Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2018, 14:25   #8791
Senior - BHPian

Ordered a iFFalcon 65" manufactured by TCL. Net price 59990/- on HDFC card. 3 months zero % EMI at 20k each. Already own a 55" Mi LED with which I am fully satisfied and by all reviews this one has a better panel than the Mi, with Google certified Android. Was eyeing a 65" C8 LG Oled for a while. Had a longish detailed test of the same too. But at 2.8L (after discount from its 4 Lac+ MRP), just didn't see the virtue to invest so much into it.
PS - I already also have a 120" 4K Dolby Atmos home theatre set up (with Epson 8300, Marantz SR5012, Nvidia Shield, Sony UB X700, Polk, Elite Screen, etc.) in place.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th October 2018 at 14:31.
Old 14th October 2018, 20:57   #8792
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This is how my 2 yr old Vu tv looks. There are problems with sound too. I am thinking of disposing it and getting something else. ...
Didn't the older VU's come with standard 3 year warranty, since I have a 40" VU that's almost 2 years old and I have a standard 3 year warranty.

I have had no issues (touch wood!) and am super impressed with the picture quality, especially considering VU pricing. Sound was an issue with the older models but easily solved with external speakers.
Old 15th October 2018, 01:26   #8793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Done.
It's still not recognizing the hard drive.
Seems there isn't any solution left to this weird issue.
Does the HDD spin when you connect it to the TV?
Check by tilting the HDD sideways and feel if the disc inside balances itself.
If it doesn't happen, your TV USB isn't giving the power required to run the HDD, the same conclusion as others in the above posts have come to.
Old 15th October 2018, 12:52   #8794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Hey dryice! I just ordered a 55 inch Vu television from flipkart. Would love to know your feedback on the brand and would you recommend buying it or should I go ahead and cancel it. I have only used Sony and Samsung LED and LCDs till now hence have little experience with these new manufacturers. My Bravia LED concked off in 5 years while 2 Samsungs a 40 inch and another 49 inch are working just fine. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger 4k display hence ordered the Vu. Would love to know the opinion of the community on Vu and other competing brands and which one should I go for. Thanks in advance.
My experience hasn't been good, so I can't recommend it to anyone.

Since this was a budget item (less than 20k), I don't have too much of an issue replacing it after ~30 months. But, at the same time, this experience doesn't allow me to bet more on the brand.

In fact, I might not pick up a new piece online, will most probably buy something from my nearby showrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Didn't the older VU's come with standard 3 year warranty, since I have a 40" VU that's almost 2 years old and I have a standard 3 year warranty.

I have had no issues (touch wood!) and am super impressed with the picture quality, especially considering VU pricing. Sound was an issue with the older models but easily solved with external speakers.
Mine had a year warranty.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:13   #8795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is how my 2 yr old Vu tv looks. There are problems with sound too. I am thinking of disposing it

Any recommendations for good 42-43 inchers? It will play SD set-top box content 90% of the time.
Quote:
In fact, I might not pick up a new piece online, will most probably buy something from my nearby showrooms.
Finally bought a LG 43LK5260 from my nearby LG shop and it cost me ~32k after taking into account all the discounts/cashbacks. This is a non-smart, FHD 2018 model which suits me fine as most of the time it will be playing SD content.

On my hunt, I found the dedicated brand showrooms quoting lesser compared to the multi brand showrooms like Reliance, Croma or Vijay Sales.

As for times when I might want to use it, may buy a chromecast from Reliance or Croma some other day.
Old 21st October 2018, 16:35   #8796
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
This is how my 2 yr old Vu tv looks. There are problems with sound too. I am thinking of disposing it and getting something else.

Any recommendations for good 42-43 inchers? It will play SD set-top box content 90% of the time. So I am not too inclined to get a 4k or even smart tv.

Any LG which fits in your budget. My LG is now 4+ years old. As good as new. I didn't even get an extended warranty on it. Plain Full HD - not a SmartTV.
Old 21st October 2018, 17:25   #8797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Got to go to a few stores today where I could look at Mid/top tier TVs from LG and Sony mainly.
Ended up buying LG 49SK8500 finally. Sony had the best picture quality when sitting directly in front of the tv, but the picture degraded quite a bit when viewed from an angle. LG was much better in this regard and since we have a wide seating arrangement, made sense to opt for the LG.

OLED's were clearly superior but also very expensive.

Its been a week now, and I got a chance to watch 4k HDR content as well (Jack Ryan on Prime) a small comparo with the outgoing Panasonic Plasma

SD content- Plasma was better as the colors seems very vibrant on LG

HD Content- With the upscaling, it looks a lot better now than with Plasma. This was a surprise as I'd expected plasma to be better here as well based on the store demo.

4k HDR- Much better than expected, may be the 9 series from Sony and OLED trump it, but i'm more than happy considering the significant savings.

Also, Devi International is THE place to go to for the best deals, I ended up getting it for nearly 10k cheaper than Girias near my home who were already quoting 15k less than online stores.

Only question- is extended warranty worth it ? I was quoted 33k for 4 years after the existing one year warranty expires. I feel if something big fails(like motherboard etc) in 2-3 years' time it may be better to replace than repair.
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:24   #8798
BHPian

Congrats Shashank.nk. I am in similar quandary. Planning to upgrade to OLED from my 11 yrs old Panasonic plasma-720p. Till now the TV has been flawless, but planning to move on.
Sony 65 inch OLED cost around 334000 after discount.it comes with one year warranty.guys, I need your help here.
Is there any dedicated third partyTV insurance,to give us peace of mind?
Thx in advance.

Last edited by drbabuanand : 23rd October 2018 at 08:26.
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:42   #8799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
Sony 65 inch OLED cost around 334000 after discount.it comes with one year warranty.guys, I need your help here.
Which OLED model is this? A8F?
Old 23rd October 2018, 08:48   #8800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Which OLED model is this? A8F?
Yes.comes with a discount of around 30k.
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:19   #8801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Only question- is extended warranty worth it ? I was quoted 33k for 4 years after the existing one year warranty expires. I feel if something big fails(like motherboard etc) in 2-3 years' time it may be better to replace than repair.
Congratulations on your purchase.
I would advise you to definitely go for extended warranty.
With the 4 year extended warranty, you are assured peace of mind for next 5 years - 1+4.

Would appreciate feedback, if any, regarding hooking up a 4K gaming console to your 4K TV.
Thanks in advance.
Old 24th October 2018, 09:06   #8802
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a Mi LED Smart TV 4A 43 during the Flipkart sale and I thought of writing a review since I really couldn't see many posts on it. Everyone is buying only expensive TVs here.

1) I paid only 14.5k after exchanging our 6 years old Sony Bravia 32" smart TV. An amazing deal considering the Mi is full HD, 43" and smart too.

2) The delivery, installation and the exchange was really fast and smooth. Full marks for Flipkart and Mi there!

3) I am not a fan of Mi phones, so was very apprehensive about picking this up. But was definitely not interested in buying a Sony or Samsung for so much money. Never felt our existing Bravia was worth the money we paid 6 years back. But the deal was irresistible and TV usage is very much limited to the weekends for us.

4) And PatchWall is horrible. The display looks sad once the TV boots up. With the resolution nowhere near the specifications.

5) But its a different story with the Fire stick. Have watched 1080p Movies, Carfection, Peppa Pig, Hey Duggee etc. on YouTube many times over now and it looks amazing. It easily streams YouTube videos in 1080p by default. Same for watching F1 or Football on Hotstar - No ghosting when the boys light up the track or turf which was definitely there on our old Bravia. Though I need to find a way for Fire TV to boot up by default. That's how it was on the Sony and I could get away with using just one remote. Like I mentioned earlier, Mi needs to invest or replace PatchWall. And I love the compact remote as well except for the springs used in the cavity for the batteries.

6) The TV doesn't have Bluetooth, so I can't connect it to my Sony XB30s. But the in-built speaker do a very decent job. Loud and clear it is.

7) The build is pathetic though. The plastic is really bad quality and even the legs supporting the TV won't cut it for strength or feel. The edges move at the slightest of touches and it really cannot take abuse. Keep it somewhere and do not touch or move it ever.

Overall, its definitely a great deal for the picture and sound the TV offers. But everything else needs a lot of work. But I cannot complain for the money paid or the service I got so far.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th October 2018 at 15:47. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Old 24th October 2018, 12:33   #8803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
I want to buy a 32 inch LED Full HD Smart TV. Sony (KLV-32W672F) and Samsung (32M5570) are the 2 top contenders being priced at around 30-35K. The Sony's display panel has a 50Hz refresh rate against Samsung's 60Hz which could be a disadvantage for the Sony when playing 60fps videos or gaming. The Sony does have a better sound setup though with an integrated subwoofer. Any advice on this from the experts?
I ended up buying the Sony KLV-32W672F TV. The picture and sound quality is a big step up from our old 21 inch Samsung CRT TV. Configured Amazon Prime and Netflix right away. Watching HD content on Youtube, Amazon Prime and Netflix is a treat.
The only problem is the reflective surface of the display causes eye strain. We switch off the main tube light of our hall and use the small CFL light to remedy this situation.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:42   #8804
BHPian

Any feedback regarding Sanyo 43" TV from Amazon? I have 32" model since 6 months and its very decent for the price.
Old 24th October 2018, 14:20   #8805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I picked up a Mi LED Smart TV 4A 43 during the Flipkart sale and I thought of writing a review since I really couldn't see many posts on it. Everyone is buying only expensive TVs here.
Not everyone I guess : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4462631 (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.)

I too had an old Bravia which I am using as a computer monitor now. This new 55" inch cost me just a little more than the 32" Bravia I purchased some 9 years ago. I would say, it is great value for money. I have posted my observations above.

I am actually surprised to learn about the compromised build quality of the 43" TV that you bought because the 55" inch one feels premium. Update on bluetooth connectivity is that I was able to connect external bluetooth speakers easily.

But you definitely got a great deal when you see the total money out-go!

Regards,
Saket.

Most Viewed