Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 11:05   #6061
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
In 2006, I had bought a 50 inch plasma for 2L. I know, that price sounds so crazy now. TV prices have really come down. Anyway, two years back I moved that TV to office for use with CCTV, which is on most of the time. Recently the display as well as the power supply conked off and repair cost is estimated to be 39K. You can buy a new LCD for that price, so I haven't bothered to repair it.

But I need a new TV, at least 42 inch for CCTV display. Which kind of TV can run 24 hours without much issues?
For such long running hours, look for an LED TV.they have less power consumption and longer screen life.
A basic LED from Samsung should do the trick
Old 17th October 2012, 11:24   #6062
BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,
few days back, even I had nearly finalized the 42XT50D, but bit more research and money stretch made me buy 42UT50D. The main difference: Full HD, 2500 Hz. just my two cents.

I dropped the printer offer, as the cartridge costs a bomb. for extra 3d glasses, you can check Samsung SSG-4100GB which are MRP-1300 whereas Pana costs 4900 ! I have written on this TV few pages back.

cant confirm, but hopefully Diwali would be an offer time.
Actually, I had made up my mind to get the 50UT50D. But, its rated at 330W, and my apartment's backup is limited to 250W.
So, getting the 50XT50D, which is rated at 265W, but should be around 200W during normal runs.

cheers
lazy
Old 17th October 2012, 11:52   #6063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which kind of TV can run 24 hours without much issues?
Samsung has commercials TVs. We have this in our office: http://www.samsung.com/us/business/c.../LH40HBPLBC/ZA
Old 17th October 2012, 12:29   #6064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I need a new TV, at least 42 inch for CCTV display. Which kind of TV can run 24 hours without much issues?
None of the TVs would meet this expectation on its own (I.e. run for 24/7 for years).

You need a 5 Year warranty that would cover panels + electronics. For a 42 inch display, cost of purchase and 5 year warranty would be around 65k

Caution: This would only work in Metro cities, for others you just need to buy a cheap TV and factor in possible replacement cost in couple of years.

In smaller cities, time for repair could reach 2 - 3 weeks so it would not work if you need CCTV 24/7.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:53   #6065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Actually, I had made up my mind to get the 50UT50D. But, its rated at 330W, and my apartment's backup is limited to 250W.
So, getting the 50XT50D, which is rated at 265W, but should be around 200W during normal runs.

cheers
lazy
seems your point is about backup electricity and not the features of the TV itself. My personal opinion, stick with UT. please look practically. if you foresee of big power outages, think of putting a personal UPS or inverter of 350+. do account for HD STB's power consumption. I guess you can operate a 5.1 HTiB on your apartment's backup power, or just drop it during outage.

pl excuse me if I went the wrong track.
Old 17th October 2012, 18:27   #6066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The maximum power consumption accounts for white image with brightness setting at highest, TV audio at full volume plus powered accessories etc. This will not be the actual consumption for normal usage.
Old 17th October 2012, 20:19   #6067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav

seems your point is about backup electricity and not the features of the TV itself. My personal opinion, stick with UT. please look practically. if you foresee of big power outages, think of putting a personal UPS or inverter of 350+. do account for HD STB's power consumption. I guess you can operate a 5.1 HTiB on your apartment's backup power, or just drop it during outage.

pl excuse me if I went the wrong track.
pcpranav

Valid point. UT indeed is the better one. Here are my reasons to choosing XT later.
1. In the showroom UT seemed a bit better than XT at closer distance, but from my home viewing distance of ~14 feet, both looked the same to me.
2. XT is rated at 265w vs 330w of UT. UPS isnt an option - cant justify it when backup is already there & will take up too much space in my small apartment.
3. As a family, we dont watch tv much, avg 10 hrs per week, so why spend more when XT is nice enough.

cheers
lazy (whew...so much typing)
Old 17th October 2012, 21:18   #6068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
For such long running hours, look for an LED TV.they have less power consumption and longer screen life.
A basic LED from Samsung should do the trick
Plasmas have the highest rated life of >100,000 hrs. LEDs and LCDs typically are rated for only 50,000-60,000 hrs. Plasma TV may still be the best for the application.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:29   #6069
BHPian

I am getting these below deal, please let me know if its worth the purchase.

1. Panasonic 50XT50 for 49,900 without 3D Glasses With Bill & 3yr Warranty
2. Panasonic 50XT50 for 55,900 without 3D Glasses + 3-1 Printer With Bill & 3yr Warranty
3. 0% Interest Free EMI with no processing chargers.
Old 17th October 2012, 23:48   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, what you need are "commercial panels". Panasonic and Samsung have them in their local portfolio. You may want to contact the brand shops for either brand or their respective distributors for commercial products. Believe Panasonic web site does give the option of browsing the commercial range and might give details as to the appropriate contacts.

Quote:
Old 17th October 2012, 23:54   #6071
Senior - BHPian

Searched the thread but didn't find - does anyone know the price of 50UT50?
Old 18th October 2012, 00:20   #6072
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Samurai, what you need are "commercial panels". Panasonic and Samsung have them in their local portfolio. You may want to contact the brand shops for either brand or their respective distributors for commercial products. Believe Panasonic web site does give the option of browsing the commercial range and might give details as to the appropriate contacts.
You mean this? http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...el/lcddisplays
Old 18th October 2012, 13:01   #6073
BHPian

Quote:
pcpranav

Valid point. UT indeed is the better one. Here are my reasons to choosing XT later.
1. In the showroom UT seemed a bit better than XT at closer distance, but from my home viewing distance of ~14 feet, both looked the same to me.
2. XT is rated at 265w vs 330w of UT. UPS isnt an option - cant justify it when backup is already there & will take up too much space in my small apartment.
3. As a family, we dont watch tv much, avg 10 hrs per week, so why spend more when XT is nice enough.

cheers
lazy (whew...so much typing)
understood. at the same time, though of sharing this chart, explaining about various screen resolutions vs screen size vs viewing distance : http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-tv-viewing-distance-vs-resolution-vs-screen-size-carltonbale.com.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I am getting these below deal, please let me know if its worth the purchase.

1. Panasonic 50XT50 for 49,900 without 3D Glasses With Bill & 3yr Warranty
2. Panasonic 50XT50 for 55,900 without 3D Glasses + 3-1 Printer With Bill & 3yr Warranty
3. 0% Interest Free EMI with no processing chargers.
pl read this thread few pages back. This printer is available by paying INR 2000 extra, so you point-2 is not reasonable. and the cartridge (toner) cost is ~INR 4000 - not worth !
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/KX-MB1500
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/KX-FAT407

also, I believe with 50nn50D, you get atleast 1 glass free. overall for me, the above prices seem on higher side.
Old 18th October 2012, 15:06   #6074
BHPian

For a Sony Smart TV, I need to buy a wireless dongle and 2 (additional) pairs of 3D glasses in Bangalore. Any suggestions?
Old 18th October 2012, 16:38   #6075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
For a Sony Smart TV, I need to buy a wireless dongle and 2 (additional) pairs of 3D glasses in Bangalore. Any suggestions?
either you may buy the proprietary Sony wifi dongle or can even look at universal adapters. do refer my post on pg-402.

Most Viewed