Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 19:01   #7261
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hi Guys, Looking for a Screen.
I bought the LG 23" TV/monitor for 13k two years ago. Initially it served as a monitor. Then we got a large monitor and this replaced out CRT TV. It is still in use.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th March 2014 at 13:46.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:15   #7262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I bought the LG 23" TV/monitor for 13k two years ago. Initially it served as a monitor. Then we got a large monitor and this replaced out CRT TV. It is still in use.
Was the resolution of your TV/monitor similar to mine?
Too much jargon on their site.IPS panel/zero black dots/blah blah..

Does that translate to good/ok/Nice picture quality?

If someone has good experience with it's overall quality - I will go ahead with it.
Will look for reviews tonight.

Thanks, Aroy - some more information please!

--

Getting this deal:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/micr...s-hd/417760978
MM 32 " TV/Monitor @ 16276 INR (free delivery).

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 24th March 2014 at 19:22.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:56   #7263
BHPian

Quote:
Getting this deal:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/micr...s-hd/417760978
MM 32 " TV/Monitor @ 16276 INR (free delivery).

Ace.
Have you checked this panel in showrooms? I did and frankly hated the color reproduction. The Indian cricket teams blue jersey was looking like it has been whitewashed

I was in market to pick Toshiba btw.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:34   #7264
BHPian

My Toshiba 39" LED 39P2305 is here. Bought on Ebay for Rs 33741 after using a coupon

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20140324_205926.jpg

Was shipped from Punjab and delivered in 6 days

Seller had packed the item well and used this wooden frame for protection.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20140324_183533.jpg
Old 25th March 2014, 07:53   #7265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
one way to insure is to buy extended warranty or 3rd insurance like the TATA AIG which covers household products upto 50k. check out their website.
Please double check if the extended warranty covers the display panel. I had a similar insurance for my Samsung smart phone from Oriental insurance. I came to know that the insurance didn't cover the display only when it got kaput after 1.5 years of purchase.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:20   #7266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Have you checked this panel in showrooms? I did and frankly hated the color reproduction. The Indian cricket teams blue jersey was looking like it has been whitewashed
Hmmm.. I see!
I only got this Micromax TV/Monitor idea Sunday night, planning to check it out at some electronics store this weekend.
Could it be - that the one you saw was not calibrated properly?

I was only going ahead with assumption:
LED/LCD market has evolved well & low cost options should be at least at par with 5~6/10 in picture quality.

I saw one video review online (there aren't many) - it said, the TV lacks "upscaling" - so SD content / lower than native resolution content is likely to be pixelated & have not-good reproduction.

Thanks for the help!

Ace.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:27   #7267
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.. I see!
I only got this Micromax TV/Monitor idea Sunday night, planning to check it out at some electronics store this weekend.
Could it be - that the one you saw was not calibrated properly?
Possible but then the salesman was quite interested in selling me the piece so ill assume that it was calibrated properly. Please do visit a store to confirm before ordering. Also why not a full HD TV? I think it shows pc resolutions properly. Do check.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:29   #7268
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Does it make sense to buy a Plasma TV considering that very few plasma TVs are sold as compared to LCDs.

I am looking at this - http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-42PN4500-plasma-tv
Old 25th March 2014, 12:46   #7269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Does it make sense to buy a Plasma TV considering that very few plasma TVs are sold as compared to LCDs.

I am looking at this - http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-42PN4500-plasma-tv
Here are my 2cents on this.
Given the screen size vs price ratio it’s definitely a bang for the buck.

However I would advise you to consider these points and make your final decision, and this is not based on the Plasma factor.

My only concern would be the resolution it offers, it is 1024 x 768, though this is an acceptable resolution for a 42 inch, it is not Full HD. Full HD is 1920 x 1080.
Do your own tests, download couple of 1080p + 720p movie clips (you will get them from www.hd-trailers.net. Ask the showroom guys to play them one by one and evaluate the following .
- Fast moving action scenes – Is the picture clear or is it blur ?
- Blacks – Are they true blacks or are they gray (You would not have any issue here given it’s a plasma)
- Full HD clarity that you are getting i.e 1080p, 720p clarity , clarity of SD content given the big screen size.
- Ask them to connect it to a Tata Sky or any other set top box so you know what clarity you would be getting.
If all the above were ok to your satisfaction just go ahead.
Note: when doing these test also compare the results with an LED TV at the same showroom.
Power consumption, you can check on this part, Although the specs do show some "Smart Energy saving technology etc" not too sure on that. Would be definitely more than an LED.

In the event of failure they are all the same, LED’s fail and so do Plasma’s. The company will anyway replace/service it. Here you are getting the price advantage too for a 42inch size.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the direction of Plasma technology.

Next factor, do you need a SMART TV ?
My take on this is No.

Why ? because you can make your TV SMART in a cheaper way.
Buy a 7 – 10k Samsung Blu Ray Player that comes with all the Samsung SMART TV apps. Plus it can play blu rays and play almost all formats via its USB port. Has n/w connectivity + wifi , and support external disks upto 3TB in size. So save the money they charge you to get a SMART TV.

best of luck and let us know what you decided
Old 25th March 2014, 19:36   #7270
BHPian

Re: Samsung LED TV 46" busted in just 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post

Are you sure? I am in the belief that unless a physical damage is occurred those household items cannot be claimed under warranty.
thats the regular insurance policy, i am talking about this:

Here is the overview:
http://www.bajajallianz.com/Corp/pro...useholders.jsp

Here is the policy details:
http://www.bajajallianz.com/Corp/con...r_brochure.PDF
Old 25th March 2014, 22:43   #7271
BHPian

Quote:
My Toshiba 39" LED 39P2305 is here. Bought on Ebay for Rs 33741 after using a coupon

Was shipped from Punjab and delivered in 6 days

Seller had packed the item well and used this wooden frame for protection.
Pls share the feedback of the TV. Initially I was considering this model but later shifted to 39L3300 from Snapdeal since it has better refresh rate, in built Youtube app and screen mirroring facility. However, the sound on P2305 is better due to the sound bar. VFM television's.
Old 26th March 2014, 06:54   #7272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Pls share the feedback of the TV. Initially I was considering this model but later shifted to 39L3300 from Snapdeal since it has better refresh rate, in built Youtube app and screen mirroring facility. However, the sound on P2305 is better due to the sound bar. VFM television's.
Yes the sound is great. AFAIK P2305 also has 100hz refresh rate like L3300. But it lacks youtube/mirroring etc. I did a short photologue here http://www.hifivision.com/television...-39p2305e.html
Old 26th March 2014, 07:27   #7273
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the sound is great. AFAIK P2305 also has 100hz refresh rate like L3300. But it lacks Youtube/mirroring etc. I did a short photologue here http://www.hifivision.com/television...-39p2305e.html

Great, that would definitely return some search results for this TV

I could not find a single review before buying the TV and had to rely on the demo in the store. I plan to write a review on Snapdeal to help prospective buyers. Did you try playing games or watch cricket and was the experience better as Toshiba claims it to be ?
Old 26th March 2014, 07:40   #7274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Great, that would definitely return some search results for this TV

I could not find a single review before buying the TV and had to rely on the demo in the store. I plan to write a review on Snapdeal to help prospective buyers. Did you try playing games or watch cricket and was the experience better as Toshiba claims it to be ?
Games not yet as I dont have a Playstation and laptop does not have HDMI. Will try via S-Video cable.
About second point, I dont know really. I am happy with the output but this weekend some friends are coming in to check the TV. Will compare with Sony and Samsung 40 inchers that time

And yes this is the first review for P2305.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:43   #7275
BHPian

I am in market for a TV for my parents. They do not use HD/ Net etc on the TV. I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. Please suggest a VOM model with good service/ warranty.

Most Viewed