Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2016, 23:41   #8191
vdi
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Me and my friend picked up a Videocon 40 incher about 2 years back from Croma under-exchange. Not sure what support will you get from windows in a long run.

Whichever TV you pick up, don't forget to get the additional warranty.

Thanks for the reply. Have put off the purchase for the time being. No updates/reviews seen in the net too on the usability of windows TV.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:12   #8192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Sanyo has been reintroduced in India by their new owners Panasonic (apparently). There are two models available in Amazon, and the reviews are great for both.

Will this be a good option, given I am not keen on the "smart tv" stuff?
I picked up the 43 inch one just because of the price.

I wasn't very keen on a TV and therefore wasn't ready to pay huge amount for better brands. Micromax was the other TV in the price bracket and I haven't heard good reviews of it .
Sanyo atleast was a big player at one point and Panasonic is the support for them.
I got the TV last week and been streaming through Chromecast online and offline videos , so WiFi was taken care of.
The only grouse was the sound which I resolved by connecting a Creative 5.1 that I had.

From a layman point of view, I am happy getting the picture quality for this price. From two friends who have expensive brands, were quite impressed as well.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:20   #8193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I picked up the 43 inch one just because of the price.

I wasn't very keen on a TV and therefore wasn't ready to pay huge amount for better brands. Micromax was the other TV in the price bracket and I haven't heard good reviews of it .
Sanyo atleast was a big player at one point and Panasonic is the support for them.
The thing about TV is that you won't notice the difference until and unless you see them side by side. So if you primarily look at your TV and nothing else, you wont even notice it.
Example - I have a 40" Sony, which is fairly old - 2010 model, but my friends who picked up a Micromax, keep telling me the difference when they come home, while, I for honesty, watch so less of 'traditional' TV that I can hardly figure out the difference.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:33   #8194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The thing about TV is that you won't notice the difference until and unless you see them side by side. So if you primarily look at your TV and nothing else, you wont even notice it.
Example - I have a 40" Sony, which is fairly old - 2010 model, but my friends who picked up a Micromax, keep telling me the difference when they come home, while, I for honesty, watch so less of 'traditional' TV that I can hardly figure out the difference.
That's true.

Which is why I rely on friends who know a thing or two about this. One of them have gone through few TV's and now on a 3D and the other has a Samsung who was the one who recommended this.
From what I noticed, it is pretty good especially considering the price i.e the Sanyo.
Old 26th September 2016, 16:39   #8195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That's true.

Which is why I rely on friends who know a thing or two about this. One of them have gone through few TV's and now on a 3D and the other has a Samsung who was the one who recommended this.
From what I noticed, it is pretty good especially considering the price i.e the Sanyo.
How is the sound quality on the Sanyo TV. Also, what is the thickness of the TV? If I hang it on the wall, how many inches will the TV be protruding outside?
Old 26th September 2016, 17:06   #8196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
How is the sound quality on the Sanyo TV. Also, what is the thickness of the TV? If I hang it on the wall, how many inches will the TV be protruding outside?
Along with this could you kindly post some pics so we can get an idea how it looks in real life.
Old 27th September 2016, 07:47   #8197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Sound quality is average. I have connected it to a 5.1 speaker system as mentioned earlier. I am not aware of the vital stats of the TV. The pictures below may help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Along with this could you kindly post some pics so we can get an idea how it looks in real life.
Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20160927_065151.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20160927_065213.jpg  

Old 1st October 2016, 22:15   #8198
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a 40" LED, full HD and preferably 'smart' TV.

My preferred brands Sony, Panansomic, LG and Samsung. Mainly confused between Panasonic and Sony. Panasonic for value for money and Sony for brand value.

Please advise.

Edit - How is this model?

https://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-1...UUBJVYSDEPVITR

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st October 2016 at 22:29.
Old 1st October 2016, 22:21   #8199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My preferred brands Sony, Panansomic, Lag and Samsung.
From recent personal experience Sony has a better service capability for the consumer, cheaper repairs. I have two Sony LCDs and one LED LG. My 46" Sony needed repairs for a red screen and the LG had no video. LG refused to diagnose the board and flatly asked me to replace the board. Cost me 8k. Sony replaced a chip and cost me 2200. I will probably never buy any tv brand other than a Sony.
Old 1st October 2016, 22:33   #8200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
From recent personal experience Sony has a better service capability for the consumer, cheaper repairs. I have two Sony LCDs and one LED LG. My 46" Sony needed repairs for a red screen and the LG had no video. LG refused to diagnose the board and flatly asked me to replace the board. Cost me 8k. Sony replaced a chip and cost me 2200. I will probably never buy any tv brand other than a Sony.
My current LCD is Sony Bravia. Bought in 2006. It's been 10 years and it has not given a single problem. No repair need arised.

Want to upgrade due to screen size.

My brother has a Panasonic, and they seems to be offering quite value for money appliances!

So it is Sony Vs Panasonic.
Old 2nd October 2016, 00:25   #8201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So it is Sony Vs Panasonic.
Honestly, in terms of picture quality, component quality and calibration/features.. there is no contest, Sony kicks the Panasonic to the kerb like a champ. Sony is simply too big to be dethroned by any brand, Samsung, LG or Panasonic.. they all tried and failed - quality wise.

However, like you said.. the other brands play the value card very well and Panasonic certainly takes 3rd place in terms of overall value+quality combo after Sony & Sharp. Certainly better than Samsung.

You've used the LCD Bravia for a decade, chances are you're using the LED for another decade too - this certainly calls for paying the small premium and buying the Sony. Sharp is the uncontested 2nd best in the arena, just that they never advertise.

Last edited by dark.knight : 2nd October 2016 at 00:26.
Old 2nd October 2016, 08:56   #8202
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. One more query, what I will lose out if I go for simply the full HDTV minus the 'smart' TV tag?
Old 2nd October 2016, 09:06   #8203
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. One more query, what I will lose out if I go for simply the full HDTV minus the 'smart' TV tag?
Nothing IMO. One can always add a cheap Android Box later on if one really finds the need to make their TV smart. I, for one, have never used any of the smart features on my TV, apart from doing very light browsing once in a blue moon.
Old 2nd October 2016, 09:13   #8204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what I will lose out if I go for simply the full HDTV minus the 'smart' TV tag?
Depends on the brand but in most cases you just lose the ability to surf the web or watch YouTube videos directly via television, all you'd need for that is a wireless Internet router. You will also lose the feature of screen mirroring/miracast which is wirelessly mirroring the phone screen on the tv and streaming videos and photos onto the big screen. You don't need any Internet connection for this as both the inbuilt WiFi routers connect directly to each other. I use this feature almost daily.

If you've absolutely no need of such features then a full HD model is sufficient since its cheaper but in the long run smart TVs are better even if you only use those features once a while.

Last edited by dark.knight : 2nd October 2016 at 09:15.
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:33   #8205
Senior - BHPian

One final query - any difference between android tv and smart tv? Or both are same.

Most Viewed