Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 23:46   #10006
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Just bought a Sony X80J 43" for the dining room after reading through a lot of reviews and experiencing them first hand in showrooms. (Configured it as a Table Top)

The contenders were:-

1. Samsung Frame
2. Samsung Serif
3. LG Neo 80
4. Samsung UHD 90,80
5. Sony X74/X75

Positives Observed:-

1. Bluetooth Support for all Bluetooth Devices
2. Google TV instead of Android TV
3. The speakers are 20 Watt and easily give a run for the money in terms of clarity to models with 40 Watts. (Samsung Frame was a disappointment in terms of the sound quality. It was Damn low)
4.eARC port so is future Proof
5. This is an Entry-level model for the Global Sony lineup
6. Picture Quality is as usual top-notch
7. There was an offer going on from sony which got me a No Cost EMI on my AMEX card (Read and got 2 years additional warranty on the Panel as well from Sony)
8. Paid 2.5k less than what was showing online.
9. It can upscale the content to 4k or 2k without losing clarity.

Cons:-
1. From the size perspective I believe 62k is on the higher side for a 43 inch TV.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 21:50   #10007
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Since you have a budget of 1.25L, I really appreciate your stance of not 'settling' for lesser brands. In fact with this type of budget, I'd say that you should go only for Sony. The 2021 X80AJ would be my choice-

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-in...rpt=TELEVISION

However, if you are willing to extend your budget a bit, I'd suggest the X9000H. It has full array local dimming and will give you a 'true' Sony experience. The 80 series while is not as budget oriented as the 70 series, is still a notch below their standard/premium range.

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-Bravia-Ce...rpt=TELEVISION

If you'd like to save more, you can get a Samsung or an LG for 80-90k. You may find LGs and Samsung for 100-110k as well but the benefits will be only incremental over the lesser priced models.
Finally got a chance to have a look at the TVs in person at Croma yesterday. Saw the Sony X80J which cording to the sales person was the most moving TV in 65”. Best price quoted was 1.08L at Croma; I noticed that Amazon has X80AJ for 99k. Does anyone what the difference is between the online sales & offline sales TVs, more specifically the X80J & X80AJ? Supposedly the price drop is only until 18thOct after which price will go up to about 1.15L.

Didn’t venture too much in LG & Samsung in this price range as they looked underwhelming. I made them play a random set top box to channel on all TVs and Sony definitely looked better.

Cheers
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 01:49   #10008
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Does anyone what the difference is between the online sales & offline sales TVs, more specifically the X80J & X80AJ?

Didn’t venture too much in LG & Samsung in this price range as they looked underwhelming. I made them play a random set top box to channel on all TVs and Sony definitely looked better.
2 differences-

1. The AJ variant is an online only option.

2. Motionflow XR rate of the AJ model is 100 compared to the 200 for the J model. The actual/native refresh rate though for both is 50/60HZ. To know more about what the motionflow does, refer to this post on reddit-

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...m_source=share

Also, refer to this video for the comparison(in Hindi)-

Personally speaking, it doesn't make sense to plonk the extra money for the J though technically speaking, the J is the better model.

One thing which you may wanna check is the annual maintenance packages which are offered by the big offline sellers. Don't know if such a thing is available from Croma or for a TV but we got a Daikin AC a few months back from Reliance Digital. We paid a couple of thousand more for it comapred to the online price but we were offered a 5 year maintenance package for the AC(1 plus 4) at half the price quoted online. On the site of Reliance digital, the package was worth 18k but we were offered the same for 9k.

It is good that you are sticking only with Sony.
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:21   #10009
BHPian

Whats the difference betwwn the following Sony models - 43X75 and 43X80J.
Can somoeone guide me on a couple of pros and cons
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:40   #10010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Positives Observed:-
2. Google TV instead of Android TV
Noob query - Whats the difference between the 2 and how is Google TV better than Android TV?
Old 22nd October 2021, 22:03   #10011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
What's the difference between the following Sony models - 43X75 and 43X80J.
Can someone guide me on a couple of pros and cons
I was in the same dilemma till last week but then finally went with the X80J. I compared both and as a layman below was the observation which made me spend 10k more for the x80j than the x75:-

1. Picture quality in 80J specifically the brightness and the details were clearly a tad better than X75(Note both the models were placed right on top of each other so the comparison was easy and fair). This difference is mainly because of the processor tuning both have in them.

2. E-ARC port on the 80J makes it a little future proof although not a deciding factor.

3. The biggest difference I found was the sound quality. X75 has a louder sound but 80J has a richer and immersive sound.

4. X75 has Android TV whereas 80J has Google TV. I have no idea which one is better but assuming Google TV is a newer version it should be better. Also, I believe X75 does not support Bluetooth connectivity with headphones and all as far as I remember but X80J does.

5.X80 J supports Dolby ATMOS, Dolby Vision which now I realise is damn good because OTT content especially on Netflix is Dolby ATMOS supported and even without any soundbar and all this model produces an amazing sound experience. X75 I guess supports only one of the Dolby features(Don't remember which one)

6. X80J is the base model in the international lineup for Sony whereas X75 is an India specific model I suppose.

7. X75 was 10k cheaper than X80J which could be a deal-breaker for many like me but then it was more of a heart vs brain decision despite being 43 inches.

I have been watching the Formula1 Netflix series and I am loving every bit of it.

I would suggest having a look at both the models preferably on the same wall to actually realize the difference and make an informed decision.

Last edited by Artyom : 22nd October 2021 at 22:11.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 22:06   #10012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Noob query - What the difference between the 2 and how is Google TV better than Android TV?
Frankly speaking, I have no idea because my old TV is a Samsung LCD which is like 10 years old but as a layman, I think Google TV is like a stock android look and feel as compared to Android TV which is an older technology or version.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:36   #10013
BHPian

So, recently we moved to our new apartment which took a very long time to complete and interiors to get ready. I took this elongated time to plan for a home theatre speaker setup wiring to be done, along with a nice and functional TV unit designed in the living room. I was and am still planning to put up a 50" or a 43" 4K TV in the living room on the TV wall unit that has been specifically designed keeping this in mind. So our old 32" 1080P Panasonic IPS LCD TV was lying unused in a box for the last 3 years, I had planned to exchange this one to a large 4K TV. Now that we have moved in, various expenses keep biting up my wallet every week, keeping me off the TV stores forever.
Finally I decided to install the old Panasonic LCD in my bedroom till the time I buy the large one for the drawing room. But that one being a dumb TV, I decided to get the Amazon Fire Stick on it. And Voila! I was blown away by the experience I am getting out of my 14 year old LCD.
Now I am having various questions going around my head whether to still go for a swanky new 4K smart TV or find a good condition old large screen LCD full HD and plug it up with Amazon fire stick and put up in the drawing, I am sure it will save me at least 25-30k. Any inputs from fellow BHP-ians?
Old 28th October 2021, 16:59   #10014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Any inputs from fellow BHP-ians?
I use a Fire Stick on an old Samsung and also use a Samsung Smart TV.
The Fire Stick experience is better of the two IMO.

- The Fire Stick remote is simpler and easier to use while the Smart TV remote has many buttons which are closely spaced and results in some unintended actions.

- The Fire TV interface is much better than Samsung's whether its the layout or availability of apps on the store.

- With a Firestick your experience can go with you to another smart/simple TV, just unplug and carry.

- One limitation with the Fire Stick is that you'll have to change the source from TV if you're using both while in Samsung smart the TV plays by default and the smart menu is just a button press away without impacting the transmission.

- Another limitation is that its remote is ridiculously expensive but mine has been working well since 2-3 years. But this is a rare case and better to buy the Firestick at an offer.

- Remember that the Firestick Lite which comes cheaper doesn't have TV integration IIRC. So check for the mute/sound buttons on the remote if you're buying that.

Also I haven't used any Android smart TV so cannot comment on that but assuming the best availability of apps so check them out.

Except the mobility part, if you have a well functioning non-smart TV, use a Fire Stick but if you want a new 4K smart TV then don't get the Fire Stick. It is good but doesn't do anything that the smart TV can't.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 20:32   #10015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Now I am having various questions going around my head whether to still go for a swanky new 4K smart TV or find a good condition old large screen LCD full HD and plug it up with Amazon fire stick and put up in the drawing, I am sure it will save me at least 25-30k. Any inputs from fellow BHP-ians?
It all depends on the picture quality that you are expecting. Newer TVs don’t only come with smart features, but the display is significantly better as well. If you are fine with the experience of an old tv, only then having a fire stick makes sense.

The main decision point here is 4K vs LCD display quality. Smart features on a tv do not matter as you have already realised after using FireStick.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 12:16   #10016
Senior - BHPian

I use a firestick (as well as apple TV) on our old 47" LG which is nearly 10 years old. It works perfectly.

On the other hand the new 55" LG 4K has most of the apps built in so only one remote is needed.

Even though 4K content is scarce, it will pick up slowly. Also the price difference between HD and 4K is not much (I guess that they price it for size and not density!!), so get 4K TV.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 11:53   #10017
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for 50" TV to replace my 7 years old Samsung 40" Led which has developed some dark patches. I am comfortable with Samsung for the feautres and connectivity it offers. I know Sony is better in terms of picture and sound quality but I am bit skeptical about service and connectivity (screen mirror to my Samsung mobile, format supported for external videos via USB etc.) Howere OK to explore Sony as well if these things are not an issue. One feature I am looking for is Bluetooth connectivity to sound bar, Bluetooth speaker/headphones etc.

Would appreciate suggestions
Old 31st October 2021, 12:01   #10018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
.. but I am bit skeptical about service and connectivity (screen mirror to my Samsung mobile, format supported for external videos via USB etc.) Howere OK to explore Sony as well if these things are not an issue. One feature I am looking for is Bluetooth connectivity to sound bar, Bluetooth speaker/headphones etc.
Check the posts by @warrioraks and myself, from about a month back when we were both searching for TV's.

1. Sony's lower models do not have Bluetooth.
2. Regarding Samsung - check if screen mirroring is only with Samsung phones.

We got an LG 43UM7790, and this looks to allow screen mirror independent of brands. Bluetooth has a range of at least 35 ft straight line. You could also check the points I had made on the reasons that made me look past Samsung's.
Old 31st October 2021, 13:35   #10019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am looking for 50" TV to replace my 7 years old Samsung 40" Led which has developed some dark patches. I am comfortable with Samsung for the feautres and connectivity it offers. I know Sony is better in terms of picture and sound quality but I am bit skeptical about service and connectivity (screen mirror to my Samsung mobile, format supported for external videos via USB etc.) Howere OK to explore Sony as well if these things are not an issue. One feature I am looking for is Bluetooth connectivity to sound bar, Bluetooth speaker/headphones etc.

Would appreciate suggestions
You can't go wrong within LG, Samsung, Sony. Sony of course trumps in PQ however they are also most expensive of the lot. If budget isn't a constraint I will always recommend Sony. LG is second in PQ and features. Samsung has fallen behind both and comes at 3rd now.

Also, I will highly recommend 55' rather than 50. Price difference between both isn't too much but viewing pleasure is a lot more on a 55' TV.
Old 31st October 2021, 18:17   #10020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
You can't go wrong within LG, Samsung, Sony. Sony of course trumps in PQ however they are also most expensive of the lot. If budget isn't a constraint I will always recommend Sony. LG is second in PQ and features. Samsung has fallen behind both and comes at 3rd now.

Also, I will highly recommend 55' rather than 50. Price difference between both isn't too much but viewing pleasure is a lot more on a 55' TV.
I currently have 40" TV which suits my room size and 55" would be over kill and might give me headache. So sticking with max 50" I came across Samsung QLED 50" which is costing around 70k with all cashback plus store offer. Any idea how is QLED and is it worth extra 15k over UHD?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks