Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2006, 17:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan

Folks - current situ is that I have a normal Pentium PC + ethernet card + DSL modem connected via USB. I have attached via the ethernet, a linksys wireless router wrt54g.

Using my laptop, I can access the internet but only when the PC is on. I need to find a way to connect to the internet directly via wireless. What I need is a solution to connect into the RJ 11 socket of the DSL phoneline (I use airtel) from which I can wirelessly access the net. Everything I seem to find uses RJ 45 sockets only..unless I have been looking in the wrong place/asking the wrong connections.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 30th December 2006, 18:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

The simplest solution is to call up and airtel and tell them to replace the modem you have with an ethernet modem. they usually do this.

then you can connect the modem directly to the router and the one port of the router can go to your desktop.
Old 30th December 2006, 18:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ajmat,
I have a Airtel connection too. I connect my Netgear WGR614 router(2100rs) to the modem. So I can connect upto 4 PCs(or laptop) via ethernet, and have wireless connection in the entire house.
If you have an Ethernet modem you can use netgear. For airtel you can ask them to provide you an ethernet modem instead of the USB one.

The kind of solution you are looking for is not available here, but in the US it is. Its called a wireless DSL router. I worked on such chips in the past.
You connect the router to your DSL line, and you have wireless internet in the entire house.

In the US wireless DSL routers cost about 90$ a piece for high end models which support most commonly used DSL(ADSL2) like G.Lite etc., and are capable of supporting yet to come in India 20Mbps+ DSL.

Cheap ones are availalble for around 70$. But that solution actually works out to be more expensive. You already have airtel, so they will give you an ethernet modem on 100rs/month rental. So all you need to do is buy yourself a router for around 2100rs and you will have wireless in entire house.
I am using this solution at my place. I almost got myself a DSL wireless router for an all in one solution, but then I figured the DSL modem+ router option is more economical.
Alternatively if you can purchase a DSL modem for around 1500rs + router for 2100rs if you dont want airtel rental route
Old 30th December 2006, 18:25   #4
BHPian

Ajmat,

the problem is not clear. Are you unable to connect the router to DSL/ phone splitter directly ? The way it is typically connected is: A splitter is used to provide DSL and phone access from same phone port. From splitter one RJ goes to phone and the other goes to wireless router.

A little more description of the problem and how the ISP expects you to connect to DSL will help understand the problem better.
Old 30th December 2006, 18:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi Ajmat,
I have a Airtel connection too. I connect my Netgear WGR614 router(2100rs) to the modem. So I can connect upto 4 PCs(or laptop) via ethernet, and have wireless connection in the entire house.
.................................................. ..........
You connect the router to your DSL line, and you have wireless internet in the entire house.

In the US wireless DSL routers cost about 90$ a piece for high end models which support most commonly used DSL(ADSL2) like G.Lite etc., and are capable of supporting yet to come in India 20Mbps+ DSL.

.......... So all you need to do is buy yourself a router for around 2100rs and you will have wireless in entire house.
I am using this solution at my place. I almost got myself a DSL wireless router for an all in one solution, but then I figured the DSL modem+ router option is more economical.
Alternatively if you can purchase a DSL modem for around 1500rs + router for 2100rs if you dont want airtel rental route

Thanks for the replies. I have an unused US robotics ethernet modem.

1: If I connect the modem to the phone line and the router to the ethernet port of the modem, does this mean that I can get the laptop to talk to the modem directly or is there an interface between the router and modem that needs to be configured ?

2: Would configuration settings would I need to look at in the laptop to activate the modem wirelessly ?
Old 30th December 2006, 18:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Ajmat,

the problem is not clear. Are you unable to connect the router to DSL/ phone splitter directly ? The way it is typically connected is: A splitter is used to provide DSL and phone access from same phone port. From splitter one RJ goes to phone and the other goes to wireless router.

A little more description of the problem and how the ISP expects you to connect to DSL will help understand the problem better.

Exactly, I cannot connect router directly to the RJ11 phone socket
Old 30th December 2006, 20:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like its not very complex.
> Modem input > Its normally RJ11 or Coax cable (in your case it looks like its RJ11 (the same line we use for telephone connection.

> Modem Output > Its normally RJ45 or USB (in your case it looks like its USB - check out if you have got an RJ45 / ethernet port on Modem - the similar port that you have on your laptop or PC for network connection)

> Wireless Router Input (they call it WAN Interface) > 95% of the time its Ethernet / RJ45 only

> Wireless Router Output (LAN Interface) > depending on the make and model you use, I guess yours should have about 4 swiched ethernet ports and wireless radio that can connect number of wireless devices at the same time

Check with Airtel and ask for a DSL / ADSL router that has got Ethernet / RJ45 as its output (LAN) interface - they normally connect that one to your PC. However, you can connect that interface to you Wireless router's WAN Interface (Input) and connect your computer to one of the switch ports (LAN Ports) on you wireless router so you PC can connect to Internet.
Now you should be able to switch off your computer and keep the DSL / ADSL router along with your wireless router on to access internet using your mobile devices (laptop / phones / Printers) on your Home-LAN.
That Wireless Router serves the purpose of the LAN segment for your Home-LAN and its WAN interface (Input) is connected to your DSL /ADSL Router in order to get the Internet access.
Hope this helps.
Old 30th December 2006, 21:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yes ajmat you can talk directly to the modem through the router. But the thing is the Ethernet modem currently has to be the one provided by airtel. Not just any modem will do. Currently none of the ISP's supports this and you have to buy only their modem.

I know for sure airtel will change your modem to the ethernet one as they have dne the similar thing with my friend.

Your router input is connected to the output of the modem and the routers output to your desktop using wired lan and to your laptop wirelessly.
Old 30th December 2006, 21:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Contacting airtel should help you since they provide quiet good customer support.

BSNL provides ADSL2 broadband internet, I feel airtel also provides this now. I use BSNL net @my home the BSNL modem/router I use has ability to provide ethernet, usb, wireless connectivity since it has ethernet port, usb port and wireless facility too. Although I didn't use wireless so far I find this is really good router provided by BSNL.

I use either airtel or BSNL internet in my office by connecting via ethernet LAN...

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th December 2006, 21:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajmat,

Since you have a wirelss router, setup the broadband login credentials in the router itself You'll need to select PPPoE with authorization and enter the UID+PWD and the other details if any DNS/Gateway is static. This option is always found under the WAN options.

The other option is for you to get a wireless modem cum router from Airtel in lieu of your current one, and repeat the above process in that device - making your current wireless router redundant. Technically, the first suggestion is the best way to go yet - and also is how I've set up my broadband.

Better suggestion: BSNL with their 2 Mbps janata bandwidth. Let me know if you would like me to setup your wireless router with broadband.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th December 2006 at 21:51.
Old 30th December 2006, 22:17   #11
BHPian

I have the same airtel wireless + wrt54g setup. Since the wireless router is already connected to the modem, now next step is to setup the wireless router.

For this you may have to login to the setup page of the router, and then have to assign the local ip address to 192.168.0.1 assuming that your dsl modem has the local ip address of 192.168.1.1.

Then you may have to give the standard dns1, dns2. Once done reset the wireless router. Above steps if i remember, i did it by connecting thru wire to the router.

After reset connect to it ur laptop thru wireless. ping to 192.168.0.1 and to 192.168.1.1 to see if its all accesible. if you are able to ping to the 192.168.1.1, then ur online.

Much faster and easier way to do this is to cotact the airtel guy. He will guide you step by step thru this process. They were really friendly unlike the icici call center guys....
Old 30th December 2006, 22:48   #12
BHPian

hey I have a wireless home network setup with my MTNL TriBand ADSL modem..
I have a 54mbps D-Link wireless router connected to my D-Link 502T ASDL modem..everything is connected vi ethernet..
Infact,I don't have a direct wired connection between my router and any of my computers..all comps are through either wireless PCI cards on desktops or inbuilt wireless cards on my laptop.
I didn't have to make any setting changes in the wireless router after I connected the ADSL modem to it..
I would suggest the new Wireless-N Draft/MIMO technology routers and PCMCIA cards..which offer better range,as well as transfer speeds..
cheers,
-sr
Old 31st December 2006, 01:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have an unused US robotics ethernet modem.

1: If I connect the modem to the phone line and the router to the ethernet port of the modem, does this mean that I can get the laptop to talk to the modem directly or is there an interface between the router and modem that needs to be configured ?

2: Would configuration settings would I need to look at in the laptop to activate the modem wirelessly ?
You need to set up your US robotics DSL modem(is it DSL modem you are sure) such that when it powers up, it logs in to Airtel. For that first you have to directly connect the modem to laptop via ethernet and configure it at 192.168.1.1 or whatever ip you assign it to.
Once you have done that, you can connect your wireless router to the ethernet port of the modem, and connect your laptop to wireless router. Open up config settings of the wireless router for direct connection. Normally the manual of your router will explain how to do that.
Old 31st December 2006, 01:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

hey tsk, so any DSL router will work with the airtel line? Aren't there any hardcoded settings settings which prevents the use of 3rd party modems.

I always thought that was the case. Sorry Ajmat if i was wrong.
Old 31st December 2006, 14:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
hey tsk, so any DSL router will work with the airtel line? Aren't there any hardcoded settings settings which prevents the use of 3rd party modems.

I always thought that was the case. Sorry Ajmat if i was wrong.
Before I started using airtel modem, I was using the UT STAR modem given by BSNL. That modem went kaput, so I requested airtel for a modem(99rs/month rental)

So as long as your modem supports the protocols of your service provider it will work. India follows ADSL2 (Airtel, BSNL, MTNL definately work on these)

So any modem which supports ADSL2 or higher (ADSL2+ etc.,) will work.
But a word of caution, its not as simple as adding your username and password in pppoe fields in the modem config. You also need to put in correct VPI/VCI numbers.
BSNL and airtel have different VPI and VCI settings. Another thing to change is MTU(Maximum transmission unit).
So keep all these settings as the ones given by your service provider, put in username and password, and you are set to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks