Team-BHP - The quintessential Apple Watch thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The quintessential Apple Watch thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/203440-quintessential-apple-watch-thread.html)

Mods: I am aware that there is a fitness band thread, however the apple watch is beyond a fitness band.

Most of the Apple products are very intuitive, they are known for their usability and needs absolutely zero learning curve however Apple watch is the only product that requires a learning curve.

I like many bought the apple watch because it was cool :D . On the second day I realized that all it was doing was capturing my total steps and my heart beat, It was also reminding me to breath and stand up :uncontrol

That's when I had a sinking feeling that I might have bought a wrong gadget. I also checked on OLX and I see a lot of these watches being sold within a month or two of buying(I am assuming the ads are speaking the truth about the usage). Things which my apple watch was doing out of the box was something my wife's MI fit band 3 was also capable of doing(except answering calls). I immediately knew that I am missing something. That's when I started watching youtube videos about how to get the most out of your Apple watch.

Most of these videos were from those "me too" youtubers who had a video out on every topic and had zero value to me as an owner of the apple watch. That's when I thought to harness the power of this group.

This is going to be that one thread which will teach you how to make most out of your apple watch.

long term users please pitch in and help the creation of a comprehensive guide on how to maximise the potential of your apple watch.

Pramod

I would be in the same boat as you.

I have a Series 1 which I have been using since couple of years now and all I use it for is reading messages, and to track my walk ( distance).
I was all pumped when I got it and used it to talk while I stopped at the side of the road while riding, I didn't have to remove the helmet to use my phone that way and the clarity was surprisingly good with all the noise around.

Now a days I just wear it for the time, what a watch was meant for:D

On the other hand something I realized and started to avoid after I started to wear this watch, people judge you (monetary wise) just because you have a watch like this and deal with you accordingly. Just an observation that I have experienced multiple times.

Not an Apple watch user. Had a LG G-Watch R-Android smart watch. I was very excited that I could see call/WhatsApp and other notifications on the watch itself-In addition to the fitness aspects.

It was all great for 4-5 months, I slowly moved to a mode where most message notifications were muted on the phone itself and the last thing I wanted was for it to pop up on my watch. Slowly, started using the smartness only as a step counter and to dazzle people with fancy Watch Faces. One day the battery gave up and I did not bother to repair/replace it.

Back to my old trusted Casio G-Shock. Don't think I will ever buy a smart watch again. On the Apple Watch itself, I felt it was a poor looking device from a company whose designs and user experience generally make you go wow (no offense intended).

I can see from the replies above that the issue does run deeper and I am not just the only one who bought these because it looked cool, being an early adopter(I am definitely not one) has its ups and downs, there are people who swear by the usefulness of an Apple Watch, if it had made it to a series 4, then I guess there is something that definitely is special about it besides being a product from Apple.

I am going to post videos which talks about features of the watch people don’t usually realise.

Btw I had installed an app that tells me to drink water every 2-3 hours.:uncontrol

Pramod

Not an Apple Watch user, but I've been using the Sony Smartwatch 3 for past 2 years.
The most useful and practical use for the watch is that I can sync a playlist (created by me) on the Sony Music app (previously Walkman app) on my Sony Phone (Xperia XZ) with the watch. Once the playlist is synced with the watch, I can play the playlist on my Bluetooth headset directly from the watch (phone not needed). The fact that the watch has inbuilt GPS and the RunKeeper app works in the watch independent of the phone makes this a very useful feature - I go running / walking 4 - 5 days a week and I am able to do it leaving my phone at home (no calls / messages interrupting my workout)!
I believe similar function must be there in the Apple Watch; the Sony Smartwatch 3 is too old now and Sony seems to have given up its Smartwatch plans.
In addition to this feature, the other function I find interesting, other than the step count, is the Outlook calendar syncing with my phone (I have kept the Outlook watch face as the default watch face) and the daily schedule showing up as colourful rims on my watch face. Mostly a fancy feature, rather than of any significant practical use.
Needless to say, I never got bored with the watch (Sony Smartwatch 3 is not really a 'looker') and continue to use it on most days.

I've been a user and fan of apple watch. Now the cellular edition also receives call even after your phone has switched off. Its useful in office when your phone is placed on your desk and you get notified for calls. You don't have to carry your phone every time. Notifications while gymming are pretty handy as well.

I have an Apple watch. Bought it about 4-5 years ago. To be honest I am underwhelmed by it. I only use it whilst I am out on my bicycle doing long tours. It is sort of handy then, just so you can keep track of txt and messages whilst on the go.

I am particularly unimpressed by the battery life. Especially when you use all those features you would be lucky to make it till night time. Applications such as Strava, run down the battery in 3-4 hours, especially when it is a bit nippy. (So I actually run Strava on my iPhone whilst on the bike, which sort of defeats the purpose of strapping on an iWatch.)

My regular watches are on my wrist 24/7, something just not possible with this watch as it needs charging a lot. It does have a better battery life then my Garmin Sports watch, which in the end turned out to be pretty useless, battery life wise that is.

I will stick to mechanical, automatic and quartz watches. So much nicer to look at too.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 4490315)
Most of the Apple products are very intuitive, they are known for their usability and needs absolutely zero learning curve however Apple watch is the only product that requires a learning curve.

I agree with you. I'm a long-time Mac, iPad and iPhone user. But franky, despite being intuitive to use, you should have a need for it. Most people I know of use the Apple Watch only as a fancy watch!

Quote:

I like many bought the apple watch because it was cool :D . On the second day I realized that all it was doing was capturing my total steps and my heart beat, It was also reminding me to breath and stand up :uncontrol
Luckily, thanks to my history with the Mi band and a cheap Fitbit (non heart sensor one), I soon realised that it's not for me - certainly not at the price point they are sold at.

Quote:

This is going to be that one thread which will teach you how to make most out of your apple watch.
I'm sure there will be many who would find this useful. :thumbs up Also those on the fence for the purchase can make a batter decision based on the information in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 4490321)
Now a days I just wear it for the time, what a watch was meant for:D

Haha, however, I must say that the watch looks really good and premium. Not a watch guy myself, but if at all I have to use a wrist watch, I'm sure it would be a smart watch for starters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 4490474)
if it had made it to a series 4, then I guess there is something that definitely is special about it besides being a product from Apple.

As long as there is a demand for such products, the company will keep on improving on them. The Series 4 is really nice, especially with the GPS and ability to take calls and messages without being connected to a phone. Further, the Apple Ecosystem as a whole just simply works, so that is also there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparameswaran (Post 4490640)
The fact that the (Sony) watch has inbuilt GPS and the RunKeeper app works in the watch independent of the phone makes this a very useful feature - I go running / walking 4 - 5 days a week and I am able to do it leaving my phone at home (no calls / messages interrupting my workout)!

Thats an accurate use case for a smart watch. But I think only the latest Apple Watch gets GPS. The base / entry level ones are not equipped with it.

Quote:

Mostly a fancy feature, rather than of any significant practical use.
True, but then we buy cars for the features, looks, power despite being happy to use car one segment below. :D

Apple watch is especially convenient if you have an iPhone to pair with it. The way it pairs with the watch is a sight to behold.

I have decided to list a few items that i have been able to learn so far.

1. All notifications, be it calls, messages, various app notifications come first on your watch, a fraction of second earlier. This is very helpful since it eliminates the need to look at your phone. My screen time has been significantly reduced now(almost 40%, but what is the benefit?)

2. It eliminates the need for notification sounds altogether as you know now when a notification arrives, it is a life saver especially when you are among multiple people and a message arrives, while everyone scrambles to look at their phone, You can pull up your smug face cause you know weather its you or someone else :D

3. I have been consistently drinking water, standing up and taking a walk to meet my daily targets. I know a simple fitness tracker can do this but the finesse with which an apple watch does it, cannot be expressed in a word. People at work are looking at me rather strangely when i getup from my desk for no reason at all. (fan boy talk, I know :uncontrol)

4. This is a life saver for lazy people like me, I do not have to get up every time I get a call/notification, while my phone is charging at a wall outlet far ...far...away from me

5. As a bonus it tells me time.

I will add to the list as and when i discover more.

PS: Apple watch is another reason why user might get a heart attack, I had a mini heart attack, when I noticed a small scratch on the screen.

Pramod

People who think that an apple watch will replace their phones are not right when it comes to expectations.

It pairs with your phone well, but you cannot use it to replace your phone. The 3G version allows you to go for jogging without carrying your phone, but if you decide to answer a call, you are going to run out of your battery in an hour.

App developers have not yet optimised their apps for the apple watch, The watch doesn't have a dedicated app store, Apps like savaan has been optimised to work well on your watch.

Typing on your watch:

Its the single most irritating thing, you cannot type, you have to draw alphabets, by the time you reply to the wats app message your boss has sent you will be fired :D

Charging the watch:

Another device to be charged :Frustrati. It charges using inductive charging technology, if you ruin the charger cable then you are done. It takes about 2 hours to fully charge your watch and a full charge lasts 2 days. My Ambrane power bank doesn't detect the watch being charged and gets switched off automatically, so you need an always on power supply to charge the watch. With an hyper active toddler its impossible to leave the watch on charging unattended. Last time she got hold of my 8 year old Tommy Hilfiger and ensured she dropped it on the face of the watch. The glass shattered with that heart wrenching sound of shattering glass, Tommy offered me 800 rupees as exchange and did not agree to replacing just the glass alone.

Bluetooth connectivity:

The watch is only connected with the phone in Bluetooth range, after that it just drops off the grid, the biggest downside to the Bluetooth connectivity is my phone used to auto connect with the car stereo, now I have to manually do that every time I am in the car.

Accessories for the watch:

If you want to buy bands, Aliexpress is your best bet. However with the increase in the number of drop shippers amazon has every type of things you can buy on Aliexpress with a very tiny margin attached to it. Don't be fooled, most of these things still come from aliexpress and the time taken might be more, so its better to see if it has a prime delivery. Apple products are sleek products, any kind of bump guards make it look like those cheap Chinese replicas, I bought one from amazon and it looks like crap, Its so flimsy that it just jumps out of the watch and you wont even notice. Get a screen guard along with your purchase if you can, Watch accessories are not present anywhere and apple shops sell them at a premium, for example a screen guard is 2k at a apple premium reseller.

Pramod

Two important functions that I want to discuss today.

1.The watch crown can be used to adjust volume while playing music/ videos on your phone. This is a blessing especially when you are in a gym/working on your car/Bike and would like to listen to music while you don't want to carry your phone around.

This comes as a blessing especially when you are washing your car and would like to zone out from the rest of the world. I regularly use this feature while my phone is kept at a safe distance in Bluetooth range. Prerequisite for this is that you have a Bluetooth headset.

If you have a wired headset you can put your phone safely in you pocket and use the watch to control your basic playlist.

2.You can send a canned message from while declining calls from the watch. If you are watching a movie and a call came, you didn't have to pullout your phone from your jeans pocket to see who is calling.

Answering calls during a movie is the single biggest annoyance, but the apple watch(for that matter even my wife's Mi Fit band 2) can tell you who is calling. Not only that it can tell you who is calling, you can also send a message, both canned and personalized(if your fingers are the size of a toothpick :uncontrol) from the watch itself.

Pramod

When I first bought the Apple Watch Series3 I was able to read the full WhatsApp messages, but of late I only get an alert and the person's name. I have to get my phone out to read the messages. What's changed? Settings, synch, latest updates - everything have been tried. Planning to go to the Apple Store and discuss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4506886)
When I first bought the Apple Watch Series3 I was able to read the full WhatsApp messages, but of late I only get an alert and the person's name. I have to get my phone out to read the messages. What's changed? Settings, synch, latest updates - everything have been tried. Planning to go to the Apple Store and discuss!

This must be a setting issue with the notifications. I can still read the whatsapp messages on my watch.
FYI- both my iPhone and watch are with latest OSs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 4494758)

Bluetooth connectivity:

The watch is only connected with the phone in Bluetooth range, after that it just drops off the grid, the biggest downside to the Bluetooth connectivity is my phone used to auto connect with the car stereo, now I have to manually do that every time I am in the car.

The watch uses wifi as a fallback, incase the phone is not in bluetooth range. The AW can autoconnect with any 2.4GHz Wifi network, which has been used with the iPhone in the past. Manual connections are also possible from the settings menu.
Coming to autoconnections, it is the car stereo which attempts to connect with the last connected device automatically and not the other way around. It works for me with my portable, home and car system perfectly.

My favorite part is how easy it is to swap bands around. I have a black milanese loop, 2 leather bands and the Nike sport band. It may not be something i absolutely need, but it does manage to replace 2 or 3 watches, atleast for me. I had the old 1st gen as a hand me down which i didnt use as much, but the new series 4 is so much better, and looks pretty too 😂

I don't have to keep my phone on me while im at home. It is kept in some place, reducing my waste screen time. At Uni/work, i can check notifications without it being intrusive. The reminders to stand up, and excercise goals are a cherry on the cake.
I live in Melbourne, where weather is as unpredictable as possible. I need to check forecast atleast twice a day.
The complications face on the series 4 manages to show me all the information i need at one glance, without needing to even click. It does clutter the screen up, but it does the job.

I absolutely love my series 3 with cellular but i splurged and bought the stainless steep variant.
1. I can connect my bose headphones to the watch and listen to my music while i am out on a walk without needing to carry my phone. I dont miss important calls either.
2. The ceullular models have 16gb internal memory instead of 8 which means more of my music stays offline on ky watch.
3. I use Apple Pay all the time so much so that keeping a plastic card is secondary now. I still live the look on the face of the cashier when i simply touch my watch and it pays for my grocery. Its magic and its more secure payment method too.
4. May not be big for some but the ability to change watch faces is great and most of the watch faces are pretty great too. Its like having a new watch on your wrist everytime you change.
5. I also use the fitness features especially the gps and the wlevation tracking
6. Ofcourse notifications and the ability to respond to some of them from the wrist.
7. Heart rate sensor is pretty good especially because it tracks it all the time. I have beem notified by the watch when my heart rate was high even though i wasnt excercizing.
8. I also like how it reminds me to stand up every hours, quick deep breathing exercises and tracks my walks. The tactic engine is genius. Its like a gentle touch on the wrist.

I am there are more and i will add more when i remember.