Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2007, 08:49   #76
Senior - BHPian

Cisco may lose the iPhone TM after all...

Source: Cisco might have lost iPhone trademark in '06 - Engadget

Quote:
Apparently Cisco has more "iPhone" trouble in store for it than just that prior art dispute we mentioned yesterday. In order to keep a trademark alive, you have to file a "Declaration of Use" with the US Patent and Trademark office every six years or forfeit the trademark. On 11/16/2005 Cisco missed that deadline, but was granted a six month grace period, which it just barely squeezed through. Unfortunately for Cisco, a "Declaration of Use" requires demonstration of active use, under penalty of perjury. Cisco merely slapped an iPhone sticker onto an existing VoIP handset it was producing (shown above), but at the time hadn't put an actual iPhone product on shelves for a good long while. This jeopardizes the legitimacy of the trademark, and with Ocean Telecom Services LLC -- which is thought by most to be a front company for Apple -- next in line for the name, it's looking like anyone's game at this point. But for the sake of our own sanity, can we wrap this one up soon, guys? We were kind of hoping to spend the day resting up from CES and playing that new Gears of War map pack instead of reporting such minute developments. Oh well, what are you gonna do?
Old 15th January 2007, 04:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

While Apple's phone is more production ready then any other models Nokia's Marketing Head recently replied Saying "We ain't sleeping, but we aint speaking." compared to 8gigs Benq-siemens is rumoured to have 30gb of hdd.

being on the selling side I have an Idea of What Apple's iphone maybe facing after being the first launch of new Gen mobile phones this Summer 07.

Nokia Aeon Concept.

further reading
TechEBlog » Nokia Aeon Concept

Benq-Siemens Blackbox concept. ( This phone is the most production ready at the moment after iphone sez an insider I know from a siemens forum.)

further reading

BenQ-Siemens Black Box Concept Phone - Gizmodo

Synaptics first device

further reading (Also watch for the video)

TechEBlog » (Video) Synaptics Onyx Mobile Concept

Sonyericsson Zeus concept

This concept has been designed by a forum user but this forum boasts of Sonyericsson selecting their forum members designs.

further reading

Unofficial Club Sony Ericsson » Blog Archive » Sony Ericsson Zeus and Siren, more fan-made concepts

Now you decide where Iphone stands.
Old 15th January 2007, 20:28   #78
BHPian

I wouldnt buy this phone....firstly the price.... $499 for 4Gigs with 2 year contract means close to $700...which is crazy...
Most of the smartphones have lost out because they couldnt give what everyone wanted.: voice quality and good signal response... lets see how apple does,
Also no rechargable battery, no third party applications (say bye bye to good Java apps/games) ...
Wait for the next line of SE phones...it will beat the pants out of iphone in terms of features...ofcourse apple will have its buyers!!

Lets see how Nokia/SE/Motorola respond to this.... On to 3GSM..Feb 12th
Old 16th January 2007, 12:57   #79
BHPian

Video demo of the apple iphone at macworld

came across this video at phonearena.com
Old 19th January 2007, 18:33   #80
BHPian

It seems that others mnfr have decided to take on i-phone launched by apple.Read on...

Techtree.com India > News > Gadgets > LG "Me Too" after Apple iPhone
Old 19th January 2007, 18:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
It seems that others mnfr have decided to take on i-phone launched by apple.Read on...

I wonder what would have more snob value....a PRADA phone or an iPhone?
Old 19th January 2007, 18:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

This is how it might work ---- A patent filed by apple
AppleInsider | Inside Apple's latest iPod touch-screen patent filing
Old 19th January 2007, 18:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I wonder what would have more snob value....a PRADA phone or an iPhone?
How about a PRADA iPhone???
Old 22nd January 2007, 02:41   #84
Senior - BHPian

Old 22nd January 2007, 07:06   #85
Team-BHP Support

Everyone looks at the iphone and comes up with one of 2 reactions -

1. Wow that is AWESOME
or
2. $600? There are tons of other phones in the market right now that can do that already + more

I belong to the second group. However, i will say, that an important thing about devices is not WHAT they can do, but HOW they can do it......and in that aspect i have to say that the iphone will have some key advantages and innovative little tricks that no other phone has ever provided.

Sometimes its not about the technology you have, but how you use it..... eg. two finger scrolling on the macbook pros..... that could have been added 5years ago with literally 15 more lines of code for a synaptics touchpad on a PC, but it went unnoticed.... sometimes the implementation is more important than the invention. Example on the iphone - (@3min:45sec)

And as for my views on the "OMG $600 is a lot for a phone" statement... think of it this way.
iPhone = ipod nano(8gb=$250) + smartphone(+2mpcamera=$350) + wifi
And i bet a lot of people here own ipods, and fancy Rs 15-18k phones too... so if you just add that together you get $250+$350 = $600 iphone.

Makes sense, and its all in one conveinient package.

I'm no apple fan, i think the ipod is rather dumb, but i do deeply respect their innovation when it comes to user interface, as well as their attention to little details (magnetic power cords etc).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd January 2007 at 07:10.
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:02   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post

The LG Prada Phone has been expected for some time and its specifications have not changed post iPhone, therefore the question as to who is the real 'Me Too'
Old 25th January 2007, 15:33   #87
BHPian

Is the iphone available only in the US or is it avaiable in Singapore or in Australia ???
Old 6th June 2007, 10:11   #88
BHPian

Apple was never known to be the leader in features. Even the ipod was just an mp3 player to start with. It didnt have most of the bells and whistles like FM radio, video support, wireless/bluetooth support etc for quite long. But still it sold like hot cakes.

Apple is about style, ease of use and quality. Look at the new TV ads (link below) that started appearing for iPhones. I have decided that iPhone is my next phone! Hope to get it from US in my next visit. After all, that ugly Nokia N95 is priced even higher in India.

Apple - iPhone - TV Ads
Old 6th June 2007, 15:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

I think Apple has a contract with Cingular (now AT&T) to sell iPhone with only their service for the first one year or so.
Looks like a new funda with phone mfrs and service providers. Earlier Verizon launched Palm Treo 700W (Palm with Windows Mobile) and it took more than 6 months before another service provider offered it.
Old 6th June 2007, 15:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Apple devoted its energy on non-tele features I guess. Its a cool mp3/video gadget with a brilliant UI. They added some a bit of phone to it. Maybe a later version with 3G and good camera options could be offered globally.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks