Am waiting for the 65"
Old 7th March 2018, 18:56   #8582
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am waiting for the 65"
Any clue when its going to launch ?

I was also hoping they launch the Mi Robot Vacuum Cleaner sometime this year, but they haven't been clear when it may be launch.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 7th March 2018 at 19:02.
Old 7th March 2018, 20:45   #8583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am waiting for the 65"
Cool! Guess it'll be even more jaw dropping than than the 55" one.

I placed an order for a 43" VU TV couple of days back and the news of the 43" Mi TV going on sale, almost made me cancel the order of the former. But then again, the newer models ain't that earth shattering as the 55" one. So stuck with the VU. Moreover, getting hands on a Xiaomi product that's on flash sale is yet another mighty rat race, for which I'm not good enough yet
Old 8th March 2018, 14:03   #8584
BHPian

My (personal opinion & ) review of the MiTV 55" 4K:

Positives:
1) Sleek and super slim design
2) Above average sound quality - decent in all frequency range;
3) Unique remote (although its a rip off of the Amazon FireTV Stick Remote with 2 buttons swapped)
4) Seamless transition between Set top box and internet media

The OK-OK-Stuff
1) UI Seems to be half baked; sometimes smooth, sometimes laggy - needs work
2) Sound - although its good, it lacks fullness - too bass heavy for clarity; could probably be adjusted with an EQ app???

The Bad Stuff
1) Lousy Panel - pathetic viewing angles; turns greyish with the smallest shift in viewing angle
2) Poor Dynamic Range and terrible contrast - highlights are blown out and shadows are a hazy grey
3) Black levels are a blasphemy to the term itself.. horrible ghosting in shadows and blacks are displayed as " varying shades of grey"
4) Edge lit LED causes uneven backlighting on the panel - visible light bleeding (seriously wondering if they were displaying a broken unit!!)
5) Poor brightness - turn it up and highlights are blown out; turn it down and everything on screen becomes a muddy grey
6) Is it even a 4K panel!??!?! Video looked like an upscaled 1080p one (even though it had the resolution right and bitrate right)
7) Oversharpened images makes everything look blotchy up close. Tried playing with the settings but no use.

Overall - as soon as I looked at the panel I was not blown away (the expected reaction when one sees similar panels from the big boys like SONY, LG and Sammy) ...

Verdict: The TV looks better when its switched off than when its switched ON.
My Rating: 4/10❌ ; Put your money elsewhere!

Last edited by vsathyap : 8th March 2018 at 14:16.
Old 8th March 2018, 15:11   #8585
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Can you check if its really a VA panel try taking a picture up close of the pixel structure. Since it its a VA panel then Black level should be good.
Old 8th March 2018, 15:51   #8586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Thanks for the honest review. Most of the reviews on YouTube etc speak highly of the TV, not sure if they get paid for it. I was seriously considering to replace my Sony LCD with this one.
Old 8th March 2018, 16:29   #8587
BHPian

This particular reviewer is also not impressed by the black levels. But hey considering the price point, it sells for nearly half the price of the leading brands. So can't complain much.

Quote:

One humble request. Kindly post this review on Flipkart so that the potential buyers could make an informed decision.

Last edited by navin : 9th March 2018 at 11:38.
Old 8th March 2018, 16:35   #8588
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the review, I was hyped with the panel and price but I had my doubts about quality, your reviews nails it. I will stay away from Xiaomi TV.
Old 8th March 2018, 16:42   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Can the good guys here suggest a 49 inch or roundabout 4K TV max around 1-1.5 lakh. Brand preference seems to be LG, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony in that order. My present TV (Pioneer Kuro 42 Plasma) has been great but with 4K movies now available, it is time to move on. I love the blacks of Pioneer but 720p does not cut it anymore. Have held off for many years and am wary of OLEDs and their 2+ price. I am wary of Sony too since I do not know if they implemented Cinavia feature in their TVs too. Have been burnt on this account in bluray player too.
Old 8th March 2018, 19:36   #8590
BANNED

Well if you want something close to black level of your pioneer plasma, you will have to go with Sony 49X9000E its a local dimming tv, with one of the best image processing, praised by pretty much ever review and customers.

If anyone considering a Sony 4k tvs, only models from X9000 and above have VA panels. The lower end models all have LG made IPS panels, some models like the X7000 even have a BOE ADS panel, which is even worse then even IPS panel in black levels.

Last edited by aim120 : 8th March 2018 at 19:45. Reason: typo changed x8000 to x7000
Old 9th March 2018, 10:18   #8591
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot. I have read positive stuff about Sony.
However, I will have to check on Cinavia (google that).
Old 9th March 2018, 10:37   #8592
BHPian

I have a Sony 49 X70E, brought from Malaysia. Post duty, it worked out to 49k INR. I am not an aficionado but don't see any issues with colors or blacks etc.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:59   #8593
Senior - BHPian

The question is not blacks per se but whether black looks greyish or true deep black. If I know something, black is just easier to see and note. What it should mean that colour balance is better and colours do not appear lighter or darker than they were in the source.
All LED/LCD TVs do have this problem with blacks though I do not know much since I have not been in the market for many years.
OLEDs are supposed to be the best at colours but the tech is relatively new and it is difficult to find out the lifespan of such panels, simply because most are 3-5 years. But colours fade over time, just a question of after how many years.

Last edited by vasudeva : 9th March 2018 at 11:01.
Old 13th March 2018, 14:11   #8594
BHPian

Quote:
My (personal opinion & )...My Rating: 4/10❌ ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
This particular reviewer is also not impressed by the black levels.
Thanks for posting this. I have held the purchase off until I can check it out in person. Seems like a downgrade even when compared to the 10 year old LH90 similar to the LeEco one. That said, I find the black turns lighter if the local dimming is turned off on LH90. Now then, are there any TVs with locale dimming available at present?
VU launched some new ones as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
..Can you suggest a better qualify converter, or something to have Center + Left + right running instead of stereo?
Got a Yamaha receiver + speakers instead. Makes using multiple HDMI inputs easier as well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th March 2018 at 14:53. Reason: As requested
Old 13th March 2018, 19:13   #8595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have held the purchase off until I can check it out in person. Seems like a downgrade even when compared to the 10 year old LH90 similar to the LeEco one. That said, I find the black turns lighter if the local dimming is turned off on LH90. Now then, are there any TVs with locale dimming available at present?
ll.
LH90 I believe was a local dimming lg tv, currently Sony local dimming models start from x9000E and above, but expensive.

Unless your tv is kaput, better to wait for OLED to drop in prices.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th March 2018 at 14:53. Reason: Edited quoted post

Most Viewed