Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2018, 00:12   #8731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,
In a bit of a quandary.
My Samsung Plasma TV (43 inch) screen is on the way out. Replacement will cost approx Rs. 23,500.00 with a 1 year warranty on the screen alone. The TV is 7 years old and has given me good service to date.
My question is : Should I replace the screen or buy a new TV.

Regards,
SS
What is actual problem? Is panel gone kaput or mainboard? Is the technician trusted? Please take second opinion. I got my 50" plasma board repaired at 3rd opinion. ASS of Samsung quoted 35-40k with panel change. The 3rd technician told that board on 3d tv costs around 20k which was not ok for me. He replaced the damaged ICs he said. Charged me 10k few months back. Working good but now a verticle line is appearing on right side which is not visible clearly according to the scene being played.
If you are on western line of Mumbai please PM me. I shall give you technicians number if you want.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 26th September 2018 at 00:13.
Old 26th September 2018, 01:04   #8732
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
What component has been damaged. Sometimes it is better to get a second opinion from an experienced third party repairman.
I love the picture quality of my 51inch Samsung Plasma and would actually get it repaired if the genuineness of the repair can be ascertained.
My 40 inch VU is ok for watching normal TV, but I watch all movies and sports on my Plasma as the picture quality is definitely lot different.
Hi rdst_1 and Hydrofuel,

Thanks for your inputs.

rdst_1, I also love the picture quality of my Plasma TV hence my thoughts of repairing it.
The screen needs replacement as it is showing a dis-coloured vertical band or "Belt" in Samsung language on the left hand side of the screen. This runs from the top to the bottom and is gradually increasing in size. There is also a smudge just next to the "belt" which can be seen against a white background. Three different Samsung technicians have said the same thing - screen replacement required. It is very difficult if not impossible to find a "Third Party" repair person for TV sets in Goa. I did check with my "Third Party" guy in Bombay and he said the same - Replace the Screen.

Hydrofuel,
Looks like you are in the same boat as me. If you are getting a discoloured vertical line, then sorry to say, most probably your screen is also on the way out.

Regards,
SS
Old 26th September 2018, 09:29   #8733
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki san, it is better to replace the screen, the TV may serve you long enough. The picture quality of Plasma is still the best for SD or HD video content.

Last edited by deehunk : 26th September 2018 at 09:34.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:10   #8734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
I bought one a couple of weeks back and have been using it for last 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Your review helped and i recently bought the Iffalcom 55inch. So far it has been a pretty nice experience and the pure android experience has been very nice. Overall i am very satisfied with the TV for the price. The only question is the longevity? What has been your experience till now?

Also is it a good idea to take the extended warranty from Jeeves. How is the service?
Old 26th September 2018, 15:53   #8735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
The only question is the longevity? What has been your experience till now?

Also is it a good idea to take the extended warranty from Jeeves. How is the service?
Another friend of mine after seeing my tv bought he same one and he had a little different experience. His TV had a vertical line form in 20 days. Since his extended warranty order for the TV was not closed on Flipkart he successfully got them to refund his cost and return.

He still went ahead and bought the same TV again the following weekend as he could not find a better deal. So my advice would be to get the extended warranty
Old 1st October 2018, 10:27   #8736
BHPian

Guys - I am in the quandary of buying a TV for our new home in my village. My parents are currently here in US with me and they are travelling in December to India. Since they are travelling after the US thanksgiving season, I am thinking of getting a 55 inch Smart TV for them preferably Sony or LG. My dad is a big fan of Sony CRT TVs but he was never able to afford one during his early days.

Is it worth to buy Sony TV now? What is the reliability of Sony as a brand in India nowadays? Will this be serviceable in India in case if there are any issues later? I am not hearing very good things about Sony nowadays.

I can easily buy him one of the shelf there in India. But he won't allow me to spend 1 lakh on a TV that too for the home in village. With the amount of gift cards I receive at work during November/December, I can buy a TV here without spending too much and easily ship it with them. My dad started watching videos in Youtube and he now started streaming the videos using Chromecast as well a lot here from his tablet.

Last year my in-laws bought a LG TV for them the same way as it saved us almost 50k when compared to the price in India. When I dropped them off in airport and checked in the TV along with luggage, the Emirates guy gave me a receipt and told that there is insurance for your TV and any damages during shipping will be covered by the insurance. Please find below the additional costs involved in shipping the TV apart from buying cost with respect to Emirates flight.

Maximum allowed TV size is 55 inch. Upto 43 inch TV size, shipping is free along with one checked in luggage. If you have two checked in luggage, you need to pay $175.

For 49 inch and 55 inch, you need to pay $175 with one checked in luggage and $375 with two checked in luggage.

In India, you need to pay a tax amount for the bill you produce for the TV in airport. My in laws gave a bill around $500 for the LG TV and they paid around Rs 12,000 tax.

So please advice me if I can buy a Sony TV? I am preferring Sony just for my dad. But if the reliability is in question for Sony, I can go with LG itself. I need your suggestions on this.
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:30   #8737
BHPian

Anyone faced any issues buying Sony TVs off online stores other than Amazon via cloudtail?
There are some superb deals online on flipkart (not omnitechretail), paytmmall, tatacliq, etc.

Will Sony deny warranty if bought from online seller other than Amazon-cloudtail?
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:35   #8738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Is it worth to buy Sony TV now? What is the reliability of Sony as a brand in India nowadays? Will this be serviceable in India in case if there are any issues later?
I own a 50" Sony smart TV in India, and it has been problem free for its 1.5 years of use. Service is good as well (although I never had to call them for any repair). There have been reports on this very thread that Sony service technicians in India are more willing to roll up their sleeves and do component-level repairs than advocate a wholesale board replacement when compared to other brands, which was a factor that influenced my purchase decision.

That said, I'm not sure how the manufacturer's warranty for a Sony TV bought in the US will translate across to India. Moreover, I'd also suspect that you will not be able to purchase any extended warranty for the same, and I'd say that an EW for such a high value electronic item is a bit of a must.

If your parents are going to anyway bring it back here and pay customs duties for it, then why not consider buying it in India itself? Take a look at Amazon India which has Sony TVs on it, to get a feel or pricing.
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:40   #8739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
So please advice me if I can buy a Sony TV? I am preferring Sony just for my dad. But if the reliability is in question for Sony, I can go with LG itself. I need your suggestions on this.
Buy a Sony, buy it in India. Sonys are generally better made than LG & Samsung but any TV can have problems. It's just not worth the headache and the cost to fix TVs are ridiculous.
Old 6th October 2018, 11:32   #8740
Senior - BHPian

So my 7 year old Panasonic plasma gave up yesterday, the technician suggested a board replacement which may cost upwards of 35k. Its 7 years old, and I'm leaning towards replacement rather than repair, though I love the picture quality.

I did a little bit of reading and for my conditions (bright room with over 85% SD content) and usage pattern, OLED is overkill or not suitable. So that leaves me with UHD/4k LED TVs.

I've had a bad experience with Sony where my TV went kaput in less than 3 years, and don't like the vibrant colors of Samsung. I'm left with LG & Panasonic for now.

Any recommendations from LG/Panasonic in 55" other than OLED ? Budget around 1 lakh.

I did some research and top recommendation seem to be Sony X9000F and 8500 series from LG, nothing from Panasonic though.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2018 at 21:13. Reason: sms language edited
Old 6th October 2018, 12:34   #8741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Any recommendations from LG/Panasonic in 55" other than OLED ? Budget around 1 lakh.

I did some research and top recommendation seem to be Sony X9000F and 8500 series from LG, nothing from Panasonic though.
I had bought last year's equivalent of this one a year back. Pretty happy. Ultra HD with active HDR, very good with SD content, nice magic remote with one touch access to Netflix and Prime.

Does not look as sleek as the Samsung's and Sony's. But felt worth the price.

LG 139 cm (55 inches) 55UK6360PTE 4K LED Smart TV (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07DWBVW2L/..._a1fUBbD28XQ4C

Last edited by Aditya : 8th October 2018 at 07:17. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 6th October 2018, 13:26   #8742
Senior - BHPian

We have the LG 55 UH 60 (I think) series, in Blor, and its pretty trouble free for almost two years now. Better than Pana I feel. It's mouse on remote feature is the best to access content.

Quote:
So my 7 year old Panasonic plasma gave up yesterday, the technician suggested a board replacement which may cost upwards of 35k. Its 7 years old, and I'm leaning towards replacement rather than repair, though I love the picture quality.

I did a little bit of reading and for my conditions (bright room with over 85% SD content) and usage pattern, OLED is overkill or not suitable. So that leaves me with UHD/4k LED TVs.

I've had a bad experience with Sony where my TV went kaput in less than 3 years, and don't like the vibrant colors of Samsung. I'm left with LG & Panasonic for now.

Any recommendations from LG/Panasonic in 55" other than OLED ? Budget arnd 1 lakh.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2018 at 21:15. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 6th October 2018, 20:06   #8743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had bought last year's equivalent of this one a year back. Pretty happy. Ultra HD with active HDR, very good with SD content, nice magic remote with one touch access to Netflix and Prime.
Does not look as sleek as the Samsung's and Sony's. But felt worth the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We have the LG 55 UH 60 (I think) series, in Blor, and its pretty trouble free for almost two years now. Better than Pana I feel. It's mouse on remote feature is the best to access content.
Thank you both for inputs on LG TVs. I saw a few reviews for the 8500 series and it seems to be a good pick in its category, only OLED and 9 series from Sony better it in terms of PQ. However, for My kind of usage (SD 60% and HD-40%) this is a moot point unless I start streaming services on these new age TVs.

Any idea what's the maximum period I can avail warranty by opting for extended warranty ? Panasonic, Sony are offering 4 years but wasn't able to find anything on LG.

Mod Note: Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2018 at 21:18.
Old 7th October 2018, 12:30   #8744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what's the maximum period I can avail warranty by opting for extended warranty ? Panasonic, Sony are offering 4 years but wasn't able to find anything on LG
Go to LG site and search for warranty, LG has a comprehensive chart for all appliances.

The only hitch is that the Extended warranty for TV is quite hefty.

https://www.lg.com/in/support/warranty#
Then - Happy Living Plan
Then - within 30 days of purchase AMC prices

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2018 at 21:19. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 7th October 2018, 17:05   #8745
Senior - BHPian

My wife gifted me a Sony 55" X85F series TV, this probably was the best choice when compared to other brands. The picture quality is comparable with much higher segments, final buying price was Rs.1,15,000 with an assured cash back of 6,000 on selected debit/credit card.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks