Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2018, 19:58   #31
BHPian

Re: OnePlus 6 Launch Day purchase experience at DLF Place, Saket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Can I request oneplus 6 owners here to take some low light pictures and post a few samples? It would be awesome if you could share the RAW file with me. I currently use Oneplus 2 and am itching to upgrade for better camera. However, as oneplus is not known for their low light capabilities, hence this request.
I can post the pictures later but I can tell you it doesn't beat the premium flagships - Galaxy S8/ 9, Pixel 2/ 2 XL. In fact, it is only slightly better than 5T.

Having said that, the camera is good for the price you pay. In good light, it sings and is only a spitting distance away from Pixel 2.
Old 25th May 2018, 03:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theapollohelios View Post
Exactly. Android smartphones have a shelf life of 4 years in general, max 5 years.
Wow. I can't imagine a phone running longer than 2 years from the date of launch. The technology is progressing pretty fast. Besides that, the battery seems to go out first and the second reason for this 2-3 year cycle is the lack of system updates. I like how Google will support the Pixel 2s for 3 years. This, combined with a bigger battery may make a phone last 3 years tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav2111 View Post
However, with every increment OnePlus is looking more tempting. Hope SAM has a great ownership experience!
I prefer to call OnePlus the new Nexus. But they're cutting it real close. I guess 40K price will be the cutoff point for me. At that price, I will be seriously considering waiting 5-8 months after the launch of a flagship from Google/Samsung till the price drops down to 40s instead of purchasing an OP outright. OP just can't beat the consistency of photos from a Pixel. But OnePlus has its own advantages like excellent post-sales support and the best performance.

Quote:
I currently use Oneplus 2 and am itching to upgrade for a better camera. However, as oneplus is not known for their low light capabilities, hence this request.
I'll try to post some camera samples. But from what I can tell you, the camera on the OP6 gives the behemoths a tough fight in good lighting and falls a little short only in low-light. As it was expected. OIS is a nice touch, but the phone still produces inconsistent and unreal colours in very-low-light. Nothing that would bother you though. I'd say it is a real upgrade in camera department from the 5 and 5T, and lightyears ahead of OP2/OP3. The zoomed-in detail in low-light shots is poor.
Old 25th May 2018, 06:07   #33
BHPian

With the cost price of the phone, I would still prefer buying 10-30 day old phones from used cell phone shops for 60% the price . The S8 i am using I bought it for 34000 around a month after initial launch and It was in brand new condition. Saved me around 30,000 and made economic sense!
Old 26th May 2018, 08:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
I'll try to post some camera samples. But from what I can tell you, the camera on the OP6 gives the behemoths a tough fight in good lighting and falls a little short only in low-light. As it was expected. OIS is a nice touch, but the phone still produces inconsistent and unreal colours in very-low-light. Nothing that would bother you though. I'd say it is a real upgrade in camera department from the 5 and 5T, and lightyears ahead of OP2/OP3. The zoomed-in detail in low-light shots is poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I can post the pictures later but I can tell you it doesn't beat the premium flagships - Galaxy S8/ 9, Pixel 2/ 2 XL. In fact, it is only slightly better than 5T.

Having said that, the camera is good for the price you pay. In good light, it sings and is only a spitting distance away from Pixel 2.
I do photography seriously and at times its a drag camera the DSLR everywhere. Low light performance is important, though it appears that I would have to make a trade-off: How many times would I shoot in low light to justify the higher price of a pixel2 or a S9+. Alternatively, will have to see what else do these phones offer that can justify the purchase (for e.g. Samsung carries an IP6 rating, whereas OP-6 does not.)

Cheers.
Old 26th May 2018, 12:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I do photography seriously and at times its a drag camera the DSLR everywhere. Low light performance is important, though it appears that I would have to make a trade-off: How many times would I shoot in low light to justify the higher price of a pixel2 or a S9+. Alternatively, will have to see what else do these phones offer that can justify the purchase (for e.g. Samsung carries an IP6 rating, whereas OP-6 does not.)
Get an RX100/ Nex with a prime lens. The phones with finger-nail sized sensors will never match what a crop/ 1" sensor can offer in low light. RX100 is pocketable and much more versatile than even the next few generations of flagship phone cameras.
Old 26th May 2018, 12:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...RX100 is pocketable and much more versatile than even the next few generations of flagship phone cameras.
If you meant the Sony RX 100, +1 from me. We got the Mark II for my dad a couple years ago and I haven't seen a cellphone, any cellphone, that can compete.
Old 26th May 2018, 13:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
The S8 i am using I bought it for 34000 around a month after initial launch and It was in brand new condition. Saved me around 30,000 and made economic sense!
How did you manage such a good deal.

I don't see anyone talking about the 256 GB Avengers Edition phone. I'm not a big fan of the theme (I prefer the gloss black) but I'm planning to buy it just for the larger memory.
Old 26th May 2018, 23:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
How did you manage such a good deal.

I don't see anyone talking about the 256 GB Avengers Edition phone. I'm not a big fan of the theme (I prefer the gloss black) but I'm planning to buy it just for the larger memory.
OLX, You can get some amazing deals cutting off the middleman and rest depends upon the your negotiating skills!
Old 27th May 2018, 00:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Get an RX100/ Nex with a prime lens. The phones with finger-nail sized sensors will never match what a crop/ 1" sensor can offer in low light. RX100 is pocketable and much more versatile than even the next few generations of flagship phone cameras.
Can you please elaborate on this topic?
I am not at all a big fan of DSLR cameras just hate to carry the apparatus but want to click some good quality pics from phone. Is this some kind of lens added in a phone.
BTW which is the best camera phone in day light and night, price no bar.

Last edited by roby_dk : 27th May 2018 at 00:04.
Old 27th May 2018, 09:52   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, just when the Americans were making fun of their fellow people for camping outside Apple stores to get their next product at ridiculous prices, the trend has strengthened in India. Home-grown Chinese phones might've even gone out of business if weren't for Indians, earlier the trend was flash-sales and now queue sales, both aren't easy.

Goes to show the strength of online marketing and the hype of millennial word-of-mouth which in combination with slightly undercut pricing compared with the proven brands, can do wonders for sales.

As usual in my books, massive sales only reflect an average if not even lesser quality, be it cars, phones or anything else. I buy what never sells (the Xperia XZ Premium in my case), it blows the likes of OnePlus out of this cosmos quite easily but it won't sell and that only helps with the exclusivity factor.
Old 27th May 2018, 10:09   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As usual in my books, massive sales only reflect an average if not even lesser quality, be it cars, phones or anything else. I buy what never sells (the Xperia XZ Premium in my case), it blows the likes of OnePlus out of this cosmos quite easily but it won't sell and that only helps with the exclusivity factor.
On what aspects does the Xperia blow away the OP6?

No sarcasm from my end, its a genuine query
Old 27th May 2018, 11:05   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
On what aspects does the Xperia blow away the OP6?

No sarcasm from my end, its a genuine query
Sure, with a Sony its not about spec-sheets, its about user interface and user experience.. only those who use it can feel it. But glancing at the specs the Xperia has :

- A pixel density of 807 ppi (4K) over the OP6's 402 ppi.. granted, the battery consumption is high during 4K beam but there is a visible difference of 4K over 2K or 1080p.

- Dual stereo speakers, I guess the OP6 has a loudspeaker but not stereo speakers. Again may not be important for most people but its the overall refinement stereo speakers add to sound that counts.

- Camera button on the side, this aspect is important for me, to have a camera button exclusively. I can't imagine taking photos using an on-screen button.

- Expandable memory cards (again one can say in-built is the future) but for me personally the memory card slot is important.

- Triluminous + X-Reality engines for the display.. now these may just seem like marketing fluff but in YouTube comparison videos it is proven that these project much more realistic colours and sharpness than competing flagship products (Galaxy for example).

- Sound upscaling software like DSEE-HX that to my ears creates much more crisper, HQ upscaled sound than say listening on a Samsung or my laptop.

- The camera has a slow-motion feature that I find pretty entertaining at times, the OP6 also has it but at 480 frames per second while the Xperia is 960 frames per second which is twice as slow whilst being able to capture all the more details.

- The OP6 Exmor RS sensor is made by Sony.

- The Xperia is water-resistant and rain resistant (upto 5 meters) and I've tested it, as per what I can see in articles, the OP 6 isn't. I've spoken in several heavy showers without a worry.

- USB 3.1 enabled on the Xperia (faster transfer) vs 2.0 in OP 6.

Granted that these are not massive differences noticeable for people who just glance the phone on a day-to-day basis but we're talking an almost 1 year old Sony that is still hanging level with if not beating the flagships of today. To me as a user, all the above features or enhancements do make a big difference on a day to day basis. I've even dropped the phone accidentally about 4 times on the floor without any cover or plastic, it has no damage. It is built to be a fantastic companion. The OP6 is good value for the price but I dont think any home-grown Chinese manufacturers can ever become like the former electronics giants. And yes, the Xperia is manufactured there as well.

Processor speed may be slightly higher in the OP6, but only a test will prove that, but in the OP5T VS XZP test with similar 835 processor and with the OP5 having 8 GB RAM, the Xperia still beat it in most of the tests, also see the picture clarity of both :

Last edited by dark.knight : 27th May 2018 at 11:15.
Old 27th May 2018, 23:10   #43
BHPian

Does the invoice come with a break up of GST involved?
Can GST be availed in smartphones such as OP6 if they are purchased for official work?
Old 28th May 2018, 00:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
With the cost price of the phone, I would still prefer buying 10-30 day old phones from used cell phone shops for 60% the price . The S8 i am using I bought it for 34000 around a month after initial launch and It was in brand new condition. Saved me around 30,000 and made economic sense!
Any of these online?
Old 28th May 2018, 01:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Does the invoice come with a break up of GST involved?
Can GST be availed in smartphones such as OP6 if they are purchased for official work?
Yes, it does. If you purchase it online, it certainly will. If purchased offline, the store will either print the complete breakup with pre and post-tax price or will write down a similar invoice manually. Both are good to go. Just in case they are lazy with the invoice, you may ask for it and you're good to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks