Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:20   #1
BHPian

Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved

Tata sky seem to have abruptly taken off air a lot of channels, 27 to be precise if I go by news on internet.

The screen on these channels ask you to resume by giving a missed call; a total of 27 missed calls if you want all channels back.

Sadly, the above doesn't work. The call just doesn't connect and service is not restored.
Worse, their helpline numbers are not reachable.

Why as a customer who has paid for the year in advance, or even for the month for that matter, should go through this kind of stupidity.
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tata Sky Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Tata sky seem to have abruptly taken off air a lot of channels, 27 to be precise if I go by news on internet.
This indeed started yesterday.

Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved-img20181001wa0018.jpg
The information by Tata Sky.

Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved-img_20181002_193301.jpg
The explanation by Tata Sky why channels were dropped.

Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved-img_20181002_193239.jpg
The explanation as given by Sony network.

This is ridiculous considering what people will do who have paid well in advance for annual subscription? There is no communication from Tata Sky. It's like they've been caught with pants down after explanation by Sony network. I'm now eagerly waiting for Jio Giga Fiber to launch here. Hopefully they'll bring all channels.
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

I just renewed my TataSky subscription, and I'm furious with how they're handling this nonsense.

Putting aside the 'missed call to resume services' idiocy with a handful of channels, some channels are just gone, AXN HD (#213) and Sony Le Plex HD (#384) to name just two of the favorites in my household.

Airtel had a similar issue with Star channels last year that took a while to resolve. Am I glad I told off the idiot who called me about my 'privilege' to renew my package for two years at a discount, told him I don't trust you guys enough to be held hostage for that long.

I'm off when my 6-month subscription expires. My needs are met by online streaming subscriptions.

P.S. Their pricing argument is hogwash. They're already absurdly expensive at~4.5k INR for a 6-month all-in HD subscription.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd October 2018 at 21:24.
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

After having been on the service on the MegaHD pack for forever, the whole of last year saw teh box being switched on only for the races.
With the firestick, and access to hotstar, netflix, prime video and sony liv, all my needs are catered for at almost half the price. So goodbye Mr Tatasky.
PS: is there any way to use the hard disk inside the HD+ box? Can I use it in an enclosure as a backup device somehow?
Old 9th October 2018, 13:42   #5
BHPian

Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute

The deadlock between Tata Sky and Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) hit a crescendo on Monday evening when the direct-to-home (DTH) platform removed 32 channels of Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) and three from the India Today Network because of differences over pricing.

LINK - https://www.news18.com/news/india/ta...s-1901133.html

I personally am a customer and have contacted them several times. The customer care guys have no answer and are open to credit balance for a month due to non-availability.

It is really frustrating and have no clue where this is heading.

Cheers,
Amey Kulkarni
Old 9th October 2018, 14:35   #6
BHPian

re: Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved

I remember an ad on Sony Pix where they broadcast that "If you are not able to watch Sony channels in your Tata Sky subscription pack you can report it to this number (CC Number) or it is time to change your D2H operator". I was confused by this, now you have cleared me the doubt.

My question is how will Tata Sky subscribers know about this ad??
Old 9th October 2018, 14:49   #7
BHPian

re: Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
The deadlock between Tata Sky and Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) hit a crescendo on Monday evening when the direct-to-home (DTH) platform removed 32 channels of Sony Pictures Networks India (SPN) and three from the India Today Network because of differences over pricing.

LINK - https://www.news18.com/news/india/ta...s-1901133.html

I personally am a customer and have contacted them several times. The customer care guys have no answer and are open to credit balance for a month due to non-availability.

It is really frustrating and have no clue where this is heading.

Cheers,
Amey Kulkarni
You can get the respective channel activated (at no extra cost) by giving a missed call to the specified number. I got India today activated that way
Old 9th October 2018, 15:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
You can get the respective channel activated (at no extra cost) by giving a missed call to the specified number. I got India today activated that way
To add - if you don't want to call for every channel [numbers are different for each channel] you can call Customer Care and ask them to activate all channels.

CC said it is not an issue from Tata Sky and Sony has increased prices- my point was I'm paying Tata Sky for service[annual pack which includes all channels] not Sony - and I asked him to take feedback that if it continues like this we'll file a case in Consumer Court.

And based on the conversation I had looks like the process of missed call/CC contact would have to be repeated every month as the service resets after a month.
Old 9th October 2018, 15:15   #9
BHPian

I think if Sony is able to win this round against TataSky because of customer demand, then invariably other channels will follow suit. And then TataSky will have to increase package costs to maintain profitability, which in turn will hit us.

I think we should bear the pain of not being able to see the missing channels for sometime so that TataSky can come at a reasonable solution with Sony.

But I do think that if stopping the broadcast of these channels by TataSky means that TataSky is not paying Sony for the time-being, then TataSky needs to give credit back for the same period to it's subscribers.
Old 9th October 2018, 15:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If Sony has increased the prices, then how come other DTH providers are telecasting the Sony network channels without any hue or cry? How come this issue is isolated to Tata Sky only?
Old 9th October 2018, 15:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Not all channels are visible in the entire list. Those visible can be re-activated through a missed call or an sms.

eg - Sony ESPN SD/HD, Sony Ten 3 HD, Sony ROX HD etc
Old 11th October 2018, 10:07   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, that is a lose-lose situation if I ever saw one. And there's no way it can continue. Someone will have to give in. From what I'm reading online, Sony is taking a tough stand.

As a customer of Tata Sky, I am mighty pissed off with them. Sony Le Plex is one of my favourite movie channels. When I renewed my annual subscription for Tata Sky, it included the entire package. Will they issue refunds to customers? I don't think so.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a customer of Tata Sky, I am mighty pissed off with them. Sony Le Plex is one of my favourite movie channels. When I renewed my annual subscription for Tata Sky, it included the entire package. Will they issue refunds to customers? I don't think so.
Why are you still a Tata Sky customer? What prevents you from streaming all Sony channels with the SonyLIV app? Cost me 500 rupees for the year.

Tata Sky is the middleman. Cut him out. I did that a few months back, and couldn't be happier.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I was absolutely sick of Tata sky as it was. Every year there's some or the other hike or twist added into what should be an all-inclusive-no-questions package, the mega HD, or whatever it's called now.
I'm using prime video, Netflix, hotstar and Sony liv, so I very satiatedly told the agent calling for renewal "Saab, paise nahi hain Tata sky ke ab".
Who'd have thunk that they don't have a counter pitch for that?
Old 11th October 2018, 11:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am on DISHTV & many a times, tempted to shift to TATA-SKY but am glad that I did'nt do it.
Now SONY is openly putting ADS on DISHTV, asking subscribers to quit TATA-SKY & join other DTH operators.

Most Viewed