Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 15:15   #826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I don't claim to have read all the pages in this discussion, but in the last few pages, I am surprised to see that LG is not even considered as a contender. Why is that?
Maybe because its cheap?
I got a LG 32" and am perfectly happy with it.
I watch 720p videos from my laptop on the LG, and also DVDs, and I like lot of car shows.
Sometimes I play rise of nations on the TV instead of the tiny 15" monitor.
For somebody looking at VFM LG makes good sense.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:23   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Maybe because its cheap?
Last week I checked at reliance digital, and, LG appeared almost as cheap (or expensive) as others. For example, 32LC7 from LG was 45K while Sharp BX5 was 42K, some philips models were even cheaper.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:27   #828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Last week I checked at reliance digital, and, LG appeared almost as cheap (or expensive) as others. For example, 32LC7 from LG was 45K while Sharp BX5 was 42K, some philips models were even cheaper.
The best deals are to be found at smaller multi brand shops. They are also not averse to switching of all the lights in the room so you can demo LCD tvs properly(In bright stores all TVs will look same)

Many times older models(1 generation back) are much cheaper.
For example when Panasonic announced the new range, all the multi brand stores offered a free xbox on the 45K price.
Ditto with Sony. The price offered was dropped by 5K.
Out of the latest series, at that time LG was cheapest(I got LC7R).

My chief criteria was the response time of LG.
contrast ratio etc., don't really matter much in real world. but if a LCD TV has slow response time, pan shots of cars will give you headache.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:32   #829
Senior - BHPian

Plasma is definately an old but proven technology... tere are few advantages over LCD as of today if you really want the quality...
I considered an intermediate way to get the decent PQ at affordable price - I got the 3LCD RPTV and it performs well. I guess Plasma is still better with low respose time, contrast ratio and some other advantages; though I found RPTV is performing very well with the TataSky and also while I'm playing with my Xbox 360.
Initially, you have to go from the standard PQ settings and then keep tuning it for sometime based on the content you wath.. over a period of time and tunning, I see a lot of difference between the Standard PQ, Vivid PQ (normally used in showrooms) and my own custom settings....
amazing clarity and details can be achieved at good VFM. If features, PQ and Price are considered, I would definately choose RPTV > Plasma > LCD in that order today..

Last edited by Ketan : 12th February 2008 at 15:35.
Old 12th February 2008, 16:05   #830
Senior - BHPian

Crutchfield says: Buy Plasma if, "You don't watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with static images on the screen for more than a few hours at a time."

This burn factor. When does it come into play, say with respect to the scenarios below. Which is more harmful ?

Play a Video game with a static image as a .. umm .. 'health counter' for
1. 5 hours at a stretch
2. 15 hrs but with 5 minute breaks every hour, during which the panel is switched off.
Old 12th February 2008, 20:05   #831
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting links:
Techspedia Introduction To Plasma & LCD TVs

This one is from Panasonic, so take it with pinch of salt...
The New York Times > Business > Image >
Old 13th February 2008, 07:31   #832
BHPian

how many of us would actually change TV's every few years. The general tendency for people to change tv's was when picture quality goes down after years of usage. Lets say 10 years usage with 4 hrs daily (10 * 365 * 4 = 14600). Total usage is 14600 hours.

I would look at the following before i purchase plasma/LCD (In no particular order)

1. Picture quality. Sources could be gaming console, pc/laptop, digi cams(both video and still), camcorders. Belive in your eye. Reviews are secondary.y

2. Service. My dad's old philips has lousy service network. I dont want to have a good tv with a non-functional service/support.

3. Space availability at home and where you are going to place it.

4. Connectivity Option.

Lets face it.. Audio is lousy in both LCD and Plasma when you compare old CRT (with or without boombox behind them). So you might be better of getting 2 small speakers to be placed next to the lcd/plasma...
Old 13th February 2008, 10:42   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang
1. Picture quality. Sources could be gaming console, pc/laptop, digi cams(both video and still), camcorders. Belive in your eye. Reviews are secondary.
There are 2 catches here:
1. It's easy to trick the eye by changing environment, the settings and the input signal quality (to make a particular brand with high margin look better)

2. To an untrained eye (or eye without detail), you may miss out on lot of picture issues initially. Heard of people buying expensive TVs with great image in showroom, and then complaining of headache while watching cricket match, etc...

Reviews are helpful in highlighting these nuances (but may themselves be biased). So best approach is to take them with a pinch of salt, become aware of the pros and cons and finally validate them yourself to see how much it matters to you.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:49   #834
BHPian

Is 37 inch LCD is better buy than 40 inch

Hi all ,

The size difference between the 37 inch and 40 inch tv is very small i.e 3 inch , but the price difference is pretty huge ~20 - 25 k.

So buying 37 inch than a 40 inch isn't a good option?

I also noticed that there is only one model in 37 inch from sony and samsung both , but they do have 6+ models in 40 inch , 32 inch.

Any idea about this?
Old 13th February 2008, 12:25   #835
BHPian

Lcd Tv

Hi hrishig,

Besides your budget, a very important factor is the viewing distance you have in your room.

Measure the distance from the TV screen to the Sofa and ensure
your screen size does not exceed the max suggested size

Check this tool to calculate the screen size
LCD TV Suggested Viewing Distance Calculator at DTV City

Don't let the price variation between 37 and 40" bother you too much,
I guess its like the price difference between a hatchback and a Sedan
both can seat 5 people, but the price difference may not be proportional
to the benefits the better model offers.

-Fillmore
Old 13th February 2008, 15:18   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Crutchfield says: Buy Plasma if, "You don't watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with static images on the screen for more than a few hours at a time."
Hmm.. I shoud have gone for a Hitachi Plasma in that case. I am a remote addict. Can't tolerate any channel for more than 5 minutes! No question of burn-in happening ever on my TV.
Old 13th February 2008, 17:18   #837
BANNED

Guys, any opinions on Onida LCD's?
Old 15th February 2008, 00:11   #838
BANNED

i heard Onida has JVC inside?
What is a scorpio grade LCD Panel?
Old 15th February 2008, 10:13   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Marketing spin

However i did read a review on the onida LCDs in one of the magazines, and they had some fairly nice things to say about it.
Old 15th February 2008, 10:39   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
i heard Onida has JVC inside?
I think it will be a Samsung panel inside.

Most Viewed