Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2022, 11:51   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

It should work unless they changed something in this generation. I have series 7 in cellular from Canada and had no issues configuring with Airtel e-sim.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 13:50   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi.

2. The Ultra is only available with GPS+Cellular. I need to be sure that an Ultra bought in the USA will work with an Indian e Sim. Also considering this whole new movement to 5G and all.

4. If indeed the Ultra bought in the US will work properly with an Indian e Sim then I have no hesitation is buying it there. If however, there is even an iota of doubt, I will definitely want to buy it in India itself.

Would love to get some solid information on this please.

Thanks!
I have bought Apple Watch 8 from USA and it is working fine with Airtel eSIM.
Selective is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:31   #168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It should work unless they changed something in this generation. I have series 7 in cellular from Canada and had no issues configuring with Airtel e-sim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
I have bought Apple Watch 8 from USA and it is working fine with Airtel eSIM.
Thank you both. This is a good confirmation which enables me to make a more informed decision about the Ultra. Incidentally I also went to the local Apple store today and asked them the same question. They said that an Ultra purchased in the US, should work with an Indian e Sim. But that they haven't got any ‘confirmation’ of this fact from either Apple or from their Franchisee Head Office. So there still appears to be some shadow of doubt in their heads.

The local Apple store also said that they are able to offer around a max of 4000Rs off on Purchase of the Apple Watch Ultra and this offer is on HDFC Card. They also clearly said, delivery will only be in 5-6 weeks - mid November to be exact.

I have been checking on smartbuy on hdfc bank. There the offer is 5X points for purchases OR 5% cashback. But sadly the Ultra isn't available there at all. (see screenshots)

By contrast, the Apple India webstore offers guaranteed free delivery by Oct 28. And the offer is 7% cashback on purchases via HDFC card, up to a maximum of Rs 7000/- (see screenshot)

So it clearly looks as if Apple themselves are pushing consumers to buy direct and use their own e commerce facility.

Now coming to the other bits and pieces.

I have been using the Apple Watch Series 6 GPS+ Cellular for 2 years and a bit. However since I am very rarely without my iPhone I have never got the whole e Sim enablement piece done.

In all the excitement caused by this discussion though, I merrily went online/ sms etc and converted my Regular Vi SIM to an e Sim this morning, but without having done my homework properly.

The main reason I hadn’t done this e Sim thing earlier is that my primary number has been with Hutch/ Vodafone/ Vi for approximately 20 years.

And while Vodafone/ Vi did get e Sim functionality in 2021, they still didn’t have support for Apple Watch!

I had checked this with them first in Sep/ Oct 2020 at which time they didn’t even have the e Sim capability and then in Jan 2021 when they had just got e Sims but still had no support for Apple Watch. Then I checked with them again just today at their local store and sadly, I note that they still don’t offer this capability! When I asked them about their plans to add Apple Watch support they half-heartedly said ‘maybe by Jan 2023’. This still comes across to me as a very iffy answer.

But then you see, I had already hastily converted my Vi physical sim to an e sim. This is now a total waste. So it is true what they say about ‘Act in haste and repent at leisure.’

Now what Vodafone do actually do pretty nicely, is their International Roaming piece, by offering a totally seamless roaming experience with a large number of worldwide networks and at very fair prices. Apart from this, considering my 20 years of good track record with Vodafone, I do enjoy a rather good post-paid credit limit. This is why I haven’t ported my primary number out to Airtel or Jio so far.

Now I am wondering what to do. If I buy the Apple Watch Ultra, I shall absolutely have to start using its Cellular capabilities. And for maximum efficiency and utility value, I would obviously want my primary number to be linked to that Apple Watch rather than link my Secondary number to it.

As of now, it seems that the only option I have is to port out to either Airtel or Jio.

The questions now are;
a. Which, between these two, will offer the best possible coverage across India - urban, rural, mountains and all?
b. Who has the better value of International Roaming Packs?
c. Whose International Connectivity is better?
d. Which of these will ensure that I continue to enjoy a large credit limit?

I would gladly welcome any inputs and thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
The quintessential Apple Watch thread-e1d67d4467474905aa923ff0daed4f17.png  

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-6b2a48aa394b4a09b67a432ec7072496.png  

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-25ef777817ea4662b17203f0489b2426.png  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 10:38   #169
BHPian

Great to hear your story

I too use a smart watch to monitor my BP on the go. The Samsung Galaxy watch 4 series onwards have BP measurement feature enabled in only a few countries. But it's very easy to install it on countries where it is disabled. The watch has to be calibrated once in 3 weeks with a BO machine. The readings are fairly accurate.
Rajamass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 10:56   #170

Quote:
As of now, it seems that the only option I have is to port out to either Airtel or Jio.

The questions now are;
a. Which, between these two, will offer the best possible coverage across India - urban, rural, mountains and all?
d. Which of these will ensure that I continue to enjoy a large credit limit?

I would gladly welcome any inputs and thoughts on this.
Thanks!
Hi Shankar, great to know Apple Watch helped you. I recently decided to jump on the Apple's bandwagon. Here are a few things that might help:
  • The Apple Watch cellular versions from US does support 3 out of the 4 4g bands used by Airtel and Jio in India.
  • Coverage wise Airtel and Jio are pretty much neck to neck in India with a tiny advantage for Airtel.
  • My primary sim has been Airtel, and the international roaming has been seemless so far without any connectivity issues (not aware of VFM compared to competition).
  • This may not be relevant to you, but Jio provides Apple Watch esim for both Prepaid and Postpaid users, whereas Airtel only gives Apple Watch esim for Postpaid users, (which I'm not a fan of as I'm a Prepaid user and don't want to become a Postpaid user).
  • No point of thinking about 5g in a Smart Watch, as it is still very battery intensive and will take a few generations before tiny devices on battery start supporting it.
StrikerK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 11:09   #171

Please do not buy cellular versions from USA. I had bought one like that for my friend and we could not use it in Singapore. The cellular versions are tied to telco operators. This was for apple watch 4 or 5 series. Please check the support pages clearly (https://www.apple.com/sg/watch/cellular/).
Old 5th October 2022, 13:12   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandahasa View Post
Please do not buy cellular versions from USA. I had bought one like that for my friend and we could not use it in Singapore. The cellular versions are tied to telco operators. This was for apple watch 4 or 5 series. Please check the support pages clearly (https://www.apple.com/sg/watch/cellular/).
Thanks. But will this still apply? Considering that the Ultra only comes with GPS+ Cellular. And it is being sold direct on Apple USA and on Amazon USA with absolutely no mention of any telco operator tie up. These will surely be ‘unlocked’ (if such a concept exists for Apple Watch) and thus useable anywhere in the world, won’t they?
Old 5th October 2022, 13:56   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandahasa View Post
The watches are not tied to cellular operator. Different watch versions support certain LTE/4G bands, you have make sure that those bands are support by your cellular operator. I have got apple watch from abroad and it work fine with Airtel and Jio both.

Quote:
Thanks. But will this still apply? Considering that the Ultra only comes with GPS+ Cellular. And it is being sold direct on Apple USA and on Amazon USA with absolutely no mention of any telco operator tie up. These will surely be ‘unlocked’ (if such a concept exists for Apple Watch) and thus useable anywhere in the world, won’t they?
You need to check for exact model no of the watch(it would be something like Axxxx) and see which all LTE/4G bands it support and if those bands are supported by your cellular operator or not.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 5th October 2022 at 13:59.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 15:50   #174
BHPian

I have a slightly different point of view on getting things from abroad. I would get only those exclusive things from abroad when I see value but not expect those to be launched in India in foreseeable future, if I can handle the after sales service risks.

If something is launching almost around the same time and maybe 10-15% more expensive, I would rather buy it in India, with the premise that the price premium that I am paying is going to have a multiplier effect on our economy, and the delta tax that goes to the government will be used for the country.

That's just how I think, and respect other people who think otherwise.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 16:07   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I he same time and maybe 10-15% more expensive, I would rather buy it in India, with the premise that the price premium that I am paying is going to have a multiplier effect on our economy, and the delta tax that goes to the government will be used for the country.

That's just how I think, and respect other people who think otherwise.
That is an altruistic view! In this sense I guess you’re just a better person than many of us others.

In the case of this Apple Watch Ultra the price equivalent in the US is 65500 vs the India price of 89900.

Here are two interesting articles on the general tax component and prices both in India and the world at large.

https://m.timesofindia.com/gadgets-n...w/94306447.cms

https://toomanyadapters.com/cheapest...apple-devices/
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:15   #176
BHPian

I have an Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS) and I used it for a year and half. After that switched to the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar and have not looked back since. Gives me all the data that my Apple Watch gave me plus 10 days of working life (including GPS Use) per charge. I dont fancy having an eSim on my watch and don't see myself switch back to an Apple Watch unless there is something that the Apple Watch can do, which the Garmin cannot. My 2 cents.
krishsreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:48   #177
Senior - BHPian

Had a proper play session with the Apple Watch Ultra at Apptronix, Phoenix Mills, Lower Parel. I believe this is one of the few places where they have a demonstration piece in case anyone from Mumbai wants to check it out. No stocks available, expected timeline is the end of October with no idea of how many will come for sale. The Ultra can also be be booked for 1000 rupees with a guarantee of delivery as per orders placed. They said they have received 20 bookings at the moment.

The Ultra - superb on its own! If I were to buy an Apple Watch it would have to be the Ultra, after seeing this one nothing else would do from the line up. One doesn’t have to be a mountaineer or deep sea diver to see the benefits of this watch over the others in the line up.

The size is just perfect, not too big or small (I am used to big watches). It feels nearly weightless on the wrist, like wearing nothing at all. The screen is perfect, bright, everything pops, the buttons and rotating crown feel tactile, easy and comfortable to use, definitely more comfortable/prominent than on the Series 8 (compared the 8 side by side). Add to this the louder speakers and the extended battery life, it’s a no brainer for even an “ordinary” person who wants bigger, better, uncommon and more practical usage in life. For all this you have to pay more, nothing “ultra” comes without having to pay an “ultra” price.

I don’t like any of the straps which come standard with the Ultra. It’s the Silver Milanese Loop for me, I am absolutely sure about the strap not the watch

Remember I said at the beginning - “if I were to buy an Apple watch” that’s where I am stuck. Not sure if I really want it, want it, if you know what I mean . It didn’t give me the buy immediately vibe for now.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 18:22   #178
BHPian

Quote:
The questions now are;

Thanks!
b. International roaming packages are improving over the years, hope this improves further in the upcoming years.
c. I am using Airtel international (mostly USA) roaming for last 5+ years which has been working flawlessly.

PS: For Apple Watch, cellular roaming isn’t supported outside your carrier network.
Selective is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 18:28   #179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
b.
c. I am using Airtel international (mostly USA) roaming for last 5+ years which has been working flawlessly.

PS: For Apple Watch, cellular roaming isn’t supported outside your carrier network.
Thanks!
Corollary Queries:
a. Are the Airtel Roaming Packs cost effective and fair priced?
b. This means that when roaming Internationally, I shall have to always have my iPhone with me so that it remains tethered to my Apple Watch GPS+ Cellular via Bluetooth throughout. Is this understanding correct?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th October 2022 at 18:28. Reason: Spelling
Old 5th October 2022, 18:35   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Corollary Queries:
a. Are the Airtel Roaming Packs cost effective and fair priced?
b. This means that when roaming Internationally, I shall have to always have my iPhone with me so that it remains tethered to my Apple Watch GPS+ Cellular via Bluetooth throughout. Is this understanding correct?
a. Airtel and Jio are pricing their packages close to each other, so you won’t lose much if you pick any of them.
b. You are right. And just for clarification, as per my understanding, this is applicable to all the Apple Watches irrespective of where you buy it from.
Selective is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed