Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2018, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket

Having a OnePlus 5, it's a pretty good phone.

Now, coming to why people queue outside, it's the same reason why people queue outside apple stores. Now, OnePlus is no apple, and yet, it has built a great reputation for itself. I think it's because it's such a value for money.

Secondly, the marketing of the phone has always been very different. OnePlus always talks about why they do things than what they sell - as Simon Sinek says great companies talk about why they do what they do than just sell a product. It seems like OnePlus' campaigns have hit a chord with the Indians and so people really feel it is a premium phone and yet it's price is not as premium as the iPhones and S9's and Pixels.

Talking more broadly, Asian companies are becoming global. OnePlus is just one of them.
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:46   #17

I think I may have an answer for the question most of us have here - Why the queues?

The answer might not be what you expect but I think it is - for kicks.

Yes, kicks is what drives/motivates a lot of humans. I am sure if anyone does a survey of the demographic of these queues, they will find that majority fall in "18-28, male" category and the few females would also fall in the same age group for sure.

They have the money and desire to buy the phone just like people here who did but whats the 'fun' in that? When you go to these pop-up stores (makes them special in itself), wait in queues with fellow fans/like-minded people (almost cult status), get free goodies (t-shirts, drinks, ice-creams, etc) and get to click selfies with celebs (dare I say, Lau and Pei, among them) its an EVENT. For this age group, who wants to live life to the fullest, every day has to be an event to remember and celebrate.
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:04   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Those who have black money in CASH will also buy them via store, then online.
Old 23rd May 2018, 19:37   #19
BHPian

I'm really surprised reading this ! I was casually browsing the internet yesterday morning in bed and went to Amazon, saw an ad banner for the OnePlus 6, clicked and bought it. I bought it at 9am and it was delivered home at 8pm the same day - very impressive, maybe it was a prime benefit. I'm using it as a second phone for my newly acquired Jio connection

If I has any idea about this hype and excitement I would have shouted from the rooftops !!

So far very pleased with the experience. My biases have prevented me from experimenting with Android for years. I dont see myself switching my primary phone to Android but I will say that I was very very impressed.

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-7de85c6ee8d5446d8dfd4f33e9557c96.jpeg

OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket-7a65539e4ab04a38bd426e4ad3d9aeeb.jpeg

Last edited by reihem : 23rd May 2018 at 19:42.
Old 23rd May 2018, 21:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
I think I may have an answer for the question most of us have here - Why the queues?
I think I mentioned the reasons for the queue - the exclusivity factor and the time on hands. Even though the kick is present for a few hours (since the world can buy the phone soon anyway), it is almost like some drug-addiction to a few individuals.

And you're wrong about the demographics buddy, 18-28, male AND FEMALE. Maybe people just might have brought their fiancees, but I saw both in equal numbers. No judgements here though. It is their (or their support system's) money to spend. It's only fair that they spend it on superlative electronics.

The point I want to make here is that some people are addicted to gambling; the queuing-up-for-new-phone represents a somewhat similar urge. To satiate the inner-cravings of the mind and to procure it as soon as possible (Maybe Instagram/Snapchat the photos later?). And the companies know it damn well!

Last edited by ampere : 23rd May 2018 at 21:59.
Old 24th May 2018, 00:22   #21
BHPian

Man, it's a shame that oneplus is launching devices so fast and following this 6 months circle. It's just been a year when i bought a oneplus 5 and less than 6 months in, they launched 5T. And now this. I feel so outdated already.
Anyway, enough with the cribbing. How is the performance different from oneplus 5? Is it a worthy update or should i wait for another generation to launch?
Cheers.
Old 24th May 2018, 00:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
Anyway, enough with the cribbing. How is the performance different from oneplus 5? Is it a worthy update or should i wait for another generation to launch?
Cheers.
Hi. Full review incoming soon, but let me tell you Snapdragon 845 is noticeably faster than 835. Not just that, the sum of small things matters too. Better battery efficiency, ability to encode video with much higher frame rate (slow-mo), Dual-VoLTE standby, faster and more efficient DSP, better image processing and so on. I did not anticipate that.

The thing with modern phones is: Snapdragon XXX is a complete chipset. While some parts may be sourced from different manufacturers (like the flash storage), it is essentially, a SoC (system on a chip) and includes the DSP, radios and some other optional components. The actual board design is made by manufacturer R&D in spec with their product body. 2 years ago, the SoC was a full-board that covered almost entire length and breadth of the phone. Nowadays, the SoC is 1/3 the entire length. The smaller the IC = quicker the electrons can whiz through the logic gates and hence, better things you can do while drawing same amount of power.

Here is an image of a SD 835 motherboard design, notice the red portion indicates the position of the main board which contains the processor, ancillaries, the RAM, storage and almost every other thing that I might be missing. The speakers, RF antennas, mics, cameras and the battery take up the rest of the space inside the phone and are connected to the main board through flex-cables and wires.

Last edited by typlo : 24th May 2018 at 01:16. Reason: Fixed Image
Old 24th May 2018, 01:35   #23
BHPian

Got my midnight black OP6 today. Incredible phone, such a beauty. Camera it outstanding, OIS is so very delightful.

I have disabled the on screen buttons and instead using the gestures. I was patiently waiting for a phone with high screen to body ratio and a good camera. I would say the patience has paid off. Only thing I wish it also had, would be an IR blaster.
Old 24th May 2018, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
Man, it's a shame that oneplus is launching devices so fast and following this 6 months circle. It's just been a year when i bought a oneplus 5 and less than 6 months in, they launched 5T. And now this. I feel so outdated already.

Exactly. Android smartphones have a shelf life of 4 years in general, max 5 years. Even phone makers that support the Android One program (i.e Nokia) that guarantees 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security patches will feel outdated by the 4th year. And given the need for security (and being à la mode), people wouldn't want to own an outdated device. A 35,000 INR (not considering resale value) phone would mean spending roughly 8,750 INR per year (if discarded in the 4th year). That's quite a lot of money to spend every year.

P.S: People spend 1 Lakh on a phone through EMIs, so I guess 35,000 INR is fine
Old 24th May 2018, 13:21   #25
BHPian

I ordered my OnePlus 6 on 21st on Amazon early access sale for prime members.

Even though i had fast AF code with me, i had completely forgotten about that when ordering the phone. I got to know about the referral program only 5 mins before the sales so missed out on that as well

The phone was delivered by 12 PM on 22nd and its a beauty. Almost all my friends use OnePlus and i was the one not moving to the bandwagon.

Finally i can say the decision was worth it. the phone is super smooth, awesome looking with good battery life.
Old 24th May 2018, 15:12   #26
BHPian

Whoa, that a lot of trouble for a phone.

I had an amazon prime membership and had ordered around 1pm on the 21st. The phone was promptly delivered around 3pm the next day.

Did not know there was so much hype about the whole affair.
Old 24th May 2018, 15:23   #27

This is by far better than any unboxing video on Youtube. I personally haven't owned a non-Apple/Samsung/Nokia phone for some time now. However, with every increment OnePlus is looking more tempting. Hope SAM has a great ownership experience!

Last edited by nav2111 : 24th May 2018 at 15:28. Reason: Grammatical error.
Old 24th May 2018, 17:19   #28
BHPian

I have never seen this much hysteria for a OnePlus phone. My father in-laws phone display conced off few days back.

My sister-in-law asked me to book OP 6 30 mins before the prime preview at 11.35 AM on 21st.

I booked it at 12:05 and next morning, 9 AM, the phone was here. I still can't get over the notch

Though have to say the phone feel butter smooth compared to my 3T. Anyway, i am not gonna change till 6T or perhaps 7T
Old 24th May 2018, 18:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I still can't get over the notch
You can turn it off in the settings.
Old 24th May 2018, 19:02   #30
BHPian

Can I request oneplus 6 owners here to take some low light pictures and post a few samples? It would be awesome if you could share the RAW file with me. I currently use Oneplus 2 and am itching to upgrade for better camera. However, as oneplus is not known for their low light capabilities, hence this request.

Most Viewed