Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2019, 18:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I have already done that 6 months back. Got the Firestick. Use it for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hotstar. Totally worth it. You get all the movies and TV series on it, without ads and at your convenience.
Can you pls elaborate for the technologically challenged people like me? What's the price difference? I guess you will need a good broadboand connection too on monthly basis right? Does it not all add up to the same cost as the DTH?
Old 26th January 2019, 18:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can you pls elaborate for the technologically challenged people like me? What's the price difference? I guess you will need a good broadboand connection too on monthly basis right? Does it not all add up to the same cost as the DTH?
Girish Bhai, How are you and hope your Punto is still revving.

Amazon Fire Stick - 3000 bucks. This is a one time payment for the device that makes your TV smart. It is similar to Chromecast etc.
Amazon Prime - Free Subscription for Airtel Postpaid Users (I think for 599 plan and above) else annual subscription is around 2k i think
Hotstar - 999 annual subscription
Netflix - 500 per month but can be shared between users so currently sharing friends account

There are various apps that can be installed on Firestick like Hotstar, Netflix, You tube, Sony LIV, Zee5 etc. Some are free and some are paid. You can decide what you need to go for depending on your choice.

I watch all new movies which seem to feature either on Amazon Prime or Netflix within a couple of months of release. Then there are series like Sacred Games and Mirzapur etc on Netflix.
Hotstar primarily is for Formula 1.

Regd Broadband, I do not have one. I simply use my mobile as a hotspot. Airtel carries over the data so I had accumulated a lot which is being used.

Compare this to TSky where I used to pay around 450 per month for the shoddy Tata service and the downtime during monsoon.

Trust this helps.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 26th January 2019, 22:21   #63
BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I'm still sort of confused now.
Its like this (atleast on hathway).

First 100 channels (with 26 compulsory DD channels) comes to 150/- ( this is the NCF incl tax ). Beyond 100 channels, you have to pay 20 bucks for additional 25 channels + MRP for each of the additional selected channels + GST.

Now you can either
1. choose the FTA pack provided by your cable/DTH wala for 150/- (giving you all 100 junk FTA channels including compulsory 26 DD channels ); OR
2. you can choose to pay 150 for the 26 DD channels alone and fill in the remaining 74 channels of your choice (Free or paid).

2 is sensible since you dont want to pay additional NCF for every incremental channel after 100 channels.
Old 26th January 2019, 23:25   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried the dd free dish dth service? What's the pros/cons view of this?
Old 26th January 2019, 23:31   #65
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
2. you can choose to pay 150 for the 26 DD channels alone and fill in the remaining 74 channels of your choice (Free or paid).
2 is sensible since you dont want to pay additional NCF for every incremental channel after 100 channels.
This is what i am given to understand,atleast that is what i could decipher from the press release. This has to be done by 31st January, right?

But as per the newspaper link in my previous post, this is not so. What it says is," the authority has clarified that the base pack just includes the network capacity fees of 100 channels. If a customer chooses pay channels in their base pack, “it is obvious that the MRP charges will be in addition to network capacity fee”.
Perhaps the above is applicable from 1st February then?

Anyways, I'll be going to my cablewallah tomorrow & handover the list of 50 odd channels(free+paid) which i want & then let's see what happens. Whether I've to pay Rs 153 or a whole lot more will be more clear end of next month when the person comes home to collect the amount.
Old 27th January 2019, 12:07   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to select channels today on TataSky and I must say, they're at cheating again. I tried about 6 times when I finally I was able to select channels. Everytime I would select channels, the website would reload in middle of selection process. It was really irritating. I even lodged a complaint with them. Finally when I was able to do all selection process, I found out that multi TV prices have gone up from 240 per month to 400 per month!

I'm really waiting to go in for a better network provider with net based contents also.
Attached Thumbnails
TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-img_20190127_095030.jpg  

Old 27th January 2019, 12:08   #67
BHPian

Silly question but can we remain on the previous packs or have to migrate to new schemes?
Old 27th January 2019, 13:04   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Silly question but can we remain on the previous packs or have to migrate to new schemes?
Either you have to migrate yourself or they'll do it themselves.
Old 27th January 2019, 14:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Either you have to migrate yourself or they'll do it themselves.
I wish someone sues TRAI because this feels like a Demonetization move which only squeezes out more from the consumer and causes a whole lot of hardship in the bargain as well.
Old 27th January 2019, 14:47   #70
Team-BHP Support

I tried calling the airtel contact center but was put on hold indefinitely. All I want to know is how much am I paying currently and how much will I need to pay to continue watching the current selection.

Edit: have reached out on Twitter now. Let's see

Last edited by Eddy : 27th January 2019 at 14:50.
Old 27th January 2019, 15:01   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I tried to select channels today on TataSky and I must say, they're at cheating again. I tried about 6 times when I finally I was able to select channels. Everytime I would select channels, the website would reload in middle of selection process. It was really irritating. I even lodged a complaint with them. Finally when I was able to do all selection process, I found out that multi TV prices have gone up from 240 per month to 400 per month!

I'm really waiting to go in for a better network provider with net based contents also.
Wow. That's ridiculous. I have 2 extra TV. So instead of paying 500 like earlier now I got to pay 800. Only if my Parents didn't needed tv channels to watch I would have cancelled Tata sky by now.
Old 27th January 2019, 15:03   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I tried calling the airtel contact center but was put on hold indefinitely. All I want to know is how much am I paying currently and how much will I need to pay to continue watching the current selection.

Edit: have reached out on Twitter now. Let's see
I have found an email to always get a response than a phone call. Send a mail to Airtel support.
Old 27th January 2019, 15:06   #73
Team-BHP Support

I just got a call from Airtel. As expected, she could not answer my simple question. She has referred me to channel 998/999 for details on package selection. She claims it's very easy, but i have my doubts. Will check when i get home in the evening.
Old 27th January 2019, 15:13   #74
BHPian

Dishtv has some sort of automatic migration and here is the output. A big scam in DTH and TRAI history I must say.
I lose about 100 channels on count. How is this consumer friendly?
Attached Thumbnails
TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-1548582147065.jpg  

TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-1548582157154.jpg  

Old 27th January 2019, 16:51   #75
Team-BHP Support

Selecting a DTH pack was never an easy task. Now with this new scheme, I am sure it has got many times tougher. Except my kid who watches some cartoon channels, none of us at home watch any DTH channels. I will let Airtel automatically migrate my account to whatever they fancy, and once the balance expires, will just kill the connection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks