Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:26   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Today morning got a shocker when the screen flashed that my Tata sky account has been deactivated due to no recharge . Stupid people at Tata sky did not transfer the remaining amount from the discontinued long term duration pack into my account. A call to tata sky with some expletives worked and they confirmed the activation of the new selected packs with an initial 5 day recharge amount, rest of the money would be in my account by end of the day. The account shows the amount all right.

I opted for tata sky curated packs i.e 1)Marathi Hindi Premium Sports English HD - Monthly 2) Kannada Regional - Monthly. Total cost Rs 900/-
No of channels: SD-69, HD-67, FTA-193. Cant challenge this selection as this was done by wife.
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:47   #152
BHPian

My Tatasky was plan was migrated yesterday to the new one as per TRAI rules. From the way the packs are designed. I have observed that Choosing a MIX of Broadcaster Bouquets and Ala carte was the cheapest way to get the Channels I wanted. I Needed Telugu / English and Sports channels. So this combination gave me the price almost equal to what I was paying previously (HD Ultra with 2nd TV - Rs.985 / month).

As per TRAI selection it is now Rs 813 (513 + 300 for second TV).

Broadcaster Packs
  • Star Telugu Premium HD 129.8
  • Discovery Basic Infotainment HD 11.8
  • Times Bouquet 3 HD 23.6
  • Turner Bouquet 3 HD 14.75
  • Sony Happy India Sports English HD 59.0
  • ETV Bouquet 1 28.32
Channels
  • Sakshi TV 0.0
  • TV9 Telugu 0.0
  • NTV Telugu 0.0
  • TV5 News 0.0
  • Gemini Movies HD 22.42
  • Gemini TV HD 22.42
  • Zee Telugu HD 22.42
  • Zee Cinemalu HD 18.88
  • Gemini Comedy 5.9

Network Fee
Network Fee (95 channels) 153.0
DD + Complimentary Pack
FTA Promo 0
Back Confirm

The curated packs were more expensive and were offering languages that I never actually watch.

Down the line based on viewing patterns may reduce the channels further.
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:38   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an Airtel dth connection. I configured an ala cartel package on Jan 31st through the Airtel website. It never got activated and I continued get the channels from my old package. I configured another package through the website and got a notification on the page that it will be activated in 48 hrs. Hopefully it works this time. Has anyone changed the package through Airtel website?
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:09   #154
BHPian

I have an Tatasky DTH connection. After this TRAI announcement, I configured my pack of channels, mostly from the broadcasters packs and could reduce my bill by Rs 75/-.

Is there a possibility to choose the list of channels in the FTA pack? I see lot of channels I don't watch/understand.

Presumably, Tata Sky customer care is connected to space with lot of silence.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:38   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have an Airtel dth connection. I configured an ala cartel package on Jan 31st through the Airtel website. It never got activated and I continued get the channels from my old package. I configured another package through the website and got a notification on the page that it will be activated in 48 hrs. Hopefully it works this time. Has anyone changed the package through Airtel website?
Same here. When I selected the new package, the monthly charge came to 415. It never got activated. I continue to get the old package and the monthly rental was updated to 460. Today I selected the basic pack at 150. Still not activated.

I am getting as feeling that they are purposefully making it difficult to know the channels selected, so that they can continue to charge a higher amount based on the older package.
Old 4th February 2019, 09:21   #156
Oxy
BHPian

What a useless exercise. Might as well buy a Jio sim and watch everything on your smartphone through Jio TV. That will be much more economical and you can watch every channel.
Old 4th February 2019, 09:48   #157
BHPian

I watch Television probably 6-8 hours per month and my spouse 2-3 hours per month. In reality we do not require television at home, but at times I feel bored and surfing through the channels gives a break from routine. But our live-in maid wants to watch mind numbing serials daily, hence we need to have connection.

We were paying upwards of Rs.300 per month with local cable wallah and the STB used to do tantrums and black out once in a while.He would take ages to set it right. About 1.5 year back I shifted to Dish TV which had Ala carte selection. I used to select about 15-20 channels each costing 5-8 Rs and my bill came down to Rs.179.

Come Dec 2018 we shifted to new apartment and Dish TV dish orientation was problematic and required about 150 metres of cable costing about 1500 to re establish proper connection. Shifted to TATA sky as they have common dish for our apartment. Shocker of prices and was forced to select Basic Pack + Some movie pack for 149+GST.

Then comes the TRAI order and I migrated to just 10 channels most of them costing a rupee or less and now the monthly cost is 168 GST inclusive. Pack got activated on 2nd February. I feel it is a steal for me. cant expect anything better. I thank TRAI for this radical change.

Last edited by aadya : 4th February 2019 at 09:50. Reason: correction
Old 4th February 2019, 10:35   #158
BHPian

For somebody who only needs a few news channels and some random music channels - where the brand does not matter - this TRAI enforced fiat is a boon. For anybody who want to subscribe to some 10-20 paid channels, they are going to end up with a heavy bill. As expected the provider packs are designed to benefit only the provider. My pre and post overhaul monthly cost remains almost the same, and I was able to add some new HD channels as well.

Although this TRAI move appears appealing in the short term, in the long run any regulatory authority tinkering with free market policies is bad for the industry.
Old 4th February 2019, 10:39   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
What a useless exercise. Might as well buy a Jio sim and watch everything on your smartphone through Jio TV. That will be much more economical and you can watch every channel.
Does that not make this a useful exercise for Jio .
That is the entire purpose. All the sudden activism about e-commerce, DTH.... its all for Jio.
Old 4th February 2019, 11:04   #160
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting all the channels just like before! When i called my cable person, I was informed the implementation has been postponed by a few days. Couldn't find anything online about it.
Old 4th February 2019, 11:44   #161
BANNED

I think the majority who benefited from TRAI pricing are from Tata Sky house? One of the reason could be the erstwhile atrocious HD channel pricing. Nevertheless, my monthly bill is reduced by Rs. 100 and that's too with some increased number of channels albeit some cautious planning.
Old 4th February 2019, 12:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
It should have ceased already. You would have been migrated already to a near priced plan automatically.
Apparently not. In Airtel app my plan still shows the same. However i see an information icon flashing prompting me to choose if I want to change the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I'm getting all the channels just like before! When i called my cable person, I was informed the implementation has been postponed by a few days. Couldn't find anything online about it.
Looks like it. I have a pre-paid plan(paid for 6 months till April,2019) for all channels(SD+HD) as its pretty irritating selecting channels one by one. But now looks like I will have to go through the pain
Old 4th February 2019, 12:12   #163
BHPian

How convenient / inconvenient is the following:

1. Buy Amazon Fire Stick / Mi TV Box / Any other reputed Android TV box to use as your new smart STB
2. Install Jio TV app and get all channels for free
3. Install Hotstar app (for being able to view live content on JioTV app)
4. Don't buy any other paid subscriptions apart from the minimum required to keep JioTV / JioCinema running.
Old 4th February 2019, 12:28   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
How convenient / inconvenient is the following:

1. Buy Amazon Fire Stick / Mi TV Box / Any other reputed Android TV box to use as your new smart STB
2. Install Jio TV app and get all channels for free
3. Install Hotstar app (for being able to view live content on JioTV app)
4. Don't buy any other paid subscriptions apart from the minimum required to keep JioTV / JioCinema running.
Well then the internet spend would be at its peak. Not sure how the bandwidth and speeds can be secured for a seamless run.
Old 4th February 2019, 14:09   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Well then the internet spend would be at its peak. Not sure how the bandwidth and speeds can be secured for a seamless run.
Jio TV is designed to run on a Mobile 4g connection which is not always 100% reliable.

It should run anything in HD well enough on on a 4+ Mbps non-BSNL connection.

For households who already have access to a 10Mbps connection, this should be an easy option.

The added benefits being that we now have are
1. Never need to watch a movie from in-between
2. Never miss your favorite shows due to catch up facility
3. Watch at their own lesiure.
4. No need for complicated a-la-carte plans.

I have the Videocon D2H 1TB DVR STB with dual 4K recording which I purchased for twice the price of a FireTV Stick (non 4K) and still the option I have seems primitive in front of the one I just detailed above.

Last edited by antz.bin : 4th February 2019 at 14:17.

Most Viewed