Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:09   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I got a new Sony V300 40 inch LCD and very disappointed watching TV. I am using Hathway STB. Resolution is not up to the mark. My 20 inch CRT TV was much much better.

Can anyone suggest what can I do to improve?
I've been researching LCDs for a while now - essentially this is because of the 4:3 to 16:9 scaling. The larger the screen, the more apparent the "lossiness" of this. In my search for a decent TV, I have realized that anything closer than 10 feet from a 37-42" 16:9 TV seems worse than a regular CRT. The same set feels fine if you go back to, say, 15 feet. So one solution could be to ensure thats the minimum distance you're maintaining.

Alternatively, if you've bought from a store where they do have a no-questions-asked return policy (some are beginning to) - downsize to 32" or at least 37". Buy something else if they're not willing to return cash.

Finally, some channels (Cartoon Network! - I have 2 kids glued to suchlike) do appear better on these screens than the others - maybe change your viewing habits a bit

Seriously - distance, some playing around with the settings should get you to a better place. In any case, good DVDs will feel much better on this TV, so maybe you'll start watching more movies and less TV.

[btw, glad to see a candid opinion /feedback post purchase. The usual instinct is to go along with your decision and try and justify it.]

Last edited by zenx : 3rd October 2007 at 23:11.
Old 4th October 2007, 10:48   #362
BHPian

correct thats because the picture coming in from your hathway is not at a resolution high enough. When you view the tv from too close, you will see the lack of detail. I use tatasky with sony 42" and I have no problems from a viewing distance of 9 feet. Infact its pretty nice upclose too

Maybe tatasky feed is better than hathway. Can someone shed light on the resolutions part - i was told by dealer tatasky/dishtv give out 720i which is much better than sd (480i) sent by cable wala.

Also channels like discovery and nat geo are much better on tata sky, than cable.

Cheers,
j
Old 4th October 2007, 11:14   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a new Sony V300 40 inch LCD and very disappointed watching TV. I am using Hathway STB. Resolution is not up to the mark. My 20 inch CRT TV was much much better.

What about DVDs?

What are the prices of LCDs like nowdays?
Old 4th October 2007, 11:31   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
What about DVDs?

What are the prices of LCDs like nowdays?
I have not tried DVD yet. Will try it today. I got a very good deal for 75k but this was one off...
Old 4th October 2007, 11:33   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Alternatively, if you've bought from a store where they do have a no-questions-asked return policy (some are beginning to) - downsize to 32" or at least 37". Buy something else if they're not willing to return cash.

Always wanted to upsize the TV so....
Old 4th October 2007, 11:50   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
correct thats because the picture coming in from your hathway is not at a resolution high enough. When you view the tv from too close, you will see the lack of detail. I use tatasky with sony 42" and I have no problems from a viewing distance of 9 feet. Infact its pretty nice upclose too

Maybe tatasky feed is better than hathway. Can someone shed light on the resolutions part - i was told by dealer tatasky/dishtv give out 720i which is much better than sd (480i) sent by cable wala.

Also channels like discovery and nat geo are much better on tata sky, than cable.

Cheers,
j
There are no HD feeds in India right now. Digital feeds are being tranmitted a little better (both TataSky and the Hathway STB are comparable) but even the programming is not shot in 4:3. HD feeds are a very tiny market worldwide.

At a decent distance, the digital feeds do seem ok.

Last edited by zenx : 4th October 2007 at 12:04. Reason: "not shot", not "shot"
Old 4th October 2007, 11:59   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
There are no HD feeds in India right now. Digital feeds are being tranmitted a little better (both TataSky and the Hathway STB are comparable) but even the programming is shot in 4:3. HD feeds are a very tiny market worldwide.

At a decent distance, the digital feeds do seem ok.
I think TATA Sky has a 16:9 option though Im not sure if its just a conversion or actual 16:9.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:00   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not tried DVD yet. Will try it today. I got a very good deal for 75k but this was one off...
That is a good deal.

Was it a grey piece or with warranty?
Old 4th October 2007, 12:25   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on the buy. How much did this model cost you and from where you purchased? I am planning on Samsung R81 either during Dussera or Diwali when offers will be raining at its best
Old 4th October 2007, 13:44   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Samsung R81 either during Dussera or Diwali when offers will be raining at its best
i guess its started raining....samsung has this offer
SAMSUNG's Digital World

i'm planning to buy the 32R8 or 32S8....my viewing distance is between 7 to 10 feets (depending on the rooms furniture placement)...guys is the above size ideal for my room? pls suggest

also any opinions on whether to buy 32R8 or 32S8?
Old 4th October 2007, 13:57   #371
BHPian

After much research i settled for a 29" CRT HD ready tv from Philips for 21K. I'm happy i got this. Its big enough and provides 480p through 1080p and its CRT!!!! It is actually better than LCDs of similar size.

Its bulky and 40kilos though
Old 4th October 2007, 14:03   #372
Senior - BHPian

The 32R8 seems better to me.

I would have suggested a 1920x1080 resolution tv, but since it's just a 32" screen, you really won't feel the diff between 720p and 1080p videos.

Shan2nu
Old 4th October 2007, 14:07   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post
i guess its started raining....samsung has this offer
SAMSUNG's Digital World

i'm planning to buy the 32R8 or 32S8....my viewing distance is between 7 to 10 feets (depending on the rooms furniture placement)...guys is the above size ideal for my room? pls suggest

also any opinions on whether to buy 32R8 or 32S8?
That offer is hogwash, website pricing is always way too expensive than what they quote you upfront. I got a best offer for 40inch R81 for 85K a month ago in a consumer exhibition and now website quotes 89K for the same stuff . Also, i noticed that these dealers usually come down to an extent of 6-10K from their initial price quote

A friend of mine who works for samsung intends to get me one with 20% off ( 30% of for older models) so the price i am looking at for a 40inch to be around 72K-75K tops after all "special" discounts

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th October 2007 at 14:08.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:15   #374
BHPian

Quote:
That offer is hogwash, website pricing is always way too expensive than what they quote you upfront.
yeah, i have also observed that..

Quote:
Also, i noticed that these dealers usually come down to an extent of 6-10K from their initial price quote
Is that true? do they come down by such huge margins?

Quote:
A friend of mine who works for samsung intends to get me one with 20% off ( 30% of for older models) so the price i am looking at for a 40inch to be around 72K-75K tops after all "special" discounts
hey ask him whether he can pass this offer to me to yaar...
Old 4th October 2007, 14:19   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy i got this. Its big enough and provides 480p through 1080p and its CRT!!!! It is actually better than LCDs of similar size.
True, but the prob here is that a 29" CRT has a 4:3 ratio screen which means that even if you have a 1920x1080 (1080p) video playing on your screen, your tv is only using a small portion of the 1080 lines, the remaining lines are blacked out at the top and bottom of the video, so....what you see isn't exactly a 1080p output.

To make full use of a 1080p video, you need to have the exact screen resolution, which is why they have "Full HD" tvs in the market.

We've got a 46" Full HD, 29" HD Ready and a 21" SDTV at home and trust me, when you've got the right video quality, nothing beats a Full HD tv.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed