Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 02:20   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

MAC filtering is not even close to encryption in terms of security.

It may deter the passer by with a laptop, but it would not deter anyone determined.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:33   #242
BHPian

My router got hacked into and taken over. I have done a hard reset and setting it up again. Hiding the ssid broadcast and MAC filtering. I am also switching to WPA2. What else can I do to make it more secure? Its a Belkin G. Thanks!

Last edited by Raj1008 : 24th September 2009 at 19:34.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:44   #243
Senior - BHPian

Raj: Switch it on only when required, other times switch it off.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:44   #244
BHPian

Thats not really possible as I have a VOIP and two laptops on this, which are used all times of the day/night
Old 24th September 2009, 21:48   #245
Senior - BHPian

Woah! So, not much of option left, IMO!

MAC filter, disabling broadcast & WPA2 - nothing else remaining to do.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:05   #246
BHPian

There is another - very convoluted technique to be warned of a hacking attempt through your Wifi. MAC filtering and WPA2 are basic steps in the right direction. Disabling SSID is not much of a security measure as you resort to security by obscurity.

The technique I have adopted is to use a system of IFF ( identification Friend or Foe) whereby all the users of the Wifi will acknowledge and answer a hash value when queried at periodical interval by a server. If the "man-in-the-middle" hacker or a free rider gets in, his machine will not know the hash and hence can't reply the IFF query, which sets the trigger.

I know it is a bit complicated - but it is a lot secure and uses active technique to look for trespassers.
Old 26th September 2009, 09:26   #247
BHPian

Thanks Prowler

1. How do I set up the IFF?
2. Will I able to config my ada router (VOIP) to do the same?
Old 26th September 2009, 14:16   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Thanks Prowler

1. How do I set up the IFF?
2. Will I able to config my ada router (VOIP) to do the same?
1. I can suggest some method here. For greater details, you will have to contact me in private. Remember that such techniques are rarely implemented and the success depends on the fact that there are fewer instances of them deployed - each with its own variation.

The minimum need is each of the computer will need to run a service and your Wifi router must be capable of writing the log file in one of the computers which is always on. This computer will run the script which queries the computers.

2. Take a look at the log file of your Wifi Router. It must contain at least the dynamically assigned IP Address of each computer. And your router must have the option of writing the log file in a remote location. Most routers meet this requirement.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:01   #249
BHPian

Guys i have installed Belkin router in my home and it works absolutely fine. Now i have 2 laptops and my Htc which i use through it. Now somedays back one of my laptop recognises the network but does not connects to it. It shows Validating identity all the time. Also when i click the baloon at the tray, it shows "windows did not find a certificate to log you on to network".

Can someone please help !!!
Old 17th November 2009, 15:15   #250
Senior - BHPian

it seems authentication error.
some older lappy cannot use all the channels and cannot authenticate wpa2-psk (tkip or aes)

you have to use hit and trial method to check which channel is suitable. channel 11 is most suitable. and wpa2-psk security.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:39   #251
Senior - BHPian

Query- I have 2 ISP connections BSNL & Tata Indicom. Can I connect & use both these connections simultaneously, by connecting the BSNL modem via the USB & Tata Indicom via the ethernet port.

Techies is this possible ?? if so how to configure.
Old 17th November 2009, 21:24   #252
Senior - BHPian

^^^
now why do you want to do that. ??

are both connection adsl based?

BTW there is already a thread dedicated to combining two connection. Use search functuion
Old 18th November 2009, 01:12   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Guys i have installed Belkin router in my home and it works absolutely fine. Now i have 2 laptops and my Htc which i use through it. Now somedays back one of my laptop recognises the network but does not connects to it. It shows Validating identity all the time. Also when i click the baloon at the tray, it shows "windows did not find a certificate to log you on to network".

Can someone please help !!!
Looking at the issue I understand the laptop having problem runs Win XP. On the laptop go to "Network Connections" in the control panel. Right click the Wireless Network Connection and click properties. Click the Wireless networks tab on the top. Select your network in the preferred networks list and click properties. Under the Authentication tab uncheck the option for IEEE. Click OK. and OK again to exit. Your network should connect without any issues.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

Issue with W-LAN on home workstation

Friends,

I have been facing this probelm since i bought my desktop workstation.

I bought a workstation for home use basically for my wife and daughter during Sept 2009. We also subscribed to a BSNL broadband connection with a W-LAN modem built in. the Modem has been kept in a different room (Living room) and the workstation is in a different room (study). the distance between these two rooms is approx 15 mters, they are on the same floor.

The workstation used BELKIN W-LAN card. the connection used to get frequently disturbed/broken. We used to have some virus software "Kx series" which had come free with the desktop. The guy who sold us the PC told that the virsu SW has got corrupted, hence this probelm.

we bought the authentic virus protection SW (Macaffe), still the probelm persists. The guy told that we need to re-format, it was done, windows re-loaded, still the problem remians. infact it has increased. now out of 10 times when we try to connect to W_LAN 9 times it does not show any network availability

later on the guy told that we need to go for a different make W_LAN card with better performance, we opted for it at an incremental cost of RS 150, still the probelm persists, it is not getting connected to the network.

the signal strenght indicator shows very low where as my other two laptops (office one as well as personal one) show good signal strenght when kept besides the desktop.

becasue of this my CPU is now with the guy for last about 4 weeks, every other day he brings it for some testing, he finds the same problem and then returns. he even took our modem for testing for few days, but could not identify the probelms.

any advice ?

sorry for the long post.

Note to Mods : I was not sure, where to post this question, you may merge this with any other thread.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:40   #255
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if you have tried this or not, but I would attack the problem this way.

1) Check if your router is working properly, in both wireless and wired mode. If it works well, then there is no problem with router. Check with friend's laptop or desktop if it works with both wired and wireless format.

2) Install your card in another PC and see if works or not. If it does in another PC and fails to work in your PC, then you have to either try another car. If the other card also fails, then your mobo has an issue.

So what you need to check :
-> Check if basic connectivity is there from ISP.
-> Check if your Wireless card is working well in another computer.
-> Check if your router is working properly for both, wired and wireless facility.

What is your OS ? Your mobo, processor ?

I hope that I am clear in my post.

EDIT :
4 weeks ? That is one month approx.! This is too much time IMHO. How did he check your router ?

Keep the router at your place, take your laptop/friend's laptop that has wireless facility for testing yourself.
And immediately ask for your PC back. 4 weeks for testing is too long a time. I am not scaring you, but I have learnt many thing the hard way round, so keep pc at your place. How is he testing the parts ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th March 2010 at 22:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks