Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 02:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@ steriod
can you please do the following.
1. quote the list of equipment in detail with their role.
2. respective ip range you are using.
3. security/encrypition you are using.

PS: exact model of router etc would help.

1.List of equipment:

a. Belkin N1 (Modem + Router + WiFi Access POint)
b. Apple Time Capsule (network storage + wifi print-server)
c. Apple Airport Extreme - primarily to stream music from PC or Mac to the hifi.
d. 2 PC clients
e. 1 Mac client (Leopard)
f. Other clients - 1 PS3

192.168.___.001 to 010, all clients on DHCP except Time Capsule which is Fixed IP configured manually.

WEP 128 bit

I'm at the end of my patience at the moment. Might be tempted to go in for a cheap Belkin range extender and finish it off, apple or no apple.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:40   #197
BHPian

Toruble with my wireless setup at home

hi,

i had purchased the Netgear wireless router WGR614v5 from US in 2006. Was waiting to move to my new home to set it up. I have the following devices and connections :

Machines:
1. HP DV1104 ax ( new laptop with wireless built in) Nov 08 model
2. IBM lenovo R61 ( office laptop)
3. HP Ze4530 US ( old laptop -- intel celeron ) Nov 04 model

Internet connection :
1. Tata Indicom broadband over PPOE

Router :
1. Netgear WGR614v5 ( non ADSL wireless router)
WEP 128 bit encryped secure network settings

Problem : I had setup my older laptop in US with the netgear router and a cable broadband connection. Now i need to set it up all over again with Tata indicom PPOE connection.

I could get a solution to getting connected 1 machine to tata indicom by doing a bit of googling and over a wired network.

This i was able to accomplish as mentioned in the fig 4 in the link below :

Example 3: PPPoE Internet Connection and LAN(Ethernet) Private Connection

Now when i fire up my lenovo or new hp laptop , i do get my ssid displayed in the list of available wireless networks. however, it says limited or no connectivity. Also i do not have the option to connect to the PPOE connection from the wireless connection. Am i missing something or is there something that i havent done correctly.

please advise.

thanks
KPB

Last edited by kpbhatt : 16th March 2009 at 16:42. Reason: removed incorrect image
Old 17th March 2009, 08:10   #198
BHPian

@kpbhatt

you are doing it all wrong.. I guess with your current setup, you use your PC to login. There is a PPPoE dialer in-built in your netgear router. Configure that for login. You will then have always on connection and can use any PC. Also enable DHCP server on the router to resolve limited connectivity issue. please refer to the product manual for setup. its available HERE. page 3-2 for wiring up and 3-13 onwards for settings.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:43   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
@kpbhatt

you are doing it all wrong.. I guess with your current setup, you use your PC to login. There is a PPPoE dialer in-built in your netgear router. Configure that for login. You will then have always on connection and can use any PC. Also enable DHCP server on the router to resolve limited connectivity issue. please refer to the product manual for setup. its available HERE. page 3-2 for wiring up and 3-13 onwards for settings.
thanks comrade -- will try it today evening once i am back home from this office madness
Old 18th March 2009, 01:24   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1.List of equipment:

a. Belkin N1 (Modem + Router + WiFi Access POint)
b. Apple Time Capsule (network storage + wifi print-server)
c. Apple Airport Extreme - primarily to stream music from PC or Mac to the hifi.
d. 2 PC clients
e. 1 Mac client (Leopard)
f. Other clients - 1 PS3

192.168.___.001 to 010, all clients on DHCP except Time Capsule which is Fixed IP configured manually.

WEP 128 bit

I'm at the end of my patience at the moment. Might be tempted to go in for a cheap Belkin range extender and finish it off, apple or no apple.
SOme more queries. i am bit confused here with so many wifi devices, that does the same thing.
1. I dunno why you people are using WEP. Its less secure. Use the newer WPA/WPA2 Personal instead.

2. WHy do you have to use Time capsule, airport extreme and also a wifi router at the same time.

3. Time capsule is basically a Airport Extreme with a HDD inside. Oh so use this as a usb print server, so can you with Airport extreme.

Lemme take some time to give you a simplest and hassle free setup.
Old 20th March 2009, 08:46   #201
BHPian

note: all info gathered from gyanguru google

WDS seems to be the culprit in steeroid's case. Belkin router doesn't support the feature which seems to be necessary for airport products to work as extender.

1 quick solution I can think about is swapping TC and N1.

I wouldn't be worried about 1TB getting hacked cos i believe it can be hacked even when it is just a client and not the router.

Also use WPA2 security. This is supported by all the routers and has nothing to do with WDS.

1 thing that caught my attention is TC unable to connect wirelessly to N1. I think TC is in a blind-spot. Even though the network may be visible in the list, singal may not be strong enough to form a connection. Have you checked that possibility by changing location etc??
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:35   #202
BHPian

Need advice on setting up wifi in a duplex

I'm moving into a new duplex apartment and want to setup a wifi connection so that I can connect to the internet from my laptop as well as my desktop and also share files between the two.

Can anyone tell me which sort of a wifi router (specs, brands etc) I will need as well as which wifi dongle for my desktop I will need. My laptop has built-in wifi.

The apartment is about 2200 sqft. I've read online that it is advisable to have the wifi router setup as high as possible. Is this true? In which case I can have it installed on the top floor instead of the bottom.

I want to be able to copy large files and even stream videos from one machine to the other and will require the router to handle that volume of information. Note: I'm not talking about streaming from the internet, just between the machines.

Please post replies as soon as possible since I move in this coming weekend and would want the setup ready to go on or before that time.

Thanks a lot!

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread closed. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2009 at 18:17. Reason: Search please
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:57   #203
BHPian

I am living in a Duplex and using a Linksys G wireless router. It is placed on halfway through the staircase from first floor to the terrace and works prefectly fine even on the ground floor, barring the bedroom of the GF. The walls do interrupt and hence the GF bedroom is not Wifi :-(

Otherwise, I have had no issues with the Linksys G router.

Can not comment on the Wifi dongle.

Hhope this helps
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:58   #204
Senior - BHPian

Height does not matter much for setting up a wifi router. My laptop catches the wifi signal even on the first floor though my router is on the second. (weak due to obstacles but no loss of connection)

It depends on what kind of obstacles you have.
Check out in the market for D-Link or Netgear. Further googling will lead you to the best models of these brands. I use a D-Link WBR 1310 wireless G model.

Check out - D-Link Wireless Home Networking
Not sure if all the models are available in India.

Last edited by pulsar56 : 23rd March 2009 at 18:00.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:06   #205
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you borrow a coupla friends' routers (Netgear has a higher powered version) and then decide?

My house is on the first floor and I've connected to it, while parked outside in the car some 20m away.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:08   #206
BHPian

Mods - Sorry about the new thread. Thanks for merging.

@ pulsar56 - Thanks for the link - very useful.

Will an N or G router enable me to also go online with my PS3 and XBOX360 in addition to the laptop and desktop? What I'm trying to ask is whether there is a limit to the number of connections possible.

Sorry if the question is nooby!

Seems like a D-link or Netgear N router is for me. Will do more research. Wish I was smarter about all this tech stuff.

Last edited by Bluu : 23rd March 2009 at 19:11. Reason: Forgot to ask the question! Trigger-happy!
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:11   #207
Senior - BHPian

I Use a Linksys WAG200G modem+wireless router at home. I have had absolutely no problems with it so far. I have a USB Laser printer which is hooked to the desktop. It does not have built in wireless or ethernet capability. The modem on the other hand has about three unused ethernet slots.

In other words the Linksys has only Ethernet and the Printer has only USB. What should I do to be able to get the printer on the wireless network - so that I dont have to switch the desktop on to be able to print wirelessly.
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:31   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
@ pulsar56 - Thanks for the link - very useful.

Will an N or G router enable me to also go online with my PS3 and XBOX360 in addition to the laptop and desktop? What I'm trying to ask is whether there is a limit to the number of connections possible.
My Laptop & PS3 are connected with my router and I have setup my laptop as a media center for my PS3 as well. There won't be any problem in connecting your PS3 or Xbox.
As for the No. of connections, my model supports 25 I guess. (not very sure as the max no. I have connected till date is 3). 4 is max via ethernet on most of the home-use routers.
To enhance security, I also have enabled controlled access based on MAC-IDs of the LAN cards apart from the access key!
Please do go through this thread. Most of your questions might be already answered.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:47   #209
BHPian

@kb100: you need something commonly known as print server. here you go>>> Newegg.com

@Bluu: there should never be a range problem within same house, duplex included. If you are unsure then go for range-max or range-plus segment from netgear or linksys. But I think such extreme equipment is not necessary.

The max of devices is somewhere around 32. but not sure.. 4/5 is no sweat at all.

Last edited by Comrade : 23rd March 2009 at 22:49.
Old 20th April 2009, 23:23   #210
BHPian

Finally Wi-fi ed the home- Wife's thrilled!

Great day, great evening!- after waiting eons for my computer store guy to get a Wireless-N ADSL2+ modem cum wi-fi router (2 weeks), I finally settled for a MUCH cheaper but equally efficient piece of equipment.

I have a BSNL broadband connection, and wanted to wi-fi my house for a long time (could even browse from the Loo!), plus the computer table was simply getting cluttered with the wires of the latop adapter, modem,router.. tying me with an invisible chain to the table.

I went to the nearby (purpoted to be the best in mysore) computer store, and gave the chap there, a couple of model details (Painstakingly collected online),got a waiting period of 2 weeks ( I KNOW there is something called e-bay - before you ask me that!- but I AM quite finicky about seeing the product before purchase, and am too lazy to run around couriering the stuff back and forth in case of damage)
Two weeks later- I call up- and my sadness knows no bounds!- the guys' don't have it!!. Went to the BSNL office in mysore, and was told that they were clean out of modems!, and that it's take a while.

But to every door that closes, one opens (strange isn't it?)- yesterday I got a call from the BSNL engineer (Whom I'd gone on pestering for details), who said "New stocks' come- get your backside up there to the office. So today I did!- and got a DNA-A211-I Wifi router cum ADSL2+ Modem- the cost ?.. 1664 bucks (Compare that to 7500 for the Linksys/Cisco )

Anyway- got back home- unplugged the old modem and gave it a decent burial. Then set out to configure the box.

The new modem looks abolutely plain.8 green LED indicators on the front are the only color (apart from the BSNL logo of course), one black antenna jutting out at the back, and 4 LAN ports.

The CD with its drivers says it's made in singapore, but no mention of any foreign manufacturer anywhere on the modem or its box. the carboard box mentions the price as Rs.1391.

anyway- the installation is a breeze- no need for any tech help. The documentation and menus are quite simple to follow. Set up the device on the laptop using the ethernet first, and then disconnected the cable, turned on the wireless feature on the laptop, and set up the home network - secured it with WPA, and there- its done ! - all in 30 minutes.

Now- I tried doing something I wanted to do since the moment I got my hands on the iPod touch- browse the net using the wifi of the 'touch'. A few settings modified here and there - and there it was !- up and running!

Took the laptop for a spin around the house - tested the connectivity in each corner of our 3 storeyed house, and it works fine everywhere.

The wife was wondering why I had that grin on my face.. scooted off before she oculd make any more observations.

Next- got the Ipod, and turned on the Wi-fi, and jogged around the house - no problems with connectivity whatsoever.. So very very happy now!.

Next project- connect mobile (First I've gotta get one with Wi-fi!) , and any other device I can think of (Now comes the role of e-bay and T3 mag)

Took the Ipod to the kitchen where the wife was cooking- sent her shooting up 3 inches off the floor with a loud 'YAHOO'!, and showed her a couple of recipes on the pod- she was thrilled- no more writing down stuff on bits of paper - the pod's the new 'recipe book'.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention (For I am sure there will be some who are curious) - You DON'T need a wi-fi modem for conecting the Ipod to the internet (I racked my brains 2 hours for this), You can do it with a wi-fi enabled Laptop (Most laptops have this feature now-a -days) and a net connection from an ordinary ADSL modem too.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st April 2009 at 02:05. Reason: Thread merged with existing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks