Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 23:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
350$ thats way to cheap for that phone...iam sure its going to cost a bomb when it launches here....iam guessing atleast 80000/-
80000 - 0 = Rs. 8000.00. I am selling my n70 and getting 2 of these ...

But 80K is way too much... 20K is justified price as its running OSX not windows.....
Old 9th January 2007, 23:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
no 3G. has bluetooth, wifi, EDGE, only GSM based. no GPS.

it has predictive sms. intelligent keypad with patented multi tap on the display.

Also has the safari browser for internet.
No 3G, no can do.

Plenty of devices available in the market - with keyboards, without keyboards, with touch screens, with GPS and without, without touchscreens, with voice dialling and without, blah blah blah

Whats their USP then? Why SHOULD a person buy an iPhone? Because its from Apple? - Not compelling enough.

Lets wait and see - these guys have a knack of hitting the right chord, so there must be more to it.

Still...no 3G, no can do.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

It will probably land in India for 20K (US price is 350$, but with Cingular -- could be subsidised price)
Old 10th January 2007, 00:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whats their USP then? Why SHOULD a person buy an iPhone? Because its from Apple? - Not compelling enough.
Looks like they have a FULL version of OS X on this thing. That's way better than what WiMo5 can do. Even kicks the @$$ of UMPCs on the form factor and usability alone.

Ya, no 3G is bad, but in India it won't matter for another year. And by then, they will probably have the 4th Gen of the iPhone :-) with 3G and more perhaps.
hydrashok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2007, 00:08   #20
Team-BHP Support

no GPS but for US they have google maps built in. they have a tie up with google for this.
They also have a tie up with yahoo for the email client and for the search engine.

source:Live from Macworld 2007: Steve Jobs keynote - Engadget
Old 10th January 2007, 00:10   #21
BHPian

im guessing the touchscreen will be in a different league from what we have in the market now......ok maybe hoping more than guessing..but Steeroids right..these guys seem to have been hitting thr right spots with the i pod..so lets hope this carries that further
Old 10th January 2007, 00:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
im guessing the touchscreen will be in a different league from what we have in the market now......

Yep. Wholly new stuff. They aren't even supplying a stylus because one is not needed.
Quote:
So let's not use a stylus, we're going to use the best pointing device in the world -- our fingers. We have invented a new technology called multi-tuch. It works like magic, you don't need a stylus, far more accurate than any interface ever shipped, it ignores touches, mutli-finger gestures, and BOY have we patented it!

We've also got some stuff you can't see -- 3 advanced sensors. It's got a proximity sensor, bring the iPhone to your ear and your display shuts off and toushccreen shuts down. Ambient light sensor -- adjusts brightness, saves power. Third thing is an accellerometer, it can tell whether you're in landscape and portraid. Let's turn it on."
From Engadget
Old 10th January 2007, 00:18   #23
BHPian

Sample of possibilities

10:37: We're going to take you through a real-life scenario of a use case.

10:38: Listening to music via the iPod app.

10:38: Phone call comes in, music fades out, screen changes, and Steve answers the call.

10:39: He hits the "home key" because Phil Schiller wants a photo. So demanding. Couldn't you pick a better time?

10:39: Steve picks the photo from the photo album, hits compose, and sends an email to Phil.

10:40: Phil wants to watch a movie tonight, so Steve brings up Safari and looks up Fandango.

10:40: Steve hangs up the call, goes back to iPod, and the music starts up again. The crowd reacts as if he just offered everyone a free phone.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Battery Life and technology summary:

Quote:
Battery life: "A lot of these phones have low battery life. We've managed to get 5 hours of battery of talk time, video, and browsing. 16 hours of audio playback."

"We've been pushing the state of the art in every facet of this design. We've got the multi-touch screen, miniaturization, OS X in a mobile device, precision enclosures, three advanced sensors, desktop class applications, and the widescreen video iPod. We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
From Engadget

No more speculation. Exact price is in:

$499 for 4GB Model
$599 for 8GB model

Available in Asia in 2008. (That's way too late for no 3G. I agree, Steeroid).

Last edited by hydrashok : 10th January 2007 at 00:22.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Looks like they have a FULL version of OS X on this thing. That's way better than what WiMo5 can do.
Lets not ASSUME. Still, the only USP is a hi-fi screen and 8GB storage.

When the iPod came out, it INVENTED the mp3 player and laid the rules for how the gadget should be.

Unfortunately there are ground rules and a few million users of PDA Phones of various flavours (Symbian, UIQ, Windows Mobile and Linux) ALREADY that are used to a certain way of doing things.

Apple have always created new markets and written the rules by which the market will work in future. This is different - there are rules in place already.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

4gb model is $499. 8gb is $599. prices are with 2year cingular contract.

June release in US. asia only in 2008.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th January 2007 at 00:26.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:24   #27
BANNED

Quote:
"When's it going to be available? We're shipping them in June -- we're announcing it today because we have to go get FCC approval... we thought it'd be better to introduce this today rather than let the FCC introduce this. Europe in the 4th quarter of this year, Asia in 2008. "We've chosen Cingular."

"They're going to be our exclusive partner in the US -- it's a unique partnership though. We're going to be doing innovation together. We worked on visual voicemail, the first fruit of this collaboration. We'll be selling iPhone through our own stores and Cingular stores."
It will take some time to reach the stores it seems. And priced in the region of $599!! That's cheaper than an N93!!

Quote:
We've been pushing the state of the art in every facet of this design. We've got the multi-touch screen, miniaturization, OS X in a mobile device, precision enclosures, three advanced sensors, desktop class applications, and the widescreen video iPod. We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them.
These are the technological advances they say!

Last edited by speedzak : 10th January 2007 at 00:29.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Lets not ASSUME.
OS X confirmed. Right from the horses' mouth.

Quote:
We've been pushing the state of the art in every facet of this design. We've got the multi-touch screen, miniaturization, OS X in a mobile device, precision enclosures, three advanced sensors, desktop class applications, and the widescreen video iPod. We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them.
Steve Jobs quoted by Engadget
Old 10th January 2007, 00:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Now that the adrenaline has died down, what steeroid said makes a whole lot of sense. Ok, the package is good, but Apple hasn't exactly brought that special thing they usually do, into this gadget they are calling a phone. Nothing new on the Phone front.

It is a great device and I will murder for it if I am likely to get one on Jan 1, 2008. 25K for the 4GB model is a steal, considering I spent 42K for my current O2 XDA IIi (with B&W). But what is so special about it? Nothing that other manufacturers can't ape in another 6 months.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:38   #30
Awaiting Email Confirmation

42k for an xda2i ? dude my imate jasjars cheaper than that...n this is apples first so lets wait for bugs shall we?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed