Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 15:15   #8416
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

How good are these Kodak TVs? The seemed to be priced quite low. And I read somewhere that they use Samsung Panels and run on Android.

Anybody has first hand experience?
Old 10th August 2017, 18:59   #8417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Yes, a TV with Wi-Fi connectivity/Wi-Fi Direct facility. Most internet TVs have few apps pre-installed like Youtube, netflix etc.
Noob question.. In the link you have provided they have mentioned it as a SmartTV itself. So is the Smart TV a generic term used by sellers and if so how can we know that we are getting an Internet TV and not a full android loaded Smart TV?
Old 10th August 2017, 20:41   #8418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Noob question.. In the link you have provided they have mentioned it as a SmartTV itself. So is the Smart TV a generic term used by sellers and if so how can we know that we are getting an Internet TV and not a full android loaded Smart TV?
Basically a smart tv is something which has internet connectivity and related features. Smart TV with android os offers more apps while the same thing can be achieved with a non-android Smart TV with devices like chromecast or firestick.
Old 13th August 2017, 14:52   #8419
BHPian

Bad experience with Samsung Plasma:
Hi, I purchased a 50" Plasma TV from Samsung with extended Warranty lasting till 2017. The model is PS51F5500ARLXL!
Towards the 1st year anniversary the panel failed and was promptly replaced under Warranty. 2nd year the smart remote failed, I did purchase a substitute regular remote from Amazon! Now in it is 4th year, the TV has all of the sudden lost the brightness. The Technician has set the pixels at its brightest etc, so that I am able to watch movies etc from BD. Looks like the panel has gone and they can not replace now (they don't make them now). Instead Samsung proposing they pay 35K (50% of price) and they take the TV away

If I have to purchase another TV, I might go for 4K just to future proof. This will workout 1Lakh+ and I have no plan to shell out such money now!

Question is should I rather keep the TV (which might run for sometime I guess) or dispose it off to Samsung for 35K and look for a Sony!(Not going back to Samsung...)
Old 13th August 2017, 15:24   #8420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Bad experience with Samsung Plasma:
Hi, I purchased a 50" Plasma TV from Samsung with extended Warranty lasting till 2017.....
Question is should I rather keep the TV (which might run for sometime I guess) or dispose it off to Samsung for 35K and look for a Sony!(Not going back to Samsung...)
Since this is the last year of the warranty and you have been facing so many problems since the purchase I would advice you to take the money dispose it off to Samsung. You may never know what other problems might crop up once it is out of warranty. Add some more and get a new TV, use it for a few months/years and invest in a 4K when you are ready.
Old 13th August 2017, 20:00   #8421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dispose this thing and get 35k from the company. Add another 30-35k and get a decent Sony smart TV and enjoy it for few years before migrating to a 4k TV. By that time our tv broadcast media will be available in 4k as well.
Old 13th August 2017, 20:21   #8422
BHPian

Is it worth to go for a 4K TV now. Sony has an offer for a 49 inch 4K TV at 89K. And same TV without 4K at 79K. Is 4K worth additional 10K considering no channels have 4K yet. Also I primarily use to connect to my Apple TV 4th gen for Netflix and hotstar . Seldom for normal dish
Old 13th August 2017, 21:20   #8423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Is it worth to go for a 4K TV now. Sony has an offer for a 49 inch 4K TV at 89K. And same TV without 4K at 79K. Is 4K worth additional 10K considering no channels have 4K yet. Also I primarily use to connect to my Apple TV 4th gen for Netflix and hotstar . Seldom for normal dish

Go for a Full HD Tv at the moment. There is hardly any 4K content. Make sure that the the Blacks are Jet black and White is pure white. You can't go wrong with a Tv if this is the selection criteria. Black shouldn't be dark dark grey or grey.
Old 13th August 2017, 22:25   #8424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I was in a similar dilemma. Was looking for 55 inch one. Had a budget of around 80k and initially was planning to go for the lesser known cheaper brands like VU, Micromax etc. Even toyed with the idea of a BPL or a TCL or a non smart option from Panasonic.

Although I was ok with Full HD, in my heart wanted a 4K TV, but I thought none of big guns (LG, Sony, Samsung) had anything close to the price change.

Finally came across this LG 55 inch 4K Smart TV in Croma (Bangalore- Marathahalli Outer Ring Road), was able to negotiate this to 91K (with an additional 2500 cash back through HDFC credit card). It is not as sleek or good looking as a Sony or Samsung, but I liked the display and seemed reasonably future proof with 4K, HDR, Smart with the Magic Remote , dedicated Amazon and Netflix buttons (2 things I would watch a lot). Could not find anything anywhere close to this price from any other dealer I visited. So went ahead with this.

Also came with an adjustable swivel stand which was useful for my install location. Installation was prompt and the LG Technician knew exactly what he was doing.

Thanks to all Bhpians who provided inputs. Helped clear several points of doubt.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th August 2017 at 22:27.
Old 14th August 2017, 00:15   #8425
BANNED

I am looking for best FHD 50inch panel under 40k, Is there anything good in this budget? The reason I am asking is, as the price went down so is picture quality, sound can be channeled through sound bar but PQ. An above average panel will do for me.

I had a Philips 42PFL7977 had a decent picture quality but sound and software were bad. Recently it went bad and yesterday I got another 43inch FHD led tv as a replacement from Philips 43PFL4552/V7 but the picture quality is very very bad both Amazon fire stick and SD channels looked awful.Reminds me of today's 25k laptop screens.
Old 14th August 2017, 03:04   #8426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thank you. Good point on the Android slowness issue. Also, What do you mean when you say Internet TV? TV with just wifi enabled?
Not just that - my friend's Philips smart TV (if I recall right) updates itself. Unless you can turn that off - you will find yourself with a practically useless "SmartTV" a few years, going by the standard android experience.

Pls recall mfrs never have your best interest in mind - Airtel upgraded my DTH STB to revert to their ad channel in the event of a power failure. I have never forgiven them for this. I don't trust any TV mfr to be any better.

I saw my friend's 55" Vu smart TV - the screen is amazing btw. Please do consider that brand as well.In his case, he ends up using pretty much his FireStick only because of its user friendliness.
Old 17th August 2017, 22:37   #8427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Dispose this thing and get 35k from the company. Add another 30-35k and get a decent Sony smart TV and enjoy it for few years before migrating to a 4k TV. By that time our tv broadcast media will be available in 4k as well.
Thank you @ bluevolt & Jayantvs, this is exactly I did today. We got 35K and TV panel is collected by Samsung. I wonder what they do with this!

Now off to find a good TV, need atleast 50" as I regularly watch movies in Blue ray version & Kids watch TV -Cartoons, Discovery etc! I probably would go for Sony, Panasonic or Philips.

Last edited by Gany : 17th August 2017 at 22:50.
Old 17th August 2017, 23:58   #8428
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @ bluevolt & Jayantvs, this is exactly I did today. We got 35K and TV panel is collected by Samsung. I wonder what they do with this!

Now off to find a good TV, need atleast 50" as I regularly watch movies in Blue ray version & Kids watch TV -Cartoons, Discovery etc! I probably would go for Sony, Panasonic or Philips.
You made the right decision. Samsung would most probably recycle it but never heard any company offering a buyback on their electronics product, most likely to keep their brand image. Its good that you had the warranty which might have helped.

Good luck with your TV search!! Hope the next one is trouble free. Sony would be good choice in my opinion and go for extended warranty if offered, it helps a lot.
Old 26th August 2017, 20:15   #8429
BHPian

I visited Sony and they looked at 49" 4K & FHD TVs. I asked them to play standard TV channels and I find that the picture on 4K was better in terms of blacks & skin tones. Now this could be purely by the picture setting the showroom guys might have done to push 4K sales. Also the viewing distance was lower for 4K.

I am still undecided and pushed the purchase decision to October to see if any better offer comes along. In the meantime I also saw couple of BD/DVD players that have 4K upsclaling! That seems like a good combination as all my DVD/BD collections can be enjoyed at 4K! Ha Ha...
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:59   #8430
BHPian

My Toshiba 47 inch TV has decided to become a radio. No picture only sound. Its around 2 years old and i had purchased extended warranty giving a 3 year repair period.
Its been 2 days since i logged a complaint but no call back till now. The problem is Toshiba shut their TV business in India an year back and their support is now being handled by Jeeves. I don't have a very good feeling about this repair going smoothly.

Is there any escalation email/contact number of the Toshiba higher-ups that BHPians can share? I think i will have to escalate it to get my problem solved
Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks