Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 08:22   #8761
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Today's Times Of India, Mumbai Edition had a full page advert.
Attached below.
Don't know what prompted someone to put this in the paper.

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-image1.jpeg
Old 10th October 2018, 08:45   #8762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Today's Times Of India, Mumbai Edition had a full page advert. Don't know what prompted someone to put this in the paper.

Attachment 1806494
Interesting ad, to say the least. Have the big guns actually banded together to collaborate on something?

Some of the points listed are weak, in my opinion.
  • No. 3 & 4 (picture & sound quality), for instance, are something the buyer would decide upon at the time of purchase, so if someone gets that 50" by compromising on sound quality (since they'll hook it up to a home theater anyway), then that's his or her prerogative.
  • #5 (durability), isn't a given for the big names either. And you have to back it up with an expensive warranty to give you peace of mind for your already expensive gadget.
  • #6 I don't know how it is with other brands, but on my Sony, some of the software integrations (Twitter/some apps) have been removed as Sony's license with those parties has expired. I personally cheer that because it was all rubbish that I didn't use, but for them. Also, my TV received the Nougat upgrade in April this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think this was put by Vu. I would not expect Vu to be seen alongside the big names-Sony, Samsung, LG and I doubt these companies would consider Vu to be on par with them especially since the biggest hit these companies are taking would be from Vu.
Good point I didn't recognize Vu, but chalked that to my lack of knowledge in the wider TV space. Thanks for the context.

Last edited by arunphilip : 10th October 2018 at 08:59.
Old 10th October 2018, 08:50   #8763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Today's Times Of India, Mumbai Edition had a full page advert.
Attached below.
Don't know what prompted someone to put this in the paper.
I think this was put by Vu. I would not expect Vu to be seen alongside the big names-Sony, Samsung, LG and I doubt these companies would consider Vu to be on par with them especially since the biggest hit these companies are taking would be from Vu.

In fact Vu is probably the one that brought out this revolution of rock bottom prices.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:15   #8764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think this was put by Vu.
+1000 to you! This must be the brainchild of Vu
Marketing tactics to create some brand value. and also to clock some good sales as they are much cheaper than the rest of its contenders (in the ad).

Last edited by saket77 : 10th October 2018 at 10:16.
Old 10th October 2018, 14:57   #8765
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of these TV brands, TCL is the 3rd largest TV manufacturer in the world after Samsung and LG. And it might end up being no. 2 this year leaving LG behind. It alone is much bigger than Sony, Sharp, VU etc. TCL has also started manufacturing it's panels itself few months back under the CSOT brand (Source - https://www.tcl.eu/en/news/tcls-pane...-panel-modules )

Iffalcon is also a sister brand of TCL promoted for India and being sold on Flipkart (65" for around 65k and 75" for around 1.5L). Both TCL and Iffalcon TV's run ORIGINAL Google certified Android 8 OS, unlike Samsung, LG, Sony etc. It is giving the run for the money to big brands in the US and UK. In fact TCL is the largest selling TV on Amazon USA.

Source - https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...cle9794754.ece

PS - I am not affiliated to anyone, neither do I care to promote any brand. Just sharing information that I have gained.

Last edited by dkaile : 10th October 2018 at 15:03.
Old 11th October 2018, 00:12   #8766
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My hunt for a TV continues.

I am still undecided about buying on Amazon or Flipkart. Spending 50K online is not something I am comforatble with.

I have been offered a Panasonic TH 49FS 630D 1K SMART 49 inch at Rs. 58,500.00. Does anyone have any experience with Panasonic A.S.S. and this model in particular.

The other option is the Samsung 49N 5370 1K SMART 49 inch at Rs. 67,900.00. This one I feel is too expensive.

Both these are available at a brick and mortar store.

Your inputs would be a great help.

Regards,
SS
Old 11th October 2018, 00:29   #8767
BHPian

I bought iFfalcon 55" 4k in an awesome deal on Flipkart for Rs. 36,999! Bought 2 years additional warranty for 3k.
Old 11th October 2018, 21:57   #8768
BHPian

Hi Guys,
So my hunt for a new TV continues...
I have now decided to go with the known devil - Samsung.
It is now just a question of a 43 inch 4K LED Smart TV or a 49 inch normal 1K LED Smart TV.
Price of the 43 inch 4K TV is about Rs. 2000.00 more than the 49 inch 1K TV.
What do you think I should go for?

Is there really a big difference between 1K and 4K during daily watching via a set top box or while watching Netflix? What I mean is are the set top box & Netflix transmissions actually in 4K?

In the shop the 4K definitely looked sharper with better colours but Iam sure they also use some specially selected videos to impress the public.

Your thoughts please. I need to finalise this asap.

Regards,
SS
Old 11th October 2018, 22:11   #8769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

Is there really a big difference between 1K and 4K during daily watching via a set top box or while watching Netflix? What I mean is are the set top box & Netflix transmissions actually in 4K?

Regards,
SS
Settop box content does not come in 4k. But Netflix has a lot of 4k content. Having said that , I don't think at 43inch, the difference between full hd and 4k will be very noticeable. What I have read this that you need to go to 55inch and beyond to see a noticeable difference.
Old 11th October 2018, 22:18   #8770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,
So my hunt for a new TV continues..

I have been using a MI 55" 4K TV since March. To be frank viewing in 4K is astonishing and crisp, but it all boils down to what you will be viewing most of the time, will it be 4K content or 1080p?

I for one have Xbox One X it is a 4K gaming console on which i use Amazon Prime (only Amazon Original contents are 4K), Netflix 4K and YouTube on which few videos are 4K qnd of course 4K gaming. And a DEN setup box,which is 1080p.

Now you need minimum 10MBPS internet speed to watch all this without waiting to buffer. Viewing 1080p on 4K is good, only when in darker scenes the pixels and quality suffers.

I don't have idea which particular Samsung Model you are buying, but would advice go for HDR10 which enhance the quality of videos, shows or movies on NETFLIX and Amazon do have HDR.

Also I don't know how will 4K look on 43" but it does look smashing on 50" above TVs.
Old 11th October 2018, 23:55   #8771
Senior - BHPian

Got to go to a few stores today where I could look at Mid/top tier TVs from LG and Sony mainly.

In the LED range, I liked Sony's picture quality(X9000F & 8500F), LG(8500 SK) was a little too vibrant for my liking.

OLED was much better. I watched a few HD channels via set top box and could easily make out the better picture. The difference wasn't night and day but enough to be noticed.

However, in the end I was a little disappointed because when it comes to pure SD and HD channel via set-top box, none could match the picture quality my plasma offered
4k HDR was breathtakingly good though!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 12th October 2018 at 00:10.
Old 12th October 2018, 01:08   #8772
Senior - BHPian

Got Sony 55 inch X8500F.
After negotiating at dozen of showrooms finally got it for 1.10lac. Also, 6k cashback + Sony Bluetooth speaker + Netflix premium 6 months subscription costing 4800 free.
PQ in both HD and 4k is awesome.
Gaming on PS4 has been great too.

The only gripe is it refuses to recognize my 1TB WD passport hard drive. But, it recognizes my 32gb pen drive instantly. Any idea what could be the issue?
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20181011_204548.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20181010_180002.jpg  

Old 12th October 2018, 01:19   #8773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Got Sony 55 inch X8500F.
After negotiating at dozen of showrooms finally got it for 1.10lac. Also, 6k cashback + Sony Bluetooth speaker + Netflix premium 6 months subscription costing 4800 free.
PQ in both HD and 4k is awesome.
Gaming on PS4 has been great too.

The only gripe is it refuses to recognize my 1TB WD passport hard drive. But, it recognizes my 32gb pen drive instantly. Any idea what could be the issue?
Congrats on an excellent buy. Please check the file system on the 1TB WD and the 32 GB pendrive. Some larger drives are preformatted using NTFS that your TV may not recognise.

The other issue could be power. The 1TB requires more power to spin up and the TV may not be supplying enough. The answer would be to use a externally powered USB hub to connect in between the TV and the drive.
Old 12th October 2018, 01:55   #8774
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

This is a known issue with WD hard drives. Since couple of years they have added a feature, that will block its usage for multimedia.
I have one older WD disk, which works fine with TV, however a newer one does not work. Both are 1 TB each.
I suggest you to check with another hard drive
Old 12th October 2018, 08:53   #8775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Congrats on an excellent buy. Please check the file system on the 1TB WD and the 32 GB pendrive. Some larger drives are preformatted using NTFS that your TV may not recognise.

The other issue could be power. The 1TB requires more power to spin up and the TV may not be supplying enough. The answer would be to use a externally powered USB hub to connect in between the TV and the drive.
Thanks!
Yes it's preformatted using NTFS but the TV specs shows it supports both FAT 32 and NTFS drives.
Will try with a USB hub too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks