Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2013, 14:17   #6751
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
As for environment, I think DerAlte has rightly answered it. If we really want to do something about environment, then we need to switch to public transport and stop using cars. But you know and I know that that is not going to happen.
I think you've got it mixed up. In each sphere of your life use an efficient gadget as far as is practicable.
No one wants to get to extremes where we should shun ACs, cars and cooking ranges!
Old 16th June 2013, 19:47   #6752

Hello everyone,

I have long been a lurker on this wonderful forum, continuously amazed by the intelligence and passion among all the respected folks here.

I come to solicit your advise in helping me decide on a new LED TV.

I am looking to replace my now defective Videocon LCD TV (model:3205.. i.e., the in-built STB model). This wretched piece conked off within 3 years of mild-usage. With regards my usage pattern, we are very moderate users, with less than 3 hours of DTH viewing per day average.

I am looking for a acutely VFM purchase. My Budget would not exceed 28k.

I have been suggested this model Sansui SJB 40FB by a friendly neighborhood dealer. He is offering this at 28k in exchange of my present TV. Please suggest how is this particular brand?
I have also come across this set by Sharp 32" LE341M HD LED TV (for 26K). Now i am aware that Sharp is a infinitely more trusted brand in comparison to Sansui. Any views on this particular model.

Please help me out by advising on my choices. Any other suggestions are also most welcome.

Much regards,
Mushy.
Old 16th June 2013, 22:27   #6753
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I find the data put forth by you rather amusing. I do not know where you got this data from but you have exaggerated plasma consumption and understated LED consumption. Could it be that you are comparing 32 inch LED consumption to 82 inch plasma?

The brighness you spoke about in case of LED tvs is what made me go for plasma. I watch movies on my plasma with lights turned off. Try doing that on an LED tv. You will be very uncomfortable from that excessive brighness within an hour.

As for environment, I think DerAlte has rightly answered it. If we really want to do something about environment, then we need to switch to public transport and stop using cars. But you know and I know that that is not going to happen.
The data is from HDTVTEST UK which is by far the most respected review site to date.
I am comparing the data of a Sony 55" W905 LED to a Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma.

The brightness of LED can be set just as low if not go lower then a plasma when one switches on the ECO mode which takes the backlight to level lower then 0 setting .Only a few people watch in a man cave that is with lights turned off.

This is going off topic.
You can do a lot of things to save the environment and switching to LED is one of the easiest and you have very little to loose.

If one was using a 21" crt and moved to a 55" LED their will be a saving in power consumption(that saving is enough to power a CFL bulb in a village) .But if one moves from a 21" crt to a 42" plasma there will be an increase in power consumption(They are responsible for one less light in a village).
When at a time where many states in India are facing severe power crisis(Not cities ,head to the villages which have unimaginable power cuts daily, especially in summers).

Last edited by aim120 : 16th June 2013 at 22:29.
Old 16th June 2013, 23:08   #6754
Senior - BHPian

Anupmathur and aim120, none of us need any lectures form others on environment. If I'm being targeted for using plasma then I am sure I can do that to you, too, for using whatever gadgets you use. After all, none of us are hermits living away from civilisation. Aim120, your noble intentions of helping villages is appreciated. But please do not wear this environment thing on your sleeve.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:48   #6755
Senior - BHPian

FYI

TV's in the USA have some really good deals. The bigger, the better - typical American mentality! Websites like Tigerdirect.com, Frys.com and the usual suspects Bestbuy, Costco, Amazon etc. all have 40+ inch LEDs for amazing prices. A relative bought the 46inch Sony Bravia 3D LED with 2 pairs of glasses and the Skype camera for some 1199 USD - this was some 2 years back.

I was looking up deals and found some exciting ones and narrowed it down to the Samsung and LG 46-50 inch 3D LEDs for ~999 - 1299 USD to be brought back to India by my folks who are currently in the US.

An ugly shock awaits. Our beloved Air India has recently changed their baggage policies.

"If oversize baggage (including TV) is part of the free baggage allowance or is an additional piece and exceeds 80" in total linear dimensions the fee is US$ 600 to/from Chicago/New York (JFK)/Newark (EWR) . "

Linear Dimension here stands for the total of W + H + D of the packing.

For example, a 46'' Samsung LED TV (UN46D6400 the standard shipping dimensions are : 52.4" (W) x 29.1" (H) x 5.5" (D) = 87 (Total Linear Dimension)

Initially what was a flat 123$ oversize luggage fee has now been increased to a whooping 600 USD. This negates the price difference and the benefit of buying a TV from the US is lost somewhere in between. What a bummer!

Disclaimer: I have only researched the Air India website and their policies. Different airlines may have different baggage policies.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 18th June 2013 at 11:49.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:56   #6756
Senior - BHPian

^For Singapore Airlines, this would be around USD 121.
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...aggage-excess/

I assume 46" LED is less than 23kgs.
Old 18th June 2013, 13:53   #6757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
FYI

TV's in the USA have some really good deals. The bigger, the better - typical American mentality! Websites like Tigerdirect.com, Frys.com and the usual suspects Bestbuy, Costco, Amazon etc. all have 40+ inch LEDs for amazing prices. A relative bought the 46inch Sony Bravia 3D LED with 2 pairs of glasses and the Skype camera for some 1199 USD - this was some 2 years back.

I was looking up deals and found some exciting ones and narrowed it down to the Samsung and LG 46-50 inch 3D LEDs for ~999 - 1299 USD to be brought back to India by my folks who are currently in the US.

An ugly shock awaits. Our beloved Air India has recently changed their baggage policies.

"If oversize baggage (including TV) is part of the free baggage allowance or is an additional piece and exceeds 80" in total linear dimensions the fee is US$ 600 to/from Chicago/New York (JFK)/Newark (EWR) . "

Linear Dimension here stands for the total of W + H + D of the packing.

For example, a 46'' Samsung LED TV (UN46D6400 the standard shipping dimensions are : 52.4" (W) x 29.1" (H) x 5.5" (D) = 87 (Total Linear Dimension)

Initially what was a flat 123$ oversize luggage fee has now been increased to a whooping 600 USD. This negates the price difference and the benefit of buying a TV from the US is lost somewhere in between. What a bummer!

Disclaimer: I have only researched the Air India website and their policies. Different airlines may have different baggage policies.

I recently (22-Apr-13) got a 40 inch LED from EWR-MUM through Air India.

We have 2 pcs allowance on economy class ticket, if I would've checked in one bag and and one TV, I would not had paid anything extra.

But since I had 2 check in bags AND this TV, I had to pay flat $200 charge. Dealing with customs and TSA is a different story.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:41   #6758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^For Singapore Airlines, this would be around USD 121.
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...aggage-excess/

I assume 46" LED is less than 23kgs.
Which is definitely a good deal if you're travelling from the West Coast to India. From EWR, JFK, Chicago (East Coast basically) people prefer to fly Air India mostly for their timings. Once again, like you mentioned different airlines different baggage policies.

Also, for Air India the weight is not really an issue anymore. It's the "Total Linear Dimensions" that they now consider for excess baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post

We have 2 pcs allowance on economy class ticket, if I would've checked in one bag and and one TV, I would not had paid anything extra.

But since I had 2 check in bags AND this TV, I had to pay flat $200 charge. Dealing with customs and TSA is a different story.
Sure and that is because the total linear dimension of your TV w/box would be under 62'' and within 80'' for which the fees is $200.

Baggage policy for whoever wants to fly their TV's from the US to India via Air India here:

http://www.airindia.com/SBCMS/Webpag...e.aspx?MID=27#
Old 18th June 2013, 17:06   #6759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post

Would love to hear the experience, if you would like to share.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:57   #6760
Senior - BHPian

Ok...question:
Who wants to team up to buy a Panasonic plasma in Pune?

Models: 50ST50 and 50ST60 are on my list. 40GT50 is also available as far as I know.

By Saturday ST60 would be in brand shops. ST50 is already available.

Edit: Mumbai guys can also participate, but you need to arrange for your own transport to take the TV back home.
Old 20th June 2013, 21:39   #6761
BHPian

Quote:
I would say close your eyes and buy plasma. Here is why.

Power consumption is 114 Watt per hour for Samsung 60 inch LED tv. Check out the link.

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/t...S8000RXZN-spec

And it is 290 Watt per hour for Samsung 64 inch plasma. Here is the link for that.

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/t...8000GRXZN-spec

The diff in watt per hour is 290 - 114 = 176 watt hour. 3hour daily into 30 days usage means 176 X 90 = 15840 watt-hour excess power consumed. 15840 watt-hour = 15.840 Units. Here in my state, per unit is Rs.6/- So, 15.840 X 6 = Rs.95/-.

So, it would be just Rs.100 per month excess, over equal sized LED. Now, tell me, is it too much? This explains why DerAlte says he doesn't notice any spike in power bills.

Now coming to supriority of plasma over LEDs with regard to picture quality, it is well chronicled all over the net. Just google and find out. I am extremely happy with plasma. Picture quality is superb and so is 3D. Only, the stock speakers are a joke. But that has nothing to do with plasma. All stock speakers are useless whther plasma or LED. And yes, 2D to 3D conversion also is not good at all. Again, this has nothing to do with plasma. But yes, original 3D content reproduction is mind-blowing.

I have been using the 2013m model Samsung plasma 64" for the past 2 days the results are excellent beautiful picture quality HD looks great motion control is awesome voice command is not perfect, moreover the heat generated by the TV is heavy you can even feel it if u stand close by I am just wondering what will happen to the electronics componet in the TV and also plastic cabinet?

