Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:31   #121
BHPian

My dream phone is Samsung i900 omnia , hope I can get my hands on that very soon
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Am using a N95 8gb and the new launches have got most of the same features so no dream mobile for now!
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:40   #123
Senior - BHPian

Harry ji, the newest n series phone is coming
the n96
bigger screen than the n95, more memory, Mobile Tv and much more.
Old 3rd September 2008, 21:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Harry ji, the newest n series phone is coming
the n96
bigger screen than the n95, more memory, Mobile Tv and much more.
Abhinav !6 gb memory is of no use. In 5 months i had just filled 2 gb and that too mostly with songs.
Screen is not bigger,almost same.
yeah Mobile Tv is an added option.
Rest all features are same.
In fact when you hold both in hand N96 looks kinda ugly. try it!

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd September 2008 at 21:59.
Old 5th September 2010, 13:14   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I moved over to HTC Touch, it is small enough to slip into my pocket and even live together with my car keys. And it hardly has any buttons, so no fear of wrong button presses.
Time to update this thread.

After having a very good experience with the HTC Touch, I upgraded to HTC Touch Diamond 2, the most expensive phone I ever bought. This turned to be the best phone experience I ever had. But fate had some other plans.

While using the HTC TD2, I had to a buy a iPhone 3GS for office. To the utter frustration of my friends, I didn't open the box even after 10 days of getting the iPhone. I mean, I was happy with the TD2 and was in no hurry to unbox the iPhone.

And then it happened, my TD2 was stolen from my pouch in a busy takeout restaurant. So I was forced to open the iPhone box.

Everybody was telling me for a month that I am going to love it. But the expected love at first sight didn't happen. I didn't find the ergonomics suit my requirement. It was too big, too slippery, and too much of a "my way or the highway" kind of phone.

I never read instruction manual of any phone. I expect them to be intuitive enough to be used without any instructions. The iPhone was the first phone that forced me look up user manual or even search the Internet for tips on using. Anyway, I was constantly irritated and complaining. I don't use the phone for web/email, so I didn't care about those.

Meanwhile, the insurance of the TD2 came through and I was approved for 12K on my next mobile phone at Sangeeta. Soon I got myself a HTC Touch 2 by adding 1.5K to the 12K that was approved. My ergonomics problem got solved instantly.

I gotta say I am not too happy with HTC T2 either, but I like it better than iPhone. With the WinMob Pro 6.5, they have taken away the ability to set MP3 songs for ringtones or alarm. I am really pissed about that one. I hear WinMob 7 is even worse. This probably will be my last WinMob phone.

Later my wife's 3 year old SE W810i died and took over the iPhone. But she too wasn't thrilled about the size. After 3 month of using iPhone she switched to plum color Nokia 3710 flip phone and is very happy now. She waited for the plum color for more than a month as only black was available in most stores, they must have thought it is an iPhone. On the ergonomics and cuteness front, it even beats the HTC T2, let alone iPhone.

What I learnt from my family's iPhone saga is simple this. One phone can't suit everybody, one size can't suit everybody, one color can't suit everybody.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th September 2010 at 13:18.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:52   #126
Team-BHP Support

My dream phone was the Siemens S4. Seriously it was the only time I really (dreamed)cared to own a mobile. I think it was 1995 when Hutchingson Max aka Max Touch (404 20) started at a pincely rate of Rs. 16 per minute.

The S4 was a phone. I dropped it, kicked it, damn near drove a car over it and it still refused to die. It's been downhill since.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:09   #127
BHPian

I owned by dream phone (also my first phone), the amazingly small Nokia 8250. It looked brilliant, the signal strength and battery life were amazing. Sadly it broke
Old 26th April 2011, 01:01   #128
Team-BHP Support

Re: What is your dream mobile phone?

Time to update the thread again. After getting disappointed with HTC Touch2, I decided to give a second chance to iPhone 3GS. Mainly because I wanted access to Internet via 3G which was to come anytime. This time I was determined to get used to it. Slowly I learnt to live with it, even like it. Doesn't mean I liked the iTunes, and other Apple quirkiness.

This month I had to turn over the iPhone to the Apple software development team in my company. So I was again back with HTC Touch2. And I was in no mood suffer a WinMob 6.5 OS, 2G and resistive touchscreen after the iPhone experience. But I was in no mood to spend 40K on a iPhone4 either. I was never comfortable with the size of iPhone anyway, so I wanted something smaller, like the HTC T2. And I had discovered that many of my staff had much cheaper Android phones that had most functions of iPhone.

I set the size to within 110 x 60 x 14 to suit my need. This was very important to me. Next it had to be Android, with capacitive screen, preferably gorilla glass. The camera had to have autofocus. Among the phones in India, only Defy made the list. I could have waited for Wildfire S, but didn't know when it would come. Besides, Defy had 3 times better resolution than Wildfire S. But the SAR rating of Defy was a damper.

After hearing the good reviews and looking at the specs sheet again, I had a second thought. Americans are usually paranoid when they set safe limits. If 1.6W/kg is their max limit for SAR, then it will be plenty safe. Besides, I rarely use my phone for longer than 20 minutes of talking everyday.

So I decided to have a look it at Royal Meenakshi mall. The Sangeeta store only had closed box, no demo model. Yet the salesman wanted me to buy it so that he can open and show the phone. Where do they teach such sales techniques I wonder.

Then I went to Croma.

My conversation with the salesman went like this:

Me: Hi, do you have Motorola Defy?
He: Hmm, No. Never heard of that model.
Me: Oh..
He: Wait, do you mean Difi? [he said it as Dee Fee]
Me: Huh?

Then he shows me Motorola Defy working model which was right in front of me. I mean, Defy is a plain English word, obviously chosen because this is a rugged phone that can defy most environmental hazards. So, who taught these guys to pronounce it as DeeFee or Difi?

The screen is just delicious, and the phone is very very handy. It very slightly bigger than my HTC Touch2, yet has 5 times more resolution. It is very classy too.

I loved the phone, and bought it for 18990.

He: Sir, do you need the additional scratch guard film?
Me: [stunned] Why? doesn't this have gorilla glass? How can a plastic film be more helpful than Gorilla glass?
He: [with sheepish smile] But most people don't know anything about Gorilla glass, so they still buy the plastic film to protect Gorilla glass.

Now that I have used it for 2 days, I am mighty impressed. It blows away the iPhone 3GS. Frankly, I was not expecting my next phone to be better than iPhone 3GS, I only thought I'll be getting something smaller.

The moment I inserted the SIM car, the 3G started working perfectly. Then I added my gmail account to it. The next chore was moving the contacts. I exported the Outlook data to my gmail account. Then I started to fiddle with the phone to see how I can import from gmail to phone. I accidently clicked on contacts and was shocked see my contacts already present. It had synced via 3G. This is the first phone I have owned that picked up the contacts before I even connected the phone to the PC.

Unlike iOS, I found navigating around the phone lot easier and with zero frustration. The touchscreen is as responsive as iPhone. It is lot more tightly integrated with social networking. Downloading free apps was a breeze.

So far really enjoying the phone, this is really a dream phone come true. The Swype typing is very cool. This is probably my best phone until now, and that too within 20K.

Irritations so far:
1) Yet another kind of USB connector. Why can't they all use the same kind.
2) Way too many distracting notifications. Need to figure out how to switch off email/FB notifications.
3) The battery is running out too fast even in battery saver mode. Need to fine tune.
4) The USB cover and mic cover are jutting out.
5) No charging light of any kind. Hard to make out whether it is charging.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:58   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

My dream phone - Nokia 6510 (Discontinued long back)

That was my first mobile phone, got it for 17k in 2003. Very much handy, it is only 67cc (97 x 43 x 20 mm)
I loved it like anything, kept the phone with me till 2005 even after switching to many other mobiles. Worst part is that some nasty crap in my hostel robbed it.

If nokia ever launches this model again (or a similar one) irrespective of the features I will get one.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:33   #130
Senior - BHPian

The Nokia Navigator has been one of the best phones I have owned till now .I still have it . This was actually a GPS with a phone rather than the phones with GPS that we see these days.

The E71 was good ,but somehow I was disappointed with the E72 which was more or less the E71 with a better spec'd camera .

Now ,with the BB Torch ,I feel this is in a different league.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:43   #131
BHPian

In the last 5 years I have used a variety of phones including Samsung SGH N500, Nokia 3310, Nokia 6030, Sony Ericsson W200i, Nokia 7210 supernova, Nokia 5230 and now BB Curve 8520. I always use my phone for not more than 10-11 months. I get bored of the same phone very easily. My BB is just a month old and I'm already tired of it and planning to get a BB Bold 3 in a couple of months.
My dream phone will be a , ummm, Vertu I guess.
It doesn't have too many features but I love its exclusivity. But again its too expensive and I'd rather buy a car for that money .

If I consider cheaper options then my dream phone would be a Sony Experia Play(The one which looks like a psp). Or an iPhone 4.

The 3310 is the best phone which I ever used. Very sturdy and easy to use and it lasted almost 8 years and everyone in the family used it. The second best would be the 6030 which was also quite sturdy and could withstand abuse.
The worst phone which I used was the 7210 Supernova. Build quality was very weak and I used it only for 4 months before it broke.
These are the ones which I've used till now:
Attached Thumbnails
What is your dream mobile phone?-samsungsghn500.jpg  

What is your dream mobile phone?-nokia33101.jpg  

What is your dream mobile phone?-nokia60302.jpg  

What is your dream mobile phone?-sonyericssonw200iphone.jpg  

What is your dream mobile phone?-nokia7210supernova2.jpg  

What is your dream mobile phone?-nokia5230blackduane.jpg  

What is your dream mobile phone?-bbcurve8520for.jpg  

Old 29th April 2011, 23:27   #132
Senior - BHPian

My eternal search for "dream phone" ended when I started using the iPhone. Not that it is perfect, far from it in fact. But till date it is the only phone that doesn't leave me with the "something is missing" feeling.

Having said that, I'm now in a mood to go back to one of those rugged non-touchscreen phones that I wouldn't hesitate to pull out and use in a dusty place, wouldn't need to put it in a protective cover, and would be able to use with one hand in bright sunlight. But it should be able to do email and facebook, so I guess I've discovered why the BlackBerries are still so popular. Lets see... if I get a good-enough price for the iPhone and the Android phone, I might go back to non-touchscreen phones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks