Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2019, 08:22   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)

My timeline report came in yesterday:

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screenshot_20190105081544.png

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screenshot_20190105081549.png

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screenshot_20190105081554.png

Somehow the stats to moon isn't there on my mail. Folks who are traveling for work should have made multiple trips to the moon now!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 17:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Speaking about inaccuracies in the Timeline:

a. My Timeline data for 31st Dec 2018 shows that I traveled from 'A' to 'B' in the evening
b. Then on the night of 31st Dec-1 st Jan, my timeline shows me Driving ~10km (30mins) from 'B' just after midnight to reach 'C'.
c. According to the Timeline, I (or my phone) was then stationed at 'C' till afternoon on 1st Jan.

This is interesting because:
1. The data in first part (a) is true. I did travel from 'A' to 'B' in the evening.
2. I did not make any further trips after reaching 'B' (nor did my phone)
3. I wasn't anywhere near the 'C', in fact I hadn't gone to that address for more than a week and did not go there on 1st Jan either.

What is really interesting is that 'C' is the old home address of a friend whom I was celebrating New Year with. Did Google somehow determine from the data from my phone and his that we were at the same place (quite possible)? But even then how did it get the trip/location information so wrong? And by the way, his Timeline shows no anomaly and even he didn't go to 'C' during that night.
Old 6th January 2019, 07:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'd seen this a few years back and promptly deleted all the accumulated data.

This only happens if you use Google Maps signed in, right? I ensure I use apps without signing in (YouTube/Maps) as much as possible. But hey, privacy in today's world is a myth.
No. This data is collected if you have location enabled on your phone. You'll still be able to navigate if you have it disabled as Google Maps primarily uses GPS triangulation, and if you're worried about privacy that's a setting you should definitely disable.

Go to your phone's Settings -> Google -> Location to toggle the feature.
Old 6th January 2019, 18:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow Google is tracking ones movement meticulously. Here are my footprints across the globe.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-capture.jpg  

tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 09:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am aware that Google tracks your activity, but not too sure about deleting my activity from Timeline protects my privacy. I am active as a Local guide on google maps, promote unknown religious places by reviews and photos. I also correct the locations on map if there is an error in their data.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I am aware that Google tracks your activity, but not too sure about deleting my activity from Timeline protects my privacy.
You are right, looks the data is collected via multiple options and it is impossible to clear all even if you disable location history.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ion/976463002/
Old 7th January 2019, 11:34   #37
BANNED

I am regular user of Google maps and provide reviews and map updates time to time. Lately, I am observing Google is offering me some kind of benefits time to time in form of Google play gift cards and certain subscriptions for limited periods etc. The amount is measly, but a good initiative to motivate users IMO .

This is me.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-google-timeline1.png  

PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 03:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Is Google Maps Timeline "feature" well-known?
https://www.google.com/maps/timeline
Surprise surprise, Google got even more data about us if you have enabled location history. Read the sentence highlighted in red, yes, you read it right, "even if you aren't using a specific Google service "

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screen-shot-20190425-1.26.19-am.png

You can download all the data that Google has collected about you using below link.

Quote:
Download your data
You can export and download your data from the Google products you use, like your email, calendar, and photos. In a few easy steps, create an archive to keep for your records or use the data in another service.

Note: Downloading your data does not delete it from Google’s servers. Learn how to delete your account or how to delete your searches and browsing activity.

Step 1: Select data to include in your archive
Go to the Download your data page. Products that have your data are automatically selected.
If you don’t want to download data from a product, uncheck the box beside it.
If you only want to download some of your data from a product, you may have the option to select a button like List All data included. Then, you can uncheck the box next to data you don’t want to include.
Select Next step.
Source

To do this exercise, select your location data alone, if you select all options it will run into few GBs.

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screen-shot-20190425-1.02.33-am.png

If you open the file you will get a window like this

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screen-shot-20190425-1.04.04-am.png

See, there are categories like "STILL", "IN_VEHICLE", "EXITING_VEHICLE" etc.

What I did was parse the latitude and longitude coordinates to scatter plot those unique locations on the map using this website.

This is what I got, well, sharing only a small screenshot

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-screen-shot-20190425-1.05.17-am.png

There were around 1260 uniques coordinates in my location history.

If you guys are more interested please go through this blog.

Last edited by ecenandu : 25th April 2019 at 03:27.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 16:17   #39
BHPian

So I am working on a hobby project where I map my location data using a heatmap where I'll use velocity as one feature. It will show areas where I'm going fast vs areas I have been stationary a lot of times and some ranges of speed in between those. However, the idea is not to stop at that, but also use my play music and scrobbling data to map out the kind of music I listen to on daily basis, long drives, in specific regions and time of the day.

Right now I'm at the first stage, where I have created the heatmap for stationary (and walking) vs driving.

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-shinyappscreenshot29062019.jpg

The bluer the area, more walking or stationary, while redder the area, more driving (speed > 10 kmph).

And it's evident that I don't do a lot of walking

If you guys have any more ideas about some other data points I can incorporate, let me know.
Old 4th September 2020, 14:30   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Crazy times we live in! 1 city visited (on the way to Lonavla) and just 1 place - McDonalds for my black coffee fill-up. Nothing like a good car, an empty road, nice music & a McD's black coffee early in the morning.

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-1.png

Your Google Maps Timeline (data collected via phone)-2.png
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 16:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

My google timeline for the last few months shows only one place visited - the supermarket opposite to my apartment.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed