Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 09:23   #7321
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I mean - the TV is on, there is a power cut - in this case, the TV suddenly loses power ....
No problem.
I am using my Sony 42W804A directly plugged into mains and we regularly have power outages in Delhi!
Old 8th May 2014, 12:41   #7322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I live in Mulund which is served by MSEB rather than BSES electricity like the rest of Bombay. It's not as good as rest of Bombay but still not bad - i.e. there are a couple of unscheduled power cuts every week for 1/2 hour (unlike in Bombay where this almost never happens). I have an inverter, but my CRT TV is currently is not connected to the inverter - but the sudden power cuts haven't really created any issues with my TV.

Now I am planning to buy a 42" LCD TV - I was wondering what is the best thing to do - will power cut when the TV is on spoil the TV (i.e. are LED/LCD TVs more sensitive than CRT)? Will connecting to inverter help? Any other solution?
I am using a Voltage Stabilizer from Sollatek to protect from electrical noise and surges. It has a delay feature as well, where it waits for some time after power is restored, so that there are less transitions.

So, far the product has been servicing us well.
It shows me low voltage during night time and sometime high voltage during low time. Instead of the TV handling that, the stabilizer does the correction.

I don't even put my cell phone for charging without a small spike guard in front. The mains power is unpredictable and I have experienced that it spoils the battery in a single instant - when I have plugged my charger in someone else's house. So, now I carry the portable spike guard with me everywhere.

Last edited by S_U_N : 8th May 2014 at 12:43.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:45   #7323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am using a Voltage Stabilizer from Sollatek to protect from electrical noise and surges. It has a delay feature as well, where it waits for some time after power is restored, so that there are less transitions.
Which model are you using?
A voltage stabilizer for an LCD TV is overkill, in my opinion.
Old 8th May 2014, 18:52   #7324
Senior - BHPian

The inverter will ensure that you have a seamless viewing experience.

Quote:
....Now I am planning to buy a 42" LCD TV - I was wondering what is the best thing to do - will power cut when the TV is on spoil the TV (i.e. are LED/LCD TVs more sensitive than CRT)? Will connecting to inverter help? Any other solution?

Mathur Ji, I believe S_U_N is trying to protect his TV from the infamous Puneri 'Brown Outs'. Otherwise it is definitely an overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Which model are you using?
A voltage stabilizer for an LCD TV is overkill, in my opinion.
Old 8th May 2014, 19:09   #7325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Mathur Ji, I believe S_U_N is trying to protect his TV from the infamous Puneri 'Brown Outs'. Otherwise it is definitely an overkill.

I have an APC UPS connected to my TV. It provides me with ample time to switch off the unit safely and also it does give me a backup of 20-30 minutes. I dont know if thats good or bad, but solves all of my purpose. APC being one of the trusted brand amongst the UPS does have spike protection as well.

You may want to try this out maybe.
Old 8th May 2014, 19:21   #7326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What sort of voltages are we looking at during these brown outs?
As it is, any LCD TV today will handle right from 90 volts input to 270 volts without distress.

A voltage and spike/surge guard device can be used for peace of mind.
http://www.flipkart.com/sollatek-tvg...a-d046177ee955
Old 8th May 2014, 19:45   #7327
Senior - BHPian

Well never measured but certainly would not be as low as what can be handled by the panel itself.

Quote:
What sort of voltages are we looking at during these brown outs?
As it is, any LCD TV today will handle right from 90 volts input to 270 volts without distress.
Old 8th May 2014, 20:27   #7328
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Will a regular sine wave inverter be able to switch on before the TV loses power?
Quote:
What is a brown out?
Old 8th May 2014, 21:09   #7329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will a regular sine wave inverter be able to switch on before the TV loses power?

What is a brown out?
First question: Yes, an inverter will normally take over fast enough.

A brown out is when mains voltage hovers at very much lower levels than the stipulated nominal voltage.
Typically, you could be looking at 70 volts to about 150 volts for a 230 volts system.
Old 8th May 2014, 22:05   #7330
gemi_kk

Quote:
First question: Yes, an inverter will normally take over fast enough.
Thanks, Yes, it does.
I am on a dell desktop with a 32 inch Samsung TV monitor and its raining in hyderabad and the power is fluctuating in my area. AC not working, But Computer and internet are working fine. No reboots. No UPS. Yes, inverter works fast enough. My inverter is an Amaron make and the battery is also an amaron one. Not sure whether it is a sine wave one or not. Not sure what voltages are. It works.

Old 9th May 2014, 00:23   #7331

Quote:
I mean - the TV is on, there is a power cut - in this case, the TV suddenly loses power instead of the normal case where which switch of the TV with the soft off button and then switch the power off. This hasn't caused any issues with my CRT however. I don't understand electrical/electronic stuff enough to figure out if this would make a diff.
If you have an inverter, change its button on the back from "inv" to "ups". Your tv will work even when the lights go out (especially during changeover when lights go out) and will maintain a steady voltage.

I also went ahead and installed Godrej home stabiliser for around 5k to protect all our household stuff. that was a good investment.
Old 11th May 2014, 00:12   #7332
BHPian

As mentioned earlier my Panasonic plasma 42UT50 had developed a vertical bar. I complained on 30th April. It has not been resolved yet. Physical inspection has been done by service centre people. They said someone from Panasonic will come to take photograph and take the process forward. That has not happened yet. So I am losing patience.

I think I need to escalate. So contact details (phone number and email ID) of some higher up officials will be highly appreciated. With help from fellow member stonedsufi I had successfully contacted Mr Tomar by mail 2 years back but my mail to him this morning bounced back.
Old 11th May 2014, 06:40   #7333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
I have an APC UPS connected to my TV. It provides me with ample time to switch off the unit safely and also it does give me a backup of 20-30 minutes. I dont know if thats good or bad, but solves all of my purpose. APC being one of the trusted brand amongst the UPS does have spike protection as well.

You may want to try this out maybe.

Saikat, I have done exactly the same and have the same APC for my 46' Bravia, I also have a Belkin spike guard on top of it

I don't understand electrical much but I am assuming that now TV is protected against spike, power is uninterrupted and has complete sine wave correction

And the overall setup is cheaper than a stabiliser or a inverter

@ Gurus - please comment

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 11th May 2014, 07:59   #7334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Saikat, I have done exactly the same and have the same APC for my 46' Bravia, I also have a Belkin spike guard on top of it
Anupam . Forgot to mention, but I too have the Belkin Spike guard in similar setup.

Works out pretty well I suppose.
Old 11th May 2014, 08:06   #7335
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifightforuser31 View Post
If you have an inverter, change its button on the back from "inv" to "ups".
None of the inverters I have seen till now (including 2 I have owned) have a change from inv to ups button.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks