Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 20:43   #7471
Distinguished - BHPian

Went with a Samsung 42 in pdp with 3d. Dropped the idea of the projector for sometime later as I was getting too confused, and went to check TVs only.
One toshiba guy was offering a sweet deal on a 40 in smart 3d, but only had the display piece, for 55k. Fished some more and picked up the Samsung for 42k, 2 years warranty, 2 active 3d glasses included.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:10   #7472
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Went with a Samsung 42 in pdp with 3d. Dropped the idea of the projector for sometime later as I was getting too confused, and went to check TVs only.
One toshiba guy was offering a sweet deal on a 40 in smart 3d, but only had the display piece, for 55k. Fished some more and picked up the Samsung for 42k, 2 years warranty, 2 active 3d glasses included.
This TV is turning out to be quite fun.
It does render good 2d to 3d conversion. I painted a 10x8 ft section on the wall behind the tv black, and with a dark room, it was quite good fun to watch a non-3d Gatsby rendered by the TV.

Just wanted one clarity, though. This rendering, its more of a depth effect, than a pop-out you typically associate with #d movies?
Will getting a proper 3d content file playing on it give the pop-out effect?
Old 12th July 2014, 00:30   #7473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Just wanted one clarity, though. This rendering, its more of a depth effect, than a pop-out you typically associate with #d movies?
Will getting a proper 3d content file playing on it give the pop-out effect?
I would suggest try the sample 3D videos from LG and Samsung. They are pretty good and you can test them out personally and see the results.

Videos should be easily available for download through some sites.
Old 14th July 2014, 09:19   #7474
BHPian

Experts,

Kindly advice on below toshiba model.

Toshiba LED

In General, How;s toshiba LED;s . I am more of a CRT guy and prefer simple stuff in life. Most probably Max experiment, I will do with this TV is Hook up a home theater and a USB 1 TB Disk .

Not sure how Much HDMI / USB i need But is there any standard available as this is minimum which must be there in a LED? .
Old 14th July 2014, 13:53   #7475
Senior - BHPian

I have a Samsung smart TV (Series-6, 40F6515). When I use the YouTube App on the TV, is there a way to control the resolution? Is there a way to make sure that the 1080p clips available are actually streaming at that resolution?
Old 14th July 2014, 14:33   #7476
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I have a Samsung smart TV (Series-6, 40F6515). When I use the YouTube App on the TV, is there a way to control the resolution? Is there a way to make sure that the 1080p clips available are actually streaming at that resolution?
I think, it is dependent on bandwidth that you have. If your network is capable of delivering more speed, your video quality changes. Also youtube provides option to change the same manually. My experience after using 2 mbps and 15 mbps connections back to back on same PC.

Old 14th July 2014, 14:45   #7477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I think, it is dependent on bandwidth that you have. If your network is capable of delivering more speed, your video quality changes. Also Youtube provides option to change the same manually. My experience after using 2 mbps and 15 mbps connections back to back on same PC.
Bandwidth is not a limiting factor for me. However, I have noticed that when I play YouTube videos on my PC, they do not start playing at 1080p by default. I have to manually change it to 1080p (as you also mentioned) and then it streams in HD without any issues. I suspect that when I play HD YouTube videos directly on the TV, it doesn't start at 1080p either. However, I do not see any option to manually change the quality setting when I play YouTube videos directly on the TV.
Old 14th July 2014, 18:12   #7478
BHPian

Guys, any information/recommendations about 20 odd inch touchscreen monitors? I am assuming all of them would come with atleast one HDMI in.

The plan is to connect the Android stick and mount it either in the Kitchen or a kitchen trolley which the wifey or I could wheel around as required. Since I have a pretty reliable wifi connection in the house, having an arrangement like this would work awesomely to watch a cooking show in the kitchen or a movie in the terrace.

Any thoughts? I've seen a couple online but I'm not sure if a price of around 20K is a good buy.
Old 14th July 2014, 18:19   #7479
Senior - BHPian

Anyone figured out a way to connect your Apple devices to the TV wireless apart from Apple tv? I use youtube.com/pair for video. Works well. But cannot find any other screen mirroring options.
Old 15th July 2014, 16:07   #7480
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone, I wanted to buy a 65" or higher LED TV (full HD) with additional features of 3D, Internet TV etc within the budget of 2 lacs. But it seems I have to increase my budget for at least a lac to get one. The only one I am getting within the budget is the Plasma TV SamSung 64F8500 series 64". I was wondering if any one of you have this particular model and how good and reliable it is? (picture quality, brightness and for gaming).

Last edited by iTNerd : 15th July 2014 at 16:12.
Old 15th July 2014, 17:46   #7481
Senior - BHPian

For this size you should look at Panasonic for Plasma and Sharp, Sony & Hitachi for LED panels. Having said that, in terms of the latest connectivity/smart features Samsung is unbeatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hello everyone, I wanted to buy a 65" or higher LED TV (full HD) with additional features of 3D, Internet TV etc within the budget of 2 lacs.
Old 21st July 2014, 21:33   #7482
Senior - BHPian

Guys which is the most reliable and long lasting LED at budget of 40K and 40 inch size ? For me only size and reliability matter.

Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:07   #7483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys which is the most reliable and long lasting LED at budget of 40K and 40 inch size ? For me only size and reliability matter.

Thanks

Got a 42" Samsung for 43.5k two months back, grey market. Check this thread for reliability, If you are particular about it go with an extended warranty option with sellers like Croma, but then price is different.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:06   #7484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Thanks
You can check Toshiba P2305 or L3300 series. Comes with 3 year warranty.
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:05   #7485
Senior - BHPian

How are you concealing the wires when you install the TV on the wall. Also are these types of low profile wiring ducts available in the India? These can be painted to match the wall color.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-wiring_solution_finished.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-backsidechanneling1.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-wall_wiringsolution.jpg  

Most Viewed