Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do we really require a virtual assistant in India considering our existing "lazy quotient"
Yes, it would help local businesses and me; saves time! 61 46.21%
Nope, i prefer stepping out and exploring! 71 53.79%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 11:28   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Google’s AI-powered Voice Assistant

Google removed "Don't be Evil" from their code of conduct, just before introducing the revolutionary AI products. It is for us to put the 2 and 2 together.

https://gizmodo.com/google-removes-n...rom-1826153393
Old 21st May 2018, 15:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I also have a feeling that my phone is listening in on me all the time, like a quiet recorder. There are so many instances when I'll be discussing something at home and the next time I open Google or Facebook, I see ads on the same topic I was discussing. This is creepy!
I thought I was the only one . I talk of stuff to my wife, kids and colleagues and the ad pops up sooner than later!

My phone is definitely listening to me. When I told my wife she pulled my leg saying I was watching too many dystopian future Sci-fi movies.
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
There are so many instances when I'll be discussing something at home and the next time I open Google or Facebook, I see ads on the same topic I was discussing. This is creepy!

Also, not so cool of Google to shove an app without the
owner's permission; goes on to show how low they can stoop to use your information. Pathetic Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I thought I was the only one . I talk of stuff to my wife, kids and colleagues and the ad pops up sooner than later!

My phone is definitely listening to me. When I told my wife she pulled my leg saying I was watching too many dystopian future Sci-fi movies.

You can disable the passive listening feature by logging to http://history.google.com/
Look for "Voice and audio activity" under "activity controls" and pause it

You may want to repeat this activity if you own multiple accounts.

Last edited by T1000 : 22nd May 2018 at 17:07.
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
You can disable the passive listening feature by logging to http://history.google.com/

This setting is only for controlling voice based controls. Like saying "ok google" or while recording/searching/messaging someone by using the microphone icon on various apps.

They say this feature helps the system understand your pronunciation and improving voice recognition across products by understanding your speech. Deactivation will merely result in your data not being stored and processed.

However, there's no relation between this feature and the phone listening in passively to your conversations even when locked, (if such a thing is possible that is).
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for that! I thought I was the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post

Thank you T1000! So Google has been listening in after all! I'll do that right away.
Old 22nd May 2018, 22:15   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
This setting is only for controlling voice based controls. Like saying "ok google" or while recording/searching/messaging someone by using the microphone icon on various apps.

They say this feature helps the system understand your pronunciation and improving voice recognition across products by understanding your speech. Deactivation will merely result in your data not being stored and processed.

However, there's no relation between this feature and the phone listening in passively to your conversations even when locked, (if such a thing is possible that is).
You may be right. I read somewhere that Google interprets just a "Ok" to activate recording.
Voice search may not be always listening but you never know which app is listening.
it's safe to turn this setting off.

Quote:

Thank you T1000! So Google has been listening in after all! I'll do that right away.
There are options to turn off and delete location tracking, YouTube history , search history,voice history Etc.

Anyone having access to your system can easily go-to history.google.com and check where you were on 3rd March 2016.
Most of us save the account password in the browser

https://takeout.google.com/ let's you download all types of data that Google has about a user.
It may take 2-3 days to download

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd May 2018 at 15:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 12th June 2018, 08:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
if humankinds energies were directed to some more fundamental problems that have persisted for the last 2 generations - good universal primary schooling; eradication of malaria and tuberculosis; flexi-time for mothers

Example of this hit news recently. Realistic text to voice can now restore voice to a patient who lost ability to speak.

http://jamiedupree.blog.ajc.com/2018...ie-dupree-2-0/
Quote:
What they found was a Scottish company named CereProc, which agreed to sift through years of my archived audio, and build a voice – which, when paired with a text-to-speech application – would sound like me, and hopefully get me back on the radio.
This enables him to keep working as new reporter.
Old 10th September 2018, 16:41   #53

Quote:

I was wondering if there was a thread on this subject and just searched my phone is listening to me and stumbled upon this.

I noticed the same thing a few days back. Brands or products that I would talk about to my family or friends, google would display ads related to these. I know they are doing it since years on computers, however, had no clue they now listen to us using our phones, too.

Privacy is a myth!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks