Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 10:23   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The quintessential Apple Watch thread

I had that invisible tempered glass and it saved my screen just last week. Now to gently pry this off and install another. Problem is you dont get 'this quality' in India. My other watch is the supremely rugged Casio GSHOCK Carbon. Apple should try this design once
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Also, please do not get any tempered glass as it mars the looks of the watch. I got it when I had my previous watch a couple of years ago and immediately discarded it in a few days. Since then, we never use any protection for the watch and all is good.
Attached Thumbnails
The quintessential Apple Watch thread-img_9958.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 8th September 2022 at 10:25.
Old 8th September 2022, 10:25   #137
BHPian

I still can't digest the fact that a $799 watch has only 36 hour battery life.
Battery life is the biggest reason stopping me from going to an Apple watch. I'm happy with my FitBit. The missus not so with her Series 7 which needs to be charged invariably every day.
I'll hold off till I get a 72 hour battery life on an Apple watch in regular mode.
Old 9th September 2022, 00:03   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I had that invisible tempered glass and it saved my screen just last week. Now to gently pry this off and install another. Problem is you dont get 'this quality' in India. My other watch is the supremely rugged Casio GSHOCK Carbon. Apple should try this design once
Sorry to know that your glass on watch broke.

Tempered glass cover is never transparent. It is a bulky piece that sits on the watch face. I personally never liked it as the whole point of enjoying an Apple Watch becomes redundant. I have been wearing AW from many years and never faced an incident where the glass broke despite brushing against surfaces accidentally.

But, nice to know your tempered glass cover protected your AW.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 08:16   #139
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Ref my Apple Watch addiction and some general reasoning.

(It is a bit of a rant but it is helping me to clear my head by writing down the thoughts…)

I am on the Apple Eco System since 2010. I only went for an Apple Watch in Mid 2019 with my 44mm Series 4 which I bought in Australia considering I loved the form factor and the multiple functionalities not least the multiple faces and the fact that it was 12000 Rs cheaper than it was in India. I generally tend to buy the outgoing model rather than the incoming one so as to catch a little price advantage.

In November 2019, this Series 4 watch and its heart monitoring system was the primary trigger which warned me of some serious health hazards and issues. Which led to timely treatment and one level of lifestyle change. Without any exaggeration whatsoever, it literally was the trigger that saved my life and it has become my inseparable wrist companion ever since.

In 2020 I went for the Series 6 also in 44mm because it had some upgraded features like blood oxygen sensor which was important to me because of the overall world wide Covid pandemic. It cost about 52900 or something in India for the 44mm gps and cellular version. Around 10K more than what it would have cost in Singapore or Dubai or USA or Australia. But I wasnt travelling at all then hence had to buy at the inflated India price.

The older series 4 went to my Dad who also likes gadgets. We normally keep upgrading our machines every couple of years and the previous generation of machine tends to go to someone in the family. I did not upgrade to Series 7 because it did not offer enough of a differentiation in terms of features compared to Series 6.

I shall need to study more about Series 8 and do a proper compare with my Series 6 before I buy. However I am also considering the Series 8 because Ive given my Series 6 a few hard knocks in the last 2 years and somehow it has managed to acquire some condensation in the top portion of the dial. Dont know how.

A couple of general features of the Apple Watch that I really like - the ability to control your paired phone camera using the watch as a remote. Very handy when taking those on-the-road selfies of yourself and your car by mounting the phone on a tripod and composing the photo and triggering it with the watch. And of course the features relating to monitoring myself in terms of activity including golf and all.

Saying this, Ive never used the e-Sim/ Cellular functionality and will likely be perfectly happy with the non-Cellular variant. This is because I generally tend to keep my phone with me most of the time. This is going to only increase because I am planning to make my iPhone Mini into my primary general use device and my iPhone Pro Max 12 as my primary photography device. I guess I ll leave the watch paired to the iPhone 12 Pro Max for the photography aspect.

The one thing I do like about the Cellular version of Apple watch is purely aesthetic - the nice red ring on the crown. But this is not a sufficient reason for purchase.

I am no longer interested in the big form factor/ size of the Apple Watch. So no more 44mm and 45mm and 49mm and all. Basically despite all the ruggedness and outdoorsy stuff, I am not really convinced yet about this ‘Pro’ or ‘Ultra’ variant - I like the GPS thing and Satellite stuff but lets face it, I am not an aspiring Sir Edmund Hillary. I dont really go so far off the beaten track, much as I’d like to think of myself as an ‘Explorer Type’.

So when I do upgrade I will buy the functionally strong but normal variant but that which has the smaller case size. This is also because I have re-discovered my love for my mechanical and automatic and dress watches and the Apple watch, while it is also a device to tell the time, it is much more important to me as a wearable, accurate, health and activity monitoring device. And I will (at the risk of being considered a weirdo), wear two watches on occasion, so as to give vent to my passion for watches as outlined above.

I am keenly awaiting the Blood Glucose Monitoring feature and Blood Pressure feature in the Apple Watch. I have taken it literally that the Future of my Health is on my wrist.

I would love to hear more points of view from others here and help clarify my thoughts further. Thanks!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th September 2022 at 08:42. Reason: Additions
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 18:56   #140
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I went again to spend time at the apple shop because I am seriously considering the apple watch series 8 and the Ultra.
Upon wearing the 41mm Apple watch 8 it is just too small for my wrist.
Now when I tried the 45mm series 8 it fits like my present 44mm series 6 does. But the differential in terms of technology and features, between series 6 and series 8 isn’t much to write home about.
Then I tried the Apple Watch Ultra. And that can, quite honestly, become one’s only, all purpose go anywhere watch.
Yes it is big but it looks better on my wrist than the 41mm one does. And this Ultra feels tough and purpose built like my Thar or Gypsy do. It is rather like the Modern ‘Jeep’ or ‘Landrover’ of the Watch world.
The price in India is Rs 89900 and with a 7% discount on HDFC cards one pays about Rs 83000. On the HDFC Smartbuy site they are offering some Rs 6000 discount OR 5X the points based on all purchases above 41500 Rupees. The issue is that while they say they will give 5X points, they will cap the number of points per day at a max of 10,000 points so its like giving with one hand and taking away with the other. And in any case the Apple Watch Ultra is not even available on Smartbuy as yet.
In Dubai the Ultra costs 3800 AED on Noon.com which is about 83000 Rs and this is the best deal there. There is very limited stock. The Ultra is not even available on Amazon UAE and it hasn't even reached Amazon Singapore or even Australia yet.
Then I looked at the price of the Ultra in USA on Amazon and it is 799 USD which, even if converted at 82 Rupees to the Dollar, comes to only 65000 Rupees. Thats a real massive difference in price.
So it is probably best to buy the Ultra in the US rather than anywhere else in the World.
See the size comparo picture below;
The new Apple Watch Ultra, my 2 year old Series 6 in 44mm and the new Series 8 in 41mm.
Attached Thumbnails
The quintessential Apple Watch thread-0cabe57f1c3d4cec91531c96e5e6de6b.jpeg  

The quintessential Apple Watch thread-8dfc2367afc1480e99d179519ac91203.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th September 2022 at 19:10. Reason: Add pic
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:18   #141
BHPian

The cheapest place outside the US to buy Apple products is Thailand. The Apple Watch Ultra is 31,900 THB which works out to ~INR 69k. My advice to friends these days is to hold on to Apple purchases and upgrade phone, watch, mac etc at one shot, by travelling to Thailand. The Thailand trip will work out free
Silverfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 23:56   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The price in India is Rs 89900 and with a 7% discount on HDFC cards one pays about Rs 83000. On the HDFC Smartbuy site they are offering some Rs 6000 discount OR 5X the points based on all purchases above 41500 Rupees. The issue is that while they say they will give 5X points, they will cap the number of points per day at a max of 10,000 points so its like giving with one hand and taking away with the other. And in any case the Apple Watch Ultra is not even available on Smartbuy as yet.
Like you, I love everything Apple but, there are some products which are outrightly ridiculously priced like the Apple Max Headphones (Which like it rightly deserved fizzled out without even a whimper)

And, now the Ultra version of Apple Watch- I can confidently tell you this will also fade into oblivion within a year. As nobody will pay $799 for this product.

Don't get me wrong. I used 3 Apple watches (Currently have Apple 6 and Wifey has Apple 7 watch) and I use it extensively and it's like an appendage to my body.

But, heck I am not that stupid not to see where they are trying to fleece customers.

I may have not paid attention. Why is Apple Watch Ultra worth $799?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
The cheapest place outside the US to buy Apple products is Thailand. The Apple Watch Ultra is 31,900 THB which works out to ~INR 69k. My advice to friends these days is to hold on to Apple purchases and upgrade phone, watch, mac etc at one shot, by travelling to Thailand. The Thailand trip will work out free
Wow. I wasn't aware that Thailand was cheapest after USA. All this while, I thought it was Dubai.

Who doesn't want a free trip to Thailand. I would have gone there for sure to buy in bulk.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st October 2022 at 00:14.
Old 1st October 2022, 00:04   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I may have not paid attention. Why is Apple Watch Ultra worth $799?
Hey Mobike, I am seriously considering this as my first Apple Watch because I like the looks plus the extra battery life and extra everything. It will also be something not everyone will be wearing which is another plus in my book. Will check this out as soon as possible and decide if I want to enter the smartwatch world.

Meanwhile check out the review by my man Flossy Carter - I really, really like the man’s panache and love White Shoes

Let me know if you change your mind about the Ultra and I will let you know if/when I buy it. If I do get it I will also get the Silver Milanese Loop strap.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 1st October 2022 at 00:13.
Old 1st October 2022, 00:24   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hey Mobike, I am seriously considering this as my first Apple Watch because I like the looks plus the extra battery life and extra everything. It will also be something not everyone will be wearing which is another plus in my book. Will check this out as soon as possible and decide if I want to enter the smartwatch world.

Let me know if you change your mind about the Ultra and I will let you know if/when I buy it. If I do get it I will also get the Silver Milanese Loop strap.

Cheers
I wasn't aware that you don't use the Apple Watch. It is one of the most awesome product of Apple and probably (Heck, not probably, IT IS) the best smartwatch in the world.

Just look at strides they made in its sales over the years. If I am not wrong they sell $30-$35 Billion worth of Apple Watches each year. That is a serious number and that is just one product line.

Credit where its due. I have been using it from last 4+ years and have packed all my expensive wristwatches into the cupboard and never removed them ever.

It's a phenomenal piece of technology and I use my Apple Watch 6 (Non-Cellular) for

Taking calls
Receiving and texting back
Use Siri for many aspects like weather, make a call etc
Extensive use of Activity App
Apple Music
when I am driving, I only use Apple Maps (As my BMW and other OEMS support Apple more than Android) and Maps are displayed on my Apple Watch with turn by turn directions along with vibrations
Animated Memes
Animated Personal Pics for Faces on Watch

I can go on and on with features which makes Apple Watch truly a piece of tech marvel.

I get 24 hours of battery life and gets charged in less than 2 hours back to 100%

What is Ultra going to give me extra that I spend 2X amount?

Trust me, this product will not be very successful like their regular line-up as even in US $800 is a lot of money and it will sell way lesser (my prediction)

But, if you want to venture into Apple Watches and have the moolah to spare, I would highly recommend it.

There is no real excuse NOT to get what you "really" want.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st October 2022 at 00:26.
Old 1st October 2022, 00:34   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't aware that you don't use the Apple Watch. It is one of the most awesome product of Apple and probably (Heck, not probably, IT IS) the best smartwatch in the world.

Credit where its due. I have been using it from last 4+ years and have packed all my expensive wristwatches into the cupboard and never removed them ever.
I have never used any smart watch, period. Saw the 8 when I went to check out the 14 Pro Max, found it to be too small. The size is another reason I like the Ultra. It seemed very confusing to operate at that time. I have been going through many, many reviews of this watch and now I don’t find it too complicated

Like you, I too love watches so the main reason why I haven’t ventured into this world is if I buy a smartwatch, when will I wear all my other watches

Let see how it goes, will revert on this soonest.

You almost got me when you wrote you have cancelled your 14 Pro Max order. Cheers to Oregon in October.

Last edited by Cyborg : 1st October 2022 at 00:38.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 00:53   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Actually No, cheapest place to buy Apple watch is HK, even cheaper then US, because in US you have to pay taxes on top of the listed price.

Ultra is 6399 HKD which comes to around 66500, including taxes.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 01:17   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have never used any smart watch, period. Saw the 8 when I went to check out the 14 Pro Max, found it to be too small. The size is another reason I like the Ultra. It seemed very confusing to operate at that time. I have been going through many, many reviews of this watch and now I don’t find it too complicated
I would still recommend not to squander the dough and get the regular Apple Watch 8 45 MM size (which is a size that I use and my wife wears a 41 mm) and its pretty big and fits most thick wristed folks.

It's a great watch and you can spend the money on straps and other stuff to make things lively.

I change straps twice a week and have around 2 dozen of them.

Quote:
Like you, I too love watches so the main reason why I haven’t ventured into this world is if I buy a smartwatch, when will I wear all my other watches
Oh yeah. Men have limited choices to enjoy. Watches and Shoes used to be my go-to collectibles.

Unfortunately, after the Apple Watch, all my watches are lying unused and will probably gift it to some young folks in my family because, I know for sure that I will never go back to a traditional watch ever.

Quote:
You almost got me when you wrote you have cancelled your 14 Pro Max order. Cheers to Oregon in October.
You probably know me a little by now. I like to throw a googly once in a while. LOL!!!
Old 1st October 2022, 06:33   #148
BHPian

Quote:
and will probably gift it to some young folks in my family because, I know for sure that I will never go back to a traditional watch ever.
Ha Ha! Please tell me the trick to make young folks to accept traditional watches. My kids have flatly refused all my enticements to get them to use my mint condition traditional watches.
Old 1st October 2022, 09:11   #149
BANNED

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2022 at 10:25.
akhilesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st October 2022, 11:26   #150
BHPian

I have some money saved from not buying the iPhone 14 plus and instead going for the iPhone 13, and want to use that on what would be my first apple watch. I am mostly interested in the health aspects of it, especially the ECG feature. But the hypochondriac that I am would mean that I would be checking my ECG every 5 minutes. And since this is my first try, I am thinking of getting an SE. If I feel the need to upgrade I can give the SE to my wife and get a regular one. If not I can still give it to her and go back to my dress watches. Does that sound like a good plan?

Also what do I really miss compared to the 7/8 series if I settle for the SE? And how is the series 3, the cheapest of the lot, different from the SE?

Most Viewed