Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 22:51   #256
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aaggoswami. i had anticipated that you would respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Check if your router is working properly, in both wireless and wired mode. If it works well, then there is no problem with router. Check with friend's laptop or desktop if it works with both wired and wireless format.
Yes the Router works fine, my other two laptops work fabulously well,
Even my brother in law's laptop works well. Even my friend's & Colleague's laptop worked fine.

Quote:
2) Install your card in another PC and see if works or not. If it does in another PC and fails to work in your PC, then you have to either try another car. If the other card also fails, then your mobo has an issue.
I will check with the guy whether he has checked this. he has tried two card till now BELKIN and the other brand (i do not remember the name)

Quote:
So what you need to check :
-> Check if basic connectivity is there from ISP.
-> Check if your Wireless card is working well in another computer.
-> Check if your router is working properly for both, wired and wireless facility.
Yes, Basic connectivity is there, router is working fine,

Quote:
What is your OS ? Your mobo, processor ?
Microsoft windows Xp, Intel 2.5GHx processor.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:00   #257
BANNED

@StarVegabond

1. Shift your Desktop to the room where the Router is installed and see the signal strength. If the signal is at acceptable level then its a problem with the distance, if it found too low then its a problem of WLAN card.

What i suggest is either shift Desktop/Router if found signal level problem or opt for an Wireless USB Adapter with extension cable so you can place the USB device on table to get maximum signal level.

Last edited by wildon : 10th March 2010 at 23:01.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:03   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
@StarVegabond

1. Shift your Desktop to the room where the Router is installed and see the signal strength. If the signal is at acceptable level then its a problem with the distance, if it found too low then its a problem of WLAN card.

What i suggest is opt for an Wireless USB Adapter with extension cable so you can place the USB device on table to get maximum signal level.
I did shift the desk top right next to W_LAN router, still the probelm persists. the only difference is the signal strength indicator icreases to 45% from <30% and it breaks often. if i disconnect and try to connect again, it does not get connected.

i do not want to adapt and additive approach to this probelm solving.
it should be solved as it is w/o any additional HW. because my other laptops work perfectly well in all rooms even though the W_LAN router is in the living room.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:37   #259
Team-BHP Support

You wifi card is at fault, period.

If you have tried keeping the modem close to it and if all the settings including the wireless power setting on modem and machine are at max. It should show full signal strength, esp if its in 10 mts line of sight with no walls in between.

Please note that BSNL modems doesnt have great range and wifi cards and USB attachments are generally weak compared to built in wifi units of laptop and phones.
Old 11th March 2010, 01:27   #260
BHPian

Seems to be a problem with the WiFi card on your desktop. What is the make of the card? Try going for an USB card with external antenna or card with an extensible wire. something like this.

Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB

edit: I would not recommend PCI (inside PC case) cards, since PC cases might block signals. USB might be better. Just a thought.

Also, if your PC guy is capable, the problem should have been solved in 4 hours. I am not very confident on he retaining your PC for 4 weeks.

Last edited by Comrade : 11th March 2010 at 01:33.
Old 11th March 2010, 06:55   #261
Senior - BHPian

I am using Belkin Wireless G Adapter and Router for BSNL . It works great in xp and the range is only suitable for 2 to 3 rooms away . BUT , if you are installing Windows 7 , the Belkin adapter is finding problems in working in Windows 7 . I have ordered Linksys G Adapter to work with Windows 7. If you want more coverage , go for N series router.
Old 11th March 2010, 07:47   #262
Senior - BHPian

If the router is perfect and other devices are able connect, then its your desktop's card at fault. I will inquire a bit about which brand is one of the best and post up here. My friend uses such a card and till now, he was getting fantastic speed.
Old 11th March 2010, 20:40   #263
Senior - BHPian

Thansk a bunch guys viz. aggoswami, wildon, jaggu, comrade, undead

i got the latest update from the guy who sold me the desktop.

