Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 16:02   #9451
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

So at the end- got home a Sony Bravia TV (mouths says it's reliable). Yes, my parents are glued to the TV (needs a new background and wall mounting) Previously a 40inch used to sit and due to the size up it covers my lil showcase.

I don't enjoy watching TV as my eye sight is just meh. It's really irritating to see from a distance. My parents seems to be loving it. Also subscribed for Amazon Prime and got 500 off as I'm below 24 years also (offer for 18-24)

The TV is connected to the old home theater system that has 2 tall stands, 2 small speakers behind the sofa and 1 behind the TV and a big box speaker hidden near the TV. It was Samsung. Why waste on Sony speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-screenshot_20200706155729_gallery.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-20200706_160335.jpg  

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 6th July 2020 at 16:06.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 16:21   #9452
BHPian

Any thoughts on the new OnePlus TV's? Have finalised on buying the 55U1 model, reviews on blogs and YouTube etc look very promising.

Would love to hear thoughts on this one from fellow members.
Old 7th July 2020, 06:29   #9453
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Any thoughts on the new OnePlus TV's? Have finalised on buying the 55U1 model, reviews on blogs and YouTube etc look very promising.

Honestly I don't see what it offers that the competition doesn't except for the 3 GB of RAM. So unless it absolutely has to be an Android TV, I would avoid it.

Now even Samsungs are available at the same price and LG at 3-4k more.

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Inches.../dp/B086RB5VSJ

https://www.amazon.in/LG-inches-55UM...4083787&sr=8-1

Budget brands like VU and Thomson have considerably cheaper offerings.

https://www.flipkart.com/thomson-139...=1594083901929

https://www.amazon.in/inches-Ultra-A.../dp/B089KVCGCV

Why would anyone buy the Oneplus, I just don't see the point. Or maybe I am missing something.

Last edited by Oxy : 7th July 2020 at 06:39.
Old 7th July 2020, 10:16   #9454
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I'm a DIY kind of person and prefer doing the setup myself. If I unbox and set it up myself, does that affect the warranty in anyway?
Sir, don't ever do that.

The first thing the set up guy will check is if the box seals are intact. Only then will he proceed with the unboxing.

The store I buy all my TVs from keep repeating (I guess they have had to firefight this issue with a few customers) this because if the box is open and there is a problem with your tv during set up, he will lift his hands and say you have damaged the unit before hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
So at the end- got home a Sony Bravia TV
Congratulations on your new purchase. Don't forget the extended warranty. Sony provides 1+2 years only while Samsung used to provide 1+3 years.
I would also invest in a good UPS if you don't have one. My TV got into a spot of bother once there was a power fluctuation in my home.
Enjoy the ownership.

Last edited by Ithaca : 7th July 2020 at 10:21.
Old 7th July 2020, 13:19   #9455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Honestly I don't see what it offers that the competition doesn't except for the 3 GB of RAM. So unless it absolutely has to be an Android TV, I would avoid it.

Now even Samsungs are available at the same price and LG at 3-4k more.

Budget brands like VU and Thomson have considerably cheaper offerings.

Why would anyone buy the Oneplus, I just don't see the point. Or maybe I am missing something.
Thanks, appreciate your input. My preference is an Android TV so as to avoid using any external boxes like a Fire stick or Chromecast etc (nothing against them, have them now, but looking for the cleanest setup possible), so that kind of knocks out the Samsung, LG and Sony's in this price range.

Also the OnePlus 55U1 kind of oozes a premium feeling - not that I have anything against VU as it really looks amazing for the price. My view (excuse the pun) is that I am going to keep it for 6-7 years, so splitting up the price difference per year and its hardly anything. I do want a device that looks good and fits the decor in the room as well.

I also know OnePlus service in Pune is excellent, no idea how good VU is though?

Although would still really appreciate recommendations for 55 inch Android TV's in the sub 50k price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Sir, don't ever do that.

The first thing the set up guy will check is if the box seals are intact. Only then will he proceed with the unboxing.

The store I buy all my TVs from keep repeating (I guess they have had to firefight this issue with a few customers) this because if the box is open and there is a problem with your tv during set up, he will lift his hands and say you have damaged the unit before hand.
Thanks for this - just trying to avoid any unnecessary interaction with anyone or letting anyone in the house unless absolutely required at this time. Will speak to the installation guy about it when he calls and see what he says.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:57   #9456
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. Will speak to the installation guy about it when he calls and see what he says.
Sir, for me the worst time (pre-Covid) was the time between getting tv delivered & the service guy coming to set her up. Every phone call attended with enthusiasm, multiple calls to the shop to enquire status of the guy, fighting the urge to go on YouTube & learn its set up online & do it myself. Then the fact that I spent upwards of ₹60,000 reminds me that it is not worth being an eager beaver.
Sadly this corona lockdown is not helping with tech visits I’m guessing.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:31   #9457
BHPian

Quote:

Has this been launched? If so is it available in stores or do we need to get one online in Amazon or Flipkart?
Old 7th July 2020, 17:28   #9458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Has this been launched? If so is it available in stores or do we need to get one online in Amazon or Flipkart?
The 55 inch is not available for sale yet, will be sold only on Amazon shortly. The landing pages are up.
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:03   #9459
BHPian

This might be helpful if anyone is looking for an OLED in Kolkata.
The store is LG Shoppe near Kwality//CAP Camp, Salt Lake (The store name probably is Swar Sangam)
LG B9 65 inch - 199K + 9k cashback on HDFC credit card
LG C9 65 inch - ~215K + 9k cashback on HDFC credit card
These were offered without any negotiation and might be pushed for further discounts.

I enquired about the OLED prices when I had gone to purchase a Microwave Oven last Saturday. I am not related to the brand or the store in any way whatsoever.
Old 13th July 2020, 16:01   #9460
BHPian

Planning to get a 55" Sony Bravia for the living room. We already have a 42" 2014 Bravia with which we've had a good experience, except once, when it unexpectedly conked off but was repaired within warranty. Since then, I generally take the extended warranty. Sony's extended warranty for 2 additional years is presently Rs. 25,000 for 55" TVs.

There is something called OnsiteGo on web which is giving a 4 year extended warranty plan for Rs. 5000 only? Anyone has any experience with them?

Since we will be buying from Reliance Digital, they also have their ResQ. Anyone has any experience with that? Is ResQ any good?

Any suggestions would be welcome
Old 14th July 2020, 15:17   #9461
BHPian

Hi Guys, Is there any known brand dumb TV available on market having 4K resolution? Reason being, i already have apple TV and the smarts of prevailing offerings are not that enticing over Apple TV.
Old 18th July 2020, 13:32   #9462
Senior - BHPian

I have an LG Smart TV with WebOS -https://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-43LJ554T

I am unable to find Sony Liv App in the LG store. Is there a workaround for this?

Also, the TV has pre-installed apps like Zee5, Hotstar etc.

Even with good wifi (40+MBPS), the content takes lots of time to load and in some cases, it just throws 'retry' error on both of ZEE5 and Hotstar.

Any pointers?

Youtube and Amazon Prime work flawlessly though.

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th July 2020 at 13:33.
Old 18th July 2020, 14:41   #9463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any pointers?

Youtube and Amazon Prime work flawlessly though.
Try connecting it with a LAN cable directly.
Old 18th July 2020, 16:06   #9464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hi Guys, Is there any known brand dumb TV available on market having 4K resolution? Reason being, i already have apple TV and the smarts of prevailing offerings are not that enticing over Apple TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I now wish I'd saved money & bought a "dumb" TV as I never use the Sony's smart functions at all.
Let's not take the thread off-topic anymore.
Any inputs on this guys?

Last edited by roamer012 : 18th July 2020 at 16:10.
Old 18th July 2020, 19:27   #9465
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 3 led tubelights in my living room, and there was a huge issue with reflections on the TV. I never bothered with it, and learned to live with the reflection. Completely unrelated, I had wanted to put led lights at the back of my TV, and I bought a set off of Amazon and put them in. After installation, realised that they put out enough light to avoid turning on the rest of the rooms lights. Additionally, may be placebo, but watching seems more comfortable now.

Link to lights: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07PMVVJ18?...p_mob_ap_share
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20200718_191924.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed