Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2020, 00:43   #9346
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Folks, need some advice

Been hunting for a worthy replacement for our old Samsung 32" LCD. This is in a well lit living room and so there's a fair share of reflection in the room. So, I am hunting for something that doesn't show up like a mirror but also has decent pictures. I am down to the final three (55" tvs) and these are the usual suspects

What would you recommend? Primary use is to watch sports, online content and connect a grandfather-old Wii to play games.
I would recommend the X9500G for sports. Sony is known to have the best motion and upscaling. The particular model is also known to have good colours out of the box.

To decide, I would recommend viewing the TV's in real world conditions like satellite tv, to see how sports content looks like, for example. This will give you a better idea.

As others have mentioned, the main parameter to decide should be picture quality. You can live with a crappy OS but never with unsatisfactory picture quality.
Old 13th May 2020, 21:19   #9347
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just wondering if anyone here has had issues of the LCD/LED TV's circuit board (could be most likely the secondary board) failing AND the headphone out (3.5 mm jack) connected to powered speakers?

I've been reading conflicting accounts of using the headphone-out (not line out) to drive powered speakers or an amp connected to passive speakers. Some say the boards fail prematurely due to this. Has happened to a friend's Sony LED TV which was within the warranty period and our Samsung LCD TV back at home. In both the cases, the boards were replaced; approx. Rs. 7k was spent on replacement. Some others say this is perfectly safe.

In any case, I have switched to a cheap Amazonbasics DAC (link; not referral) which converts optical out from the TV to RCA stereo output (L/R). Costs Rs. 800 and there was a dramatic change in the SQ as well. This is a safer option to take the audio out from the TV. The package comes with the optical cable and the micro USB cable which powers the DAC. It also comes with a coaxial digital input; if both the optical and coaxial inputs are connected, the optical input takes precedence. No snaps of the internals; did not pry it open.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2020 at 21:20.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 11:20   #9348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, just wondering if anyone here has had issues of the LCD/LED TV's circuit board (could be most likely the secondary board) failing AND the headphone out (3.5 mm jack) connected to powered speakers?

I've been reading conflicting accounts of using the headphone-out (not line out) to drive powered speakers or an amp connected to passive speakers. Some say the boards fail prematurely due to this. Has happened to a friend's Sony LED TV which was within the warranty period and our Samsung LCD TV back at home. In both the cases, the boards were replaced; approx. Rs. 7k was spent on replacement. Some others say this is perfectly safe.

In any case, I have switched to a cheap Amazonbasics DAC (link; not referral) which converts optical out from the TV to RCA stereo output (L/R). Costs Rs. 800 and there was a dramatic change in the SQ as well. This is a safer option to take the audio out from the TV. The package comes with the optical cable and the micro USB cable which powers the DAC. It also comes with a coaxial digital input; if both the optical and coaxial inputs are connected, the optical input takes precedence. No snaps of the internals; did not pry it open.
I have a Creative powered 2.1 speaker system hooked to a Sanyo 43 inch LED TV for over 2 years now. The speaker is powered through it's own adapter and plugged into the TV's headphone Jack. I have had no problems so far. I do have a UPS powering both the TV and the Speaker system.
Old 14th May 2020, 12:58   #9349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

I.
I have been doing that with my panasonic plasma for 12 years. Didnt know it could have an issue. Should be same for any display panel. Is it because of extra drag on the port since they usually have much less ratings ?
Old 14th May 2020, 13:49   #9350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
The Jio TV (Jolly TV) part of Oreo TV stopped working. I went to Manage Apps and cleared the Data and Cache. I was asked to login again and it started to work fine again. But all the Favorites are gone now.

Is there a way somehow to Relogin to Jio without having to Clear the Data and Cache so the favorites are retained ?
For anyone who wants to access JollyTV in Oreo TV app, there is a neat trick that I discovered. Not sure if it has been shared before or not but it works everytime. So what you do is, set up your mobile with your Jio simcard as a hotspot and connect your FireTV stick or TV to that hotspot. Now open Oreo then JollyTV and click the login option which says something like 'I have a Jio connection/hotspot' or something, don't remember exactly. This way you don't have to enter any login info (number or password) in Oreo app which anyways could be a security concern. After JollyTV succesfully starts to play content, just connect to your usual WiFi and continue watching it. Works after restarts and all too. Any time JollyTV starts to fumble, just follow the steps again (working without a single glitch till now in my case). And also, you don't have to clear data, just clearing the cache would do the trick. One more point, make sure you are connected to a server in India if your are using a VPN, for this to work. Hopefully this helps.

Cheers
carrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 14:37   #9351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Folks, need some advice

Been hunting for a worthy replacement for our old Samsung 32" LCD. This is in a well lit living room and so there's a fair share of reflection in the room. So, I am hunting for something that doesn't show up like a mirror but also has decent pictures. I am down to the final three (55" tvs) and these are the usual suspects

1. Sony X9500G - love the colors and realistic detail. Not sure about the reflective nature of the screen. Android, I'd believe is the most flexible OS but would love to hear from you. Price quoted is about 1.1L

What would you recommend? Primary use is to watch sports, online content and connect a grandfather-old Wii to play games.
That price of 1.1L for Sony is excellent price. I have bought X9000F last year from Dubai since its lowest quote I got in India was 1.32 L. Earlier I had Samsung 5 series Plasma but still I do not find it harsh on eyes. Also it has VA panel unlike its lower series like 8 or 7 which has IPS panel.
At that time LG oled was available at 1.25 L at some store chains. But due to fear of burn in I preferred Sony.
My Samsung plasma had more reflections than this and also low brightness. I can not compare other 2 models you quoted. The quantum dot of Samsung is same as Triluminus display which Sony has from 2008, I think.
Old 15th May 2020, 08:18   #9352
BHPian

Thanks! Tilting to the Sony but the Samsung One Connect box is so brilliantly elegant in it's design and purpose if I wall mount the tv. The Sony otoh will have all the wires (I count at least 3) hanging out from the sides.

So, this work from home thing is making me go down this deep rabbit hole fast. I am discovering things that either shouldn't matter to me or is a big omg differentiation. Did y'all know that Samsung doesn't support eARC? Someone said that and so I went to find out what's the difference. Looks like it is a clear differentiation. And omg! Sony doesn't allow variable refresh rates? omg! that's another one.

And that, folks, is how one goes mad buying a tv.

In a week, you'll hear from me that I am sticking to my computer screen.

Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:13   #9353
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Folks, its time to replace our 12 year old TV at home as the led screen started showing black lines. I am thinking of replacing it with a smart tv (40") full hd one which will be used in our living room.

I have heard that Mi tv is good but am skeptical about the product life, service . I usually buy trusted brands like Samsung, Sony or LG but keeping my options open for now. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:00   #9354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, ----snip---chelpful.
TV is our life. We love our TVs. Go to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...d-etc-594.html (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.)
More pages than for appliances.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:19   #9355
BHPian

Quote:

I have heard that Mi tv is good but am skeptical about the product life, service . I usually buy trusted brands like Samsung, Sony or LG but keeping my options open for now. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
When it comes to TV, we always stick with Sony , although we have a Mi TV for a room , but Sony is miles ahead when it comes to clarity and sound.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:38   #9356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
When it comes to TV, we always stick with Sony , although we have a Mi TV for a room , but Sony is miles ahead when it comes to clarity and sound.
Sony in TV was a name to reckon with, when they had the best Technology in Trinitron Tube. Ever since the LCD and then LED invasion, it has lost that spot, though there is not a clear name to declare as its successor.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:37   #9357
BANNED

Quote:
I have heard that Mi tv is good but am skeptical about the product life, service . I usually buy trusted brands like Samsung, Sony or LG but keeping my l.

Have been sticking with Samsung for few years now. No fanboy for samsung, just that it comes top when one looks at price, specifications and performance. Reliability too is high.

Regarding Mi the brand - after what is happening on the borders, I'll avoid it. :-(

Also, I am more comfortable with Android than Samsung's own OS. Reasons are, again political - though my own smart TV runs on Samsung's OS. I was not aware of existence of Samsung's OS whatever it is called. Had decided on a silly TV (or.,.. non-smart) model, and was considering chromecast or whatever, but at the shop, kids put their foot down and I ended feeling like a tech dinosaur, a happy one at that.

LG and Sony were premium, with Sony being preposterously expensive. I may add that my experience with Sony as a brand and durability of their product has not been happy.
Old 23rd May 2020, 13:07   #9358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Sony in TV was a name to reckon with, when they had the best Technology in Trinitron Tube. Ever since the LCD and then LED invasion, it has lost that spot, though there is not a clear name to declare as its successor.
I also used to be in the same camp about LCD/LED generation couple of years ago while shopping for TV, but then side by side comparison of Samsung, LG, Sony (of similar price points) with just two clips was enough to show the difference. A dark scene (actually a Panasonic demo clip) and a snow scene (DivX demo clip) changed my perspective.
Old 23rd May 2020, 13:23   #9359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I also used to be in the same camp about LCD/LED generation couple of years ago while shopping for TV, but then side by side comparison of Samsung, LG, Sony (of similar price points) with just two clips was enough to show the difference. A dark scene (actually a Panasonic demo clip) and a snow scene (DivX demo clip) changed my perspective.
What was the result, final opinion ?
Old 23rd May 2020, 16:43   #9360
BHPian

Hi guys, I need help in deciding a smart TV. Due to space constraints, I cannot buy a 55 inch TV, I can have a 50 inch one. Please suggest a model with very good picture quality/ clarity of color & pixel. I did not find any OLED in this size unfortunately. Is Qled a good alternative to Oled? I heard in reviews that viewing sports in Qled is not that good an experience (moving ball creates pixel streaks on screen). I am confused with so many brands available with so many specs (4K, 8K, UHD, etc). Also, is it there any possible alternative to buying a TV like a setup of a basic AVR, 3.1 speaker, Fire Stick and a good HD monitor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks