Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 16:47   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
doomsday. The problem here is the IP address range of the Beetel 220BX (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254) and the DLink DWL-2100AP (Fixed IP of 192.168.0.50).

In order to access the configuration page of the DLink DWL-2100AP you need to make sure the computer is assigned an IP in the same range as the DLink.

1. Change any one of the computers IP to 192.168.0.10 (manually assigned IP).
2. Now you should be able to open the DLink configuration page using 192.168.0.50.
3. Admin as username and password as blank.
4. Make necessary chages to secure the wireless network on the DLink configuration page and save settings.
5. Once the network shows up as secure revert the IP back to the 192.168.1... range.

Hope this helps!!!
Well, after changing the IP (step 1) I still wasn't able to access the config page. Screenshots follow.

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-1.jpg

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Doomsday,

To access the admin page in your router, you need to set the Airtel Modem to work as bridge.

Check this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1295921 . This will (should) solve your issues.

Let me know if you have any more queries.
I have gone through that thread and its a little extreme for me with multiple Wi-fi devices in most setups. Can you outline the solution in slightly simpler terms? On how to make the ADSL modem work as a bridge.

Thanks to everyone for pointers and suggestions.
Old 28th May 2009, 18:02   #227
BHPian

Assign the IP as 192.168.0.10, subnet as 255.255.255.0 and default gateway as 192.168.0.1 and try. Reset the Access point before you try accessing the page again.
Old 28th May 2009, 18:48   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Assign the IP as 192.168.0.10, subnet as 255.255.255.0 and default gateway as 192.168.0.1 and try. Reset the Access point before you try accessing the page again.
Tried that. Reset the WAP too. Didn't work, same network timeout as above.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:13   #229
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Tried that. Reset the WAP too. Didn't work, same network timeout as above.
I don't know whether it would help, but I found this when I searched for that model.

DWL-2100AP AirPlus Xtreme G High-Speed 2.4 GHz Wireless Access Point Wireless Access Point reviews - CNET Reviews

The part that was interesting: (quuoting from above)

The D-Link DWL-2100AP pulls ahead of the pack in security. The device offers 64-, 128-, and 152-bit WEP encryption, as well as two modes of WPA protection with 802.1x authentication: PSK (pre-shared key) or EAP (extensive authentication protocol), which involves coordination with a RADIUS server. You can also accept or reject up to 16 MAC addresses via the tool's filter section.

The D-Link DWL-2100AP's final noteworthy feature is AP Manager, a network management application included on the device's CD. The handy app detects the access points on your network and lets you manipulate their IP addresses and security settings, all within a single control panel.

Hope this is of use.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:36   #230
Senior - BHPian

DoomsDay,

Did you read through the link Omniscience: Setting up Wireless Router with Airtel modem Beetel 200BX that was given in previously mentioned post?

The steps given there are pretty basic, IMHO.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:50   #231
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I think is happening - you AP is configured to get an IP dynamically from the Modem, and hence you are not able to access it using the default IP (192.168.0.50).

Every AP has a NetBIOS name - if I am not wrong the default NetBIOS name for D-Link APs is "dlinkap" - When your laptop is able to go online wireless, try http://dlinkap - this *should* work if the NetBIOS is dlinkap indeed.

Else disconnect the modem and the AP, turn off and back on the AP, connect wireless, assign 192.168.0.100 / 255.255.255.0 on the computer, and try accessing the AP using http://192.168.0.50 - should work, else reset the AP and try the same steps.

Once you are inside the config page, set a static IP of 192.168.1.250 for the AP under LAN settings, with 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 as default gateway. The same page as AP name, set something you can remember (without space) there.

Hope this helps.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:32   #232
BHPian

I did it long time back on my network with Dlink from MTNL and Linksys wireless router. Willl go home and check if had something. But one simple trick for you. Considering both IP address same, I would suggest to change the IP of Beetel first to something else. And then try connecting to 192.168.1.1 hope it will take you to wireless this time. Enter and change the way you want this to be. Once done Change back Beetel to its original setting.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:47   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post

I don't know whether it would help, but I found this when I searched for that model.

DWL-2100AP AirPlus Xtreme G High-Speed 2.4 GHz Wireless Access Point Wireless Access Point reviews - CNET Reviews

The part that was interesting: (quuoting from above)

The D-Link DWL-2100AP's final noteworthy feature is AP Manager, a network management application included on the device's CD. The handy app detects the access points on your network and lets you manipulate their IP addresses and security settings, all within a single control panel.

Hope this is of use.
This was by far the most helpful clue, I hadn't even looked at the CD assuming the stuff was PnP. I installed the aforementioned utility, and got thru the wizard and was finally able to setup a WEP (for now) encryption. It said it saved the config and the router restarted.

Buttt, I tried groping for my wireless network using the 'Wireless Network Utility' and check if the network was secure. Well, it wasn't. The thing was still open and the 'lock' symbol that accompanies the network name didn't show up. Two clicks and anyone can connect to the network.

Sheesh. Dunno where this thing's heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
DoomsDay,

Did you read through the link Omniscience: Setting up Wireless Router with Airtel modem Beetel 200BX that was given in previously mentioned post?

The steps given there are pretty basic, IMHO.
Yes I did, but I didn't read past the step which said that I need to connect the ADSL modem to the WAP and connect the latter to my comp via a cable- since unlike the Linksys mentioned, there is no output available from the D-Link WAP, only one RJ45 input is present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Here is what I think is happening - you AP is configured to get an IP dynamically from the Modem, and hence you are not able to access it using the default IP (192.168.0.50).

Every AP has a NetBIOS name - if I am not wrong the default NetBIOS name for D-Link APs is "dlinkap" - When your laptop is able to go online wireless, try http://dlinkap - this *should* work if the NetBIOS is dlinkap indeed.

Else disconnect the modem and the AP, turn off and back on the AP, connect wireless, assign 192.168.0.100 / 255.255.255.0 on the computer, and try accessing the AP using http://192.168.0.50 - should work, else reset the AP and try the same steps.

Once you are inside the config page, set a static IP of 192.168.1.250 for the AP under LAN settings, with 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 as default gateway. The same page as AP name, set something you can remember (without space) there.

Hope this helps.
Wasn't able to access the mentioned NB, have tried the alternative method before, hasn't worked.

Is there any way to verify if the WEP config has been accepted (if thats the right word) by the AP?
Old 28th May 2009, 22:11   #234
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I installed the aforementioned utility, and got thru the wizard and was finally able to setup a WEP (for now) encryption. It said it saved the config and the router restarted.
I am sorry that it did not work out for you. I do not have any technical knowledge to offer anything else.

Will a second try work?
Old 28th May 2009, 22:53   #235
Team-BHP Support

If wep is accepted when you try to reconnect it will ask for the password on the laptop, its as simple as that.

How i configured my wifi:
- Switched ON wifi (without internet modem connected) and enabled laptop wifi and connected to wifi
- on the browser typed 192.168.1.1 and login prompt of wifi admin page came up and logged in
- enabled dhcp in wifi for multiple connections using wifi
- changed the default ip 192.168.1.1 to a new one, since the internet modem also used the same device ip as wifi and saved and restarted
- reconnect to wifi modem admin page using the newly assigned ip to access the wifi
- then configured wifi router connection for internet modem with fixed ip provided by internet provider, saved and restarted
- connected the internet modem and confirmed the connection is working
- went to wireless section in the admin page, enabled wpa, assigned password and saved and restarted
- wifi router restarted and i reconnected the lap top, it asks for wpa password, once keyed in connects to wifi
- changed admin password for wifi to ensure no fiddling happens

Now i could connect to admin page of internet modem using 192.168.1.1 and wifi using the newly assigned wifi device ip.

This was for linksys wifi router.
Old 28th May 2009, 22:57   #236
BHPian

Quote:
How do I isolate the wireless router from the modem??
From the Quick Install guide for this product available at Wireless Access Point (802.11g) DWL-2100AP , page 6 of 12.

"Note: You also have the option of connecting the
DWL-2100AP directly to the computer that will be used for configuration. The Link LED light will illuminate to indicate a proper Ethernet connection. (Note: The Ethernet Port on the DWL-2100AP is Auto-MDI/MDIX.
Meaning you can use a straight-through or crossover Ethernet cable to connect to the Ethernet port on the DWL-2100AP.)"

Connect the wireless router directly to your laptop using a RJ45 cable and type 192.168.0.50. You should then be able to access the router homepage for configuring it. After you're done, revert back to your original setup - i.e. ADSL modem to wireless router. You should have a secure wireless network.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 29th May 2009, 03:10   #237
Senior - BHPian

Doomsday - it should not be so difficult. I can walk you through over phone (used to be a Wifi phone support guy years back ), PM me, will give you my number. If you take it, be ready with a cordless, about 30 - 60 min of time, and lotsa patience!!
Old 29th May 2009, 09:36   #238
Senior - BHPian

WEP is easily hackable with the right set of tools in 2 minutes. Please change it to WPA2+AES, if your laptops supports it. I believe even WPA2 can be hacked, but takes a lot more time. So it is sufficient to discourage casual neighbors looking for a free lunch.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:01   #239
BANNED

There are two qood was of securing the connection. Otherwise the whole neighbourhood can use your connection:

1. Use encryption. Set up both the hub and the pc)s) to use encryption. This is veru\ secure.

2. equally secure is to set up MAC filtering. You can take the MAC nos of all your PCs and feed them to the modem, with the option to block all others. Only if you get another system will you have to feed in its MAC as well. You can get the MAC of your system by going to the DOS prompt and issuing ipconfig/all

If you have to move across locations where setting up the same password is not possible, the the second is the only feasible option.

Last edited by sgiitk : 29th May 2009 at 10:02.
Old 19th July 2009, 22:36   #240
BANNED

I want to connect D-link wireless Router with a Asianet cable modem. Folks are sayig that it's uphill task conecting cable modems with wireless Router.

Anyone please provide any tips/tuts ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks