Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 18:01   #9331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Was in similar situation last week and same fix worked.

As of now, I don't see any alternate method than to re-login using Jio.

But wasn't this a temporary glitch? I mean, I haven't had to login again since last week. May be they will release a fix soon should the issue persist.
Could be, I guess I got impatient and did the reset and should have waited. While not all, some of the channels are repeated outside Jio TV as well - so that is a backup option.

After doing some searching I realized there are several other apps like this like Ola TV, Cloud TV, Exhousia and AOS TV. I am yet to try any of these. In case you have tried any of these - do update.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:28   #9332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Was initially inclined towards Mi TV however on watching some YouTube reviews , Vu premium tv ( new model ) is substantially better .
Anyone has a long term experience with Vu . Will they last .
What about their After sales support .
Can their warranty be extended .

What do you guys suggest based on your experience
Same situation. Need to replace TV for parents bedroom. After some research on You tube, VU Premium TV ( model launched in march) is highly recommended. Plus at 31k its terrific VFM if PQ is as good as you tube and User reviews on Flipkart states. Couple of friends are using VU since few years and they only have good things to say.

However, anyone with personal experience regarding after sales support please share it.
Old 1st May 2020, 20:31   #9333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Same situation. Need to replace TV for parents bedroom. After some research on You tube, VU Premium TV ( model launched in march) is highly recommended. Plus at 31k its terrific VFM if PQ is as good as you tube and User reviews on Flipkart states. Couple of friends are using VU since few years and they only have good things to say.

However, anyone with personal experience regarding after sales support please share it.
I have a 55 VU Andorid that I purchased in Oct / November 2019 for 36k. It is doing its duties pretty well, touchwood. But I do not use DTH on that TV so cannot comment on SD channel quality. Streaming quality is pretty good. But the soap opera effect could have been better. Expect nothing in terms of audio quality.

Btw, there are two 55 inch TVs currently - 31k and 35k (approx). All the reviews I have read indicate that the latter is a better buy.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st May 2020 at 20:32.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:35   #9334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have a 55 VU Andorid that I purchased in Oct / November 2019 for 36k. It is doing its duties pretty well, touchwood. But I do not use DTH on that TV so cannot comment on SD channel quality.

Btw, there are two 55 inch TVs currently - 31k and 35k (approx). All the reviews I have read indicate that the latter is a better buy.
Thanks.
Could you also give me the model of your TV?

This is the one with good reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-screenshot_20200501203544.jpg  

Last edited by harry10 : 1st May 2020 at 20:36.
Old 1st May 2020, 20:36   #9335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have a 55 VU Andorid that I purchased in Oct / November 2019 for 36k. It is doing its duties pretty well, touchwood. But I do not use DTH on that TV so cannot comment on SD channel quality. Streaming quality is pretty good. But the soap opera effect could have been better. Expect nothing in terms of audio quality.

Thanks .
Was comparing mi and vu .
All reviews on you tube say vu is much better .

Quote:
Thanks.

This is the one with good reviews.
There are two
One is vu premium tv 2020 for 31k
Second is vu cinema tv for 35k

The first one is launched recently and is much better as per you tube reviews . The second one though has much better sound as it has a separate sound bar .

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st May 2020 at 20:51. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:58   #9336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks.
This is the one I bought

https://www.flipkart.com/vu-premium-...GCM9SZMMUKFKH6
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 16:56   #9337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
ThopTV is the one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I recall using Thop TV an year or so ago. Can't remember why I settled for Oreo.
There was one more which displayed adult ads in between content or while switching channels; I hope that's not Thop TV.
More Research from my side over the long weekend. I tried multiple apps for this purpose and here are some notes:

1. Thop TV: As called out by tanwaramit, this App provides access to HD variants of many Live TV Channels under the sub heading Tulip TV. So, I have decided to retain Thop TV. The quality difference between Thop and Oreo is visible especially in the News Channels like Republic TV, CNN News 18 ,Times Now etc. No Ads seen so far after installing on TV.

Cons: Navigation is not very friendly and there is no Favorites option. One needs to search the channels. So channel surfing is painful.

2. Oreo TV: Simple to use, has wide variety of channels and has a Favorites Option which is a Killer Feature. Good for Star and Sony Channels. News Channels are available but quality is lower compared to Thop TV. No Ads seen so far.

Cons: The content from many channels is not HD.

3. RedBox TV: It can be kept as a Back Up Option if any of the above go for a toss. Did not find anything here as a differentiator to the above two.

4. Ola TV: There is an Ad Free Mod for this one - be sure to get that or else you will be flooded with Ads you dont want to see Installation is also slightly tricky as it needs some additional Ludio Player. Icon did not appear on the Andoid TV Menu. This one provides access to International Channels in HD Quality - so if one is interested in Fox News, CNN News, MS NBC, BBC, HBO Signature etc.

That completes my round up of the apps that I tried.

Now a question to the folks using these apps, are you folks using any additional VPN software as that seems to be recommended?
Old 5th May 2020, 21:24   #9338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
More Research from my side over the long weekend. I tried multiple apps for this purpose and here are some notes:

[b]1. Thop TV:

[b]2. Oreo TV:

[b]3. RedBox TV:

[b]4. Ola TV:]

That completes my round up of the apps that I tried.
Are these apps available on 'FireStick''?
Old 10th May 2020, 11:16   #9339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are these apps available on 'FireStick''?
Yes, check the following site: URL
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 18:06   #9340
BHPian

Folks, need some advice

Been hunting for a worthy replacement for our old Samsung 32" LCD. This is in a well lit living room and so there's a fair share of reflection in the room. So, I am hunting for something that doesn't show up like a mirror but also has decent pictures. I am down to the final three (55" tvs) and these are the usual suspects

1. Sony X9500G - love the colors and realistic detail. Not sure about the reflective nature of the screen. Android, I'd believe is the most flexible OS but would love to hear from you. Price quoted is about 1.1L

2. Samsung Q80R - as always, hyped up colors but it doesn't seem bad at all (maybe because we are used to our Samsung LCD but I don't think the picture quality is even remotely comparable). Loved the anti glare reflective coating but in video reviews, it is mentioned that it crushes the blacks. Tizen has come a long way but again, it's not Android. Price quoted is 1.3L

3. LG 9500 series - it's an all rounder with similar capabilities as the other two. Wasn't that impressed by the picture quality (not sure if it's the showroom trick). But WebOS is supposed to be good. Haven't asked the price but online is about 1 - 1.1L.

What would you recommend? Primary use is to watch sports, online content and connect a grandfather-old Wii to play games.
Old 11th May 2020, 18:15   #9341
Team-BHP Support

I think the OS should be the least of your concerns, given that it can be fixed with a 4k Firetv stick anytime if needed.
Old 11th May 2020, 19:02   #9342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Folks, need some advice

Been hunting for a worthy replacement for our old Samsung 32" LCD. This is in a well lit living room and so there's a fair share of reflection in the room. So, I am hunting for something that doesn't show up like a mirror but also has decent pictures. I am down to the final three (55" tvs) and these are the usual suspects

1. Sony X9500G - love the colors and realistic detail. Not sure about the reflective nature of the screen. Android, I'd believe is the most flexible OS but would love to hear from you. Price quoted is about 1.1L

2. Samsung Q80R - as always, hyped up colors but it doesn't seem bad at all (maybe because we are used to our Samsung LCD but I don't think the picture quality is even remotely comparable). Loved the anti glare reflective coating but in video reviews, it is mentioned that it crushes the blacks. Tizen has come a long way but again, it's not Android. Price quoted is 1.3L

3. LG 9500 series - it's an all rounder with similar capabilities as the other two. Wasn't that impressed by the picture quality (not sure if it's the showroom trick). But WebOS is supposed to be good. Haven't asked the price but online is about 1 - 1.1L.

What would you recommend? Primary use is to watch sports, online content and connect a grandfather-old Wii to play games.

Your first priority should be the picture quality, OS can be taken care of, not the picture quality. Since you have shortlisted Lcd-led models (please correct me if I M wrong), they will suit your well lit room as they have much higher brightness than OLEDs. Since you will be connecting old Wii, make sure the TV has compatible ports. Also, ensure that TV has enough connectivity ports overall and should be able to connect good number of devices. Also assuming these are 4k HDR TVs, check if you get Dolby vision as well. Samsung will have HDR10+.
Old 11th May 2020, 19:11   #9343
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some advice

1. Sony X9500G...
2. Samsung Q80R
3. LG 9500 series
Hi Max,

If the viewing angles are small, go with Sony X9500G. The reflections won't be too distracting once the backlight is high enough. LG OLED [B9 or C9] is another choice you might want to take a look at, they are exceptional value for money and the PQ is way better than any of the TVs listed. Burn-in is a concern but a minor one if the content is varied.
Old 11th May 2020, 19:48   #9344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Sony X9500G
Check the discounts on Sony TV when buying: URL

Quote:
Discount of up to 20% with special price offers for key BRAVIA TV models; priority delivery and installation on advance booking.
Old 12th May 2020, 14:30   #9345
BHPian

Thanks all. On the OLED recommendation, since it's a brightly lit room, would that not be a problem?

As suggested by most of you, I'll ignore the OS comparisons.

Between Samsung and Sony, it's hard to tell. I love the One Connect box which reduces clutter. Any of you have this?

Most Viewed