Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 12:09   #1891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
HELP

I have connected my Philips DVP5986k to my PV80 via both component and HDMI.

While I get video I am unable to get sound on HDMI!
The setup is in the DVD player. Go to the setup menu on the DVD remote and in the sound setup section, enable the digital ouput. I think it would be setup for Analog by default and I was able to get the sound through HDMI after doing this setup.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:07   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
The setup is in the DVD player. Go to the setup menu on the DVD remote and in the sound setup section, enable the digital output. I think it would be setup for Analog by default and I was able to get the sound through HDMI after doing this setup.

Yup! I figured that out - forgot to post!

The manual asks us to enable the HDMI output. But I found that one has to enable the 'Digital out' first - but that is accessible ONLY with the HDMI output turned OFF (telling you - the people who think these up...!!). So for the any other person stuck with this with this brand of DVD's here's what you need to do.

1. Go to Setup> Digital Audio Setup - Here you will find three options Digital Output, LPCM Output, and HDMI Audio Setup.

2. Go to HDMI Audio Setup and ensure it is set to off (Hint: the other two options mentioned above will be greyed out if HDMI is set on on - If its not greyed out proceed directly to Step 3)

3. Select Digital Output and out of the options given set it to "ALL"

4. Now go back to HDMI Audio Setup and set it to "ON".

5. Exit Setup.

Sit back and enjoy sound in all its digital glory!!

Last edited by kb100 : 10th November 2008 at 13:08.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:42   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Mate, the last 4-5 pages are only info on the best 42 inch deal in bangalore. Just read it and you would know. The crux, the best tv is Panasonic PV80 priced 56.5k bought at Devi and best VFM is Panasonic PV8 priced at 50K again at Devi.
PS: We are going for Plasma than LCD.
I didnt find much on the samsung or LG in the discussions. Someone was suggesting me samsung much better and crispier than sony bravia. I also dont find samsung in the 42 inch category. They have only 40 and 46 that fall in my choice. Only plasmas available in 42 category. Any reason for you to go for plasma ? Its cheaper than LCD right ?

Last edited by shajufx : 10th November 2008 at 13:43.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:46   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Any reason for you to go for plasma ? Its cheaper than LCD right ?
The last 35 odd pages are full of information on Plasma vs LCD. I'd recommend you read up from about page 81 onwards - you'll get enough information to arrive at your own conclusion.

Last edited by kb100 : 10th November 2008 at 21:48.
Old 11th November 2008, 14:12   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for thet tip. I was lazy to go through so many pages, but I know it will be worth the time. The impression I got from the last 3 or 4 pages was a Panasonic club taking shape and many members jumping into it with best deals from different places. I am almost finalising on Samsung, but Plasma or LCD is still a question, I will finish reading the pages and comment.
Old 11th November 2008, 15:59   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for thet tip. I was lazy to go through so many pages, but I know it will be worth the time. The impression I got from the last 3 or 4 pages was a Panasonic club taking shape and many members jumping into it with best deals from different places. I am almost finalising on Samsung, but Plasma or LCD is still a question, I will finish reading the pages and comment.
It is true that quiet few of us have purchased the Panasonic plasma in the last couple of weeks but the deal alone was not the driving factor for the decision. Some of us has done our homework for several months before we finalized and the deal was just a bonus. I'm yet to come across a TV review that said Panasonic Plasma sucked.
Old 11th November 2008, 18:24   #1897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
I am almost finalising on Samsung, but Plasma or LCD is still a question, I will finish reading the pages and comment.
You need to narrow down on technology first and then only you can select the brand.
Samsung plasmas are not in competition with Panasonic plasmas.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:14   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
It is true that quiet few of us have purchased the Panasonic plasma in the last couple of weeks but the deal alone was not the driving factor for the decision. Some of us has done our homework for several months before we finalized and the deal was just a bonus. I'm yet to come across a TV review that said Panasonic Plasma sucked.
A friend of mine was looking for an LCD and I read reviews for 2-3 months !! and told him to go for panny plasma. I was so mesmerized with the reviews, that I replaced my hardly 1 yr old sony 3lcd with the panny without thinking twice. Infact I got the panny before my friend did and I got the pv80 and he got the pv8. So impressed I was with this baby and let me just say I am more than glad I made the decision - try watching hathway or tatasky on or non-hd stuff on any LCD and you will know why plasmas are better.
IMHO - if you are looking at plasmas, pioneers are best, but pannys are a good second.
Old 12th November 2008, 00:33   #1899
BHPian

Panasonic Viera TH-50PY850 (50-inch plasma) Review

Just check this link. Panasonic Viera TH-50PY850 (50-inch plas... | 2008 News | About Panasonic | Panasonic Singapore The actual source is Tech product reviews for mobile phones, notebooks, handhelds, digital cameras - CNET Asia The last few lines read as '..Taking everything into consideration, the Panasonic TH-50PY850 is mostly on par or even better than our reference Pioneer LX Kuro in motion reproduction and features. At almost half the price of the latter and with limited comparable 2008 entries plus a proven anti-judder engine, this Viera is probably one of the best options for a full-HD plasma TV..'

Last edited by vvrchandra : 12th November 2008 at 00:45.
Old 12th November 2008, 23:09   #1900
BHPian

Has anybody used or reviewed LG Plasma 32" TV? They are being offered at good price (<30K). Its resolution is 480p. Is it a good value for money?
Old 12th November 2008, 23:19   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Has anybody used or reviewed LG Plasma 32" TV? They are being offered at good price (<30K). Its resolution is 480p. Is it a good value for money?
whats the point of a 480p plasma - one of those slim crts would be as good if not better. Unless you have space constraints and need something that looks good and can be wall mounted. I would say a minimum of hd ready (720p/1080i) is the way to go
Old 13th November 2008, 00:05   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Atlast I finished the last 45 odd pages as kb100 suggested, taking around 36 hours (I am working too !). It was giving more opinions on the plasma again, 80% of it surrounding PV80 or PV8.

Few things that keep me away from plasmas; 1) Its heavier than an LCD, 2) It consumes 30% more power than an LCD, 3) Produces more heat and has screen burn chances, 4) many reviews and forums suggesting a plasma if one is considering anything above 50 inches.

Reasons for me to swing towards LCD; 1) Its thinner, safer and sexy on any wall, 2) considering only 42 or 46 inch for my living room, 3) better for a well lit room, 4) saves some power.

Presently I am looking at Samsung 5 and 6 series (65k to 85k price range), also LG Jazz and Scarlet series. Best features I liked is LG Jazz 42LG80FR model (85k) with 50 Watts (10+10+30 W) audio out, 210 watts power consumption, just 22 kg weight. But so far not heard any decent user review on this model.

So, is there anyone other than members of the Pana gang here who can comment on samsung or LG ? Its a greatly appreciated help, I have already given the green signal to the interior guy to design and fix my TV wall cabinet which is specially designed only for an LCD screen. So, I have to decide and get the LCD in the next 10 days. Interior guy will need the LCD wall bracket to complete their work with the hollow area behind the wall panels. Please suggest !
Old 13th November 2008, 00:13   #1903
BHPian

I had been to Panasonic showroom this evening and was having a chat with the sales person and he mentioned that they have a got communication about a price increase of 15% across the segments. He was not pushing me for sale as he was aware of my recent PV80 purchase and there is no reason for him to give me a false information so people who are thinking of Pana should hurry up.
Old 13th November 2008, 07:46   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
whats the point of a 480p plasma - one of those slim crts would be as good if not better. Unless you have space constraints and need something that looks good and can be wall mounted. I would say a minimum of hd ready (720p/1080i) is the way to go
May be its only me. But when I compared the pictures on LG 32 Plasma side by side with Philips 5000 series and Samsung 4 & 5 series, I felt LG 480p produced crisper and richer pictures of same depth and it definitely had better black levels. I even got a full HD 1080p video played on this. It played flawlessely and pictures were as sharp and crisp with a full HD tv (which were also playing them at the same time).

Now I am totally confused about this 480p / 1080p thing. Should I believe my eye OR is there anything silly about a 32 plasma?
Old 13th November 2008, 09:32   #1905
BHPian

Quote:

Few things that keep me away from plasmas; 1) Its heavier than an LCD, 2) It consumes 30% more power than an LCD, 3) Produces more heat and has screen burn chances, 4) many reviews and forums suggesting a plasma if one is considering anything above 50 inches.

Reasons for me to swing towards LCD; 1) Its thinner, safer and sexy on any wall, 2) considering only 42 or 46 inch for my living room, 3) better for a well lit room, 4) saves some power.
I too have done enough research before I decided for my PV80. I respect your decision to by an LCD, but I thought PV80 is great value for money product and much practical than a FullHD LCD.

#1 Yes it is heavier than LCD. If you plan for wall mount, LCD may be preferable.

#2 Plasma averages out the power consumption over a period of time with LCD as the plasma consumes power according to the image displayed on screen. LCDs consume same amount of power in spite of the nature of picture displayed.On an LCD back-lit has to be always on. This is proven.

#3 Yes, plasmas produce heat, but it is really negligible. Considering the size of the TV, the heat dissipation is much faster. I feel, the heat produced by my Laptop is more uncomfortable than my Plasma. Burn in has become a myth. Have you heard of anyone complaining about burn-in in last 3 years?

#4 Brighter room. Plasmas are better for Living room kind of area and LCDs are for bright lit halls and break areas.

#5 Picture quality. Plasmas are still leading in natural color and contrast. It produces deeper blacks which gives better 3-D feeling. The details displayed on plasmas are more superior than LCD. Even the best LCD produced today only matches with an above average plasma (such as PV80) in this regard.

#6 What do you want to watch. If you want to do lot of PC stuff and HD movies, you can prefer LCD. But if you want a TV for your SD DTH and SD Home Theaters, plasmas will do better job at cheaper price.

#7 These days plasmas look as cute as LCDs. The thickness is hardly few cm more.

Since you have already decided on the LCD, I would suggest you to go ahead. After all you are best to decided what you need. I just wanted to put my views.

Most Viewed