The best price i got is from Girias for 1.88 for cash MRP is 2.8 but one of my friend who is the head for Samsung chennai got me a better deal than the above price for this model sorry i can't disclose the price.

I was the first person to be delivered this model in T.N among 7 bookings from seeing the net itself. The credit for buying this particular model entirely goes to pgsagar for his detailed analysis of the power consumption and all my queries where answered by him patiently thank you pgsagar once again.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 20th June 2013 at 21:43.
Old 21st June 2013, 14:47   #6762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I have been using the 2013m model Samsung plasma 64" for the past 2 days the results are excellent beautiful picture quality HD looks great motion control is awesome voice command is not perfect, moreover the heat generated by the TV is heavy you can even feel it if u stand close by I am just wondering what will happen to the electronics componet in the TV and also plastic cabinet?
For that kind of 'investment', I would take extra precautions:
1. Use a servo stabilizer to protect the circuit.
2. Use air-conditioning so that the heat built-up around the TV is not much. Chennai is perennially hot and humid. Closed room also protects the TV from dust.
3. For humidity, put a few packets of silica gel around the TV on the back side (away from the kids as well)

Where are the pictures? How is the motion handling on this set?
Old 23rd June 2013, 14:28   #6763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post

The best price i got is from Girias for 1.88 for cash MRP is 2.8 but one of my friend who is the head for Samsung chennai got me a better deal than the above price for this model sorry i can't disclose the price.

I was the first person to be delivered this model in T.N among 7 bookings from seeing the net itself. The credit for buying this particular model entirely goes to pgsagar for his detailed analysis of the power consumption and all my queries where answered by him patiently thank you pgsagar once again.
Thank you satyaprakash. Good to know you are enjoying your 64er. I am, too. BTW, your must be F series. Mine is E series. may be 2012 left over. So, yours must be one up over mine, more improved.

Yes, you are right about heat. I felt that, too. I have airconditioned the living room so no problem there. But yes, this appears to be only down side of plasma. Try 3D movies. Recently I palyed Madagascar 3 , downloaded from the net and it was simply superb. BTW, any home theatre connected to tv? The stock speakers are useless.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:24   #6764
BANNED

LG - Dead LED Panel - Ever Happened to you? What next

Well, with larger screens available in market, most of us must be having one at home for sure. Bigger the better and of course costlier. All good till now, but what about durability of such products which costs close to 1 Lakh or even more?

Sharing my own issue and looking for some advice in case you have gone through same situation and if you know connect details - somebody in LG India.

Problem Statement: My – Not even 3 year old – 42 inch LG LED has stopped working due to Dead Panel – Repair cost 18600/-

A Panel (it is screen where we see picture) is a core component of a LED, how can it die with in 3 years with usage of 2/3 hours a day especially when it is manufactured by LG wherein any customer would expect better quality, hassle free ownership? I am sure, panel didn’t die due to its natural life hours. Avg life may be 5000 hours.

I had invested close to 80,000 in LG LED and how can a customer expect failure of such high value product with in 3 years? That too a core component like LED Panel?

I was curious to know how many hours panel lasted, but technician said there is no such facility to know this even using OBD. It is a common feature in Sony Led.

I tried meeting Manager in-charge however he was caught up and could not meet me (I could see him seating his cubicle). I found it very interesting, a customer service centre manager don’t have time to meet a customer !!

So i got connected to Mr Prasad <jeevendra.prasad@gmail.com> who happens to be Head - LG India - Services. Even after seven days of sending mail and 3 reminders, No Reply at all. Call to his mobile, unanswered !!

Most funny part – I have been told that replacement panel will come with 6 months warranty but it will not be WRITTEN anywhere. It is a verbal assurance. Why? Does that mean LG doesn’t trust replacement parts when it comes to quality/durability?

Some Disclosures:

1. I have quite few LG products at my place including a Microwave, Mobile etc.

2. I have dedicated digital voltage regulator specially designed for LED by V guard so it is not foul play of voltage.

3. My trust in LG is seriously shaken. Just trying to restore that.

4. Being in nuclear family, daily usage of TV is not more than 2/3 hours max and zero on weekend.

So i am stuck here and would appreciate some advice and similar real life experiences and how you resolved it.

Thanks.

@Mods: Could not locate similar thread where in members sharing their experiences about high value products like LED going kaput and company turning cold shoulder to quality promises.

Last edited by idea : 26th June 2013 at 22:42.
Old 26th June 2013, 22:33   #6765
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an lg, 42lv5500,and a couple of days back, there was no picture, just sound. One local techie has taken the power supply board, saying that may be the problem.
All this in less than one year.

Most Viewed