He tried different W_LAN cards... problem persists
He tried different routers...probelem persists

He tired the W_LAN cards in other PC..it works fine
He tired other PCs on same router..it works fine

now he has sent the PC (motherboard + W-LAN card) to Intel or thier authorized servcie for debugging.

i am expected to get it back by tomorrow evening.
i will post the update once i receive the workstation back at my home.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:05   #264
BHPian

Since you have already tried reinstalling OS too, only culprit left is the MoBo. Probably you should yourself test the WiFi card on your laptop (if USB) or some other desktop (if PCI) to confirm that the WiFi card is fine and the MoBo is the culprit.
Old 26th March 2010, 20:08   #265
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am planning to give complimentary internet via wi-fi in my guest house. I have zero idea about routers/ computers etc etc so I am posting my query here.

1. I do not need the range to be very high as I would like the guests to use the internet only in the lobby (no walls) and not in the room.

2. Someone told me to go in for a wireless hub instead of a wireless router, whats the difference between both? I tried googling but they both appear to be the same.

3. I plan to install the router on a wall (atleast 8 feet high) so that no one can touch or play with it. Is that feasible? I mean how many time would I have to access the router to change the settings etc????

4. Will it be possible to change the password for security purposes everyday without connecting to the router through a wire? I mean can I do it through wi-fi itself?

5. What do "G"/ "N" on routers imply? Are they like Nokia G series or N series?? Which is better for me?

6. Someone suggested D-Link dir-600, is it good??

Thanks & Regards
Old 26th March 2010, 20:25   #266
Team-BHP Support

Not an expert but will share what i know

1 & 2) Wifi router is what you need, if you are getting a new internet connection then ask for a wifi modem+router so that you can have one machine to take care of the needs.
3) Mount it anyplace, once you set it up you dont typically need any wired connection, can be done over wifi. Even if you want, all it requires is a long network cable.
4) Yes you can.
5)IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia basically how efficient the system is.
6) am a linksys fan though D-Link is also a reputed name. Ensure whatever you buy has a good support in your area and atleast a gentelman gurantee from the seller to replace/repair if things go wrong, rarely things go wrong with these equipment.

Best is to get a bundle package from a service provider so that the hardware headache is his. You can always ask them to upgrade your existing connection.
Old 26th March 2010, 20:41   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Not an expert but will share what i know

1 & 2) Wifi router is what you need, if you are getting a new internet connection then ask for a wifi modem+router so that you can have one machine to take care of the needs.
Thanks Jaggu for the prompt response.

Just got an email and it says "XXXX will be giving a Cable / DSL modem, so we will just need a WiFi Hub that we can connect to this modem through a LAN cable."

Now how does it change what you said and how do I distinguish between a Hub and a Modem???

Thanks again!!
Old 26th March 2010, 20:48   #268
Team-BHP Support

If am not mistaken, they will add a wifi router which will be connected by lan cable to the existing internet modem. You will have 2 hardware devices. Good thing you can switch off the wifi router separately as and when required.

Instead ask them to upgrade the existing modem with a wifi modem. ie if the location is within the wifi range from your physical wire connection.

EDIT: I guess hub being referred is a router.
Old 26th March 2010, 20:58   #269
Senior - BHPian

The place they putting they are putting the modem is in the basement. Basically the modem will be used by my brother to run internet for some of hi application.

Since my cousin is using my place+ electricity to run his server, in return he has agreed to give me one line for wi-fi. Thus I think we would require the modem (for him) + the wifi router/wifihub (for me)

So again to confirm, is router and hub are the same thing?

Sorry I might be sounding really really dumb, but I have no idea about these things:(
Old 26th March 2010, 21:07   #270
Team-BHP Support

Yup i guess he is referring to the same.

I understand this is the config you are looking at Internet connection/modem> LAN router (might be inbuilt in modem)> Server and Wifi router separate lines

Funny part is nowadays most of these routers has configuration facility and can act as a modem also.

Anyways since your cousin is a techie who is running a server setup, discuss with him he will help you much better in person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks