Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 08:46   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What happens to subscribers (like me) who have taken Tata Sky's annual subscription ? Will Tata Sky honour the annual subscription for the remaining period ?
Yes, they will honour the pack as advised by TRAI. If you have a long term subscription just do not make any changes on the TS site and let the previous package run its course.

See this post - Long term packs (TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing)
Old 15th February 2019, 12:13   #227
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Most of the channels have disappeared from my tv set! I'm only getting the likes of MTV, Colors,Zoom & free to air channels now. On asking my cable operator, I was told channel has switched it off & they will air again in 2 days.

I'm yet to submit my list of channels & on me questioning them if that is the reason why channels have stopped airing , i was told it wasn't. They have told me to submit my list before this month end. On me informing them that the deadline for implementation has been extended to 31st March, they were clueless!
My Mom is furious is with me as her favourite regional channels have stopped airing.

Last edited by PPS : 15th February 2019 at 12:34.
Old 15th February 2019, 13:19   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What happens to subscribers (like me) who have taken Tata Sky's annual subscription ?

Will Tata Sky honour the annual subscription for the remaining period ?

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yes, they will honour the pack as advised by TRAI. If you have a long term subscription just do not make any changes on the TS site and let the previous package run its course.
I dont think that is possible with Tata Sky. I too have a long term Tata sky subscription and based on the news on the forum, I had argued with Tata sky to continue with the long term pack which they flatly refused. They credited my Tata sky account with the balance amount and have been deducting amount on daily basis as per the new pack selection.

If anyone has got the long duration pack continued, do let me know what process was followed?
Old 15th February 2019, 13:32   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If anyone has got the long duration pack continued, do let me know what process was followed?
There is no procedure. I too had an argument with the TS Rep just before the 1st Feb target date rolled in. This was about 5 weeks after I renewed the subscription. Told him in no uncertain terms I would cancel and ask for a refund. TRAI has clearly mentioned DTH operators must comply with customer wishes.

I have left the pack as is without any modifications and it has continued in this manner till today without TS making any arbitrary changes. YMMV of course.
Old 15th February 2019, 16:39   #230
BHPian

Anyone having Hathway cable? What are they offering? My cable operator refuses to give any selected channel and forcing me to opt for their bouquet which includes FTA from 4 languages.
Old 18th February 2019, 17:42   #231
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have DishTV. How do I go about choosing my channels? Is there a way to do it on the website - I cannot find it?

Also, if I have an active pack & want to change from that to choosing my own channels - will the money be adjusted?

Last edited by carboy : 18th February 2019 at 18:05.
Old 18th February 2019, 17:49   #232
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Has any of your cable operators imposed 'operational charges' on your subscription?
My operator informs me that I'll have pay Rs 50 every month as operational charges!
Old 18th February 2019, 18:11   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
My operator informs me that I'll have pay Rs 50 every month as operational charges!
How many channels have you opted for, in addition to the 100 Free To Air channels?
Old 18th February 2019, 18:22   #234
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Anyone having Hathway cable? What are they offering? My cable operator refuses to give any selected channel and forcing me to opt for their bouquet which includes FTA from 4 languages.
Please go to the Hathway website and under Digital Cable you will see Online Request Form. Validate yourself with your set top box smart card number. Use the page to choose the packs/bouquets/a la carte channels you wish to subscribe to (if confused, use the channel selector + optimize button on the TRAI website first to see how best you can choose the packs for your needs). When done with choosing channels, save a screenshot of your selections which will also have break up of pricing. Now hit Submit. Once submitted, it should give you an option of downloading a PDF of your selections, but it usually errors out, hence the screenshot
Submit a print of the screenshot to your cable operator (it seems redundant since we already submit the selections online, but it is what it is!) and activation should be done in 3-4 days. Online payment does not work yet, so the amount displayed (monthly) on the online request form is collected by your cable operator. I was told the online payment and renewal will be available in a month or so.

Last edited by NPV : 18th February 2019 at 18:27.
Old 18th February 2019, 18:25   #235
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
How many channels have you opted for, in addition to the 100 Free To Air channels?
Nothing.
Total number of channels is 84 (28 FTA + 56 pay channels). What has that got to do with operational charges? I believe NCF increases if you cross the 100 channel mark.
They seem to be illegal to me, just like how car dealers include 'handling/logistics' charges.
Old 18th February 2019, 18:48   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Total number of channels is 84 (28 FTA + 56 pay channels).
NCF goes up only if you want to see more than 100 channels. In your case, since you have not chosen even 100, your outgo should be ₹130 as NCF + Cost of 56 pay channels + 18% GST on both.

Anything over and above this sum is illegal.

On a related note, with the changed regime, there is no reason for normal cable TV viewers not to shift to DTH connections. Till now, we were being given a good number of channels at prices that were much cheaper than all DTH operators. Now, everyone offers our chosen channels at the same prices. So, if the local cable guy demands excess fee, its easier to migrate. An additional advantage is that since DTH provides the option of choosing your channels online, it is easier to opt for temporary packs/channels.
Old 18th February 2019, 18:57   #237
BHPian

In Trivandrum , no operators are allowing to select FTA channels . They create there on bundle and ask us to choose the bundle and select the pay channels .The FTA's are generally religious and ad channels along with DD . Looks like it kind of organized push to make the FTA's non selectable and extract more from the customers.
Old 18th February 2019, 19:39   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
In Trivandrum , no operators are allowing to select FTA channels . They create there on bundle and ask us to choose the bundle and select the pay channels .The FTA's are generally religious and ad channels along with DD . Looks like it kind of organized push to make the FTA's non selectable and extract more from the customers.
True.

Even in Karnataka, if I go by my friends' and family's experiences across different towns and also add my own to that, I end up getting a feeling that cable operators are trying to fleece their customers by making the FTA pack of 100 channels unchangeable-non negotiable. As you rightly say, most free channels are useless. In addition to the mandatory DD pack, there are channels from most regional languages - ones that we are very very unlikely to watch, ever. The situation is complicated further because there are many free channels that I would like to watch. But when added to my chosen list, they end up costing a rupee .

Hence, DTH connections appear better now.
Old 18th February 2019, 20:15   #239
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
In your case, since you have not chosen even 100, your outgo should be ₹130 as NCF + Cost of 56 pay channels + 18% GST on both.

Anything over and above this sum is illegal.
We have Hathway connection and have chosen just 44 pay channels via bouquets and a la carte - their charges are Rs.130 (for the Karnataka free FTA package which is default and is automatically included) + cost of 44 channels (bouquets and a la carte) + additional NCF of 40 (Rs.20 for every 25 channels, so Rs.40 for 44 channels) + GST

I had mentioned this in an earlier post as well. Not sure if this additional NCF charges are correct. The Hathway website calculates this and breakup is displayed as you choose your channels.
Old 18th February 2019, 20:53   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
We have Hathway connection and have chosen just 44 pay channels via bouquets and a la carte - their charges are Rs.130 (for the Karnataka free FTA package which is default and is automatically included) + cost of 44 channels (bouquets and a la carte) + additional NCF of 40 (Rs.20 for every 25 channels, so Rs.40 for 44 channels) + GST
That's where DTH connections score over the DENs, Hathways and CITIs of the cable world. What is the meaning of choice when one can't actually choose the channels he likes to watch and reject those that he doesn't. The FTA pack is a scam, filled with junk to ramp up the numbers. You should ideally be able to decide which FTA channels you would like to retain.

However, most consumers will prefer to pay an additional fifty bucks instead of investing 1500-2000 rupees more for a new connection. The cable operators know this well!

TRAI website is pretty clear and straightforward in this regard. Here's my choice of channels:

25 Mandatory + 13 FTA (selected by me) + 56 paid (bouquets and individual channels) = 94
Attached Thumbnails
TRAI announces major overhaul of DTH pricing-screenshot_20190218205654798_com.brave.browser962x1279.png  

Last edited by dailydriver : 18th February 2019 at 21:05.

Most Viewed