Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 09:00   #1861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Are these lines that you people are mentioning are white colored line running through whole screen and actually not very much noticeable? If so then probably it's the feature to help the plasma panel not to have burned pixels(or burn in). Just check the manual if it says anything about it.
About the buzzing sound, my hunch is that most probably the grounding of your system is not proper(either the STB or the Panel). I'm using Hathway STB connected to a HT and not having any such issue.
I do not think it is a Plasma feature. It is only with Hathway. Every other PV80 owner with a DTH says their picture quality is perfect.
DVD/S-Video/PC works just perfect.
Yesterday I connected my Laptop to PV80 and set the resolution to 1280x800 (I have a widescreen laptop) and the image quality is crisp and clean. I had to do some advanced color settings in the plasma (including white balance). Available under PC setup.

I watched my Sony camcorder content yesterday on my plasma and now I am happy with the purchase of PV80.
My Sony SR300 camcorder's video is shown with full grace on the Plasma. Earlier I used to watch camcorder on my laptop and was disappointed with the picture quality of SR300. Now I realize, both my TV and camcorder are just perfect. With the advanced color settings in PC setup, I could get the real colors. Especially the deep blue sky after a heavy snow fall.

As I explore more and more, PV80 has started revealing it full capabilities.
Only small disappointment for me is the Hathway on PV80.
Old 7th November 2008, 10:13   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Only small disappointment for me is the Hathway on PV80.
lets take this a step further - how old is your hathway box - maybe it is too old and incapable - I am using a 10 month old hathway box (model is humax nd-1200c) and I have no issues on pv80. Also even if you do have the same hathway humax nd-1200c, the firmware on it maybe older. I have a 2nd 5 month old hathway box (same model) but the firmware is new and look/feel of GUI on that is totally different.
I asked the hathway guy to firmware upgrade my older hathway to new firmware and they said no such option.

So you see there are multiple factors here - your hathway box model, firmware, rca cable. If you can't find the culprit call the hathway guy and threaten him a bit
Old 7th November 2008, 10:25   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
lets take this a step further - how old is your hathway box - maybe it is too old and incapable - I am using a 10 month old hathway box (model is humax nd-1200c) and I have no issues on pv80. Also even if you do have the same hathway humax nd-1200c, the firmware on it maybe older. I have a 2nd 5 month old hathway box (same model) but the firmware is new and look/feel of GUI on that is totally different.
I asked the hathway guy to firmware upgrade my older hathway to new firmware and they said no such option.

So you see there are multiple factors here - your hathway box model, firmware, rca cable. If you can't find the culprit call the hathway guy and threaten him a bit
Mine is more than 2 years old. Do not have the model number handy.
Also another observation is the poor signal quality via direct antenna port even on my Sony CRT. But this CRT does a good job with the composite output from hathway.
So it is either the STB or the distribution system which is bad in my case.
My only way out is a DTH I guess. Which one and when is the question I have. Should I wait for an HDMI ready STB?
Old 7th November 2008, 10:51   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Should I wait for an HDMI ready STB?
i would suggest if you can then do wait - dishtv was going to launch a dvr capable dth with hdmi out, however it got delayed. But now that tatasky plus has arrived (non-hdmi dvr dth), dishtv will be launching its hdmi dvr dth soon. Also the other guys like airtel, etc will soon follow suit and hathway hdmi stb may not be far behind. So its only a matter of time
One more pointer if you have an HT with av switching and hdmi or component out - try connecting your stb to that and from HT connect to PV80's hdmi - might help
Old 7th November 2008, 11:58   #1865
BHPian

HDMI port on STB would require Analog-Digital conversion right?
I guess this is the reason our providers are refraining from providing HDMI on STB.
This is not going to be so cheap also. Lets wait and watch.

I am happy with PC and DVD connectivity on my PV80. PC was much better than I expected with the advanced color and gamma settings.
Old 7th November 2008, 12:29   #1866
Senior - BHPian

The latest AV receivers have video processing built in. The reviews say that the video processing technologies like the "Faroudja DCDi Video Processing" etc are very effective upscaling regular SD video to full HD 1080p

I am looking at this option

Here is a brilliant explanation.. the white paper itself!

Genesis Microchip Inc.

Last edited by kb100 : 7th November 2008 at 12:32. Reason: Added Link
Old 7th November 2008, 16:21   #1867
Senior - BHPian

The Panny Distributor just called -- My PV80 is on its way!!!!

An hour at most!cheers:
Old 7th November 2008, 16:25   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The Panny Distributor just called -- My PV80 is on its way!!!!

An hour at most!
welcome to the club cheers:
Old 7th November 2008, 16:33   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Danke Jassi!!

I am thinking of not using the wall mount because both my walls are perpendicular to a huge west facing French window. It get really bright and the reflections can be maddening!

Anyone using the pedestal stand here - the one it comes with? Is it nice and stable??

Last edited by kb100 : 7th November 2008 at 16:37.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:36   #1870
BHPian

Hey congrats on your new buy.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:50   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Danke Jassi!!

Anyone using the pedestal stand here - the one it comes with? Is it nice and stable??
i don't trust wall mounts - i use the pedestal stand and its nice - can be rotated if needed - besides its the same glossy black color as pv80 and goes very well with the over all setup

Last edited by jassi : 7th November 2008 at 16:51.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:00   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i don't trust wall mounts - i use the pedestal stand and its nice - can be rotated if needed - besides its the same glossy black color as pv80 and goes very well with the over all setup

Moreover its a rented house - I assume the bolts are rather thick so the landlord isn't likely to be too happy when we vacate ( tentatively in another 6 months)

I have another issue - I have a 'tree stump' TV stand - which is quite high off the floor. This is what my 20 odd kgs CRT is perched on . While this will get the plasma at the perfect viewing height, I am worried about overall stability. I was wondering if it'd be worthwhile investing in a TV Stand/Trolley of some sort.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:33   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Moreover its a rented house - I assume the bolts are rather thick so the landlord isn't likely to be too happy when we vacate ( tentatively in another 6 months)

I have another issue - I have a 'tree stump' TV stand - which is quite high off the floor. This is what my 20 odd kgs CRT is perched on . While this will get the plasma at the perfect viewing height, I am worried about overall stability. I was wondering if it'd be worthwhile investing in a TV Stand/Trolley of some sort.
i am in a rented house too also my pv80 with pedestal stand as well as previous sony 42" 3lcd and 29" samsung crt have all been sitting on a nice glossy black trolley (with wheel locks) made out of wrought iron - don't risk it get a trolley!!
Old 7th November 2008, 18:17   #1874
Senior - BHPian

The Plasma has come - but my Tata Sky set top box still hasnt ! - and if the call centre is to be believed then it'll be next saturday by the time it gets activated!!
Old 7th November 2008, 18:45   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
The Plasma has come - but my Tata Sky set top box still hasnt ! - and if the call centre is to be believed then it'll be next saturday by the time it gets activated!!

This is strange. The activation for me was done by the installer in few minutes after the installation. Also I bought the STB from a nearby shop in the evening and the installation was done the next day around 10AM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks