Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 09:51   #8476
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Even after taking into consideration TV cost plus duty and transport fees it's still way cheaper. Any tips or recommendations on how best to import a TV?
Please make sure that the warranty is a global one and would be honored in India. I remember seeing lot of articles which mentioned that because of TV imports, brands like Sony etc. will not honor international warranties in India. better to check on it once
Old 9th October 2017, 10:27   #8477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Please make sure that the warranty is a global one and would be honored in India. I remember seeing lot of articles which mentioned that because of TV imports, brands like Sony etc. will not honor international warranties in India. better to check on it once
I guess there is no warranty on imports, irrespective of brand. It's one of the reasons I was trying to dissuade them but looking at the mouth watering price plus they had purchased a lg lcd tv from Singapore that lasted them 10 years, they are confident enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
my brother is getting me a 49" sony 4k next weekend from KL. The size is due to his airline restriction of tvs not to exceed 50". The duty they usually calculate on the invoice price and one can haggle a bit on arrival. My colleagues cousin got him a 55" from Dubai for a duty of 18k. The customs officer reduced the invoice value to 70k instead of the real 90k. Will update once I get my TV in hand.
It is better to get it through someone you know is coming or for OLED it might be cheap even if you fly in and get it yourself.
I too feel it's better to get the from Qatar ( have a relative there) direct to Goa than getting it through Mumbai customs and then
to Goa.
However this depends on the deal available in Bangkok etc.

Thanks both of you'll for the quick response
Old 9th October 2017, 10:33   #8478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Need help with a small query. I have a LG LED TV, a TATA SKY HD box and a Sony Home Theater System. Currently there is a HDMI cable which goes from TATA SKY to the TV. Is it possible to connect the home theater system so that I can get audio from the Sony system rather than the TV?
What model is your Sony Home Theater? Does it include a Player?
You will need 2 HDMI cables. Identify the HDMI ports on TV and Sony HT having ARC (it will be mentioned on the port like HDMI ARC). It means Audio Return Channel and support sending audio back even if the Video source is different.

Option 1:
Sony HT should have 1 HDMI Out(ARC) and at least 1 HDMI In (mine has 2 In).
Plug your HDMI from LG TV (HDMI Port with ARC) to Sony OUT(ARC).
Connect Tata Box HDMI Out to Sony HDMI IN.

Simple:
LG TV <--HDMI ARC--> SONY HT
TATA SKY >--HDMI--> SONY HT

Option 2:
Use the HDMI In of TV (the one with ARC) to connect to Home Theater (HDMI Port with ARC).
The HDMI from Tata Sky can now me plugged in any of the other HDMI IN Ports on the LG TV.

Simple:
LG TV <--HDMI ARC--> SONY HT
TATA SKY >--HDMI--> LG TV

In Future any additional devices (e.g. PS/Android TV/Amazon Fire TV) can be plugged in any free HDMI Port on LG TV or even on Sony HT if it has additional HDMI IN Ports. ARC will even allow Analog Video/Audio source on TV to send sound to your Home Theater (like old cable box or game with RCA type inputs).
The TV source will need to be selected on SONY HT or LG TV depending on where you have plugged in the sources.

Last edited by vidyanand : 9th October 2017 at 10:35. Reason: Adding Info
Old 9th October 2017, 17:21   #8479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I guess there is no warranty on imports, irrespective of brand.
To my knowledge there used to be. I think it was called the Global Warranty by these manufacturers but because of the rising number of imports, they then took a decision to not honor such warranties. I could be wrong though
Old 10th October 2017, 10:13   #8480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
What model is your Sony Home Theater? Does it include a Player?

The TV source will need to be selected on SONY HT or LG TV depending on where you have plugged in the sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
So if you get an optical/digital audio cable and connect you will get the audio to the home theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
You should have an audio out on the TV. Connect that to the home theatre.
Thanks for all your suggestions! I will go home and try to implement your advice.

I bought a VU TV, model Model : 40D6535 (Screen size: 40 inches). I got it from Kohinoor for Rs 22.5k. Surprisingly I did not find this model online. The TV has been delivered to my place and the installation team is set to come today/tomorrow. I also got a flexible TV mount and additional warranty from a company called Zooper.

The above VU model is a non-smart TV. I have Amazon Fire TV and also a Chromecast so hopefully I will not miss a smart TV. I was a bit hesitatant buying VU brand but many people have suggested it. I know the picture quality might not be comparable to Sony/Samsung/LG but this TV is for my room and will not be used much.

Last edited by Saanil : 10th October 2017 at 10:19.
Old 10th October 2017, 10:28   #8481
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need help with a small query. I have a LG LED TV, a TATA SKY HD box and a Sony Home Theater System. Currently there is a HDMI cable which goes from TATA SKY to the TV. Is it possible to connect the home theater system so that I can get audio from the Sony system rather than the TV?
I have Samsung LED TV with 4 HDMI ports, TataSky STB & PS4. Also have Philips Fidelio Soundbar.

My soundbar is connected to the LED TV via the Digital Audio IN (Optical) port on sound bar to Digital Audio Out (Optical) port of the TV.

Two TV HDMI ports are permanently connected to the Tata sky and PS4. Additionally also sometimes connect my laptops via HDMI to the spare port. Mine is an older TV so do not HDMI ARC port.

My TV Volume is kept to "0" while all sound is outputted via the soundbar.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th October 2017, 11:11   #8482
BHPian

Quote:
I know the picture quality might not be comparable to Sony/Samsung/LG but this TV is for my room and will not be used much.
I think slightly poor picture quality is better than no picture at all. I have experienced the latter (spots all over the screen) on my LG (problem started a little after the warranty got over) and my friend is having only partial display in his Sony. So in the cost that you get any of those, you can probably buy more than VU and still have some change left for accessories like sound bar. As long as it meets your needs, it should be fine.

I too was in a dilemma between VU and Panasonic but unfortunately could not muster the courage to go with VU but from what I have heard its going pretty strong. Since I made a mistake of not going with it, I made sure my Bro-in-law brought a VU which worked out way cheaper and still works pretty well
Old 10th October 2017, 11:41   #8483
BHPian

Picked up the Sony 32" 672E Bravia to replace the ageing Flatron in the dining room.

Flipkart is offering for Rs. 34900 with 5% HDFC cashback but picked up from the Sony store at the same price due to the convenience and instant delivery.

First impression, good understated design the way I like it & among the few good 32" full HD model available currently. Audio is also good with some bass, but then I use it for watching news during dinner rather than listening to music.
Anyone looking for a 32" full HD cant go wrong with this model.
Old 27th October 2017, 13:13   #8484
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of HDMI ports aren't working on our Panasonic Plasma TV. Any suggestions on Panasonic authorised service centers or independent service centers in Bangalore ?

Also, any idea how much it may cost to get it fixed ?
Old 27th October 2017, 13:38   #8485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Couple of HDMI ports aren't working on our Panasonic... Also, any idea how much it may cost to get it fixed ?
I got the hdmi ports fixed on a couple of Sony tvs, it worked out to between 1200-2000 depending on the number of ics that needed changing. This was done by a Sony mechanic who came home and fixed it. Sharing this info from a cost perspective.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:41   #8486
BHPian

I had bought sony 55" X8200 E in Jul 2017, that time OLED prices were very high (>2.5 lakhs). Last week during enquiry I was surpriced that LG OLED 55",one showroom quoted at 1.9 lakh, while another salesman told that they had sold LG OLED 55 at 1.65 lakhs during diwali sales.This I thought a no brainer deal for 55" tvs. They are far superior to any LED/LCD tvs by Sony/Samsung/LG.
So OLED TV prices have really come down, so if you are in market for 55" tv, do not forget to inquire OLED.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:34   #8487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
I had bought sony 55" X8200 E in Jul 2017, that time OLED prices were very high (>2.5 lakhs). Last week during enquiry I was surpriced that LG OLED 55",one showroom quoted at 1.9 lakh, while another salesman told that they had sold LG OLED 55 at 1.65 lakhs during diwali sales.This I thought a no brainer deal for 55" tvs. They are far superior to any LED/LCD tvs by Sony/Samsung/LG.
So OLED TV prices have really come down, so if you are in market for 55" tv, do not forget to inquire OLED.
1.8L on Amazon.in sold by LG brand store. Devi International should sell you cheaper than that. Personally, I'd wait until it falls below a lac.
Old 13th November 2017, 13:31   #8488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Anyone looking for a 32" full HD cant go wrong with this model.
To share my experience, I bought a 32 inch Sony LCD TV in 2009 (BX32) for 34K. Though the TV still works, and we would replace it soon with a bigger TV anyway, but given the peculiar problem that I faced, I think I will not go for Sony again.

When the TV was near the 5 year mark, its polarising filter, which is stuck on the LCD, started developing wrinkles at a corner. The wrinkles then turned into bubbles and started expanding at a fast rate. Within a week, the entire LCD had gotten bubbles and wrinkles. Currently the entire screen is wrinkled heavily with one area showing white patch, due to deformation in the polarising filter. Since, we are not TV addicts, the set is still on duty. Checked the internet and saw same problem flooding for Sony TVs. Given such bad quality control or batch, whatever it is, I would definitely not go for Sony again. Probably will pick a Panasonic this time.

Regards,
Saket
Old 13th November 2017, 13:56   #8489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
To share my experience, I bought a 32 inch Sony LCD TV in 2009 (BX32) for 34K. Though the TV still works, and we would replace it soon with a bigger TV anyway, but given the peculiar problem that I faced, I think I will not go for Sony again.

When the TV was near the 5 year mark, its polarising filter, which is stuck on the LCD, started developing wrinkles at a corner. The wrinkles then turned into bubbles and started expanding at a fast rate. Within a week, the entire LCD had gotten bubbles and wrinkles. Currently the entire screen is wrinkled heavily with one area showing white patch, due to deformation in the polarising filter. Since, we are not TV addicts, the set is still on duty. Checked the internet and saw same problem flooding for Sony TVs. Given such bad quality control or batch, whatever it is, I would definitely not go for Sony again. Probably will pick a Panasonic this time.
We have two Bravias of similar vintage(October 2008),a W46 model bought for 94k and a BX32 for 30k. The 46 inch is for our own use, whereas the 32 incher is installed in our guest room. The 32 inch model has this wrinkle issue from day 1, but it's hidden behind the huge Bravia sticker in the corner, and has thankfully not grown.

The W46 has remained nigglefree till date, touchwood.

But yes, the current gen Sony's aren't the same what they used to be earlier.
Old 18th November 2017, 20:09   #8490
BHPian

I am looking for TV for my living room. Will be mostly used for Netflix, Amazon, Hotstar and Youtube. Plus PS3. Don't have cable connection and will not get one.

I am confused whether to go in for OLED TV ( about 2 lac) or pick up some cheaper one like VU for like 50K and upgrade after 2-3 years when OLED TV prices come down.

Any suggestions?

Have seen few options on Flipkart and Amazon for VU, Panasonic and Samsung Full HD LED TVs. I don't want to buy smart TV since i will pick up chromecast.

Have been reading good reviews about VU TVs of late. Do they sell these in brick-and-morter stores also?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 18th November 2017 at 20:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks