Team-BHP - TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/205988-trai-announces-major-overhaul-dth-pricing-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 4535194)
..Not all channels are available for selection. I did not find mom's channels of sanskar, aastha etc and will bear the brunt from 1st Feb I guess. Whatever I could find, I selected. There are predecided 100 channels as part of the NCF and one can turn off from those if not interested but I was unable to replace the default list with anything else. ...

Yes, that was the case with Videocon D2H also. Badly designed website, some UI controls not working, channel selection is difficult.

As expected, DTH operators are playing dirty.

Can we remove the DD Channels that are not needed in Tatasky?

I did not see this option anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indian21r (Post 4535357)
Can we remove the DD Channels that are not needed in Tatasky?

Those are compulsory and free-to-air, I believe. They're included in the mandatory 15x/17x that you pay irrespective of what channels you chose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4535360)
Those are compulsory and free-to-air, I believe. They're included in the mandatory 15x/17x that you pay irrespective of what channels you chose.

Oh thanks. Well, whatever channels fill the favourite 50 list will be watched primarily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneCollector (Post 4534573)
..I found out that multi TV prices have gone up from 240 per month to 400 per month!:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4534647)
Wow. That's ridiculous. I have 2 extra TV. So instead of paying 500 like earlier now I got to pay 800. Only if my Parents didn't needed tv channels to watch I would have cancelled Tata sky by now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithaca (Post 4534716)
Same unfortunate experience for me.
Selected A-La-Carte channels and ended with a pack that will cost me Rs 857 per month and based on the selected channel list, my second TV will cost Rs 600 per month.

Just now had a call with Tata Sky customer care rdg add-on TV pricing.

Its in slab system based on the price of the primary/first TV. If the total price based on the channels selected for the 1st TV is under 250 or so, then the add-on TV price will be Rs 200.

If its between 250 to 500 for the 1st TV, then the add-on TV price is Rs
400, between 500 to 750, then its Rs 600 and so on.

I'm quite confused if the total price of 1st TV that's being considered here is inclusive or exclusive of NCF (network fee).

Also, Tata Sky is not showing Telugu FTA channels as a group, though each one is available under alacarte. Do we need to select them individually or not requited to select assuming Tata Sky will add them automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrchandra (Post 4535391)
Just now had a call with Tata Sky customer care rdg add-on TV pricing.

I'm quite confused if the total price of 1st TV that's being considered here is inclusive or exclusive of NCF (network fee).

Also, Tata Sky is not showing Telugu FTA channels as a group, though each one is available under alacarte. Do we need to select them individually or not requited to select assuming Tata Sky will add them automatically.

The total price will be inclusive of NCF fee. Just tried that.

The Tata Sky channel selection is confusing to me.

When I select my channels on their channel selector web page, I was thinking I am starting with a clean slate. However, in the next, confirmation page, it deletes some of my channels selected saying they are duplicate channels. Does it mean there is a basic, compulsory pack with all FTA channels? If yes, it was not shown to me and where can I look it up? Also, does the price shown in the confirmation page my final price (assuming I have not signed up for any other value-added service)?

I have selected my channels and confirmed; however, I didn't receive any confirmation with regard to the list of channels and if I want to cross-check my selected channels, how can it be done?

I am going to have a mind racking session trying to explain all this to my parents who are on Tatasky. I will need to figure out which channels they watch and try the Al-La carte option. My guess is one month will go by in excess till we figure out which channels are really needed.
Shocking part was the 2nd set top box will cost rs 500 instead of rs 250.

This is just going to cost more instead of less for many.

Screen Grab of price change.
TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-tatasky-extra.jpg

Facing a head banging scenario with Airtel DTH. With the Tata Sky debacle, I took a one year plan with Airtel DTH (valid till 10/2019).

Now, I have to change my plans. When I try on the Airtel website (I am more comfortable using a computer for making the changes) by logging into my account, It shows my balance as 0 and does not allow me to change my plan without making a fresh recharge of at least 100 INR.

I tried speaking to the jokers on the customer care number and all they seem to parrot is that I need to make a recharge before, I can update my plan.

Its really a pain choosing the channels. You still get what you dont want. Cant blame just Tata Sky. Its the broadcasters who are bundling them too. Why cant they list all channels individually. We could look at our current channels and select and remove most of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murillo (Post 4535416)
..Does it mean there is a basic, compulsory pack with all FTA channels? If yes, it was not shown to me and where can I look it up?..

I got some details about FTA channels from Tata Sky after tweeting to them.

I'm attaching the link for the same. Search for FTA in the pdf file.

https://twitter.com/TataSky/status/1...886789632?s=19

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 4535444)
Its really a pain choosing the channels. You still get what you dont want. Cant blame just Tata Sky. Its the broadcasters who are bundling them too. Why cant they list all channels individually. We could look at our current channels and select and remove most of them.

You can do exactly that. It is available under à la carte option. There is a search bar to make it easier for you to filter. I did the same just now and found that I would be paying about Rs.90 less than what I would have if I had continued with one of the previous plans that I had planned to subscribe to.

BTW, I switched to Tata Sky a couple of months back and have been using the ultra HD pack till now. Had planned to get South something pack with HD access for around Rs.417/- per month as I don't watch TV at all and it is exclusively for my parents. I now selected most of the Kannada channels, English news channels and some knowledge and lifestyle ones (NGC, Animal Planet etc.). I'd be paying around Rs.325/- now. Around 16 HD channels have been selected among those.

I switched from Videocon D2H as I was fed up of their non-existent customer support where they were taking 2 weeks to respond to an email and also because they were providing only 2 Kannada HD channels. The experience with Tata Sky has been so much better. The software (option to view SD channels in letter box mode automatically), customer support, website, the hardware (a semi universal remote. No RF remote non-sense here), free live TV on 2 mobile devices (no monthly charges like Videocon scumbags) etc. The overall experience is much more polished. The audio quality is way better, esp. in channels that support DD+. When I switched to TS, Sony channels were not available, but they too came back in 10 days. Overall, I am not regretting switching to Tata Sky at all. (A rare positive feedback for Tata Sky on Team-BHP :D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrchandra (Post 4535446)
I got some details about FTA channels from Tata Sky after tweeting to them.

I'm attaching the link for the same. Search for FTA in the pdf file.

https://twitter.com/TataSky/status/1...886789632?s=19

Thanks - it makes things clearer.

So, Tata Sky is giving 193 FTA channels (named "FTA Promo Pack") free to every subscriber, i.e., content price 0, NCF 0, tax 0, so total price = 0.

On top of the above and as per TRAI mandate, Tata Sky is giving a 100-channel FTA pack called "FTA Basic Pack" for an NCF of Rs. 153/-. The subscriber can fully modify these channels as per TRAI regulations and price will be calculated accordingly.

So when a subscriber chooses a channel that is already included in the first-mentioned free "FTA Promo Pack", it is deleted as duplicate in the confirmation page, so that it isn't counted into the 100 channels available for Rs. 153/- NCF fee.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

In the confusion of the channel selection, the Network Capacity fee is the silent killer. For FTA channels till 100 (including the mandatory 25 DD channels), the NCF is Rs 130 and with GST it is Rs 153. But as you select the channel bouquets Ala Carte or Broadcaster provided, you add Rs 23 (including GST) for every 25 channels selected. When I started selecting the bouquets, the number of channels turned out to be 214, the NCF it self was rs 250.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4535412)
The total price will be inclusive of NCF fee. Just tried that.

I chose a package amounting to Rs.499 (including NCF for my primary TV on Tata Sky and got a MultiTv quote of Rs.300 at the end. Should have been Rs.400 from what I read here?