Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 01:41   #7996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Anyone using Micromax TVs? They are being sold for mouthwatering prices but I doubt the reliability of the brand.
I have a 32 inch micromax at home bought around 6 months back. Regarding reliability whatever reviews I have read it should be as reliable as other tv's because have not seen much negative comments in the medium term use (less than 3 year's). Even if it fails the cost is such that you wouldn't feel the brunt and you can soon order another one and overall cost be still less than some branded tv's.
But regarding picture clarity I have my strict reservations for the tv. Picture clarity in HD mode is quite ok and you can live with it. The problem arises when you dont have HD content and you are watching movies which are not HD. For eg a Horse moving in a background of trees, as soon as the motion starts the background sharpness takes a big hit especially the leaves and the trees feel blurred. Another example is when you watch some low quality videos captured by mobile cameras as shown in news channel clips. As soon as the clip starts showing any motion the background seems wavy, blurred and it can be very very irritating to the eyes. The night scene in movies like Baby were horrible to watch as it showed pictures similar to a map showing terrain with different elevations having different shades of black / blue.
All this comes from a person who doesn't have a keen eye and would still appreciate value for money over picture calrity.
Overall the satisfaction in HD mode is ok but not in SD mode or signal quality less than HD.
Please note that I upgraded to a new HD setup box as soon as the new tv arrived.

I have experienced Samsung and LG tv's in SD mode and although they are better than Micromax but still donot feel as clear as a CRT TV.
Old 31st January 2016, 11:27   #7997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I have a 32 inch micromax at home bought around 6 months back.... ... box as soon as the new tv arrived.

I have experienced Samsung and LG tv's in SD mode and although they are better than Micromax but still donot feel as clear as a CRT TV.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Sadly I do not have an HD connection for all channels, and I am using a Panasonic 32" currently which gives very average quality. I will check out Micromax at stores and then decide on the spot. I know it can't match Sony but if it is still around Panasonic's quality, I will pick one.

In case you had any problem with the TV, how was the after sales experience by Micromax?
Old 1st February 2016, 02:36   #7998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post

In case you had any problem with the TV, how was the after sales experience by Micromax?
Touchwood I have not got any problems with the TV yet.
I just watched PK in HD and the picture quality was more than satisfactory.

Another good tv brand which is value for money is Vu having marginal cost higher than Micromax
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:44   #7999
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Hello All,

I have purchased LG 43LF6300 from Croma. This was done after weeks of research. The online portals are selling it for 48k to 50k. I got it at Croma for 51.3k with 1 year additional warranty, flexi wall mount and magic remote. Croma was having an excellent finance scheme with both Bajaj and TATA Financials which actually made the deal sweeter.

Here's what the deal was:
Listed price - 62990/-
Offered price - 55990/-
Croma 12/4 EMI scheme with zero processing fees and zero % interest.
Divide the total by 12, 55990/12 = 4666 per installment.
3 installments to be paid upfront; 4666*3 = 13989/-
1 installment paid by Croma = 4666/-
8 monthly installments of 4666/- each

Total Cost = 4666*11 = 51326/-

Coming to the TV, it is one of the latest models from LG, launched in the later half of 2015. It comes with webOS 2.0
The magic remote combined with the webOS make it an amazing experience to use. The remote acts like a mouse pointer on a computer and enables effortless browsing, selecting files, scrolling etc.

The picture and sound quality are good and I do not feel the need to invest (waste money) on external speakers right now. There are 3 HDMI and 3 USB ports which ensure you do not need to be putting your hands behind the TV often.

One thing which I did not like, was the TV Stand. It is very old design, definitely doesn't look apt for 2016.
Old 7th February 2016, 15:58   #8000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

I have purchased LG 43LF6300 from Croma. ...

That looks like a very good price for this TV with extended warranty and free installation setup.
Any reason you didn't opt for the LG 42LF6500 3D model? It seems to be at the same price point.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th February 2016 at 16:00.
Old 8th February 2016, 09:05   #8001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
That looks like a very good price for this TV with extended warranty and free installation setup.
Any reason you didn't opt for the LG 42LF6500 3D model? It seems to be at the same price point.
Honestly I never wanted to buy a 3D TV, it gives me a bad headache. Even watching 3D movies in the theater results the same.
Old 12th February 2016, 19:28   #8002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Hello All,

I have purchased LG 43LF6300 from Croma. This was done after weeks of research. The online portals are selling it for 48k to 50k. I got it at Croma for 51.3k with 1 year additional warranty, flexi wall mount and magic remote. Croma was having an excellent finance scheme with both Bajaj and TATA Financials which actually made the deal sweeter.

Here's what the deal was:

Listed price - 62990/-

Offered price - 55990/-

Croma 12/4 EMI scheme with zero processing fees and zero % interest.

Divide the total by 12, 55990/12 = 4666 per installment.

3 installments to be paid upfront; 4666*3 = 13989/-

1 installment paid by Croma = 4666/-

8 monthly installments of 4666/- each

Coming to the TV, it is one of the latest models from LG, launched in the later half of 2015. It comes with webOS 2.0

The magic remote combined with the webOS make it an amazing experience to use. The remote acts like a mouse pointer on a computer and enables effortless browsing, selecting files, scrolling etc.

The picture and sound quality are good and I do not feel the need to invest (waste money) on external speakers right now. There are 3 HDMI and 3 USB ports which ensure you do not need to be putting your hands behind the TV often.

One thing which I did not like, was the TV Stand. It is very old design, definitely doesn't look apt for 2016.

I am closing on 49 LF6300. Can you share your experience with black levels. How are the apps like Skype / YouTube? I am yet to visit the store to see.
Old 12th February 2016, 20:13   #8003
BHPian

As of now Skype although present in the TV Web os is not supported on LG tv's.
This is as per LG service center. Still better to check with lg customer care in your city before investing 5.5 k on the camera as it only works on LG camera
I have put the purchase of camera on hold as of now

Last edited by pareshraheja : 12th February 2016 at 20:15.
Old 13th February 2016, 21:39   #8004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I am closing on 49 LF6300...
I finally took the plunge and went for 49LF6300 for 68.5K with 2 year LG warranty (1st year full and second year on panel).
Decided to opt for additional 2 year insurance of 4.5K extra as I've come across many instances of these new age LED panels, electronics going kaput quite untimely with high replacement costs.

Felt tempted to opt for 49'' 4K UHD model at the last minute, but didnt feel the additional Rs 20K over the HD model worthwhile as there is hardly any 4K content to view.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th February 2016 at 21:45.
Old 15th February 2016, 00:10   #8005
BHPian

I am in the market for a 55" TV. Earlier shortlisted the LG 55UF850T which was for 1.89L and the Croma guys came down till 1.57L. I am inclined towards this since its a 4K, 3D and smart tv.
The SA suggested the android tv from Sony which was on a special discount. kdl-55w800c which was 1.24L, now 1.19L. Its the 3D LED model with active glasses. The Manager offered a flat discount on 2 glasses and so the final price was 1.16L. After some cajoling, the Manager offered to provide another 5-6K discount on the day of purchase by verifying my past track records with them. So can get this particular model for 1.1L.

I am confused!!! LG or Sony? Should i be future proof by purchasing the 4k model from LG? Or settle for the revolutionary android tv from Sony?
Old 15th February 2016, 09:32   #8006
BHPian

[quote=dre@ms;3913048The SA suggested the android tv from Sony which was on a special discount. kdl-55w800c which was 1.24L, now 1.19L. Its the 3D LED model with active glasses[/QUOTE]

Just reconfirm with the manager if 800C series is Active 3D Andriod Version.

I was under the impression that 950C series was only the Andriod Version in the market with 3D Active
Old 15th February 2016, 11:24   #8007
BHPian

The apps such as Youtube and Netflix work well. I haven't checked the Skype app and neither do I have a web cam for this. I use my laptop to Skype so wouldn't be able to help here.
The blacks are good. I have watched Football and Cricket on the TV and there was no motion blur. I am impressed by both the picture and sound quality.
Old 15th February 2016, 12:24   #8008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am in the market for a 55" TV. Earlier shortlisted the LG 55UF850T which was for 1.89L and the Croma guys came down till 1.57L. I am inclined towards this since its a 4K, 3D and smart tv.
The SA suggested the android tv from Sony which was on a special discount. kdl-55w800c which was 1.24L, now 1.19L. Its the 3D LED model with active glasses. The Manager offered a flat discount on 2 glasses and so the final price was 1.16L. After some cajoling, the Manager offered to provide another 5-6K discount on the day of purchase by verifying my past track records with them. So can get this particular model for 1.1L.

I am confused!!! LG or Sony? Should i be future proof by purchasing the 4k model from LG? Or settle for the revolutionary android tv from Sony?
Me too in the market for a 50" TV, I have shortlisted the W800C series and yes its a Active 3D. I have always had Sony TVs since the last 10 odd years and have never been disappointed with the TV or its picture quality. Look at the review of the W800C in the rtings website.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w800c

Also look out at loads of customer reviews in Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk websites.

I always make sure the contrast ratio is on the higher side, else watching dark movies in dark rooms becomes a nightmare. As far as being future proof is concerned, the 4K TVs are still a long way in getting perfection. Most of the budget 4K TVs I have read reviews online, they have poor contrast ratio and poor black uniformity (Google flash lighting). Also there is not many 4K content available as yet.

As for colour reproduction comparision, Ask the Croma guys to put up any sports channel with lush green outfields, look at which TV pleases your eyes and go with it, I have always found Sony to be good
Old 15th February 2016, 23:35   #8009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
Me too in the market for a 50" TV, I have shortlisted the W800C series and yes its a Active 3D. I have always had Sony TVs since the last 10 odd years and have never been disappointed with the TV or its picture quality. Look at the review of the W800C in the rtings website.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w800c
I did check the reviews, especially the negatives. Android TV are so new and one thing every person says is the frequent reboots which is due to Android. So a bit skeptical. Also the limited onboard storage which will result in not making use of Apps or games. Still confused!!
Old 16th February 2016, 17:19   #8010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I did check the reviews, especially the negatives. Android TV are so new and one thing every person says is the frequent reboots which is due to Android. So a bit skeptical. Also the limited onboard storage which will result in not making use of Apps or games. Still confused!!
Well, To me picture quality and the darkest black are of prime importance in buying a TV. I did read about the reboots, But I can live with it. To each his own

Most Viewed