Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 11:45   #8896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I am US. Planning to buy a 55" OLED TV to carry to India. The usual prices for 55" OLED TVs in US are about $2000-$2200 (INR 1, 50,000). Should I get one from here? There will be additional costs of getting it to India, like airline charges, customs, 220 - 120 converter which will add up to another INR 30,000 or so. What are the ongoing prices for 55" OLED tv prices in India? Company websites show maximum retail price, so can't go by them.

I checked Amazon, and I found a 2018 model for INR 1, 45,000. https://www.amazon.in/LG-inches-Ultr...HKG9R3TJ7BXDBZ
Customs should be 35-40% on invoice value. So depending upon model if cost is 50% of Indian retail price then only it is advisable. LG Oled C8 55" was going for 140k 4-5 months back in outlets like Snehanjali.
Old 31st May 2019, 13:06   #8897
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Now that I have gone ahead with my VU Tv purchase, I wanted to check how to make my TV Bluetooth compatible, so that I can use a BT headset to watch in the night.
Tried to check on Amazon for BT transmitters for TV, but wanted information from someone who has actually done it.
Something that could could accommodate 2 headsets, would be a bonus.
Old 31st May 2019, 13:12   #8898
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Planning to buy a 55" OLED TV to carry to India. The usual prices for 55" OLED TVs in US are about $2000-$2200 (INR 1, 50,000). Should I get one from here? There will be additional costs of getting it to India, like airline charges, customs, 220 - 120 converter which will add up to another INR 30,000 or so.
I think you've listed the reasons why it's not worth the effort and money, even the warranty may not be valid internationally.
Old 31st May 2019, 16:10   #8899
Senior - BHPian

I was using MERLIN BT connector. It's fine for basic connectivity. But you cant pair two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
how to make my TV Bluetooth compatible
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2019, 08:08   #8900
Senior - BHPian

Bought a TCL 65 inch QLED TV Android certified TV recently. Extremely happy with the purchase. It comes with Harmon Kardon Speakers built in. 3 years standard warranty as a part of the package. It is a total VFM product. Got a very good pricing deal on the product.
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-939fd34cb17d49ddb28b8fd4fb229abd500x500.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-137a00ac3a744a64a36be5dbe372e6ab500x500.jpeg

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-c503b49941bb47febff6ac209d2f8fd7500x500.jpeg
Old 2nd June 2019, 21:31   #8901
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to ask a noob question, but whats the big deal about a smart TV?
I have a 32 LCD Sony Bravia and have invested in an Apple TV and hence Im able to stream most content from my phone and the Apple TV itself has a host of apps and storage , such that it works as an independent device most of the time. The Apple TV remote doubles as a gaming joystick and is sufficient for someone like me who is not a gaming addict.

My question therefore is, what can a smart TV offer over and above what I can do with a accessory like the Apple TV? The reason I also ask this is because my TV is more than 11 years old now and I intend to replace it sometime later this year or next. And when I do replace the TV, can I not simply opt for a mid range TV, say around 50k, and just continue to use my Apple TV along with it?
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:27   #8902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
My question therefore is, what can a smart TV offer over and above what I can do with a accessory like the Apple TV?
In one word, "Nothing". Actually smart TVs make sense for those who do not have streaming set top boxes like Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire stick etc. Since you already own one of these, having inbuilt Smart TV is not a must have for you. Although, any TV over 40k will have Smart TV features inbuilt, whether you want or not.

Last edited by shipnil : 3rd June 2019 at 09:28.
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:40   #8903
Senior - BHPian

Will AppleTV stream NETFLIX/PRIME? Also the content charges are higher right? Being Apple
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:03   #8904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Will AppleTV stream NETFLIX/PRIME?
They do work and they do work effortlessly along with hotstar, apple's own apple tv app (Recently launched), zee 5 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Also the content charges are higher right? Being Apple
Subscription cost is defined by the service provider in this case Netflix and amazon hence apple has nothing to do with it. IIRC, the likes of Netflix and Spotify specifically do not keep billing through app (For purchasing subscription one needs to visit website) in order to bypass apple's payment system and in turn avoiding paying a premium to apple.

The best part about apple tv comes in case you are already into apple's eco system with macbook, ipad and iphone in which case airplay works without hiccups and you can easily mirror your screen which i find is a big ask even in many of the Smart TVs specially with iOS devices in play.
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:26   #8905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I need to replace my TV back home in Cochin. Looking for a 32 - 40 inch non smart LED TV with Full HD. Picture quality gets top priority. There seems to be a huge variation in price once you go above the 32 inch mark. Probably due to the tax difference for bigger TV's. Any suggestions ?
Finally picked up the LG 43LJ55 smart TV a couple of weeks back for 32k. This is a 2017 model but manufactured in 2019. Full HD IPS panel with 43 inch screen. Few apps like hotstar, youtube etc come preloaded.
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:40   #8906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Bought a TCL 65 inch QLED TV Android certified TV recently. Extremely happy with the purchase. It comes with Harmon Kardon Speakers built in. 3 years standard warranty as a part of the package. It is a total VFM product. Got a very good pricing deal on the product. ...
Did you buy this online or from a store? If online, some details please?
Old 4th June 2019, 17:33   #8907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The TV has arrived and it looks and feels good. Picture quality is better than my old 9 year old LG, but not by a huge margin.

Am new to Android TVs so am a bit miffed by the amount of time it takes to boot up. It takes about 45 seconds which feels like forever compared to traditional TVs. Is there a mode in Android TVs where you can put it in some sleep mode and only shut down the OS at the end of the day? Or a simple screen off would have done the trick.
I own this TV as well since several months. Pretty happy after the Oreo update. There is a pretty active Telegram group of iFfalcon K2A owners. PM me if you are interested in joining.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:50   #8908
BHPian

I have one of the last few plasma TVs manufactured. I had bought it in 2013. While buying that my research concluded that these new age TVs won't last long like CRT TVs of earlier era. So it is best to buy additional warranty. So I did. The first failure I had was in 2014 in the second year of warranty. Panel had developed a line of dead pixels. Samsung duly replaced panel without any undue bickering. Now, since yesterday, again I am seeing two lines appearing with different color. It is out of warranty and I don't think any plasma panels are available now.

Both the points from general consensus of people came true, like, it will develop failure within a short time as well as TV life is not long.

So it seems, I might have to buy a new TV in a month or so, hence need advice.

Requirements:

1. Current TV is 51 inch. So I wish to go for bigger size. Either 65 inch or 75 inch. My viewing distance is about 14 feet.
2. Backlight LED / local dimming
3. HDR 10
4. Longer manufacturer warranty is preferable.
5. Budget 1L or thereabouts

Questions
1. As I wish to buy something in 1L, there are hardly any options from Samsung, LG etc. How do the budget brands like Vu, TCL fare compared to known ones?
2. As long as my current TV lasted, the OS and features worked flawlessly. In initial years, I hardly used smart features. But since last 3 years, we have regularly used Youtube and Prime video on it. How do Vu, TCL fare here?
3. How is the picture quality in these TVs?
4. Is extended warranty available with all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Bought a TCL 65 inch QLED TV Android certified TV recently.
Did you buy offline? How much did it cost you?
Old 18th June 2019, 14:02   #8909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

Questions
1. As I wish to buy something in 1L, there are hardly any options from Samsung, LG etc. How do the budget brands like Vu, TCL fare compared to known ones?
2. As long as my current TV lasted, the OS and features worked flawlessly. In initial years, I hardly used smart features. But since last 3 years, we have regularly used Youtube and Prime video on it. How do Vu, TCL fare here?
3. How is the picture quality in these TVs?
4. Is extended warranty available with all?
I have 3 VU TVs at home & 2 Sony TVs. The Sony TVs are used daily whereas only 1 VU is used daily, and the others are used sporadically (hence the reason to get the VU and not a Sony).

In terms of usability, the Sony & the VU are pretty much on par with similar features in built and both are easy to use. I find casting on the Sony that much easier, and on the VU we have a Google Chromecast that we use.

Picture quality of the VU is pretty decent though I feel it could be that much better especially while watching sports for example - please have a look at the showroom carefully before picking one up, but overall nothing to complain about. Sony has better quality undoubtedly but there isn't a big difference.

In terms of warranty - the VU comes with a 3 year warranty, unlike other manufacturers who only offer 1 year warranty.

That being said, the VU has a few niggles -

1) Our newest VU randomly switches itself off
2) our other VU has a dead patch in the middle of the screen that comes up sporadically and once in a while it disappears too randomly - I fear this is because of the placement being right below the AC as it is not the screen acting up but something else. However since it is out of warranty period I have let it be for now.
3) The third VU - regular LED with no 4K or Smart features works perfectly.

The VU has Netflix & Youtube in-built but Prime requires it to be casted on.

As an option, you could think about getting a simpler TV & picking up a Fire Stick / Chromecast that would act as an enabler of the Smart function on the TV.
Old 18th June 2019, 15:16   #8910
BHPian

Folks please suggest a TV for me. I have a LG32IN smart TV and it's going good for some years now. No issues whatsoever.

I would like to buy 49" and above. Has anyone recently bought brands like Panasonic, Sanyo, Kodak etc (other than the big 3). If so what has been the experience. Am ok with a full HD TV also provided the PQ is great. Not interested in Vu and others.

Most Viewed