Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 22:07   #9496
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Hi everyone, when will Amazon Fire-Stick next be available for the discounted price ?

I wanted to buy the device on the Prime Day sale but missed placing the order.
Old 11th August 2020, 22:22   #9497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just curious, have you guys connected your TV to a sound system through the headphone out jack?
Yes, I have connected my Sony 50 inch led tv to norge audio 2060 amp via 3.5 mm audio out. The amp is powering pair of polk audio tsi 300 floorstanding tower speakers. I am personally quite happy with the output.
Old 11th August 2020, 23:28   #9498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Yes, I have connected my Sony 50 inch led tv to norge audio 2060 amp via 3.5 mm audio out. The amp is powering pair of polk audio tsi 300 floorstanding tower speakers. I am personally quite happy with the output.
Do consider using the optical out from the Tv and an optical to analog converter. Been hearing cases where the internal board of the TVs get damaged when the headphone out is used to power amplifiers.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 00:01   #9499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Hi everyone, when will Amazon Fire-Stick next be available for the discounted price ?

Probably Diwali. I don't expect the fire stick to come at same price until then.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:17   #9500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post

Great price as well including the warranty! How good are these dealer warranties as opposed to the one from Sony? It is about 12.5k for an additional 2 year warranty from Sony for 55 inch 4k TV's. Have just under a year to still buy the extension so thinking about it.
I guess that's standard Croma warranty which comes with complete damage cover, 48 hours resolution commitment, and also pick and drop facility to the nearest Croma station across India. The scheme was retailing around for 7k but the salesperson said if you buy it now, it will be almost half the price. After a lot of negotiations, he came down to 73K but on seeing that he might lose a potential extended warranty sale, the total price came down to 72k which was offered at the last 11th hour of the billing and to which I agreed.
Old 12th August 2020, 10:57   #9501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I bought the mibox after using the fire stick for close to 3-4 years now. The experience is much more fluid and faster on the mibox. Functionality is more or less the same, but I've heard that many apps not available on fire are there on any Android box. However, never faced any issues myself with apps in fire. Cost is 3500 as compared to 6k for the fire stick in similar 4k spec.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 13:21   #9502
BHPian

Quote:
Last years' tracking by me tells, prime day is the lowest prices for Amazon Fire products. They do not go that low in subsequent sale events. The next big sale should be before Dashahara, overlapping BBD of Flipkart.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 14:44   #9503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Congrats. You should write a mail to Amazon citing the difference and ask them to refund the balance. No harm in trying.

I am just opposite. I bought a Sony 55 inch for my bedroom couple of years back and since then I am thinking why didn't I bought 65 inch. I was moving from a 42 inch Samsung Plasma so I thought 55 inch will be fine. The bigger the TV the more you enjoy stuff like sports and movies. Trust me you will appreciate that sooner.
So, i did call Amazon, their contact centre was very patient and helpful in listening to me and promising to escalate this and bring attention to the right people ( what ever that means ). I had to back to the review and edit it and reduced one star and clearly mentioned that this reduction is not on Sony, but for Amazon.

And, i and family are definitely getting used to this. My son and I caught up the Ford Vs Ferrari again on this TV and wow, what a beautiful experience. I am so glad that i chose the Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
@jkrishnakj, Congratulations on your new TV. Wish you an awesome ownership experience.
Just remember to extend your manufacturer's warranty by two years before next August.

I will be going for a new TV - definitely a smart 4K TV. Old one is 55" and I plan to go for the 65". My only problem is that the TV stand is of a limited size.

Could you measure the distance between the TV legs. I am unable to find this information online. I will only go for this if it fits on my existing stand because I am not going to buy a new stand and we do not prefer to wall mount it.

Thanks in advance.
Thank you. I will buy the additional warranty. I think it makes sense and have some peace of mind.

I am late here for your query on the distance, but am hoping you got that input already. I have wall mounted this and am more than happy to give you the stand .
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:13   #9504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Typical buyer remorse, i am thinking if i should have bought a 55" instead.
For now, we are enjoying the Big Screen
Buyer’s remorse is usually the other way round, eh?.

I got a Panasonic 55” GX750 last year, and as soon as the TV was installed, started thinking I should have gotten the 65”.

As far as PQ goes, there’s still none to beat Sony, but the Panny comes a close second, if you can put up with the quirky interface and a remote straight out of the 90’s. Black levels especially, sometimes I feel it’s better than a Sony.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 08:20   #9505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Buyer’s remorse is usually the other way round, eh?.
I got a Panasonic 55” GX750 last year, and as soon as the TV was installed, started thinking I should have gotten the 65”.
Fortunately for me, I have done 90% of my electronics buying from the shop owned by known person since 1996.
When you buy from local shops, they do tend to oblige provided you upscale to a costlier product. And they give better discounts if paid by cash.
Old 15th August 2020, 21:32   #9506
rbp
BHPian

Quote:

Check this 2399

https://www.reliancedigital.in/amazo...te/p/491431229

Last edited by rbp : 15th August 2020 at 21:34.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:02   #9507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Faced this in my 42" Bravia recently. Called a local technician through Urban Clap. He replaced a board and everything cost me Rs.4k. The TV works like a charm now.
Thank you ValarMorghulis. Fixed the TV through Urban Clap. He replaced the board as well and costed me Rs. 3k.

Last edited by prasathlr : 16th August 2020 at 00:03. Reason: Corrected a mistake
prasathlr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 13:43   #9508
Senior - BHPian

I think TCL is going to be big in future. Their Mini LED TVs are getting very good reviews and they are inexpensive compared to Koreans and Japanese.

I was looking at the review on CNEt which shows the lighting/dimming that they achieve through mini LEDs. It almost matches the image being shown and hence they are able to get good sharp images. I am still enjoying my Panasonic plasma for 12 years now and its still great. Not sure if we have to move to OLED or these mini LEDs will be able to match them.

https://www.cnet.com/news/mini-led-g...-tcl-6-series/

Last edited by srishiva : 17th August 2020 at 13:45.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 13:21   #9509
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to purchase a LED TV for my family this year. Looking for advise from fellow members (It's actually be the first decent TV in our family). I did go through this thread a little bit but with the constant updates made to TV's every year wanted to get the latest recommendation.

Before starting off I would like to say I don't really have a TV at home and actually haven't used one since I went to college. All my media is consumed on my mobile phone and laptop. The TV purchase is actually for my dad (who is finally retired) and mom who will be living with me at least until the COVID-19 situation improves.

My requirements are the following:
  1. TV size: 50 inch or thereabouts
  2. Budget: Up to 70k. This can be extended though I am shocked at the prices for some premium offerings.
  3. Full HD will be fine (not really sure how widespread 4K content is in India..again don't watch TV a lot and 1080p is fine on my phone).
  4. Most of the content will be consumed from Netflix/Amazon Prime for me and DTH channel's for my Mom and Dad.
  5. Planning to get a PS5 since I have got back into gaming now and the TV that is ready for this would be great.
  6. Decent sound quality from the TV itself. I am looking more for clear audio rather than thumping bass.
  7. HDR (and all its variations including Dolby Vision) and Dolby Audio since I kind of like great picture quality. I have not gone out for movie from the past few years.
  8. Not sure if I need HDMI 2.1 and VRR. As far as i understand PS5 uses AMD chipset so I would need a Freesync enabled TV.
  9. Low input lag mode. Preferably a model that does this on the fly rather than forcing me to select Game Mode. Not a deal breaker though.
  10. I am not 100% sure but I think a VA panel will be a better fit rather than an IPS one. Our family is a small one and I can get blackout curtains to reduce ambient light in the room.

Are there any TV's in India that can meet most of these requirements if not all? I am not looking for an extreme VFM choice and would rather spend a little bit more for higher quality.

Finally, I am not sure if it's more viable to get a 1080p TV since most of the premium features seem to be only on the 4k ones and then get a gaming monitor for myself. Is this a better option?
Old 18th August 2020, 14:41   #9510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
...My requirements are the following:
  1. TV size: 50 inch or thereabouts
  2. Budget: Up to 70k. This can be extended though I am shocked at the prices for some premium offerings.
  3. Full HD will be fine (not really sure how widespread 4K content is in India..again don't watch TV a lot and 1080p is fine on my phone).
  4. Most of the content will be consumed from Netflix/Amazon Prime for me and DTH channel's for my Mom and Dad.
  5. Planning to get a PS5 since I have got back into gaming now and the TV that is ready for this would be great.
  6. Decent sound quality from the TV itself. I am looking more for clear audio rather than thumping bass.
  7. HDR (and all its variations including Dolby Vision) and Dolby Audio since I kind of like great picture quality. I have not gone out for movie from the past few years
Finally, I am not sure if it's more viable to get a 1080p TV since most of the premium features seem to be only on the 4k ones and then get a gaming monitor for myself. Is this a better option?
I'll take a shot at this. First of all go for established 4K (forget 1080p) brands, they offer unmatched picture quality (PQ) which is the most important aspect, IMO.
Go for the 50" Sony Bravia 49X8000G or 49W8000G. Nothing matches Bravia PQ, everything else is an also ran. They cost around 65k and for the remaining money get an extended warranty.
Prime, Netflix, Hotstar, Jio Cinema etc. look fabulous on 4K (try watching Planet Earth-2 on Prime or MasterChef on Hotstar).
PS5 gaming will be fabulous on Bravia. Halo 5 on my TV is simply wow (played on 42" earlier and now on 55"). Sound is decent, you'll miss the bass and effects when playing FPS or racing games. I'd suggest a sound bar if not a home theater. Bravia supports HDR but do check for all other stuff. Go to a store and check out the PQ using your own trusted clip.

If PQ isn't that big a consideration, go for a TCL 65" 4K TV (<60K). What you lose in PQ will be covered by the bigger screen and you'll have enough money left to get a decent soundbar.
All this is contingent on the media you consume on the TV. If news/ soaps are what dominates your viewing, go for a TCL or Sharp or Panasonic. A 55" TCL comes for <40K. Rest can be used for a separate gaming monitor and a decent headphone.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed