Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 14:14   #166
BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Whatever you have said is right. But the biggest drawback is that you can't cast it on TV.
Old 4th February 2019, 14:21   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Whatever you have said is right. But the biggest drawback is that you can't cast it on TV.
I am not talking about casting it on the TV. I am aware that is not a scalable option even if it would have been possible.

I am talking about sideloading the apk right on to the Fire Stick. That I believe is possible using an older version of the app available online, built specifically for the AndroidTV interface.
Old 4th February 2019, 14:28   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Has anyone changed the package through Airtel website?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Same here.
Did the same thing on Jan 31st and received an message on their site that the order is confirmed. No where the new plan is displayed under my account. Still receive SMS about the TRAI rule. What is next? Order again and wait?
Old 4th February 2019, 14:38   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Did the same thing on Jan 31st and received an message on their site that the order is confirmed. No where the new plan is displayed under my account. Still receive SMS about the TRAI rule. What is next? Order again and wait?
I did this twice and no success yet. I got the confirmation with an order ID and that the package would be activated in 48 hrs. The 48 hrs for my second attempt is also over but I haven't received any SMS/email from Airtel regarding my new package. Seems like a farce.
Old 4th February 2019, 14:41   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Similar experience here. Selected new à la carte channels twice - one through website and second time by visiting channel no. 998 and then sending Airtel an SMS after decoding the QR code. Still nothing!!
Old 4th February 2019, 14:59   #171
BHPian

Perhaps I am an exception here.

I am on TATASky and have subscribed to Platinum HD South Annual Pack. This costs me Rs. 8900 per year and is due April every year. Now with mom watching 2 separate language channels from South and the inability to remove any of the other East/North/West (except Hindi) language channels, leaves me with no choice but to continue with my current pack.

If I pick and choose what we watch then the cost shoots up.

So I have not bothered at all to re-configure my list of channels and will renew the same package (if available) in April. Moreover, I hate seeing blank spots when I am channel surfing.
Old 4th February 2019, 15:03   #172
BHPian

I just checked my father in law's Airtel DTH account online and it showed the new packs subscribed and also option to add or remove. Just check website.
Old 4th February 2019, 15:30   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Perhaps I am an exception here.

I am on TATASky and have subscribed to Platinum HD South Annual Pack. This costs me Rs. 8900 per year and is due April every year. Now with mom watching 2 separate language channels from South and the inability to remove any of the other East/North/West (except Hindi) language channels, leaves me with no choice but to continue with my current pack.

If I pick and choose what we watch then the cost shoots up.

So I have not bothered at all to re-configure my list of channels and will renew the same package (if available) in April. Moreover, I hate seeing blank spots when I am channel surfing.
I have been on the same pack since it was introduced way back. It was very convenient from a content standpoint and also the fact that all new channels will by default be included at no extra cost. Now it has become a nightmare as my family wants practically all the channels . I went thru the a-la-crate option and have stacked a lot of channels however for some reason i still see some "needed" channels missing. I have no clue how to address that. Calling customer support is a "lost cause" and honestly I seem to have reached a dead end. All I know for now is I will land up paying more that what I was paying for my primary and secondary connections.
Old 4th February 2019, 15:47   #174
Senior - BHPian

People at home have started complaining about the missing channels now :( Had the South Platinum pack before on Tata Sky. We watched only a few but now since it shows lot of channels as not subscribed when browsing, people need them !
Old 4th February 2019, 16:10   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
People at home have started complaining about the missing channels now :( Had the South Platinum pack before on Tata Sky. We watched only a few but now since it shows lot of channels as not subscribed when browsing, people need them !
Frankly, if you ask me I don't remember all the channels I watch. I don't know what channels I need. For instance news - I get news from multiple channels (and multiple languages). I would be hard-pressed to pick few. Same with movies, sports channels. Maybe time to 'GiveItUp' TV altogether!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
There are too many instructions from the TRAI some of which seem confusing and may not have been implemented by the operator.
Just like RBI had its day in 2016, 2019 is the limelight for TRAI

Last edited by msdivy : 4th February 2019 at 16:13.
Old 4th February 2019, 17:03   #176
BHPian

My dad called me just now to say that not a single channel on our Airtel Digital TV is coming and its showing an Error code number 4 stating that this channel is not a part of your package on every channel including DD ones.

I had selected my preferred package on 31st but didn't receive any text message or an email confirming the same. I just have an Order ID which I had taken a screenshot of.

Customer care is not reachable.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 4th February 2019 at 17:04.
Old 4th February 2019, 17:13   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Just like RBI had its day in 2016, 2019 is the limelight for TRAI
Bureaucrats earning their keep I guess.

Anyway, I called TS' bluff and refused to change my annual 2 TV plan. I also threatened to cancel my account (it's about 12 years old) if I was forced to migrate. Anyways, the subscription is still valid till Dec '19. So I am good for now.
Old 4th February 2019, 18:19   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Bureaucrats earning their keep I guess.

Anyway, I called TS' bluff and refused to change my annual 2 TV plan. I also threatened to cancel my account (it's about 12 years old) if I was forced to migrate. Anyways, the subscription is still valid till Dec '19. So I am good for now.
Quick question - Is it possible to retain the previous annual package? I read somewhere that if by 6th Feb the choice is not made then they will change it to a pre-decided pack which fits in based on your viewing/subscribed pattern. And it will become monthly and the rest of the amount will be added back to your balance.

Does it also mean that moving forward it will be a monthly affair and no long term plan?
Old 4th February 2019, 18:25   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Quick question - Is it possible to retain the previous annual package? I read somewhere that if by 6th Feb the choice is not made then they will change it to a pre-decided pack which fits in based on your viewing/subscribed pattern. And it will become monthly and the rest of the amount will be added back to your balance.

Does it also mean that moving forward it will be a monthly affair and no long term plan?
TBH, I don't know if they will shift me to another pack. There were others whose connections were disabled for want of a customer selected monthly pack. Hasn't happened to me so far.

As mentioned earlier TRAI has instructed operators to comply with customer wishes and that includes continuing with long term subscriptions. I hope TS' and other satellite TV carriers have been reading the news and implement the TRAI directions in the spirit in which it was intended i.e. customer's wish/option is paramount and they cannot force someone to shift.
Old 4th February 2019, 18:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I did this twice and no success yet. I got the confirmation with an order ID and that the package would be activated in 48 hrs. The 48 hrs for my second attempt is also over but I haven't received any SMS/email from Airtel regarding my new package. Seems like a farce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Similar experience here. Selected new à la carte channels twice - one through website and second time by visiting channel no. 998 and then sending Airtel an SMS after decoding the QR code. Still nothing!!
I too selected the new plan using Airtel website before 31st Jan and got an SMS with a request number, but the changes didn't take place till today. While watching the TV today, I opened my Airtel App and did the whole selection exercise again and voila, the change took effect immediately. Makes me wonder if we need to keep the TV on during the selection process.
If nothing works for you, try the selection again with the TV on, and maybe you will get lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
My dad called me just now to say that not a single channel on our Airtel Digital TV is coming and its showing an Error code number 4 stating that this channel is not a part of your package on every channel including DD ones.

I had selected my preferred package on 31st but didn't receive any text message or an email confirming the same. I just have an Order ID which I had taken a screenshot of.

Customer care is not reachable.
Maybe you need to do the selection process again - try it once more.

--Anoop

Most Viewed