Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:01   #7306
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Never heard of Vu stateside. It is a brand marketed by the Patnis of Patni computers fame, actually the founders daughter created this brand. Sourcing is from the usual China, PRC etc etc.
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:29   #7307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How is Vu brand of TV's? Snap deal is having a tempting offer for these brand. I am intersted in a 50" LED TV and Vu is being offered for 50K. I am told that Vu is a reputed brand in the US, anyone opted for this from the geneal Korean/Japanese brands?
Vu is just "made in china" product that is marketed in India by Zenith.

Having said that, it is a pretty decent product. Plus point is, being Zenith; you can pay 15k more and they will add a PC inside TV itself (+Wireless keyboard mouse).

This would turn TV into full blown media center.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:30   #7308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Out of curiosity visite Croma retail which is the only authorized showroom to display the VU brand. I saw a 50" LED 3D model 50K310 which acco to Croma was already obsolete. The Picture quality was OKish not superb in comparisson to the LG/Samsun/Sony's. The Blacks were too black, the picture had a flaking effect. The sales guy reasoned it for displaying SD content on 3D TV. The panel had all USB/HDMI slots at the sides. Price was 64K with ony the display piece available and an offer of 10% discount.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:57   #7309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity visite Croma retail which is the only authorized showroom to display the VU brand. I saw a 50" LED 3D model 50K310 which acco to Croma was already obsolete. The Picture quality was OKish not superb in comparisson to the LG/Samsun/Sony's. The Blacks were too black, the picture had a flaking effect. The sales guy reasoned it for displaying SD content on 3D TV. The panel had all USB/HDMI slots at the sides. Price was 64K with ony the display piece available and an offer of 10% discount.
I would avoid "only one piece available" situation. For all you know the display piece has been there for a long time, and unless there is a solid warranty and a steep discount avoid it.

If there is a warranty for panel replacement then you may go for it. I bough an LG 24" monitor which was on display for nearly one year. I got a solid discount on it. After two months the monitor had multiple column failure. LG just replaced the panel with a new one. Now after more than 4 years it is still going strong.
Old 25th April 2014, 12:19   #7310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity visite Croma retail which is the only authorized showroom to display the VU brand.
VU has its own retail presence too. In Mumbai, there are stores in Inorbit Malad, Andheri and Phoenix in town.

In VU stores, you can specify which panel and configuration of PC to be included. They will build that TV for you.

Since they tend to use cheaper panels, TV will work fine as long as source of the content is DTH HD/ DVD etc.

If you use high quality content like Bly Ray, difference will be apparent in quality of panels.
Old 26th April 2014, 13:23   #7311
BHPian

VU prices are tempting, a relative, picked up their get three TVs for 99k from the Phoenix Mills Mumbai showroom, its been a year and no issues on all three units. If i re-collect he had mentioned, 40' led, 32" led and 24" Led were part of the package.

The clarity and picture on the VUs are not bad, but i reckon it lacks brand imagery.
Old 29th April 2014, 22:10   #7312
BHPian

My Panasonic plasma TV bought in Sep 2012 has started having vertical black bar intermittently. This bar is about 8" wide at about 1/3rd of panel width and there is no picture display at all in the black bar portion. There is no specific interval and reason as to the timing it comes on. So can't call the company technician right now because it might not occur when they visit. Will wait and watch.
Old 30th April 2014, 00:10   #7313
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My Panasonic plasma TV bought in Sep 2012 has started having vertical black bar intermittently. This bar is about 8" wide at about 1/3rd of panel width and there is no picture display at all in the black bar portion. There is no specific interval and reason as to the timing it comes on. So can't call the company technician right now because it might not occur when they visit. Will wait and watch.
I would advice you to take a high quality video when ever the problem comes. Once you have couple of video's call the technician. Ensure that the videos are taken with ambient light.
Generally, technicians try to help the customers, with some exceptions. if you can help them to understand the problem, they will help you. So, the ball is in your court now I tried the same with my AC, when it starts to make some weird noises at midnight. They understood it, and fixed it (But not completely )

Old 2nd May 2014, 17:09   #7314
BHPian

Guys,

Your inputs on these models compared:

Comparison of 22 & 24 inch FHD monitors/TVs

I will be using these to edit photos/watch youtube videos & movies off my Laptop.

Help, recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 7th May 2014, 07:46   #7315
BANNED

Is the IPS Panel feature any useful? It's not as if we are going to be applying pressure on the TV. I don't see how else the feature is useful.
Old 7th May 2014, 08:20   #7316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Having said that, it is a pretty decent product. Plus point is, being Zenith; you can pay 15k more and they will add a PC inside TV itself (+Wireless keyboard mouse).

This would turn TV into full blown media center.
Hi,
Where is this option available ? i..e the ability to have a pc embedded in the TV ?
I mean how do you go about ordering for this ? and are the pc specs configurable ?

Last edited by Fillmore : 7th May 2014 at 08:27.
Old 7th May 2014, 08:31   #7317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Where is this option available ? i..e the ability to have a pc embedded in the TV ?
Walk into any Vu owned outlet. You can select motherboard / CPU/ RAM and OS to be loaded into that.

Apart from PC, you can choose your panel / cabinet / speakers too.

Vu will "assemble" the TV with options you selected and price accordingly.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-vu_pc_tv.png

http://technologies.vu/custom/
Old 8th May 2014, 09:09   #7318
BANNED

I live in Mulund which is served by MSEB rather than BSES electricity like the rest of Bombay. It's not as good as rest of Bombay but still not bad - i.e. there are a couple of unscheduled power cuts every week for 1/2 hour (unlike in Bombay where this almost never happens). I have an inverter, but my CRT TV is currently is not connected to the inverter - but the sudden power cuts haven't really created any issues with my TV.

Now I am planning to buy a 42" LCD TV - I was wondering what is the best thing to do - will power cut when the TV is on spoil the TV (i.e. are LED/LCD TVs more sensitive than CRT)? Will connecting to inverter help? Any other solution?
Old 8th May 2014, 09:15   #7319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Now I am planning to buy a 42" LCD TV - I was wondering what is the best thing to do - will power cut when the TV is on spoil the TV ....
Power cuts will not spoil the TV; you do not need to do anything.
Old 8th May 2014, 09:19   #7320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Power cuts will not spoil the TV; you do not need to do anything.
I mean - the TV is on, there is a power cut - in this case, the TV suddenly loses power instead of the normal case where which switch of the TV with the soft off button and then switch the power off. This hasn't caused any issues with my CRT however. I don't understand electrical/electronic stuff enough to figure out if this would make a diff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks