Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 15:51   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't put speaker by any of this kit, either!

Keep anything with a magnet in it at least a few inches away from all your kit.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Thanks for suggestion. Isn't that aluminium Cylindrical Cover over external HDD will protect it from signal?
Again It is placed at the bottom of the antenna where antenna has shadow.
If I am wrong please suggest, anyway I am also not 100% confident in this and want to shift that HDD somewhere away.

What about inbuilt HDD of Desktop with wifi?
Its not the HDD that will be affected, but your wifi signal due to EMI from HDD and its crude SMPS supply that comes with these casing.

Last edited by SirAlec : 16th February 2009 at 18:31.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:40   #168
BHPian

the modem is motorola S5100i.
its has 4 outlets at the back
Ethernet port
a port for usb(shown in pic)- its other end is a normal usb port and i i have not used this cable yet.
a port for the internet cable
port for power plug
Attached Thumbnails
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-usb_2.0_type_a_to_type_b_1.8m.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 23:38   #169
Senior - BHPian

If this is a always on connection (if you don't use a dialer to connect from pc)

do one thing, you don't need to invest in a router just the UTP cable and two connectors.

You need usb drivers (driver cd) for this model.

1. use usb for you desktop and
2. ethernet port for your laptop with cable running from down all the way to first floor. (ofcourse there will be no wifi)
Old 11th March 2009, 00:26   #170
BHPian

seems my pc doesnt recognize the broadband connection when using the usb but it works perfectly when using the ethernet cable??
is there something that im missing!!
Old 11th March 2009, 08:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

With a USB connection, you have to dial the connection from your PC...
Old 11th March 2009, 17:11   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
seems my pc doesnt recognize the broadband connection when using the usb but it works perfectly when using the ethernet cable??
is there something that im missing!!
PCs when connected to the modem using USB requires you to install the modem drivers.

When you go to Device manager (Click Start - Run - Type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes) and click OK), you will see a yellow bang next to USB devices which is infact your modem when conencted using USB cable without the drivers installed. Right click this entry in device manager to update drivers automatically with the modem CD in the drive or download the drivers and install it from the Modem manufacturers website.

Once in device manager, the device entry looks clean you can go online using USB connection from the modem.
Old 12th March 2009, 01:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Its not so..!

you need to install usb to ethernet drivers for your adsl modem. It comes along with the modem in a cd.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yes if modem supports bridged connection through ADSL then it can be configured for dialup. Look more details in Bridged connection support in your device's manual.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:41   #175
BHPian

i was finding the problem when installing the modem driver through the cd provided.the last step detects the connection but it seems my usb connection was showing"low or no connectivity icon" in the tray below.but when i use the ethernet cable it works slick as ever!!

OT:i have one more doubt,i wanted to extend the cable wire of the modem since il be placing the pc in another room.
il need an extra 10 meters of cable,i was wondering if there is any connector that i can get to buy to connect two ends of the cable or do i have to replace it fully with a single cable wire??
Old 13th March 2009, 16:35   #176
BHPian

[quote=ariendj;1211700]i was finding the problem when installing the modem driver through the cd provided.the last step detects the connection but it seems my usb connection was showing"low or no connectivity icon" in the tray below.but when i use the ethernet cable it works slick as ever!!
quote]

The modem will support either USB or ethernet connection at a time. So when you have the USB connected make sure the ehternet is unplugged. And also power off the modem, wait for 2 minutes and power it ON. This should help you get rid of "Limited or no connectivity" message for the USB connection.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:05   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post

The modem will support either USB or ethernet connection at a time. So when you have the USB connected make sure the ehternet is unplugged.
i was planning to get a lap at end of this month,does your above statement mean that i cant use the usb cable for surfing net on pc and the ethernet cable for surfing from the lap at same time!!!
Old 13th March 2009, 17:33   #178
BHPian

Quote:
i was planning to get a lap at end of this month,does your above statement mean that i cant use the usb cable for surfing net on pc and the ethernet cable for surfing from the lap at same time!!!
Not gonna work. You will have to get a wireless router to setup a home network. The wireless router will split the internet connection so that multiple computers can go online simultaneously.

The wireless router will support both wired and wireless connection. So that laptop can connect wireless and the desktop wired using ethernet.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:41   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not gonna work. You will have to get a wireless router to setup a home network. The wireless router will split the internet connection so that multiple computers can go online simultaneously.
So will a small hub or switch, at vastly less cost!

If wireless is not needed, then no need to spend on a wireless router!

With a 4-port hub: one port to modem ethernet, three left for PCs.

The modem is a modem/router, even if it only has one ethenet port.
Old 14th March 2009, 13:24   #180
BHPian

Quote:
You would need a Switch or wireless router. I would recommend wireless since your second PC would be a laptop.

5-port switch - Rs.500 (sufficient for wired networking)

WiFi - Rs.1600 (necessary for wireless)

Hub is an obsolete technology

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks