Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 16:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Samsung finally unveils its foldable smartphone

Samsung has unveiled its new foldable smartphone.

Samsung finally unveils its foldable smartphone-sdc18_keynote_14737x400.jpg

Image source: Samsung

From New York Times:

Quote:
Foldable phones promise the screen of a small tablet in a pocket-sized device.

Justin Denison, a senior vice president of mobile product marketing, showed a prototype with a screen he said measured 7.3 inches (18.5 cm) diagonally.

Folded in two it appeared to resemble a thick phone.
Quote:
Google's head of Android UX, Glen Murphy, was also on stage with Samsung and said Google would work with the developer community to bring more features to the phone.

Samsung said it would be ready for mass production in the coming months.
Quote:
Analyst Bob O’Donnell with Technalysis Research said that while the bendable screen provided a wow factor, shoppers may not like the thickness of the folded phone or its price tag.
Source: New York Times

Samsung finally unveils its foldable smartphone-sdc18_keynote_15737x400.jpg

Image source: Samsung

From The Verge:

Quote:
“There’s a device inside here,” said Justin Denison, SVP of mobile product marketing. “And it is stunning.”

Denison then showed a device that folded out into a tablet and back up into a candybar-like form factor. The device includes a cover display that acts as a phone, and a main 7.3-inch tablet display.

Up to three apps will be able to run simultaneously, using something Samsung calls multi active window. Samsung says it will be able to start mass production of the Infinity Flex Display in a “matter of months,” according to Denison.
Quote:
Google is providing guidance for developers to start using existing features that are built into Android to support these foldable displays.
Quote:
Samsung isn’t the only phone maker working on foldable devices, though. Huawei reportedly plans to release a foldable handset next year. Lenovo and Xiaomi have also started teased their own prototypes, and LG is also working on flexible OLED displays and TVs that roll up into a box.
Source: The Verge

Samsung finally unveils its foldable smartphone-30ca98bd6410f29239ded71319f0ce83.jpg

Image source: Business Insider

From Business Insider:

Quote:
Many speculate that a foldable smartphone would give users an option to have a much bigger display. Many Samsung patents and prototypes suggest a device that opens and closes inward like a book, or closes down horizontally like a notepad.

Most Galaxy X concepts suggest a foldable phone would have a maximum screen size comparable to a tablet, where the display could be split into two panels that display different things or one big picture.
Quote:
Most smartphone manufacturers have spent years making devices thinner and lighter, but a foldable smartphone is more likely to heavier and bulkier to handle.

Currently, there is no indication of how a device with an actual foldable display would fare in terms of thickness. In terms of weight, such a device might be closer to a tablet rather than a smartphone.
Quote:
New display technologies tend to make smartphones more expensive.
Source: Business Insider

Last edited by ChiragM : 12th November 2018 at 16:24.
Old 13th November 2018, 08:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Samsung finally unveils its foldable smartphone

That is really something . Probably one of the biggest innovations we've seen in smartphones since the iPhone was introduced.

While I personally don't prefer screens that are too big, it's clear that's where the market is going. Almost everyone around me thinks that the bigger the screen, the better - especially the Samsung Note users.

I read somewhere that this demo phone was in a case, so the actual device will be considerably thinner than what we see here. Such devices are going to kill the PC & Laptop market even more; this one could greatly take away sales from tablets too.

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2018 at 08:42.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting!! 👍

Personally, I prefer a 5 inch display as it is easy to handle and carry ( pocket friendly).

One problem I foresee is with the life of flexible cable between foldable display.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:30   #4
BHPian

Quite innovative and novel. We all knew this was around the corner. Though on a personal note: I prefer small screens. Am just so happy with my iPhone SE. Rocket.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

I can see good use cases for this:

- I love to read; so this is an excellent form factor for reading and having a compact phone without having 2 devices
- I like taking notes in meetings. The Note 9 is too big (and weirdly, not big enough if you know what I mean!). Couple with a S-pen, this could solve the problem
- Better battery life?
- much better movie experience

I visualize using it as a regular candy bar smart phone and opening for reading, movies or note taking.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

With diminishing bezals, fitting much larger screen in small body is now possible. Current gen 6inch phones are easily fitting in one hand.

Foldable screen looks great! Curious to see where this innovation leads to.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a headsup - the foldable phone is already on the market; although not that durable and from a different local chinese firm. Shipping starts in December (if anyone has 1L inr to spare )

Specs - site 1
Specs & price (9k yuan) - site 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Such devices are going to kill the PC & Laptop market even more; this one could greatly take away sales from tablets too.
I seriously doubt that. We heard that when smartphones became mainstream; we heard it when tablets became mainstream and now these. At most it would get dented a bit maybe in the premium segments but otherwise, not at all.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th November 2018 at 11:42.
Old 13th November 2018, 14:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Many of us who use 5.5 or 6 inch smartphones, actually love the 5 inch form factor, but can't buy one, because of some of our use cases like gaming, videos, document creation etc.

This form factor is absolutely great - a 5 incher for most situations and double the real estate when you need it. But, I hope they sort out all ergonomic considerations before a market launch, although Samsungs have tended to scare me for a long time now, for their Iffy UI!

I'll be waiting more for the Xiaomi and OnePlus offerings in this segment, than Sammys.
Old 13th November 2018, 14:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Many of us who use 5.5 or 6 inch smartphones, actually love the 5 inch form factor, but can't buy one, because of some of our use cases like gaming, videos, document creation etc.
And because they just don't make them that size anymore, at least not with any decent spec. I love smaller phones too, but now am stuck with a large screen phone that I'm forced to carry around in my bag because it feels too awkward in my pocket. I just couldn't find one that had the required specs in a smaller size. But that's understandable, the trend is bigger and the vast majority of people consume a lot of video and need the bigger screens. This looks like a good solution.

Quote:
...this one could greatly take away sales from tablets too.
People still buy tablets? I mean, I have a tablet too and I haven't used it in years. It's either the laptop or the phone. I'm wondering if tablets are selling anyway.
Old 13th November 2018, 15:05   #10
BHPian

Bravo Samsung! I feel that lately Samsung has been on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to smartphones. They were the first to introduce the curved display, a heart rate sensor and many other niceties. On top of the plethora of features, Samsung devices don't slow down with time anymore. Strong brand image, awesome features, first class build quality, good pricing and new innovations like under-display cameras and foldable displays! I've got to admit, the future is looking really bright for Samsung.
Old 13th November 2018, 15:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful!

I love bigger phones to browse, watch movies and work on images. I'm not a gamer but it'll be wonderful for that too. No wonder that my last 3 phones including the current one is a Galaxy Note.
But I don't own a tab because it's too difficult to carry another device. This suits users like me perfectly.

If it can be really done in a matter of months, I feel Samsung should introduce this from Note10 itself.

Not sure it'll kill the laptop market, it'll surely give a big blow to the tablet market.

As usual Samsung are ahead of Apple when it comes to introducing new technologies like face unlock, iris scanner, wireless charging, waterproof phones, Spen and now this

I'm sure this will be patented But I'm not sure when other companies can start using this in their devices.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

maybe clamshell phones will be back in business? i love those days of clamshell phones - open to answer, close to hang up
Old 13th November 2018, 18:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Quite innovative and novel. We all knew this was around the corner. Though on a personal note: I prefer small screens. Am just so happy with my iPhone SE. Rocket.
Agreed. I am the biggest proponent of small screens around me. Used to own a iPhone 5, upgraded to a iPhone SE. I recently moved to an iPhone 7 on being insisted by my parents. I didn't expect to, but I love it.

It doesn't feel as comfortable for the first 2 days, but it is actually the perfect size. You gain more than you lose. Advice you to try it.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Samsung has unveiled its new foldable smartphone.
Thanks for sharing Chirag. This is the next big thing in the mobile technology. Why you ask? I will elaborate in a bit.

Quote:
Such devices are going to kill the PC & Laptop market even more; this one could greatly take away sales from tablets too.
I agree, though not an apples to apple's comparison, here is the latest iPad Pro vs the MacBook Pro. Just see the jump from 2017 to 2018! All this in a form factor that is portable, has built in SIM card and doesn't have a spinning fan!

Samsung finally unveils its foldable smartphone-screenshot-20181114-11.22.57-am.png
Source: DetroitBORG Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I agree, I upgraded from a 5S to an SE for no better reason than size. No other maker offered this form factor. And frankly I'm worried what my next phone will be. The folding phone could bridge this - small for calls and opened up for viewing videos, reading etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I seriously doubt that. We heard that when smartphones became mainstream; we heard it when tablets became mainstream and now these. At most it would get dented a bit maybe in the premium segments but otherwise, not at all.
The new age mobile devices are slowly getting closer and closer to laptops. They are a fair bit away from proper desktops, but most of these days, people are consumers first and not (content) producers. 99% are happy with a good display, loud speakers and snappy performance. Very few use their tabs as a tool, say video / photo editing, code developing, etc.

My iPad mini with Retina display is still serving me good despite being old. It's definitely larger than my iPhone and I use it when I have to look at a small screen for more than 15 minutes.

While you have a point on adoption of this tech, price it right and see it adopted by most.

Last edited by blackwasp : 14th November 2018 at 11:34.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:36   #15
BANNED

I can quite understand the delay. In a 'flip' device the risk of getting cable breaks is pretty high, as compared to the 'bar' devices. Either Samsung has fixed to issue, or market forces drive them to introduce a flip phone.

Most Viewed