Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2006, 15:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

Ajmat, I have wireless network at home on Airtel broadband.

First thing you have to do is ask Airtel to replace your USB modem with an ethernet based router. Then add a wireless access point (around 2k). Rest is just configuration.
Old 6th January 2007, 10:14   #17
BHPian

Airtel IIRC does not provide any wireless router/modem's - however they will change your USB modem to a LAN modem for free - just call up your area engineer or make a request on their helpline.

As for wifi routers/access points/cards - I have a Netgear setup at office and a Linksys setup at home - The Netgear equipment just was not able to provide proper coverage all over the house. The Linksys router is quite good and I have paired it with an Access point whioch results is a very strong signal all over.

Do remember to secure your network wqith WPA-PSK / (2) and add MAC address filtering if you want additional security. I can see 3-4 wireless networks on my machine and none of them are secure - not a very smart thing to do.

If you wish to increase coverage on a wifi PCI card for desktops than you can add a TPLink 5101C antenna - this fits Linksys cards at least and get a decent boost. (the antenna is rated at 7dbi).

zaphod
Old 6th January 2007, 13:54   #18
BHPian

I have a Dlink Access Point and facing major range issue. I am unable to use my laptop from living room with access point in a room and the distance between room and living room is hardly anything. Just a wall between them.

Any suggestions?
Old 6th January 2007, 17:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I have a Dlink Access Point and facing major range issue. I am unable to use my laptop from living room with access point in a room and the distance between room and living room is hardly anything. Just a wall between them.

Any suggestions?
Rodeo,

I have similar problems at home (with a linksys WRT54G).
The Dlink supposedly has a slightly better range.
Ofcourse, the walls in my house are 16" thick brick and cement!

Heres a few tips -
1. The wifi gets broadcast perpendicular to the antena, so if you want the signal to go far horizontally, keep the antena vertical.

2. Use a longer ethernet cable between your modem and router and place the router at a better, higher up location with better line of sight to your target area (ie get it out from behind that cabinet in the corner etc).

3. Try going into your router setup and change the chanel on which the signal is broadcast. (between 1 - 11) this changes the freq slightly if i am not mistaken, and might help combat interference with another wireless device in your home.

4. Change the mode from 802.11g (and b) to only b. Although b is slower (11mbps vs 54mbps) it is supposed to have better range. You wont notice a difference in speed for typical home use.

See if that helps and let us know,
cya
R

ps - last resort option (atleast on the linksys) is flashing 3rd party firmware on which lets you increase the broadcast signal strength dramatically, but it has a few tradeoffs, and in your situation i bet the things i have mentioned above should help quite a bit.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th January 2007 at 17:42.
Old 6th January 2007, 17:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

WRT54G is not so good. WRT54GS/GL is better and uses linux based firmware so rules writing and other hacking is easy and you can have lots of options. Best Linksys firmware is from DD-WRT.
I use a netgear WGR614 from Netgear because I wanted a really cheap router, and WRT54GL was around 80$ as compared to netgears 40$
Old 6th January 2007, 18:03   #21
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan... Will try what you have suggested. I always thought Linksys has got better range and was regretting buying Dlink.
Old 6th January 2007, 19:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Not only Netgear, even Asus has an excellent wireless modem (rs 4500).

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

If you want to download off some torrent and save it into an external hard drive even when your computer is off is possible with this model.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

And this one model even has a built-in 160 GB hard drive which makes it an inpromptu FTP server. SO you don't need an 'external hard drive' !

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Old 6th January 2007, 21:57   #23

i think for linksys wireless routers, u don't need to manually configure anything. If you have a broadband connection, you first download the automatic configuration software available from linksys website. its www.linksys.com\support. After downloading, connect the modem to the telephone line and the router to the modem through the ethernet. Now connect all the p/c's and laptops - wireless enabled or not (max 4) to the router and execute the exe. this software will take care of configuring the network and also secure it on your choice. Thats how i did mine. ADSL modem and Linksys WRT54G.

Have a look at this link Linksys
Old 7th January 2007, 16:53   #24
BHPian

Rehaan, I had the same trouble at our house with the thick walls and trying to get coverage on 2 different floors - just the router wasn't enough - had to get the acces spoint as well.

You mentioned one important point - th erange of Linksys Access Points can be increased quite a lot with third party firmware - the Mustdie firmware seems to be the most popular one. However anyone doing so must make sure that the current firmware version is compatible as some of the latest models have to be downgraded before flashing them mwith MustDie - or you end up with an expensive paperweight.

Another caution for those who plan on online gaming - Counterstrike Source seems really impossible to play with over a wifi network with random jumps in your ping and you feel like you're bei8ng teleported ll over the place - very frustrating.

zaphod
Old 7th January 2007, 18:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Get a Linksys with speedboster (GS instead of GL) and you will have more range. Fit with DD-WRT firmware and ping jumps are also taken care off.
Old 8th January 2007, 00:28   #26
Team-BHP Support

Hi Zaphod,

Well i had two options once i faced the range problem

1. 3rd party firmware (probably still wouldnt penetrate 16" walls and rise one floor in my house to where i wanted the signal)

2. Run a ethernet cable from router1 through the houses cabling and put a new router plugged in upstairs.

I went with option 2.

Also, for informations sake, the going rate on the WRT54G is around Rs2750/- and Dlink ??? is 2250/-. I bet you could even get them for cheaper.

If anyone is interested in playing music to your home stereo wirelessly (kinda like airtunes) look at the WMB54G (wireless music bridge - Rs 4900/-). Its pretty nice if you have all your music on your laptop and hate plugging it in. It works with any software (basically all your system sounds are sent to the bridge which plugs into your stereo/speakers)

cya
R
Old 19th January 2007, 04:47   #27

You can use wireless USB ethernet card adapter in your desktop. once this is set up in the system, DSL wireless router should be included from the DSL modem. wireless routers (Netgear) are available in market for less than 2.5 k Rs
Old 27th April 2007, 15:00   #28
BANNED

Suggest a Cheap & Best Router .

I've been looking out to buy a Router for my Laptop To surf wifi with it so suggest a good A good Product .
Belkin or Linksys ?
Range ? 100 m or Above more than that is available ?
Is it's a plug & play device ? If i've to use Wifi with my pda So i'll just on my router & search for wifi signal on my pda ?

Note from mod, threads merged, please use search function before posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2007 at 16:15.
Old 27th April 2007, 15:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Netgear!
It costs the same as the Linksys,but is really well built and the software package is good.
Old 27th April 2007, 15:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

I hear Linksys is the best. Iv got a Dlink router which works ok though the connection does get cut occasionally. its not really plug nd play, you have to secure your internet connection to stop other people from using it. it shouldnt take more than 30 mins to set up the entire connection. The range depends on routers though dont go by whts written on the box cos things like concrete walls really reduce the range. nd yea if your pda has wifi you can use it on the router. most routers even have connections for your desktop so every computer in the house can be connected.

Most Viewed