Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Guys, I'm trying to change existing Airtel DTH plan(as per new TRAI rules) on Airtel website for my in-laws who stay in Chennai. There are 3 ways to select channels : Airtel Recommended, Broadcaster Bouquet and Alacarte channels.

In the Airtel recommended plans, they want a plan with Telugu channels as base pack, but, Airtel is suggesting Tamil base packs and there is no option to select our own base pack based on language.

Later, I've shortlisted some channels based on broadcaster bouquets.

The total price based on channel prices for 128 channels is Rs 309. I think this is inclusive of GST as the prices are not round numbers and end in paise as well.

A line item called NCF is added with Rs 201 and total is shown as Rs.509.

Upon research on the net, it is Network Capactity Fee and it varies based on the number of channels opted.

The NCF is around 40% of the total price. I think this is high.

Which is the best possible way to select channels. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 23rd January 2019 at 19:34.
Old 24th January 2019, 21:18   #32
BHPian

TataSky has updated its website by providing an option to the subscribers to select their packs/individual channels as per the new Trai rules/plans.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

I have TataSky and currently have the Hindi - English - Sports premium pack in HD that costs me about 735/month.

Just checked yesterday, TataSky has provided the option to now chose channels: either each channel by itself, by TataSky recommended bouquets or packs of each broadcaster (Sony, Star etc).

When I selected each channel that I wanted (a la carte), I ended up creating a monthly plan of 1069!

This re-affirms my belief that these distributors have pulled a fast one on us by making sure very few people will actually benefit from the TRAI mandate.

In my opinion, the only people who stand to benefit from this move are those that subscribe to a specific set of channels: only movies/ only sports/ only channels that air soap operas as so on. For someone like me who has subscribed to everything because, it makes absolutely no sense. I don't want to subscribe to TataSky but realize that most channels don't work.

Also, each Star Sports channel (1/2/3) is about 22/month; problem is, you have to subscribe to each of them because you can't be sure what channel will air what sport.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:58   #34
BHPian

The network fee up to 100 channels is Rs 153 inclusive of taxes and will be some Rs 23 odd for every 25 channels. So, if one selects less than 100 channels , they will have to pay the total of all channels selected plus Rs 153 and so on.

If one wants their total DTH monthly charge to be say 500, one has to select channels(count to be under 100) whose price adds up to Rs 347.

Also, looks like its better to subscribe to a channel/pack when required and unsubscribe later in order to avoid the high prices, particularly than having many sports HD channels always..

Do subscribers having cable connection also need to pay this network fee.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 25th January 2019 at 11:08.
Old 25th January 2019, 14:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
TataSky has updated its website by providing an option to the subscribers to select their packs/individual channels as per the new Trai rules/plans.
Can't see them as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just checked yesterday, TataSky has provided the option to now chose channels: either each channel by itself, by TataSky recommended bouquets or packs of each broadcaster (Sony, Star etc).

When I selected each channel that I wanted (a la carte), I ended up creating a monthly plan of 1069!
Where did Tata Sky give that option to you? I have been seeing just a rolling display in my subscription saying that Tata sky will contact me soon. That is yet to happen.

I am a subscriber of Platinum HD pack from Tata sky for 8.5K annual cost. When I listed the bouquet pack choice from various broadcasters, I ended up with cost more than what I pay presently.
Attached is my list which I jotted down. This is for information only. The cost mentioned in the list is excluding Rs 153 which I will have to pay as tata sky fees
TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-img_20190119_173315.jpg

Even I feel the broadcasters for short charging the customers in an attempt to earn more than the DTH people.
Old 25th January 2019, 14:13   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Where did Tata Sky give that option to you?
Just go to this page: https://www.tatasky.com/wps/portal

Click on "Click here" under the 1 2 3. Log in with your mobile no./Subscriber ID. You'll see three options: Recommended Channels based on your current subscriptions, TataSky curated packs, A la carte channels. Under each, expand/click on the question mark sign to see the channels within.

Trust me, after going through those pages, you'd want to continue with what you have!
Old 25th January 2019, 14:22   #37
BHPian

Anyone on Hathway cable TV in Bangalore? Hathway website indicates the base FTA pack named 'KARNATAKA FTA (100 CHANNELS)' has to be subscribed to and the customer has the option to change the channels included in this plan. How do we change the included channels in this pack?
Old 25th January 2019, 14:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

I think time has finally come to retire the Tata Sky. Never really a fan of the service after experiencing their customer service. Selecting / subscribing to any channel was a 30-sec job, but good luck managing to cancel any pack or channel. The mobile app has improved this, but I don't get it why people do this. From potential business of Rs. 6000 annually from me, they will goto Rs. 0!

I might get the Firestick or something with the money saved and move to internet.

The biggest grouse I have with any STB service is this - Why are we paying for a channel that already has ads?? Atleast offer us ad-free channels for a fee. I am subscribed to Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, and couple other services which are more than enough for me to move away from cable TV. Not to mention in the Mumbai rains, for 4 months we have to endure sketchy connectivity.

Bye bye DTH!
Old 25th January 2019, 15:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Trust me, after going through those pages, you'd want to continue with what you have!
You bet. If Tata Sky offers the existing pack, I would opt for it rather than go for the bouquets. Will save 2K annually atleast.
Old 25th January 2019, 15:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Just read this. It says that Tata Sky has cancelled all its long term plans and will be migrating all customers to monthly based plans on or after 1st February, 2019. Details here -

https://ultra.news/t-t/44268/tata-sk...n-yearly-packs
Old 25th January 2019, 15:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

I tried logging in to the Airtel website.

1- It is running very slow, presumably due to very high load
2- It is very difficult to figure out the new packages, presumably by design
Old 25th January 2019, 16:30   #42
BHPian

Does it mean everybody has to choose the new packs as mandated by TRAI?

I'm subscribed to TataSky Ultra pack with HD access annual pack. I've used up 6 months of my subscription. If I've to change now that would be a raw deal!
Old 25th January 2019, 17:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Does it mean everybody has to choose the new packs as mandated by TRAI?

I'm subscribed to TataSky Ultra pack with HD access annual pack. I've used up 6 months of my subscription. If I've to change now that would be a raw deal!
Everyone has to choose anew.

Tata Sky will dissolve the existing subscription, but the unused amount will be credited to your account.
Old 25th January 2019, 17:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
1- It is running very slow, presumably due to very high load
I got a nicely jotted down list of channels which my parents want to watch on their Dishtv. I try doing that and guess what, Dishtv website is running equally slow. This is like re-living IRCTC tatkal days of yore.
Till last week, there was no option on the website to select channels as per new guidelines and now users are stuck with unresponsive websites.

Edit: Was able to make through and complete the selection. The final amount is nearly same as previous pack value. I don't see any reduction in my bill. Effectively, DTH companies are only making the customers feel as if they have choice whereas in reality, they don't

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 25th January 2019 at 18:14.
Old 25th January 2019, 18:14   #45
BHPian

Any Den networks subscriber here? Any suggestions for a good combination of packs?
I guess it is going to be very costly from now on.

Most Viewed