Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 18:35   #181
BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Updates:

1. I have subscription with Videocon D2H South Platinum HD. Luckily my 6 month long-term plan got over by Mid-Dec; As I was aware of the oncoming changes (which was then Dec 29th), only recharged it for very small amounts (300/-, 200/-, and 300/-) . The old plan was just enough till 31st Jan.

2. Selected a-la-carte, requested for a plan change. Bill came down to 560 from 780. Channel selection experience in the website was pathetic, as expected.

3. Was out of town for 3 days, so recharged account for 560 today. Most of the channels are coming; some of them I wanted are not, but I am not sure whether I had selected them in the first place. And since the website is so pathetic, I can't see where my earlier selections are.

So much for Indian IT prowess
Old 4th February 2019, 18:51   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As mentioned earlier TRAI has instructed operators to comply with customer wishes and that includes continuing with long term subscriptions.
True.

I have read about the same in the FAQs available on the TRAI site.

Here's a screenshot of the same, just in case anyone needs some proof to present to the service providers.
Attached Thumbnails
TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-screenshot_20190204184150387_cn.wps.moffice_eng980x496.png  

Old 4th February 2019, 18:56   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If nothing works for you, try the selection again with the TV on, and maybe you will get lucky.

Maybe you need to do the selection process again - try it once more.
Thanks! This trick worked.
Old 4th February 2019, 19:14   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I too selected the new plan using Airtel website before 31st Jan and got an SMS with a request number, but the changes didn't take place till today. While watching the TV today, I opened my Airtel App and did the whole selection exercise again and voila, the change took effect immediately. Makes me wonder if we need to keep the TV on during the selection process.
If nothing works for you, try the selection again with the TV on, and maybe you will get lucky.
I came home from office and can see my package activated (I haven't checked all the channels till now). My Airtel DTH box remains on for days together and maybe the update has been processed earlier today.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:41   #185
BHPian

On tatasky I see that HBO HD is priced at 17.7 p.m. where as Turner Bouquet 3 HD Pack which contains HBO HD and Cartoon Network HD is priced as 14. 75 p.m. !! They have employed some good MBAs to come out with the pricing.

As is evident from the pricing they are dying for viewership and pricing the bouquets lower than the channels. They are obviously not happy with the transparency and have carefully priced channels such that it turns out more expensive than old negotiated price even with providers like tatasky(which was most expensive anyway). This obviously means that they should slash it further to 0 if they want viewership.

However we are dealing with media here. Expect no positive news but a lot of criticism about this transparency.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:46   #186
BHPian

Interesting piece of "news".

Quote:
The network capacity fee and channel prices announced by broadcasters and distributors as per TRAI's new guidelines could increase the monthly bill of most subscribers of television channels, according to rating agency Crisil.
Quote:
"Our analysis of the impact of the regulations indicates a varied impact on monthly TV bills. Based on current pricing, the monthly TV bill can go up by 25 per cent from Rs 230-240 to around Rs 300 per month for viewers who opt for the top 10 channels, but will come down for those who opt upto top 5 channels," Crisil senior director Sachin Gupta said.

Read it here.
Old 5th February 2019, 13:10   #187
Team-BHP Support

People struggling to get channel packs to fit a certain budget, I'll reiterate using the TRAI site.

1. Make a list of all you preferred channels from the a la carte selection.

2. Use the optimise option to get a list of broadcaster bouquet options that'll cover most channels you selected. In my case, only 5 channels were missing, that I added a la carte.

3. Using the options provided in step 2, go to your service provider site and subscribe to the bouquets specified, add in any a la carte choices and submit.

Much simpler than struggling with endless confusing choices on badly designed service provider sites.
Old 5th February 2019, 14:17   #188
BHPian

I am having big trouble with Videocon D2H. I was working on selecting the channels around Jan 29th-31st. It was one hell of a bad experience. logging in itself was not working well because of an issue with the OTP coming through and if you were lucky logging in, channel selection was in itself a big task. There is so much lag in between selecting a channel and it getting added to your pack that you lose patience. Adding to it many channels just do not get selected no matter how many times you click them.

After I finally managed to submit, I got a message stating they will get back to me. Its the 5th day today and they have not got back and since yesterday all my channels are now not working baring a few free ones. Calling their customer care does not help as the call never goes through. I am unable to login to their website since last 2 days as it again just doesn't let me in. The only option I can exercise now is the email where we generally get only an automated reply (which again has a wrong link to the website).

Unfortunately I just recharged around 25th of Jan and have around 450 odd bucks stuck with them. If the channels I selected do not start working soon, I will call it quits for my D2H subscription and not have one at all. Too much of a hassle to watch hasslefree television
Old 5th February 2019, 14:38   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

I fail to understand what's going on right now with TataSky DTH. They started sending me repeated sms regarding change in plan and different account balances. I've not yet understood what is the final outcome. My main TV is showing only the channels that I opted for but the multi TV connection has all channels of erstwhile Platinum HD pack!
Old 5th February 2019, 18:39   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I am having big trouble with Videocon D2H. I was working on selecting the channels around Jan 29th-31st. It was one hell of a bad experience
I can totally relate this with my experience, I only use a DTH connection for watching "cricket matches" by recharging for a couple of hundred bucks on the match date.
I've been trying to select my channels through the d2h infinity app and also the website but I am not able to login to my account.

After 4-5 days of trying, I have given up and I guess, I will have to settle with hotstar

Last edited by Eddy : 5th February 2019 at 18:58. Reason: fixing quotes
Old 5th February 2019, 19:06   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

I have d2h at my home with two TVs. I selected the channels there. Compared to Tata Sky this is not at all intuitive. But I was able to remove unnecessary channels and select the ones I like. It has accepted it as a request. But there still is one question. I did not get a choice to differentiate channel selections for two TVs.
Update: The pack is updated as per request, but it is only activated for main connection. Mirror connection has been disabled / no pack active, old or new.

There is no option to select pack for mirror connection.

Trying to reach customer care, but the call is not going through.
Old 5th February 2019, 20:09   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
..My main TV is showing only the channels that I opted for but the multi TV connection has all channels of erstwhile Platinum HD pack!
The primary Tata Sky connection was updated couple of days ago while the multi/addon TV got updated and is showing the channels and price in the app. There is a gap of 2 to 3 days between the primary and multi TV updates.
Old 5th February 2019, 20:52   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
it's still a myth that the new TRAI regulations will make it cheaper

Maybe it's time to cut the (Cable) cord and just use internet TV subscriptions.
+1 yes, I too have Hathway Cable and I face the same situation. It gets complicated since I have 2 connections, one for my elderly parents. The cost is expected to rise from approx 450/- per month to around 1200+ per month for both connections together. All my family members are in agreement to drop cable and switch to internet for entertainment as a whole. TRAI regulations favor Channel Owners and Service Providers and not end consumers, for sure.
Old 5th February 2019, 20:56   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I came home from office and can see my package activated (I haven't checked all the channels till now). My Airtel DTH box remains on for days together and maybe the update has been processed earlier today.
Seems I spoke too soon. Today when switched on the TV, I am getting Error Code 4 for all the channels in the TV.
Old 5th February 2019, 21:06   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Did this and all of a sudden all channels blacked out. Did a hard refresh to no avail. All this were done yesterday, today only few channels were visible whereas the rest with error 4.

Unsure on what is going on with Airtel and i am losing hope

Most Viewed